• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

snow tent and money

Geoff3

Hi all,
Please advise.
This is my first pilgrimage, I leave the UK on sat for SJPP.
I had been hoping to camp along the Camino but the weather does not at this point appear to be favourable for this idea.
Is it true that some places are FREE to pilgrims? As my budget is very low this would ease my mind considerably.

I am so glad to have found this sight as I have gained some very helpful information for my journey.

Thanks
Geoff

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Refugios, wether communal or from the parish, are donativos most of the time (you give what you want) or charge such a small fee that everyone can get in.

Money is not really a problem if you go to refugios. Albergues and hostals charge a bit more.

You can get meals at reasonable prices in bars and cafe that serve peregrinos menus (usually around 8 or 10 euros, including beverage).

You will soon realize money is not your main source of worries. Enjoy.

Are refugios close to one another or are the hostels closer.

Would a sleeping bag be needed for the refugios?

Also, what is the food like, im sure ill like it lots but just wondering?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
gratefull

Thanks for that. I am hoping the weather may get a little more tent friendly but knowing I can make a donation has eased my mind

Geoff

Almost every village has something to offer for lodging. Albergues and hostals are also available. I found more difficult to get inexpensive and good lodging in bigger towns but a lot of hotels are available in cities like Burgos, Pamplona, Logrono and Leon.

You need a sleeping bag or some sort of sleeping sheets to be comfortable in refugios.

Aahhh the food. Although quite inexpensive in this part of Spain it goes from sublime to cheap. Most of the time the meals are really good and reasonably priced. Stop and get some good bread and cheese or sausage for lunch. Get a good supper (available earlier to pilgrims). Breakfast will be mainly bread or croissants with good coffee in a local bar... sometimes difficult to find an open one early in the morning.

I have never been to a better place to walk and stay,eat and drink cheaper than the camino on the peninsula.
I have a 7 usd sleeping bag liner i use for a few extra degrees of warmth and cleanness. i have brought a very lite tent in case of over crowding and used it twice in the mountains of barcelona when a monestary turned me away and the city was full. sometimes the allergies are donation ,never free. usually less than 10 dollars. sometimes as cheap as 4. the quality of everything is great.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back