• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So Many Routes and So Little Time . . .

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Ok.. so I am going to walk the Madrid Route starting April 15. Those plans are confirmed.
Then I walk the Frances with my group until May 30. Those plans are confirmed.

Then... I don't have to leave Madrid for home until June 15.
I can fly from Santiago to Madrid on May 31 or June 1 for $40.

What to do then?
I'd like to walk another few stages of the VDLP - I stopped in Caceres.
But I understand the Embalse is closed and I'm worried about whether or not I'll find lodging.
I can't walk more than 26-28 k per day, comfortably.

I'm eyeballing the Levante Route. Looks easy to get to from Madrid.
Anybody have any suggestions for a 12 day stretch on that route?

What to do...

And mods, I think I may be in the wrong section. Feel free to move this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Annie!

I definitely wouldn't advise you first 4 days/stages on the Levante as it is mainly on tarmac and through suburbs or orange orchards. Later on the route was really beautiful in June although I haven't walk Toledo-Avila stretch due to many technical mishaps and unbearable heat. These two (with Zamora as the end of Levante, of course) are the "must see" on this route. Try to include at least one of these towns in your itinerary if it would be the Levante.

If you skip the beginning I think taking the train from Valencia to Xativa is the best option and continue from there. But of course spend a day or two in Valencia, it's beautiful city!!!

Ultreia!

Ok.. so I am going to walk the Madrid Route starting April 15. Those plans are confirmed.

What to do then?
But I understand the Embalse is closed and I'm worried about whether or not I'll find lodging.

What to do...

Annie, what do you mean, "the Embalse is closed?" As I understand it, the albergue turistico right on the water is closed, but the private place is open and takes reservations, it's called something like Alcantara Pesca. So you might want to go back and keep chugging on the Vdlp.

For the Levante, how about Toledo to Zamora? That's in the 12 day ballpark. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/levante2013-doc.5649/
That is one beautiful segment of the Levante.

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Annie, what do you mean, "the Embalse is closed?" As I understand it, the albergue turistico right on the water is closed, but the private place is open and takes reservations, it's called something like Alcantara Pesca. So you might want to go back and keep chugging on the Vdlp.

For the Levante, how about Toledo to Zamora? That's in the 12 day ballpark. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/levante2013-doc.5649/

Buen camino, Laurie
I guess I'm confused. I've heard from several sources (forum included) that the albergue is closed. I didn't know there was a private place. I'll revisit the idea of the VDLP.
Wherever I go, I need to be back in Madrid by June 14 to catch my flight home on the 15th.
I've been mulling this over this afternoon and had pretty much decided I might just drop down into Granada, Cordoba, and Toledo, each for 3 or 4 days. It's been many years since I visited those cities. But now I'm going to go ready your blog on the Levante and tomorrow I'll make a decision.
Thanks Laurie.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hahaha! I just looked at your notes on the Levante.
I saw that 40 k stage to Avila and laughed out loud.
I'd need a donkey.
Laurie, you are an inspiration and a machine!

But it does look like a beautiful route.
I need to move to Spain . . .

What to do then?

What to do...

So Annie, any chance of meeting at the Cafe Tertulia on the night of May 30th, or will you need to be with your group? I leave town by bus the next morning at 8AM, and it would be good to have a chat before I leave.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Annie - Toledo-Zamora is a great option, I did it last April in 11 days. Albergue infrastructure is fine and as far as stages there are a few 30+ days but no 40. And getting to Toledo is a breeze - only 30 min in train (Atocha station) from Madrid. Bus company Avanza has a line from Zamora to Madrid. If I recall it gets into Estación Sur.

The only 40 km day was into Toledo, not Avila, so you would miss that (and there is a way to break it up in less than ideal conditions in Almonacid).

The mountain day (my day 22) can be broken into two days with a stop in a nice looking town, Cebreros. My day 26 of 34 km can also be broken into two with a stop in the middle. There are also ways to break up the last two days into Zamora, there are albergues in between both of my end stages. But that would add more days than you may have. But don't give up on the Levante for the future, when you have more time, because it is a really great Camino.

Here is a link to the place at the reservoir. http://www.alcantarapescaevasion.com

This is not the "albergue turistico" that is down the road right on the reservoir. This is the place that has had several names and owners, you may remember hearing about Lindamar. For a while the private place was closed and the albergue was open, but now it looks like the reverse is true. If you write to them and tell them you want to reserve a room in June they may not answer you since it's so far ahead, but if you write and ask them if they take reservations, they will write you back and say yes, and then if you tell them a date that's too far ahead they will probably not answer you again. At least that has been my experience.

If you do want to dabble in the Levante, why not start in Toledo and see how far you get? Lots of places along the way could get you back to Madrid easily.

So little time ai ai? Annie my suggestion would be head to a nice beach far far away stay there sipping your favorite beverage and wait until someone finds you :)

zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So Annie, any chance of meeting at the Cafe Tertulia on the night of May 30th, or will you need to be with your group? I leave town by bus the next morning at 8AM, and it would be good to have a chat before I leave.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi Alan,
Let me figure out where I'm going from Santiago but there is a good chance I will be there and be available!
It would be fun to meet up!
Keep in touch.
PM me for my email address.
Annie

The only 40 km day was into Toledo, not Avila, so you would miss that (and there is a way to break it up in less than ideal conditions in Almonacid).

The mountain day (my day 22) can be broken into two days with a stop in a nice looking town, Cebreros. My day 26 of 34 km can also be broken into two with a stop in the middle. There are also ways to break up the last two days into Zamora, there are albergues in between both of my end stages. But that would add more days than you may have. But don't give up on the Levante for the future, when you have more time, because it is a really great Camino.

If you do want to dabble in the Levante, why not start in Toledo and see how far you get? Lots of places along the way could get you back to Madrid easily.

Thanks Laurie!
This looks fun - I'll mull it over today.
My only hesitation is the heat. I wonder if it will still be green June 1 or if it will be HOT HOT HOT!?
Has anyone walked this in June?

Annie - Toledo-Zamora is a great option, I did it last April in 11 days. Albergue infrastructure is fine and as far as stages there are a few 30+ days but no 40. And getting to Toledo is a breeze - only 30 min in train (Atocha station) from Madrid. Bus company Avanza has a line from Zamora to Madrid. If I recall it gets into Estación Sur.
Thanks! This helps!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Laurie and LTFit, I emailed the address for the guide, and the email bounced back.
Do either of you want to sell your guide?

I'm looking at Google Maps for the walking options from Toledo to Torrijos.
Does the Camino route follow the highway?
Or does it dip down then come back up?
Where does it land in Torrijos? That's a long day for me, and I can book a hotel, but it's on the highway route - Hotel Castilla. I'll see if I can find an email for the bar. Thanks!

Sorry Annie but I don't have a guide. I walked Valencia-Toledo with a friend who bought it and from Toledo on I just winged it which worked out fine except for the last stage into Zamora but heck everyone seems to loose the way there - book or no book! And I walked it alone. Only met 2 people that I ran into on 2 days.
Oh I take it back, I took a wrong turn (followed a wrong GR) on my way to Torrijos. My fault entirely, must have been daydreaming. I don't remember following the highway...the albergue is across from the ayuntamiento and police station. They called for me to open up.

Annie, I had the old Spanish version of the guide, but I just ran up to look for it and can't find it. Maybe I have already sent it to someone else, but I'll keep looking and let you know. I'd be happy to send it to you. There is a new Spanish language version, and an older English language version, so by having the old version in Spanish I probably have the worst of all possibilities.

I know people who recently have gotten the guide through them, are you sure you had the email address correct?
http://www.vieiragrino.com It says that the email is info@vieiragrino.com.

The problem with ordering this guide from the US is that they require an electronic bank transfer. But most US banks charge an arm and a leg to do that, even though it is the most common way to move money from one account to another in most of Europe, I've been told. Maybe you have a nicer bank than I do.

But to answer your question about the way from Toledo to Torrijos, I remember walking along the river but just for a short way, and then through a natural preserve of some sort. Lots of off road walking through farms. As I remember, there was nothing near the highway till the end. I would stay in the Bar el Abuelo rather than a highway hotel. It has rooms upstairs and had a decent menu del dia.

I think that maybe better than google maps, you should look at the maps made by GPS tracks of people who have walked it. I can't swear that this is the route I walked, but it looks plausible. http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7976079

So are you leaning this way rather than going back to Caceres? Happy agonizing.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So are you leaning this way rather than going back to Caceres? Happy agonizing.

Hahaha!
I AM agonizing. Too many choices.
Just can't figure out what's best to do.
At this point, I'm leaning toward just going to Granada, Cordoba, and Toledo for 4 days each.
It's been years since I visited these cities, and I'll probably do just as much walking there.
I"ll have walked already for 6 weeks and might enjoy a more restful end to my trip.
I'll also have completed the stages on the Madrid route that I missed last trip, so I can check that one off.

But now I have THREE options for next year: Finish the VDLP; walk the Ebro, and now the Levante!
Kowabunga, I hope I can stay healthy until I'm 100 so I can walk all these routes!

I can see that I will have to take the plunge and figure out the GPS jargon and apps, so that I can walk these more obscure routes.

My husband has just discovered that he may be able to take some extra time off this year. In addition to walking VdlP with me and our son from Merida February 18-28, he may be able to take off for our planned Easter walk as early as March 12th. And my big work project will be done in two weeks, and there is NOTHING happening until April on the next one, and I still won't have used up all my holidays from last year...

I wonder how far we can get in the available time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@C clearly Don't worry, you do not need a gps to walk these routes, some people just like having it. They are in most cases (fairly) well marked. I have walked the Levante and Mozárabe (from Granada) by myself - ie no one else walking - without extra gear and it is definately possible. As long as you don't mind getting lost from time to time. But then again, it just might be me:oops:

Agree with LT - I didn't even know what GPS was when I walked the Levante. The guidebook is quite sufficient, and the marking is very good, except in towns sometimes. But there are always people nearby if you get lost in a town.

Having walked the Olvidado and the St. Jaume with my GPS, I would say it saved me from what would have been unpleasant but not critical situations twice -- once on the Olvidado, up on a hill at an abandoned coal mine, and once on the St. Jaume after Vic in a logging forest. But I am rethinking the whole GPS issue based on LT's comment on another thread -- it's not clear to me that the weight is worth the slight bit of protection it may actually have provided me. (And I won't mention the times when I couldn't even figure out how to use the GPS when I was walking with LT from Montserrat). Let's face it, there are very few times on any camino I know of where a wrong turn could mean disaster.

In the years before I had my GPS, I also walked solitary untraveled caminos, some with a mountain stretch or two. (Lebaniego/Vadiniense, Invierno years ago). And lived to tell the tale!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back