• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So long, and thanks for all the fish (advice) - leaving on T

sun is shining

First of all a huge Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great forum - it was a source of valuable advice and both calmed me down and made me have (near) panic attacks at times. Hopefully I'll be able to chip in with some advice myself once I come back from my first Camino!

I'll leave Germany this Thursday, flying into Santander and then catching a bus to Logrono. Friday will then be the first day of proper walking and I hope that my mothers hiking boots will bring me luck. Kinda feels like getting married: something new (backpack), something old (mums boots), something borrowed (hiking poles from my dad) and something blue (re-useable shopping bag) :D

So far my pack contains (I'l wear shorts, shirt & boots):
1x sandales (eve + shower)
1x troussers (long)
2x shirts
1x fleece jacket
2x socks
2 x sets of underwear
First aid kit
Toileteries
Camera + charger
small torch
re-useable bag for shopping/washing
Shewee
Book + pen
Guidebook
Washing line

All in all it is only 5kg which seems fine to me (hopefully). I'm used to backpacking with much larger packs as well.

The plan is to walk from Logrono to Santiago in around 30 stages staying inbetween popular stops in the guidebooks.

I'm proper scared of flying so right now my nerves are going a bit crazy with the air traffic strike, the flight itself and the 610km before reaching Santiago. Today I actually looked online for flights to India in case my nerves get the better off me at the airport :D

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Mucho amor y luz!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Packing list looks good but you seem to be missing a towel and or sarong. I actually brought both and never regretted it. Also, Swiss Army knife with bottle opener (a VERY good way to make friends at an albergue and get free wine!) Don't forget a shirt to sleep; if you're not bringing a sleeping bag, only a liner, it may get cold in the mountains. I wore summer thermals (top and capris) in May-June and even had to wear my thermals with clothes one evening in Foncebadon. Have fun.

My last minute advice is to ditch mum's hiking boots and buy yourself some comfortable trail shoes or walking shoes. The boots, especially if they're not fit to your feet, are sure to give you blisters. :( And it's so danged hot, you'll fry in them!

Otherwise, your packing list looks great! Did you bring an old worn towel for showering? The corkscrew can be purchased along the trail or borrowed (less weight).

Have a WONDERFUL Camino!
Anni

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Forget half the stuff on my list :D I also take a small microfaser teatowel. They are big enough for drying yourself and take up next to no space. And my army knife (which by now has been to 15 countries) is comming as well - of course with bottle opener :D Oh, and a small silk sleepliner as well - luckyly they were all in my backpack when checking how heavy it is.

My mum's boots are amazing - they were made for her ages ago in Italy and still look like new. I've been wearing them for the past two months and never had a better pair. However, I think boots might not be the right word (English is not my first language); they are not super high but more like normal shoes.

Thanks for all the reviews of my packing list - it is as usual herre great advice!

If your sandals are walking sandals you will find large sections where you can walk in those rather than boots.

Unlike Annie I would not even consider changing my boots with days to go. The risk of new boots and blisters is too high.

I would not take a night shirt. I sleep in the shirt I am going to wear when I walk the next day. If it is cold I sleep in my long trousers and in my fleece. The heat of Spain and other pilgrim bodies will probably make the albergues very warm.

I know ladies are much more conscious about how they smell and how clean they are, but on the Camino the wind blows it all away. :D

As soon as you get to your destination you can shower, put on clean clothes and, hey, the world is once more smelling of roses.

Safety pins to hang your washing on a line and off your rucksack if necessary. Better and safer than pegs.

In the August heat remember you need lots of water. Consider buying a platypus that you can slip in the rucksack and have your water always near to your mouth.

Have a great time. Buen Camino.

sun is shining said:
Kinda feels like getting married: something new (backpack), something old (mums boots), something borrowed (hiking poles from my dad) and something blue (re-useable shopping bag) :D

What a very lovely statement, mucho luz y amor! May your Camino be blessed with light and love indeed from the beginning to the end!

¡Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Buen Camino "Sun is shining":

Have no fear the Camino will provide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last December the air traffic control strike in Spain meant I missed two flights. Nearly gave up and returned home. Having lost six days I then got mad and undertook a much shorter pilgrimage than planned.

So, been there, done that, got the T shirt.

You have my profound sympathy.

Can you fly from one of the UK airports via Easyjet to Bordeaux?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Strike is off & only 9 hours until my flight leaves! I think it just hit me right now that the "planning" is over and thé real thing is going to start now.

Hope all of you have an amazing summer - Thank you for your help and your kind words!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A bit later than I thought it ould be but moving house and starting the new term were a bit more stressful than I thought it would be.

My camino has been "interesting" - I would not know what other word would fut the ups and downs I experienced in my month in Spain. But even with fairly frequent downs I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for all the invaluable advice and encouragement you gave me!

Enjoy the "ups" over and over.

Use the "downs" to learn, then forget them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back