• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snow - Winter / Spring 2014

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Snow warnings crossing from SJPdP:

Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
NE3.gif

Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 10 cm
Ámbito Geográfico Pirineo navarro
Hora de comienzo jueves, 30 enero 2014 a las 09:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización viernes, 31 enero 2014 a las 06:00 hora oficial

upload_2014-1-30_6-19-45.png
O Cebreiro

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just a reminder for those that have joined the forum quite recently and therefore haven't followed the threads regarding 'winter/snow' from last year: Please, please, please listen to the advice given in the refugios (especially in SJPdP!) when it comes to choosing your route! Last winter several ill-equipped and lost pilgrims had to rescued at high cost in the Pyrenees and at least one died. Be careful out there! Buen Camino! SY

I hope to cross the Pyrenees a little over a week from now, and am tempering my enthusiasm to do so by walking on snow and during snow storms here in the nearby mountains (~ 1100 meters). I second the admonitions of Susan and others to seek and heed the advice of local authorities and townspeople who know and understand the difficulties (and risk of severe injury and death) of crossing the Pyrenees in adverse weather. One slip on an icy patch, even while walking with poles, could leave one helpless to move onward or backward to safety.

Historically, a pilgrimage begins from one's home. For those of us who do not live in St. Jean Pied de Port or other points east the Pyrenees, there is no more reason to "have to" cross the Pyrenees than any pilgrim in history who lived in Spain or crossed the sea from England. If the weather conditions are adverse in early February, then I shall begin my pilgrimage from Pamplona and be happy to have a few extra days time to enjoy my walk.

A un camino bueno y seguro.

Another two inches of snow is predicted for Roncesvalles on Saturday:
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
NE3.gif

Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 5 cm
Hora de comienzo sábado, 01 febrero 2014 a las 06:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización sábado, 01 febrero 2014 a las 18:00 hora oficial

You can be lured onto the Napolean Route by clear walking at the beginning. When you hit the top, the trail and the markings disappear in the snow. One false step on the cross country walking, and tragedy can result. The Canadian/Argentinian last year was not found for about a week.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Weather and road condition links.
This thread has several weather related links which could be of help to any pilgrim even though it is in the Camino Primitivo section of the forum. Although posted originally to help with seeing condtions there (CP) they can also (mostly) be used for other areas of either N Spain or the whole of Spain. Zooming in/rolling over etc gives places and conditions. Note that they do not give the state of the Camino between SJPP and Roncesvalles, but would still be an indicator. As ever, local advice should also be taken.
Buen (safe) Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have just returned from wal!ing the Camino, beginning on Dec 15th. At the pilgrim office it wasn't even considered an option to go over the top of the Pyrenees. I was pretty firmly told to go via Valcarlos. I want to put in a word for this route. It was very pleasant walking for the first part of the journey, and you still have a fairly arduous climb on the second part, more than likely with some snow, but manageable, at the top. The albergue, and the village of Valcarlos, is a delight. I had one of the better meals of my Camino at the bar there. I get the feeling that many people think of this as a inferior option, and I want to encourage people not to think this way. Both routes are well worth walking, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised when I travelled this way! Janet

Another 2" of snow in Roncesvalles today, and strong winds to 80 kph.

Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
Fenómeno
NE3.gif

Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 5 cm
Hora de comienzo lunes, 03 febrero 2014 a las 18:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización martes, 04 febrero 2014 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
Fenómeno
VI3.gif

Viento
Rachas máximas : 80 km/h
Ámbito Geográfico Pirineo navarro, Vertiente Cantábrica
Hora de comienzo lunes, 03 febrero 2014 a las 10:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización lunes, 03 febrero 2014 a las 15:00 hora oficial

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year when I walked the Napoleon route (May 10th) it was poor visibility. We didn't have to walk through snow but there was some remnants at the side of the path at places. So I missed those fantastic views that I hoped for. It would be easy to repeat this year with the hope of more luck but when I walk at the same time this year I will take the Valcarlos route regardless as I want to experience the diference. By the way I agree with the comment above about not perceiving SJPdP as the necessary start point, I only do so because the flights from England to Biarritz make it the easiest starting point for me.

Thank you for this thread!

I will be departing St. Jean Pied de Port the first week of April 2014. I will arrive there from Pamplona, so it sounds like there are three known options:
- if the weather doesn't permit a safe passage over the Pyrenees, begin in Pamplona
- if weather doesn't permit passage over Napoleon route, I can take Valcarlos
- weather may permit safe passage over Napoleon route

It's good to have an idea of possible options and I am by no means attached to any outcomes. Let the camino decide!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wind and then snow Monday to 4 inches:

Elaborado: sábado, 08 febrero 2014
Validez: martes, 11 febrero 2014 a las 00:00
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
NE3.gif

Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 10 cm
Hora de comienzo lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 12:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización martes, 11 febrero 2014 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
VI3.gif

Viento
Rachas máximas : 85 km/h
Ámbito Geográfico Pirineo navarro, Vertiente Cantábrica
Hora de comienzo lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 06:00 hora oficial
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
VI3.gif

Viento
Rachas máximas : 90 km/h
Hora de comienzo lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 12:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 19:00 hora oficial
  • leyenda_verde2.gif
    Sin Riesgo
  • leyenda_amarilla2.gif
    Riesgo
  • leyenda_naranja2.gif
    Riesgo Importante
  • leyenda_rojo2.gif
    Riesgo Extremo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a small point if you are thinking about which route to take from SJPDP, to go either Route Napoleon (over the top) or via Valcarlos.
When I commenced my pilgrimage on 20th April 2012, the pilgrim's office had informed me NOT to take the route over the top but to go via the Valcarlos route.
That was fair enough by me. I had worked for the emergency services for over 27 years and I always heed safety advice.

After walking for about10- 15 minutes out of SJPDP. A pilgrim came towards a group of us saying, we were on the wrong route and the route was for cyclists. He then redirected us onto another route which we all followed.

To cut a long story short, we ended up at Orrison. Other pilgrims were walking past ignoring the safety advice. I took a calculated risk, cancelled my Orrison night stay and proceeded to walk to Roncesvalles. There was snow at the top once you left the main road, it was cold and I was starting to tire after 6 hours of walking and I was out of my comfort zone.Fortunately, good luck was with me and I arrived safely at Roncevalles monastery.

I was foolish enough not to have checked the route for myself. Because it was the start of my pilgrimage, I was happy to go with the flow.

So folks, heed the advice from the pilgrim's office and when leaving SJPDP MAKE SURE that you are on the right route.
Enjoy YOUR Camino.

Charlie

Today, another 6" of snow:

Avisos Meteorológicos: Navarra. Pirineo navarro
Evolución horaria de avisos por zonas
Ver todas las zonas
Pirineo navarro
Ver fenómenos
lun 10

Elaborado: lunes, 10 febrero 2014
Validez: martes, 11 febrero 2014 a las 00:00
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
NE3.gif

Nevadas
Acumulación de nieve : 15 cm
Hora de comienzo lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 09:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización martes, 11 febrero 2014 a las 00:00 hora oficial
Riesgo:
Nivel de riesgo
leyenda_amarilla2.gif

Fenómeno
VI3.gif

Viento
Rachas máximas : 90 km/h
Hora de comienzo lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 09:00 hora oficial
Hora de finalización lunes, 10 febrero 2014 a las 15:00 hora oficial

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back