• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

So nervous about first night in SJPP

SooYunKim

Time of past OR future Camino
09.22.2014 - 11.1.2014 Camino Frances from SJPP & Camino Finisterre-Muxia
I will be arriving in SJPP around 8:00pm on September 21st by ALSA(from Madrid-Pamplona)
and am so nervous that if I can get a place to stay the night and food that late.
I tried to make a reservation at L'espirit du Chemin but they seem to be all booked up for that day.
Is there any albergue, restaurant or store open that late in SJPP?
So nervous and worried, I got a whole village of butterflies in my stomach.
Help, please? :^)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't worry, 8 pm is not late and the village/town doesn't shut that early. I'm sure someone knows how long the Pilgrim office is open in the evening, but I think the last train is not until 10.30 or something and those people also need a place to sleep, so something will be open. The main street is full of shops, pensions and hostels as far as I remember and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just get to the Pilgrim office and they will help you! Buen Camino and let those butterflies go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SooYunKim,

In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with weather/trail information, Credential, shell and on-site lodging assistance. Their volunteers also help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle; if their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
THANK YOU SO MUCH nidarosa, falcon269, mspath!
You guys are angels. :^)

I will be arriving in SJPP around 8:00pm on September 21st by ALSA(from Madrid-Pamplona)
and am so nervous that if I can get a place to stay the night and food that late.
I tried to make a reservation at L'espirit du Chemin but they seem to be all booked up for that day.
Is there any albergue, restaurant or store open that late in SJPP?
So nervous and worried, I got a whole village of butterflies in my stomach.
Help, please? :^)
I'm a big fan of getting a little Basque hotel in SJPD. I know most all of us are on a budget, and I agree albuergues are part of the experience. But I liked knowing I had a place to stay when getting into SJPD, I liked that I was well rested going into the camino, and I liked having one last night to relax before "beginning". Everyone is in such a rush to "start", trust me the Camino will feel like it has lasted forever (in a good way). Don't rush it. Enjoy the basque nation and a comfortable bed. Be a tourist for one last night.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stay at Corazon Puro Inn in Pamplona.
http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

They will feed you, provide good lodging, and bring you to SJPDP early morning , all for a reasonable value. Thart said, if you are set in arriving to SJPDP, the Office of Pilgrims have amazing volunteers that WILL find you a place. Buen Camino!!

Totally agree with Olivares that the volunteers in the SJPDP pilgrim’s office are amazing. I visited around 9pm on Friday to collect a new Credential and they were still hard at work finding places for people to stay (not all in SJPDP) despite looking totally worn out. Really amazing, multilingual, friendly, caring people.

You wont have any problems finding food at 8pm but if you have to find somewhere to stay and then check in, and then eat and be back for 10pm you are likely to be a bit stressed. My view is that if you have time, take the time to relax, be a tourist, take photos, spend time in the Church, stop being in work/home/family/travel mode and think about what you are going to do, enjoy your French meal, etc.

waveprof: Thank you. That would be an wonderful option to consider. :^)

Olivares, Helen1: Thank you. I have heard of very good words about that place.
Unfortunately it's all booked up for that day as well as L'espirit du Chemin.
It seems that September 21st is one of the most popular days to start the Camino. :^)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want a little basque hotel in SJPDP try Itzalpea.
Small place, 5 beds, very homely.
Owners only speak French and Basque but sign language did for me.
No cooked meals at hotel but buffet breakfast and Restaurant next door is open late.

I booked a private room at Gite Azkorria. I was glad to know I had a place to stay as I was arriving on the last train. The private room was nice because I was jet lagged. A private room helps in getting things sorted out prior to walking. Its right across the street from the pilgrim's office. It has some 'dormitory' beds. Clean with good food. Do yourself a favour and have a night of relative luxury before you start.

My flight out of Stansted was delayed and I worried about what I would do if I couldn't get to SJPdP as I had payed for the room in advance. My French isn't that good. It may have been better to get a place in Bayonne (or in your case Pamplona) and continue travel the next day.

Gite Azkorria
http://www.hebergements-pays-basque.fr/accueil

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We just showed up at the Pilgrim's Office at SJPDP, asked where we could get lodging, and they pointed us to the right place, which happened to be next door to the Pilgrim's Office. The lady even took us over there and introduced us, since we didn't speak French.

waveprof: Thank you. That would be an wonderful option to consider. :^)

Olivares, Helen1: Thank you. I have heard of very good words about that place.
Unfortunately it's all booked up for that day as well as L'espirit du Chemin.
It seems that September 21st is one of the most popular days to start the Camino. :^)
Hotel remparts - very affordable

Thank you JohnMcM, bernhugo, GerryDel, AnnieY. :^)
I have not considered hotels as a lodging option but come to think of it, it may be a good idea for the night before the actual Camino begins.
I wrote down all the recommended places.
Again, thank you all. :^)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too worried about getting in about the same time last year and booked ahead at Gite Ultreia. http://www.ultreia64.fr The owner speaks English which was nice. I booked on line which was easy, and I would stay there again. You have lots of choices sent to you above, but I would definitely book something as the last thing you will want to do is stand in line wondering about your options. There is also a big supermercado, Lidl's, which is open late. Here's the google map link to it and St Jean as well. https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...!1s0xd50d5647863e089:0xbd6e863caf82d4f9?hl=en
You also might consider staying the next night at Orisson. That lets you wander around town in the morning, and then not go too far, although it is definitely uphill. I'm sure they are all booked up, but she told me to call a few days before I was arriving as they do get cancellations. That worked for me, although she only took my first name and would not let me give her a credit card, so I was a bit nervous, but it was fine. And you will get to meet a great group of peregrinos over a great dinner.
www.refuge-orisson.com
Have a great time - buen camino - Cherry

This site is the best ..... everyone willing to share their experience, strength and hope.

Once again, thank you so much everybody.
You are wonderful.
Now I have a bed to stay for the first night(or pre-night) of my Camino.
As I said above, it seems that September 21st is one of the most popular days to start Camino.
Many places are already booked up including Corazon Puro and L'espirit du Chemin.
Thanks to Cherrys(and JohnMcM and falcon269), I tried Gite Ultreia and Ta-da! I got the LAST bed available there. :^D
I feel so much better now that I know I got the transportation to SJPP and a nice place for the night.
Thank you all.
Did I mention that you guys are angels? You are. :^)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The lady of the "Accueil" or Pilgrim Bureau, is very knowledgeable about gites (auberges) and hotels. I saw her calling hotels until a pilgrim had a reservation. The Accueil is not the usual Tourist Office, I guess they would not let a pilgrim without lodging.
If you prefer a reservation in advance, and there are problems, try hotels outside SJPP proper. Not your standard ideas of suburbs....farms, little woods, streams, picturesque landscapes, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Once again, thank you so much everybody.
You are wonderful.
Now I have a bed to stay for the first night(or pre-night) of my Camino.
As I said above, it seems that September 21st is one of the most popular days to start Camino.
Many places are already booked up including Corazon Puro and L'espirit du Chemin.
Thanks to Cherrys(and JohnMcM and falcon269), I tried Gite Ultreia and Ta-da! I got the LAST bed available there. :^D
I feel so much better now that I know I got the transportation to SJPP and a nice place for the night.
Thank you all.
Did I mention that you guys are angels? You are. :^)
Hi - glad that worked for you. I ate at the restaurant opposite, which was nice but a bit expensive. The Gite Ultreia's breakfast is the usual - bread and jam and coffee, not really enough to walk on, so make sure to get some more food somewhere. Enjoy your trip - sounds like you will not be alone - Cherry

The lady of the "Accueil" or Pilgrim Bureau, is very knowledgeable about gites (auberges) and hotels. I saw her calling hotels until a pilgrim had a reservation. The Accueil is not the usual Tourist Office, I guess they would not let a pilgrim without lodging.
If you prefer a reservation in advance, and there are problems, try hotels outside SJPP proper. Not your standard ideas of suburbs....farms, little woods, streams, picturesque landscapes, you get the idea.

The Gita Ultreia that I will stay also offers Credencial saying that I do not need to be in a long que at the Accueil. But I intend to go to the Accueil to get a Credencial to see and feel what it is like.
According to what you wrote, it would be too shame to miss it. :^)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi - glad that worked for you. I ate at the restaurant opposite, which was nice but a bit expensive. The Gite Ultreia's breakfast is the usual - bread and jam and coffee, not really enough to walk on, so make sure to get some more food somewhere. Enjoy your trip - sounds like you will not be alone - Cherry

I already asked for the breakfast next morning there but like you said, simple bread and coffee would not be enough to walk on all day.
(In fact, it would not be enough for my sluggish daily life. LOL)
I will make sure I have more food for the road.
Thank you. :^)

The Gita Ultreia that I will stay also offers Credencial saying that I do not need to be in a long que at the Accueil. But I intend to go to the Accueil to get a Credencial to see and feel what it is like.
Yes, going to the "accueil" is not only a convenient way of getting the credencial. It is also a kind of rite of passage :)

Both times I picked-up my credentials at the Accueil there was no que at all. I've never seen one there. You should have no problems or wait.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, that bread, jam and coffee breakfast just don't cut it.

Like others have said, just go to the pilgrim's office, they'll find you a place to stay. I was nervous about St. Jean too, but I just got off the train and followed everyone else! The folks at the pilgrim's office sent me to the albergue next door, where the lovely French woman told me to go get something to eat at the restaurant down the road. It was open late.

Yeah, that bread, jam and coffee breakfast just don't cut it.

Indeed! Find some food before leaving St. Jean! And drink plenty of water before starting out!

Don't worry, SooYunKim. You'll be nervous, but that's okay. The start of the Camino is one of the most exciting parts. Take time to enjoy it!

Back