• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow, Shelters and Pilgrims

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello friends

In April I grabbed an opportunity to walk the CF for 2 weeks and set off from SJPdP one sunny (albeit blustery) lunchtime... having pre-booked my bed at Orisson.

When I arrived at Orisson I met a lovely lady from Oz, along with many other great folks that would become friends. We decided to walk to Roncesvalles together the next day and we carried on together until I had to go home... and she carried on beautifully to Santiago.

Anyway - The weather in the Pyrenees wasn't great. There was a huge storm that night which brought down trees and we had rain, fog, sleet and snow and oh it was soooo cold! I took this photo when we reached the little shelter and told my friend to look back and see how far we'd come... indeed that little phrase has become a bit of a mantra for me in life... when it gets tough I remind myself to do just that! Regardless of the weather that was a GREAT day!

My friend entered my photo in a competition back home in Australia and she sent me a copy of a calendar today... and well... proudly announcing August is our little photo :D I'm quite proud of that... and all the amazing memories it stirs!

cal1.jpg
cal2.jpg

Happy walking folks... and seasons greetings too!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And the phone was? Enquiring mind wants to know ;-) SY

Samsung Note 3... I chose it because it has a slightly bigger screen than a phone... it was called a phablet?

Loved it! I had never used a mobile phone up to my first camino but decided it was a good way of having books, phone, blog, camera and music and so on in one small package. The camera was the most important element for me at the time.

I had promised the phone to my son when I finished the walk as I thought I'd not need one after. But my own camera broke shortly after I returned home and I decided to replace it with another Note 3... not a huge amount of difference in the price and I had all the extra facilities... and I wouldn't be without it now. The first Note 3 I bought from new but the second one I bought reconditioned on ebay... but you'd never know. I added a tough protective cover and a camera hand strap for ease of use... which also worked brilliantly on my rucksack chest-strap.

I appreciate a smartphone isn't for everyone but I loved having mine with me... ( and I think I probably just talked too much :oops:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beautiful photos!!
Good memories!!

My friend entered my photo in a competition back home in Australia and she sent me a copy of a calendar today... and well... proudly announcing August is our little photo :D I'm quite proud of that... and all the amazing memories it stirs!

View attachment 22945
View attachment 22946
Great photo! What an honor to have it printed on a calendar...congratulations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for the likes and kind words... I do love trying to capture my world through photos and I love re-living the experiences through my photos too... I took so many photos over the last 2 caminos I wonder what I'll find to photograph on the next one! :D

Glorious photos @LesBrass. At one stage I decided I'd just concentrate on one element in my photos - so just all doors. Or just fences. It is quite fun but I'm always sidetracked when a vista opens up, or something surprising hoves into view. Had the greatest fun with the simple video that is part of my smartphone - particularly when a farmer was chasing a wayward milking cow that took off down the street making for the laden apple trees.

Samsung Note 3... I chose it because it has a slightly bigger screen than a phone... it was called a phablet?

Awesome phones aren't they? The photos are spooky good! I think the camera uses some kind of image enhancing software.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lovely photo. I remember taking shelter there from the cold rain in May 2014.

DSCF7098er.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back