• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino So disappointed, incorrectly spelled Compostelas

Coreyna

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (May 2016)
Hi all, Looking for some advice, my mother and I just got back from the pilgrims office in Santiago, took out our compostellas and distance certificates to find our last names have been spelt wrong on both, for both of us.

The man at the counter had been unfriendly and really rushed us, but he did take and look at our passports so I'm not sure how this happened. We bought the tubes too so all four papers were whisked straight into them to protect them from the rain and we didn't realise the error at the time.

After walking so far, waiting over 90 minutes, donating, and actually paying for the distance certificate honestly I'm just devastated.

What would you do? Should we go back and ask them about a replacement? Should we try for a new one even though our statistic has already been noted? Just forget it?

Coreyna

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, Looking for some advice, my mother and I just got back from the pilgrims office in Santiago, took out our compostellas and distance certificates to find our last names have been spelt wrong on both, for both of us.

The man at the counter had been unfriendly and really rushed us, but he did take and look at our passports so I'm not sure how this happened. We bought the tubes too so all four papers were whisked straight into them to protect them from the rain and we didn't realise the error at the time.

After walking so far, waiting over 90 minutes, donating, and actually paying for the distance certificate honestly I'm just devastated.

What would you do? Should we go back and ask them about a replacement? Should we try for a new one even though our statistic has already been noted? Just forget it?

Coreyna

Coreyna
Go back and get it changed or you'll see that mistake for the rest of your lives.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I recall, first names at least are translated into the closest Latin equivalent. Not sure if that covers your situation though.

But they always type the name differently on the Compostelas. So I guess that is what you got as well. I have it on all my 5 compostelas.
The text of the Compostela is written in Latin and it is the tradition of the Pilgrims’ Office to write the pilgrim’s name in Latin (ref: http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrimage/the-compostela/).
As I recall, first names at least are translated into the closest Latin equivalent. Not sure if that covers your situation though.
Thanks guys, it's definitely not that, it's the last name/surname and it's wrong on both the compostellas and the distance certificate (which isn't translated)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Strange question. Go back, explain the issue and ask for replacements. Check the spelling of your surnames on your credencial while you are about it.
Thanks Tinca, we will go back, just feel so stupid that we didn't insist on looking at the time, didn't want to hold up the line. Have a full day tour booked tomorrow, and exhausted now so it will have to be Friday morning. Nevermind, and Buen Camino, thanks for the answers all :)

Thanks guys, it's definitely not that, it's the last name/surname and it's wrong on both the compostellas and the distance certificate (which isn't translated)
Aha, the surnames should be right. Then I guess you have to go back if you want them corrected.

Strange question. Go back, explain the issue and ask for replacements. Check the spelling of your surnames on your credencial while you are about it.
Also just double checked credentials and passports and spelling is definitely correct on all so i guess he just misread or something when he was doing them

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Coreyna
Obviously it had been a very busy day, if you say you had to wait 90 minutes before being attended! And presumably you were t at the end of the line!
Yes, you should contact the Pilgrim's office, point out the mistake and they will issue new one!
If, by chance you are not talking about you surname, but one of your first given names, then yes, they will not have been spelt as you thought!
Was your distance certificate ( because you paid for it) more important than your Compostella?
When I worked in the Pilgrim's Office, people also left a donation in the donation boxes! That was before the days if thus Long Distance Certificate!

Obviously it had been a very busy day, if you say you had to wait 90 minutes before being attended! And presumably you were t at the end of the line!
Yes, you should contact the Pilgrim's office, point out the mistake and they will issue new one!
If, by chance you are not talking about you surname, but one of your first given names, then yes, they will not have been spelt as you thought!
Was your distance certificate ( because you paid for it) more important than your Compostella?
When I worked in the Pilgrim's Office, people also left a donation in the donation boxes! That was before the days if thus Long Distance Certificate!

Yes it was quite a long wait in these tired old feet, we probably just got unlucky with the arrival time, there were still quite a few people waiting behind is as well so I can understand their rushing!

Definitively talking about the last / surname :)

The compostella to me was much more important, I just felt it's a little more reasonable to complain about a mistake on the distance certificate given you've paid extra outside of the donation box. We did donate as well of course though!

The Camino has been teaching me patience and going with the flow without complaint which is why I was loathe to go back and bother them, I appreciate everyone's support to get it fixed up though.

Muchas gracias!

Just one hint.....go to the office when there is not the big rush on!
When? Either between 12 and 1 o'clock, when the Pilgrim's mass is taking place. There us a distinct lull ' in business' then, or towards the end of the day, after 6.
Early morning might work, before all the people start arriving from Monte de Gozo, as the early birds usually start arriving by 8 am at the latest! You will certainly not have to wait in one long cue at these hours!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Pilgrim Office will replace Compostelas by mail (I don't know about distance certificates). They need the pilgrim's name and arrival date. They check the logs for that day, and issue new ones. The last I heard, there was no charge for this service.

Are you sure the names aren't simply in Latin?
One of my companion's last name was "Kay" an alternative form of the Scottish "McKay." It was translated as "Katherina." So they do translate last names if they are in their book of Latin names. He noticed, requested a change, and got one without complaint by the Pilgrim Office.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Coreyna

Coreyna
All I can do is commiserate with you. Last year after waiting an hour, the guy asked for my national passport, scribbled my name on it and handed it back without looking up at me or interrupting his conversation with the guy next to him. His handwriting was worse than mine - and mine is atrocious. A true department of motor vehicles experience. And don't get me started about those crappy tubes. The paper gets tucked into the tube so it's hard to get the compostela out without damaging it. 2€! Please.

Thanks everyone, I really don't think it's a Latin translation thing, my mums first name was translated into Latin on the compostella and not on the certificate of distance. Additionally my last name wouldn't be in the book as the Australian government essentially made it up when my grandmother came over as a refugee because her Actual Polish surname was too long and difficult. My surname is Blachut and it's been written as Blanchut.
So pleased to hear people have gotten them replaced with no troubles, will definitely do it here as I don't want them to have to post all the way to Australia! :)

All I can do is commiserate with you. Last year after waiting an hour, the guy asked for my national passport, scribbled my name on it and handed it back without looking up at me or interrupting his conversation with the guy next to him. His handwriting was worse than mine - and mine is atrocious. A true department of motor vehicles experience. And don't get me started about those crappy tubes. The paper gets tucked into the tube so it's hard to get the compostela out without damaging it. 2€! Please.
Lol Steven I'm sorry to hear that, that was exactly our experience and it was such a shock given the kindness we've encountered everywhere else on our Camino. I think he was just stressed, I hadn't wanted to comment on the handwriting but it was soooo bad and the tube was as troublesome as you said, I think I'll just use our dry sack for the replacements.

Anyway, enough griping, right now my feet are up and I don't have to walk anywhere, that's enough :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When we were there last year our nes were spelled as they are, no Latin equivalent. I thought it was strange but wasn't going to wait again. Of course one year the name looked very similar to a part of a man's privates...so why complain. ;-)

I haven't had my compostela out of the tube since it was put in there at the Pilgrims' Office. An early attempt to remove it was unsuccessful and I didn't want to damage it.

OK, for those if you who can't get the Compostella out if the tube, there is a trick.
You have to roll the Compostella tighter inside the tube with thumb and finger, before attempting to remove it. It very simple.
Personally, I do not consider them 'crappy tubes', Steven Raaen. They are there to be bought, if you wish, so that your Compostella can arrive home undamaged. It's an optional purchase!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh bugger! I'm an Aussie too. A good chance for lateral thinking. Wait until you get back to Oz. what a great excuse to go back. Start saving now (it would take me a long time, and I'm getting a bit old).

I wish I had thought of asking them to do this to mine. But I don't think SWMOB would have been too pleased with me if I had done it.

De Colores

Bogong

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last month they just quickly wrote my name. No Latin, no fancy calligraphy.
The new pilgrim's office seemed a bit less ceremonial and more business.
But they did spell my name correctly. I guess that's a plus.

I just pulled out my wife's from last September. First name with Latin version, last name correct. What's funny is that the whole thing is in LATIN, I havn't a clue what it says!

Hi,

Worth to check the Compostela before leaving Santiago, as error is human and may/will happen. My wife got hers with [first name] [city of departure] instead of [first name] [last name] :confused:
As it is tucked in the tube right away, you might not notice it at once.
Hopefully, back at our hotel, we had a look at the certificates... We went back to the office, skipped the line (heared some comments...), discussed with the person regulating the entrance and finally got another one at the desk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I remember my first Compostela : surname wrongly spelled and first name not Latinized although that is very easy. I did not mind really , was just euphoric to have reached Santiago.
Also at that time there was a huge waiting line and it was clear the people at the Office were working very hard;

Till today the Credenciales from my Caminos mean much more to me.

Last month they just quickly wrote my name. No Latin, no fancy calligraphy.
The new pilgrim's office seemed a bit less ceremonial and more business.
But they did spell my name correctly. I guess that's a plus.
Pity about your name not bring written in Latin ( if it's an 'easy' name to translate).

I'm not sure what kind if fancy calligraphy you hoped for! You might find, maybe, one person working behind the desk who has beautiful penmanship, but, no, on the whole they usually try to write in their best handwriting ( when I was doing that job, it was a great trial, as my handwriting is appalling)!
Please all, remember that about half the people working in the Pilgrim's office are volunteers. No volunteers, your hour or more long wait, could extend to several hours!
They could of course close down the office!

I have worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office for two years, and will do so again this July and August. In my experience, errors do happen. The office staff are worked very hard, and at times, things do get "dicey."

The permanent staff only totals about a dozen people to cover seven-days a week, nearly every day of the year. They are very low paid. However, to a person, they all WANT to be there. Alas, they are only human. At times, they do rush, particularly as the crowds surge. During the summer months, the permanent staff are sometimes augmented by volunteers, such as myself. I know the permanent staff to all be dedicated to the job they do. Mistakes if any, are not made intentionally. It just happens a tiny percentage of the time.

Having been on the "other" side of the counter four times as a pilgrim, I acutely understand the importance of a correctly spelled name on a Compostela or Mileage Certificate. So, it is my practice to write the name (FIRST (in Latin) AND LAST) on a plain piece of paper BEFORE I set pen to Compostela or Certificate. I ask the pilgrim is this is correct? If they say yes, I write. If not, I make the changes.

Just as an FYI, I have also had some pilgrims react vehemently to the Latin spelling of their given name. Sometimes, their given name in Latin is not something they prefer, to put it mildly. In that case, I simply ask the Pilgrim WHAT NAME they want me to write. In my view the customer (Pilgrim) is mostly right.

Also, although not strictly required, I most always politely ask to see a passport or a national identity card up front, just so I can clearly see the "correct name spelling." All countries except the US have these identity cards. Most all European folks carry only these cards and not their formal passports when traveling. Everyone has at least one of these documents on them; passport OR identity card. Yes, this takes an extra 30 seconds per pilgrim, and this can cause the line to slow at times. But, it is very important to that pilgrim. So it is important to me. I can do no less for my fellow peregrinos.

As others have said, return to the Pilgrim Office with the incorrect Compostela or Certificate, and a document establishing the correct spelling of your name if you can. However, if you are not in Santiago de Compostela, mail a request to:

Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino
Rúa Carretas, nº33
15705 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña – ESPAÑA

Include a copy of your passport or identity document establishing the correct spelling of your surname. Do not forget to provide the correct date you first stood for your Compostela and / or Mileage Certificate. If in error, as opposed to a matter of choice, the corrected copy will be provided free of charge.

FYI, My family too had their names bastardized by immigration officers when they first arrived in the US from Europe well over a hundred years ago. I have one entire branch of my family whose name was changed completely from the original, multi-syllablic Italian name ending in a vowel to "Andrews." This great aunt entered at Boston, Massachusetts instead of Ellis Island, New York. Evidently, the inspector at Boston had no patience for a "foreign" sounding name, so he changed it unilaterally, on the fly. To this day, every relative in this wing of my family has the Anglo-Saxon surname "Andrews."

Also, and germane to the Camino, following my first Camino in 2013, someone working in the office at that time wrote the Latin feminine variant of my given name "Thomas." So, instead of "Thomasum," I was named "Thomasinam." (At least that is my closest recollection). My mother, after 60 years of raising her son, was not at all pleased. I was offered a corrected version when I arrived to work as a volunteer the following year. However, I declined as the comedy value of the original was simply too great. So, now I have both versions, from different years. I may get the certificate reissued this year if I remember it...

If a sending a letter is not your style, you can also try an e-mail, preferably in Spanish, to: oficinadelperegrino@catedraldesantiago.es

I recommend attaching a .pdf scan of your passport, together with the original information. You might also attached a .pdf file of the erroneous certificate or Compostela too, so the office staff can clearly see the "oopsie."

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the spelling errors are nice. It is a foreign country to you, a different language, and spelling variations just add to the authenticity. I would not consider changing it, in fact, I'm jealous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try to remember that most of the people doing the work behind the desk are volunteers, under a lot of pressure. They aren't "professionals," they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, so we can't get too upset at them.
Well said. I find myself getting more than a little cross at the way some of the forum members begin to start criticizing either the volunteers at the pilgrim office, or some of the Hospitaleros along the way.......We ALL have bad days, we have ALL experienced working 'under the pump' and so, a little politeness, leeway and understanding would not go astray I feel for the original Poster here about the way her name was misspelt, but her question was answered in a polite and friendly manner initially........then the not so nice response came and this was further fuelled by others......Please guys, remember that some of those volunteers would have been sitting behind those desks for as long, if not longer than those of you waiting in the every growing queues......just my 'two bob's worth here...

Compostelas are too over rated....

I find odd why people are so obsessed for a piece of paper. A couple of times when I arrived in Santiago I did not even bother getting my compostela...

Only if the office in Santiago doesnt have any queues I`ll bother.

I guess a couple of mines are misspelled as well for both the first and surname...

I respect people wanting to have a souvenir for the Camino but I find that the full stamped credential is way more interesting ! :D:):rolleyes:

Besides my personal opinion above, the quotes below have nailed the subject!

Really, if this is the biggest disappointment of your camino, you maybe ought to be thankful!

The cafe Americano I received instead of espresso as a cafe con leche almost ruined my camino. Life is so much harder than we ever thought it would be.

:D:D:):)

Regardless of how some of us may or may not feel, the Original poster here, has a right to feel disappointed...it is not up to any of us to denigrate or to make fun of something which is quite obviously very meaningful to her..and I think that it is disrespectful to do so. This is meant to be a forum where folk can feel free to come and ask questions and express their feelings and, in return, to be given support and understanding.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Regardless of how some of us may or may not feel, the Original poster here, has a right to feel disappointed...it is not up to any of us to denigrate or to make fun of something which is quite obviously very meaningful to her..and I think that it is disrespectful to do so. This is meant to be a forum where folk can feel free to come and ask questions and express their feelings and, in return, to be given support and understanding.

I totally agree with you... But, I think a lot of us have already given answers to what could be done to sort out the compostela spelling problem of the poster. The other posts are just random opinions. I dont think that make fun or denigrate anyones feelings at all. As a mater of fact I think that a forum, besides helping people with their questions is indeed a place for everyone to express their feelings , ideas and opinions... Off course one needs to be careful not to ofend anyone else. But I think at least in this post that wasnt the case at all.:D

Ultreia, SUseia!

We ALL, all of us, are entitled to our personal beliefs and opinions. Here in the Forum, as long as we treat each other with respect, we do not have to agree. If the truth be told, constant agreement is sometimes boring.

That is what a forum is for...discussion. People often disagree with me, this their prerogative and right. I will always defend the individual right to be contrary. It is nice when people "like" what I may say or offer by way of recommendation or suggestion. But it is not necessary.

We do have a positive duty to accord each other respect for their views.

I totally agree with you... But, I think a lot of us have already given answers to what could be done to sort out the compostela spelling problem of the poster. The other posts are just random opinions. I dont think that make fun or denigrate anyones feelings at all. As a mater of fact I think that a forum, besides helping people with their questions is indeed a place for everyone to express their feelings , ideas and opinions... Off course one needs to be careful not to ofend anyone else. But I think at least in this post that wasnt the case at all.:D

Ultreia, SUseia!
I beg to differ but don't want to point the finger directly at anyone, but, I would suggest that you perhaps go back and re-read - a couple of the comments Were insensitive - I don't want to get involved in backwards and forwards arguments so will now stay quiet here.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think a lot of us have already given answers to what could be done to sort out the compostela spelling problem of the poster.
I agree. Helpful solutions posted. Solution found. New compostela issued. Of course we all would be upset if the incident occurred to us, and sympathy was offered repeatedly. Everyone who read the incident will now check the spelling before leaving the Pilgrim Office counter, as the OP has admitted would have been the most prudent course of action to completely prevent it. Of all the things that can occur on the Camino, from Denise to inhaling a gnat, it was just one more thing, and certainly was not an irremediable tragedy. A sense of proportion is always useful in the Forum and on the Camino. :)

Really, if this is the biggest disappointment of your camino, you maybe ought to be thankful!
This was my initial reaction, too, but realize everyone is different. Heck, I didn't attend either college or MBA graduation ceremonies - pomp and circumstance isn't important to me.

I do hope you are able to get it fixed or find the humor in the mistake!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.