• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So Excited, Yet so Stressed and Anxious. Going this May 2012

redwahine

I am originally from Hawaii. Been in Houston, TX about 2 yrs. :? My first time ever doing anything like this. Will be on the Camino first part of May 2012. No dates yet - working with airlines to use my miles for open jaw ticket into/out off Paris, Madrid or Lisbon. This will pretty much determine my dates (arrival & depart) and starting point. I am so excited and anxious at the same time. I originally planned to go this time 2013. However, circumstances have presented the opportunity to do it NOW or never. So glad I found this forum. Got my boots, breaking them (and me) in :eek:. Going crazy trying to pull everything together. Hope to see you on the Camino. Bien Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino Redwhaine! You'll have the most profound experience of your life...
ah....the stress of beautiful anticipation! :]

Ultreia e suseia .

Buen Camino Redwahine! I am leaving for my first camino in the beginning of June and just like you I am nervous, excited, stressed, happy all at the same time! I am sure you will have a wonderful journey.

Regards Therese

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dear Redwahine, if it is any consolation I have just completed my 9th pilgrimage on the Camino (most of them short sections I hasten to add) and let me assure you the anxiety, excitement and stress was still there.

If it focuses your mind on making sure you are prepared, that you have got your rucksack down to the minimum, that your travel arrangements and insurance are all in order, then that is all to the good.

Don't forget to take of your soul as well as your body while you are preparing. What that means to you only you can discover and know.

Once you start walking all the anxiety and stress is usually blown away by the first steps on the Camino and after that you are fine.

Thank you for your best wishes. I need a little advice. Not sure where the best place to post these questions.

It looks like my time on the Camino will be limited. I can only be gone appox. 31 days including travel to and from Europe and taking 3-4 rest days. My dates look to be probably May 1-31. Given this limitation what would Camino Veterans advise??

I will depart from Houston, TX using award miles for my ticket. I can fly non-stop into Paris and return from Madrid (with connections) or fly RT Houston to Madrid (with connections). I would like to do as much of the Camino Frances for my first experience.

1. Where should I start? I would love to begin in SJPP, but I would not have enough time to make it to Santiago in just 4 weeks unless I took a bus/taxi for a few of the legs. If not SJPP, where is another good starting point? Where would I get my Camino Passport?
2. What part of the Camino is a "not to miss"?
3. What parts are more difficult (physical challenge and weather)?
4. What type of weather can I expect in May?

You could start in Pamplona which is fairly easy to get to.
You would gain 3 days from starting in St. Jean. Actually, 4 days for most as many stop in Orrison.
But...31 days including travel would not really be enough time as I would assume that would only leave about 27 actual waling days.
You may want to consider Burgos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Redwahine!
I feel just as excited as you!! I will start from St Jean Pied de Port on April 29, and it Would be nice to see you on the Camino. I just have 3 weeks, and I intend to walk as far as I can theese days. I will return another year to walk the last part of the Camino. :)

If you only have 30 or 31 days, it is possible to go from SJPP to Santiago, but does not give you the chance to smell the roses. This can be stressful too, when you feel you need to make up time, (should you miss a day due to aching bones, feet or the usual Camino ailments), or want a rest day or two in Burgos or Leon but your schedule does not allow. And stress is not allowed on the Camino!

I'm heading on my 3rd Camino starting next weekend and like you only have 30 days. I'm lucky that I've experienced both the SJPP to Santiago and SJPP to Finnisterre so don't feel any guilt about cutting out a section or two this time. It allows me to do a different start (Camino Aragones), walk my favourite parts of the Camino Francais and at the end walk from Santiago to Muxia. For me that means cutting out the Meseta between Burgos to Leon (Astorga actually). From those I've met on my caminos, the Meseta is loved by some and loathed by others. I don't feel bad about missing if it would otherwise mean that I'd be missing out of the SJPP to Burgos or Leon to Santiago segments. As far as I'm concerned those can't be missed.

If you need to cut out 4-5 days, I'd recommend walking as far as Fromista (day 15 or 16 if walking from SJPP) and in the morning (or afternoon if not over nighting in Fromista) taking the local bus/shuttle to the city of Palencia which is around a 1 hour ride. Spend a couple of hours walking the markets and pedestrian friendly shopping area before hopping one of the frequent trains to Leon. By walking at least to Fromista you'll get to experience a few days of Meseta too. From Leon you can either rest another day or pick up where you left off and enjoy some of the best parts of the Camino.

My two cents worth...

I'm not the original poster but that sounds like awesome advice dgallen. I was thinking it's a shame to start after SJPP and miss going over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. I haven't yet done the Camino but I am looking forward to that challenge in particular, even though I confess it also terrifies me ... that's why I plan to break it into 2 parts ;) I wouldn't want to miss making it to Santiago either, so cutting out perhaps a more mundane (are there really any mundane parts ... oh well...) portion in the middle makes the most sense :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done 6 or 7 Caminos, all by bicycle though! My advice is not to cut too much off the route, see how you are going and while en route you can reassess your progress. Then if necessary you can take a bus to shorten your walking time.
My advice too would due to start though in Roncessvalles or Pamplona.
If I were to have only one chance at walking the Camino the section I would leave out a day or two on the Meseta, the long flat stages on the high plateau...
But in any event no matter where you start it's gonna be memorable!

You could consider flying to Barcelona and then taking a train to Logrono.
Or a plane to Santander or Bilbao and go by bus to Logrono.

I suspect any option would cost you a day.

By my reckoning SJPP to Logrono takes 7 or 8 days.

It is a bit further on than Pamplona but not as far as Burgos (from SJPP)

If you do this you should easily make Santiago. If you arrive with 3 or 4 days to spare you could then walk to Finisterre.

The advantage of this is that it would allow you at some point to return to SJPP and you could walk to Logrono and so complete walking all of the Camino in 2 sections, one on a long journey and the other on a shorter. You wouldn't have to take a bus or a taxi or jump any of the Camino - something you might regret later. (Make sure to bring your credential so it is fully stamped even if in the wrong order.)

Much depends on your fitness and your ability to keep your rucksack weight down.

How far can you walk in a day with rucksack? Most of the guides have distances that are reasonably accurate. Start at SdC and work backwards.

Pamplona, Logrono and Burgos are all cities and all are easily reached by train or bus.

If you get to SdC really early you could take a train to Logrono from SdC and walk backwards to SJPP and see how far you get. Only joking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Redwahine:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You have 31 days minus 3 for travel, minus 3-4 days for rest per your plan. That leaves 24-25 days for hiking. I believe Graylands' suggestion of starting in Burgos is a good one. Burgos is 500kms, if you average 25kms @day it will take 20 to walk to Santiago. That would give you several days to spend in Santiago with your new found friends, go on to Finisterre or both.

There is no real starting point on the Camino. I believe you can get a Pilgrim passport in Burgos. There is a thread with the listings of all the places you can get a passport on the Camino. You could also send an email to the American Pilgrims organization and they will send you a passport.

Burgos is "The Meseta" the flattest and warmest part of the Camino, imo. This will allow you to get into daily walking shape before heading back into the mountains.

Weather will be warmer on the Meseta, cooler in the mountains and possibly wet in both.

Ultreya,
Joe

redwahine said:
I am originally from Hawaii. Been in Houston, TX about 2 yrs. :? My first time ever doing anything like this. Will be on the Camino first part of May 2012. No dates yet - working with airlines to use my miles for open jaw ticket into/out off Paris, Madrid or Lisbon. This will pretty much determine my dates (arrival & depart) and starting point. I am so excited and anxious at the same time. I originally planned to go this time 2013. However, circumstances have presented the opportunity to do it NOW or never. So glad I found this forum. Got my boots, breaking them (and me) in :eek:. Going crazy trying to pull everything together. Hope to see you on the Camino. Bien Camino
Very excited for you! I hiked it the first time in May and I LOVED it. Everything is in bloom, ie the lavender and the white asparagus is up and available. It's not too hot and not so crowded. If I gave you one piece of advice it would be NOT to worry. there is always a place to stay, always someone around. Just relax and Buen Camino!

Dear redwahine,

Congrats on getting ready for your first Camino! It's a great start... :)
SJPP is beautiful, but if it means you'll need to rush or can't make it to Santiago, I'd choose starting elsewhere. If your time is set for 4 weeks, I, too, recommend as others to start later, Pamplona is a good option that will be easy to get to transportation wise. Having walked the Frances last June/July, I like the feeling of getting into the Camino at a starting point and then making it all the way to Santiago. I think there’s a different feel to it than needing to break out of the path, but this is just my personal preference. I agree with others-- I think it's worth starting farther on the path and having time to take the experience in, then feeling like you're constantly rushing and chasing time. I would also plan on rest days-- they're important for your physical body as well as your mental and emotional state of mind.

Re: weather, May should be beautiful on most of the Camino Frances. You can expect some rain and cold days while in Galicia, but that's to be expected no matter what time of year you go. There's also some elevation and a bit more challenging days in Galicia, but nothing that can’t be accomplished, especially if you pay attention to your body and needs. The first two days from SJPP can also be more challenging, but it sounds like you might skip those.

You might find the link below with tips and things to consider.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Have you considered starting in Porto and going on to Finisterre?

It is still a pretty respectable walk and stops you turning it into a race.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.