Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snow. Primitivo Yay or Nay?

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Heya peregrino peeps.

I've been live on the Camino for longer than four months and this is my first "live" post, derp.

Anyway. We're here in Ribadeseya and snow is closing in on us. It's on the hilltops very close to the Camino, the Picos de Europa are completely snowed under (so pretty), and now we heard that there "might" be a ton of snow on the Primitivo and the police "might" have closed off the path due to pelgrim safety.

Can anybody tell me if these rumors are based on anything - has this happened before, what's the advice on walking if there's a ton of snow? We could continue on Del Norte: but the weather here is terrible too with nonstop rain, thunderstorms and hailstorms. Fun!

Saludos,
Peregrino Gwaihir

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing comes up under obvious search terms.

Where would you suggest such closure information might be posted?

There are two factors with winter walking; natural selection and common dog sense.

Camino Frances Napoleon route got closed in winter only after too many years with actual casualties. I'm not aware that the natural selection process has yielded similar results on Primitivo. So you are left to your own common dog sense.

How much experience do you have with winter conditions in mountains? Do you have the wherewithal to survive a night (or more) lost in the 'wilderness'? If you don't know then common dog says don't try it. You shouldn't be relying on police to decide for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Annie, no - I'm running out of time. End of November is my absolute deadline unfortunately.

Hmm. It's just I don't have enough knowledge about the Primitivo, specially in these conditions. There are no sources here on the forum saying the Camino was shut, this was just a couple I met on the way. They said that if cars are required to wear chains, then don't go walking there.

Can I survive in winter conditions? During the day, yes. During the night, no. I'll enquire a bit further about albergues in Oviedo.

"The authorities" don't "close the Camino" on the Primitivo, because they assume hikers can see the albergues are closed and no one with any good sense is hiking over snow-covered trails in gale-force wind conditions.
I help to run an albergue on the Primitivo, in Grado. We close at the end of October and don't open again until March, because the mountains are not fit to travel in winter when no one else is coming along behind you. You could get hurt up there, and no one would find you. Walking over mountains in wintertime is dangerous. The Primitivo is a mountain camino. So unless you have some pressing reason to go there, wait til spring.

Ah ok. I thought there were quite a few people on the Primitivo atm. But I could be mistaken.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the bus is your friend, you know that already :) take the bus to where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits your clothes.
it is no use to walk where you can't.

and please don't sleep in your tent in these conditions, unless you have a bivvy bag (and you don't).

Aemet weather website:- Snow for Grado is given at 800mts for Thursday and 700mts on Friday, both with 100% probability - Puerto de Palo is over 1000mts.
Similar for A Fonsagrada. Looks like you would walk right into it if you go on the Primitivo. Maybe keep on the Norte.
If the road is closed or on chains for cars there will probably be no public transport over the pass, and even where there is it is only one bus per day.
Stay safe and Buen Camino

If you stay on the Norte but go via Oviedo then you will have 2-3 days respite from the Coastal conditions, hopefully the weather takes a turn for the better in that time on the coast. In Oviedo at the Albergue de Peregrinos it may be possible to get clearer info on what lays ahead and your options.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks peoples!

Don't worry Mina, I'm not insane (just unwise). I did meet a few hardasses who were sleeping outside in just... a tarp 0_o.

Sounds like it's a terrible idea. I'm going to continue along the coast. I'm considering mixing it up and going to Fisterra first before Santiago.

I'll also ask in Oviedo.

Thanks peoples!

Don't worry Mina, I'm not insane (just unwise). I did meet a few hardasses who were sleeping outside in just... a tarp 0_o.

Sounds like it's a terrible idea. I'm going to continue along the coast. I'm considering mixing it up and going to Fisterra first before Santiago.

I'll also ask in Oviedo.

there are of course pilgrims who walked a winter camino through ice and snow. they have the pictures to prove it. but most of them did not start during a heatwave 😇 😇

I would have been home long ago if I had to endure what you have gone through *respect*

stay safe, stay warm and enjoy the ride!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back