• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Embarking on the Via de La Plata: A Pilgrim's Journey from Seville to Salamanca

GraemeHall

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017/18; Portugués 2019
Well, well. I have done it. Plane fare booked from Brisbane to Madrid, arriving 26 April and straight onto the train to Seville. Hotel booked there for two nights and a day of R&R and tourism before setting out on the Via de La Plata on 28 April. Unfortunately I only plan to go as far as Salamanca this time around - have to get home - so I'll be back later to complete Salamanca to Santiago de Compostela.
Already feeling like I'm on my way - a pilgrim once more. (Well, I feel like a pilgrim all the time, but now once again a pilgrim with a pilgrimage!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, well. I have done it. Plane fare booked from Brisbane to Madrid, arriving 26 April and straight onto the train to Seville. Hotel booked there for two nights and a day of R&R and tourism before setting out on the Via de La Plata on 28 April. Unfortunately I only plan to go as far as Salamanca this time around - have to get home - so I'll be back later to complete Salamanca to Santiago de Compostela.
Already feeling like I'm on my way - a pilgrim once more. (Well, I feel like a pilgrim all the time, but now once again a pilgrim with a pilgrimage!)
Well done and buen camino !

I am still hoping it might be a reality in April too … but feeling nervous about booking flights just yet.
In the meantime happy to continue planning 😊

That bit from Salamanca to Astorga has been in my sights for years! Always something got in the way, alto I have done it by train and bus, and my two feet wont accept I have done the Veedle Pee until THEY have done it :) Buen camino, good luck and Godspeed.

Samarkand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How I wish I was with you. Still hesitating - age is a factor for me. For a year now I have been struggling with health problems, and now insurance is a big issue. You will not regret choosing the Plata.

How I wish I was with you. Still hesitating - age is a factor for me. For a year now I have been struggling with health problems, and now insurance is a big issue. You will not regret choosing the Plata.
I finished my first Camino in May 2018, a month shy of my 70th birthday. One more (Portugues from Lisbon since then) and still feeling fit enough to be confident approaching los 74.

Hello Graeme….inspiring stuff! Amazing coincidence in that I was going to put a post up this morning here in Canada with the title ‘And so it begins’. The picture is from yesterday in Nova Scotia where we overwinter. I walked the Frances in May/June 2019 (amazing!), training for it for hundreds of kilometres on these trails during the winter. Booked a repeat in 2020, trained again and cancelled like we all did. Booked and trained again in 2021 only to have to cancel again like we all did. Like you, I’ve just booked again for May/June 2022 and the training began yesterday….20kms of hard going in cold, thankfully sunny weather. Big snow today and temps in the minus mid-teens Celsius next week so I go when I can.
I wish you and all the aspiring peregrinos in the upcoming ‘class of ‘22’, the very best of luck and good fortune in planning and training….I’ll be thinking of you all when I’m out there slogging the trails and not seeing a soul! Hoping against hope, like we all are, that pandemic conditions are such that we can finally make this a reality in 2022.
Buen Camino !

Attachments

• 525DDD48-306D-4949-807A-377B98E544D2.jpeg
    525DDD48-306D-4949-807A-377B98E544D2.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Graeme….inspiring stuff! Amazing coincidence in that I was going to put a post up this morning here in Canada with the title ‘And so it begins’. The picture is from yesterday in Nova Scotia where we overwinter. I walked the Frances in May/June 2019 (amazing!), training for it for hundreds of kilometres on these trails during the winter. Booked a repeat in 2020, trained again and cancelled like we all did. Booked and trained again in 2021 only to have to cancel again like we all did. Like you, I’ve just booked again for May/June 2022 and the training began yesterday….20kms of hard going in cold, thankfully sunny weather. Big snow today and temps in the minus mid-teens Celsius next week so I go when I can.
I wish you and all the aspiring peregrinos in the upcoming ‘class of ‘22’, the very best of luck and good fortune in planning and training….I’ll be thinking of you all when I’m out there slogging the trails and not seeing a soul! Hoping against hope, like we all are, that pandemic conditions are such that we can finally make this a reality in 2022.
Buen Camino !
Congratulations. Am about going out for my 1st training walk in -12 celcius but perfect sunshine in Ontario. Hoping to join my friend Jenny Heesh on the VDLP after Easter. Nothing booked yet.
Watching and hoping like everyone else that this will become possible.
Buen Camino!

Congratulations. Am about going out for my 1st training walk in -12 celcius but perfect sunshine in Ontario. Hoping to join my friend Jenny Heesh on the VDLP after Easter. Nothing booked yet.
Buen Camino!
Hi Ingrid....you have the same problem I do with temps and conditions up and down like a yo-yo! I'm repeating the Frances because I haven't had enough of it yet but I have my eye on the VDLP.....looks amazing !!

Oh well done!! So good to hear. My wife and I finished our first Camino (Frances) in December just gone, and we're now planning for a VdlP walk in April next year....a year behind you. Hopefully, there will be a social media venue you post to as we will be extremely interested in your impressions/feedback from walking this year. Such a great adventure. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino!
I have everything that’s crossable crossed that our VDLP camino will happen dear Ingrid! What wonderful and memorable times we’ll have!

Camino hugs and Buen Camino to us!

Well done! I’m hoping to fly out of Brisbane circa 20th April to start from Mérida (I did Sevilla to Mérida in 2018 before walking the Francés again). You’re braver than me booking a ticket...more trusting our Government won’t change the rules....again. Buen Camino!

Well done! I’m hoping to fly out of Brisbane circa 20th April to start from Mérida (I did Sevilla to Mérida in 2018 before walking the Francés again). You’re braver than me booking a ticket...more trusting our Government won’t change the rules....again. Buen Camino!
If I have to cancel the flights, I'm happy to let the funds sit there as a credit and use them for domestic travel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh well done!! So good to hear. My wife and I finished our first Camino (Frances) in December just gone, and we're now planning for a VdlP walk in April next year....a year behind you. Hopefully, there will be a social media venue you post to as we will be extremely interested in your impressions/feedback from walking this year. Such a great adventure. Buen Camino!
For my previous Caminos, I created a facebook group where I posted a daily record of the day's journey, plus a few photos. I'm really not sure if you will be able to see them but they are:
Graeme Hall on the Camino to Santiago
and
Graeme's Camino Portugués 2019
I would be happy to invite you to those if I knew how! Perhaps PM me about it. I'll be making a similar page this time around.

For my previous Caminos, I created a facebook group where I posted a daily record of the day's journey, plus a few photos. I'm really not sure if you will be able to see them but they are:
Graeme Hall on the Camino to Santiago
and
Graeme's Camino Portugués 2019
I would be happy to invite you to those if I knew how! Perhaps PM me about it. I'll be making a similar page this time around.
Graeme...thanks so much. I found your Group on Facebook and sent a request to join. My wife and I will really enjoy following your VdlP pilgrimage!

Graeme...thanks so much. I found your Group on Facebook and sent a request to join. My wife and I will really enjoy following your VdlP pilgrimage!
Thanks Kev. I think I successfully admitted you! Now I just hope the stars all line up and I get to go!
Next step along the way - I've ordered the new 2022 edition of the Wise Pilgrim guide from Ivar's store.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Kev. I think I successfully admitted you! Now I just hope the stars all line up and I get to go!
Next step along the way - I've ordered the new 2022 edition of the Wise Pilgrim guide from Ivar's store.
Yep....I have my bedtime viewing set up to scroll through your Group content! And I'd be reasonably confident on walking in the April/May/June timeframe. The northern hemisphere will be heading back into summer and, hopefully, a pause in heavy COVID activity. I certainly have my fingers crossed for you, but think you'll be ok.

Well done @GraemeHall !! Would love to be on the same flight from Brisbane but will wait until 2023 to do the VdlP that was planned and booked originally for 2020. Hopefully flying into (and out?) of Madrid may limit the issues with travel being confined to one EU country. I wish you well with the plan and would be interested to hear how it all goes (and just a little jealous). Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I have to cancel the flights, I'm happy to let the funds sit there as a credit and use them for domestic travel.
Travelling by train madrid to Seville is a wise choice. My 2020 cancelled flight from Madrid to Seville was turned into a credit which expired long before we were allowed to travel outside AUS again, whereas my wife's train fare at a similar time was immediately refunded. Can't beat train travel for ease of booking and refunds!

Travelling by train madrid to Seville is a wise choice. My 2020 cancelled flight from Madrid to Seville was turned into a credit which expired long before we were allowed to travel outside AUS again, whereas my wife's train fare at a similar time was immediately refunded. Can't beat train travel for ease of booking and refunds!
Train is always my preferred means of travel in Europe. City centre to city centre it's the most convenient and often the fastest.

Good for you Graeme! Enjoy every minute of your adventure... & Yes, you will be back ... we Always Ckme Back! 😉 Buen Camino fellow pilgrim 😇

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back