• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So long old friend,

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
When Paulo Coehlo said "Do it now" he wasn't kidding. Six years ago I completed my first Camino at age 60. As I write this I'm looking at the early morning sunrise from the lounge at the airport in Madrid, having completed my 6th Camino. My 6th and last! Six years ago I had the knees God gave me instead of these two replacements. Six years ago I had not had the back injury that required a five level laminectomy and I had not had the surgery removing bones from both of my wrists. Six years ago I could walk normally and maintain my balance. Today,, not so much.
So today I sit content in the knowledge that six is enough, and that especially after this one, so crowded and competitive for accommodations, that I'm fine getting out of the way for those who have yet to walk. I may not be the man I was six years ago but I still managed 307 km on the Norte this year before my body declared it over. I'm content, and happy, and I'm done. So long Camino, it's been fun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
so much.
So today I sit content in the knowledge that six is enough, and that especially after this one, so crowded and competitive for accommodations, that I'm fine getting out of the way for those who have yet to walk. I may not be the man I was six years ago but I still managed 307 km on the Norte this year before my body declared it over. I'm content, and happy, and I'm done. So long Camino, it's been fun.
Oh yes you are defo the man!
What strength of character you must have had to keep going.
But you will have all those great adventures to carry with you forever.
I wish you all the best
Woody

@Paintboy2, what a wonderful attitude you have. I hope when my time comes to permanently hang up my Camino hiking shoes that I can do it with a similar level of maturity, contentment and satisfaction that you have shared with us today.
All the best to you in future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Robert Spenger (long time member of this forum) thought he would never get his 10th Compostela. Shortly after doing his 9th Camino at age 85, he had to have a triple heart bypass. 3 years later he had a knee replacement. But in 2013, aged 89, he joined a Slow Camino group from Sarria to Santiago and, with a bit of help he walked for 17 days with the aid of two tri-pod crutches to Santiago and earned his 10th Compostela. Then, just because he could, he joined the same group in 2014 and walked a Slow Camino on the Camino Ingles.

When Paulo Coehlo said "Do it now" he wasn't kidding. Six years ago I completed my first Camino at age 60. As I write this I'm looking at the early morning sunrise from the lounge at the airport in Madrid, having completed my 6th Camino. My 6th and last! Six years ago I had the knees God gave me instead of these two replacements. Six years ago I had not had the back injury that required a five level laminectomy and I had not had the surgery removing bones from both of my wrists. Six years ago I could walk normally and maintain my balance. Today,, not so much.
Congratulations on your latest and last Camino, and on your contentment. I completed my first Camino this May-June at age 59-going-on-60. Your lovely post is a reminder that time is not always on our side. If not now, then when?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your story will serve as great inspiration to countless number of people both in answering the call of the Camino and in resiliently facing life's challenges. Well done. You are a true role model.

You Paintboy2 are tough!💪🏼 What an example you are to stamina & grit. And an inspiration.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello @Paintboy2:

Congratulations on your achievement. You are an inspiration for many (at Lear to me).

I practically turn 68 last month, and done partial Camino after diagnosed with Parkinson’s a couple of years before, it was a challenge; but we did it ( my wife and I).
It was a challenge, because many times my mind was saying to make a turn but my body wanted to keep going straight and this worries my wife, who wanted to call off the pilgrimage.
So, after returning from our Camino, I began to plan the next one; but, Covid got in the middle. Have not stopped planning, just getting better prepared.

Take care and Buen Camino…….

1660919829816.jpeg

1660920624252.jpeg

Attachments

• 1660919743007.jpeg
    1660919743007.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 7
So today I sit content in the knowledge that six is enough, and that especially after this one, so crowded and competitive for accommodations, that I'm fine getting out of the way for those who have yet to walk. I may not be the man I was six years ago but I still managed 307 km on the Norte this year before my body declared it over. I'm content, and happy, and I'm done. So long Camino, it's been fun.Br
Bravo you! and a reminder that I should not delay...

It is wonderful to read of your contentment with the experiences that you've had. Congratulations on this last Camino, and best wishes for whatever else you will be doing!
Agreed. It fills my heart to hear your reflections. I'm walking my first (and probably only) Camino in a few weeks, and hope I'll find the fulfillment you have.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You still have many other caminos to walk for a very long time. Buen Camino mi amigo!

Well done Pilgrino you've accomplished much! Buen Camino and best wishes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done Paintboy2...this year will be the first camino on my new knee...after 2 covid years wife and I shall again live the camino...and you will be in our thoughts...much respect and happiness to you

I wish I had your wisdom; was at the same point walking my 6th last year and swore that it would by my last...at 77yo. Yet 🤷, a year later there I am actually readying my pack to leave next week. Old fool.

Congratulations Paintboy2. Your courage and tenacity are to be admired and applauded. This comes at an optimum time for me as I reach for my 79th birthday in a matter of days and was contemplating writing something about seniors, health and a Camino.

I have just finished a book entitled: "This is Happiness" by Niall Williams. It was recommended to me by a friend, Steve, who is also a fellow
Camino walker. It concerns the coming of electricity to a small town in County Clare. The passage which resonated particularily with me is written by an elderly man. He says: "I write to you from the coming apart bicycle of an old man's health. I had to read it several times and I thought that it was a wonderful analogy of bicyle and health.

First the tires start to lose air. then the brakes begin to squeal and then the bloody chain falls off. My parts are starting to feel that way. However, I will go to Spain once more next Spring as I believe that you can ride a bike some distance on flat tires and if you are careful, you may not need brakes. We are what we are and must not give in too early as you have not.

So to all, in our Camino community, whether you are planning a physical walk or one confined by your imagination and hopes; be buoyed by Paintboy2's story and I wish all of you a Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well done Paintboy - You gave it a real crack and then some!

I recon you will be remain present by halping forum members, offering sage advice and watching those Camino Youtube videos.

Who knows, a year hence, you might heal your body a bit and one can never say never!

Life is for living and you have shown us that!

Congratulations on the six, walk or not, stay with the "Spirit of the Camino."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done, Paintboy2.

During your six pilgrimages you will have accumulated much experience and trail wisdom relevant to those just starting their first few. I hope you will remain active on this forum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I am trying to do it now. Starting in October to finish the Camino my sister and I started. As you eluded to, we went in September 2019 and 8 days in could not find any bed…. So we made the difficult decision to stop. Well, I will be a 70 yr old line female the Camino starting in Longora in early Oct..
and I am going back while I still can! I will think of you along the way and light a candle.
I have no doubt there is still much for you to add to the world!!!!!

Well said. Well done. Well wishes for what life brings you in the coming years. All the best 👍😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations Paintboy2. Your courage and tenacity are to be admired and applauded. This comes at an optimum time for me as I reach for my 79th birthday in a matter of days and was contemplating writing something about seniors, health and a Camino.

I have just finished a book entitled: "This is Happiness" by Niall Williams. It was recommended to me by a friend, Steve, who is also a fellow
Camino walker. It concerns the coming of electricity to a small town in County Clare. The passage which resonated particularily with me is written by an elderly man. He says: "I write to you from the coming apart bicycle of an old man's health. I had to read it several times and I thought that it was a wonderful analogy of bicyle and health.

First the tires start to lose air. then the brakes begin to squeal and then the bloody chain falls off. My parts are starting to feel that way. However, I will go to Spain once more next Spring as I believe that you can ride a bike some distance on flat tires and if you are careful, you may not need brakes. We are what we are and must not give in too early as you have not.

So to all, in our Camino community, whether you are planning a physical walk or one confined by your imagination and hopes; be buoyed by Paintboy2's story and I wish all of you a Buen Camino
Thanks Bumpa, 79 gets younger every year. Have a good walk and I'll be looking for your posts along the way.

Oh dear. ‘So long old friend’ tugs my heart. I walked the Frances in 2017 with my daughter at 75. Had the Portuguese on my list. To do it alone or with the grandkids If possible. (I think it would be so good for them). But with Covid, sick husband and at 80 I don’t think I will make it. I live in hope but reality clicks in. So after only one walk I think I have to say ‘ so long old friend’ also. Sad.

Oh dear. ‘So long old friend’ tugs my heart. I walked the Frances in 2017 with my daughter at 75. Had the Portuguese on my list. To do it alone or with the grandkids If possible. (I think it would be so good for them). But with Covid, sick husband and at 80 I don’t think I will make it. I live in hope but reality clicks in. So after only one walk I think I have to say ‘ so long old friend’ also. Sad.
Don't be sad Nan, be glad. Think of the memories we both have that others don't, or won't. Share your stories, and live in the reverie of days gone by. It'll put a smile on your face for sure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
💙👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You make me think I'm quite nuts for starting my first one in the middle of September and having my 68th birthday about halfway.... perhaps this will be my one and only, as I'll probably require all new body parts by the finish. 🥴

You make me think I'm quite nuts for starting my first one in the middle of September and having my 68th birthday about halfway.... perhaps this will be my one and only, as I'll probably require all new body parts by the finish. 🥴
🤣🤣🤣 Haha. Why should you be nuts, because of starting mid-Sep or because of your age?
Don't worry, young man, you'll be fine!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
🤣🤣🤣 Haha. Why should you be nuts, because of starting mid-Sep or because of your age?
Don't worry, young man, you'll be fine!
My age, even though I realize I'm just a spring chicken. My hands don't always work well in the mornings... thank goodness my feet aren't feeling too arthritic! Yes, I think I'll be fine, too, mostly because I don't give up and I'm doing it in the first place... ibuprofen is my friend! 😂

You'll get the camino bug and do plenty more I'm sure. I'm about to do my 4th in mid September at 68 - I'm just going to try and go slower than the previous 3! For some reason I flew through them - think I was worried if I didn't go all out I wouldn't last 🤣 I was wrong though!

Buen Camino!!!

Walked from st j p de p to Santiago 5 years ago at 75. How I wish I had started earlier! Keep thinking when can I do the Portuguese. But 5 years older and a sick husband reality is setting in. I just read about and enjoy those who are walking now. But I am jealous!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Time brings about a change.

However, you made hay while the sun was shining.

Buen camino wherever life leads.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back