• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So long, Salinas and San Martín de Laspra

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
I'm back on the Norte for a bit, capitalizing on some leftover days after walking in France to update things from Gijón westward. Today took me from Gijón to El Pito. Partway through the walk from Gijón to Avilés, I was feeling guilty for insulting the appeal of that stage, as I kind of enjoyed the kilometers through Monte Areo. And then I got to the Tabaza-Trasona stretch. Woof.

Anyway... the big surprise came after Avilés. Instead of doubling back through Salinas and then passing through San Martín de Laspra, the route now goes through Piedras Blancas instead. Congrats to their tourism folks for finally winning that battle, I guess. It shaves a bit more than a kilometer off the route, but I don't think it reduces the pavement by much. Seems like an odd move to chop off the hostels/albergues in those towns, but it wouldn't be a terrible detour to San Martín.

1627665720145.png

The dashed-red line above is the new route and Piedras Blancas is the town on the left side of it.

There's another route change later on, near the airport. Nothing as dramatic, but it does shift the crossing of the N643 to a spot that I found slightly unnerving, and I tend to be undeterred by such things. Limited visibility and very fast-moving cars.

Unrelated to all of that: I detoured into Cudillero for the first time tonight. Seemed like a shame not to, since I'm staying in El Pito and just 1.5km away. What a delight! If you find Luarca too big for your tastes, Cudillero is made for you--similar feel, but much more compact and with a buzzing little plaza. Forget El Pito. Detour here and spend the night.

1627665888344.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, if you are anywhere near ready to stop for the day, the Albergue San Martin de Laspras is now a slog up the hill off the Camino, 1.5 km past Salinas, but WELL WORTH IT. Delightful albergue, wonderful hospitalero. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm back on the Norte for a bit, capitalizing on some leftover days after walking in France to update things from Gijón westward. Today took me from Gijón to El Pito. Partway through the walk from Gijón to Avilés, I was feeling guilty for insulting the appeal of that stage, as I kind of enjoyed the kilometers through Monte Areo. And then I got to the Tabaza-Trasona stretch. Woof.

Anyway... the big surprise came after Avilés. Instead of doubling back through Salinas and then passing through San Martín de Laspra, the route now goes through Piedras Blancas instead. Congrats to their tourism folks for finally winning that battle, I guess. It shaves a bit more than a kilometer off the route, but I don't think it reduces the pavement by much. Seems like an odd move to chop off the hostels/albergues in those towns, but it wouldn't be a terrible detour to San Martín.

View attachment 105874

The dashed-red line above is the new route and Piedras Blancas is the town on the left side of it.

There's another route change later on, near the airport. Nothing as dramatic, but it does shift the crossing of the N643 to a spot that I found slightly unnerving, and I tend to be undeterred by such things. Limited visibility and very fast-moving cars.

Unrelated to all of that: I detoured into Cudillero for the first time tonight. Seemed like a shame not to, since I'm staying in El Pito and just 1.5km away. What a delight! If you find Luarca too big for your tastes, Cudillero is made for you--similar feel, but much more compact and with a buzzing little plaza. Forget El Pito. Detour here and spend the night.

View attachment 105876
Cudillero might be a bit touristy for some tastes but we had a very welcome, self indulgent, stay there, lots of good seafood restaurants, and a pretty little village.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back