A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

LIVE from the Camino Snowing in Chanaleilles

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances August/Sept 2016
Camino Frances Sept/October 2017
Le Puy to Conques May 2018
We are Chanaleilles, which is 15km past Saugues on the Le Puy route, it has been snowing since very early morning. About 6-7 inches has settled and it’s minus 1. Some pilgrims have continued to walk but this is a planned rest day for us. Others have bussed out. At the moment we have the gite to ourselves.

We were not too sure about how to proceed as apparently 2 pilgrims died in the snow and fog a couple of years ago.

We have decided to walk on the road instead of the track but it depends on the weather of course, we are pilgrims but not too purist to ditch common sense.

Two days ago we were walking in 22c degrees. I’ve attached some photos, the best is yesterday’s photo of the cafe compared to today’s snow photo of it.

Attachments

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
'
Didn’t think it would still be snowing.
OTOH, many of us are not surprised. It's the days of the Ice Saints / Saints de Glace / Eisheilige. In parts of the Northern Hemisphere, the period from May 12 to May 15 is often believed to bring a brief spell of colder weather in many years, including the last nightly frosts of the spring. Each time there is a cold snap around this time, the myth is confirmed. :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
camino frances,camino del norte,camino frances
We are Chanaleilles, which is 15km past Saugues on the Le Puy route, it has been snowing since very early morning. About 6-7 inches has settled and it’s minus 1. Some pilgrims have continued to walk but this is a planned rest day for us. Others have bussed out. At the moment we have the gite to ourselves.

We were not too sure about how to proceed as apparently 2 pilgrims died in the snow and fog a couple of years ago.

We have decided to walk on the road instead of the track but it depends on the weather of course, we are pilgrims but not too purist to ditch common sense.

Two days ago we were walking in 22c degrees. I’ve attached some photos, the best is yesterday’s photo of the cafe compared to today’s snow photo of it.

Advertisment

LakeMcD

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015
Portuguese 2016
GR10/Norte/Primitivo 2017
Chemin LePuy: 2018
I have seen pictures of snow in LePuy yesterday as well

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Camino Frances, Camino FInesterre, Camino Muxia
2014 Via de la Plata
2016 Norte
2017 plan to walk Portuguese, san Salvador & Primitivo
Are there any updates from anyone on the current conditions. I don't start walking until Monday 21/5 and also wasn't bringing heavier gear. So how is it there now?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I would like to know, too. I arrive in Le Puy on May 31st. Have added a few warmer layers to my pack, but would prefer leaving them at home.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Katia Taam The Le Puy Route 9

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 163 25.5%