• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So excited you could not sleep? Any Camino-inspired relaxation tips?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
After two years of my last Camino, finally I'm going again, YAAAYYY! :)
Due to reasons, I could only take one week off work in April, over Easter. I looked at the calendar and thought: can I fit a Camino in 10 days? Flying from Australia, of all places? So it happens I can, and on Easter I land in Santander to get my Lebaniego credentials, bus to San Vicente and there I go to Santo Toríbio!

I've been dreaming with my next camino for a while. I was so excited when I bought my tickets that I almost cryed and hugged the travel agent. She lived in Spain (pamplona) for a year and made me promise I would send her photos.

Then I got home in the evening... and who says I could sleep? Have you guys ever felt so happy, so excited, so wanting to start reading Gronze, Wise Pilgrim, Gronze, Booking.com, etc etc that you could not sleep?

Here I am, 24 hours later, still pumping in happiness and plus a hotel booked in Santander, but with gigantic bags under my eyes. I'm accepting any Camino-inspired ideas to relax and finally be able to sleep! o_O

(To the first funny person that says "go for a walk" - I already did! :p)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
AAww - fantastic! Understand the feeling well.

Temporary remedy, a virtual Camino ... prepare two bottles of Rioja and nibbles, set up The Way, with Martin Sheen, turn all lights off so that you get the true movie experience.
Watch film, drink the Rioja, eat the nibbles, laugh, cry - go to bed!

The Way available 2ndhand on eBay or is also on Youtube for free but not in HD.

To relax and drop off to sleep just breath in, through your nose very slowly to the count of 6, 7 or 8 dependent on how good your lung capacity is. Hold it for a second and then breath out, through your mouth, slowly for a similar length of time. Repeat again and again keeping a regular count for your breathing.
Alternatively if your mind is occupied and you can't stop thinking of one topic, try this. Imagine you are going into a house that you've not been into for years, it could be a long deceased relative or a childhood family home. Imagine that you are going in through the door you always used to enter by. What colour was the door? What what the handle made of? What was the first thing your eyes would alight on when you walked in the room? How was it furnished? What did that room smell of? When you have exhausted trying to recreate every last detail of that room in your mind, move on to the next room. You will never, ever get to completely explore the house as you'll be asleep by the second room. It is amazing what detail you can recall even after 50 years.
If your body is tense. My suggestion is you make it as tense as you possibly can. Make your fingers into a fist, curl up your toes, contort your face, tension your stomach muscles, turn up your feet to stretch your calves. Once you have your whole body as tense as possible. Hold it for as long a time as you are physically able. You may even feel your body quivering under the tension and then when you can't hold it any longer, you will automatically relax your body.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Guys, you are amazing. I had a lovely night last night, and feel quite refreshed today.
Still excited about the trip, sure, but much better!

I often cannot get to sleep as my mind wanders.............

I use a simple technique.

I imagine I am starting out walking from St Jean. Down through the old town, under the arch, across the bridge, up the street with the road rising before me.............

I'm always asleep in minutes ;) Never ever made it as far as Huntto.........

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back