Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So tell me, do you like sidra?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Angulero, this question is not for you, because I know your answer. :)

I am wondering about this, because both Gunnar and Stuart have talked about drinking sidra along the Salvador or Primitivo. I have very much enjoyed the sidra ritual, sitting at a table with a bunch of friends and gulping it down when the bartender comes and pours an inch in each glass. But I have to admit I don't really like the taste. But truth be told, I'd rather be sitting around drinking something I didn't particularly like with a group of people I loved than drinking a fine wine by myself. So, is that what the sidra experience is all about-- A low alcohol drink you can drink forever without getting drunk and be "in community" with your peeps? Or is this an acquired taste like coffee? In any event, if you are in Asturias, whether or not you drink alcohol, you shouldn't miss the opportunity to be present for a sidra event!

Hoping to be in Asturias next summer, buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is definitely not to my taste. It is fun to watch and fun to be with a group but I'm afraid I could only manage a couple of sips before resorting to a glass of wine. It makes me gag just to think of gulping it down.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I quite like it, it is different from other ciders, but nice. Just don't let it sit in your glass ;-) SY

Maybe it's a cultural thing? At home I drink a lot of similar cider in summer (for the Brits, it's not dissimilar to scrumpy rather than fizzy pub ciders, Westons Old Rosie would be a good comparison) so maybe I've got a taste for it already. I know it's less a tradition in other countries. And as a Celt I feel it is my duty :)

I dont think it is just about company, I passed a lovely hour yesterday on my own on La Gascona. Spanish beer can be hit and miss, I like Estrella Damm and San Miguel but Estrella de Galicia and Mahou I really don't like. The latter two seem very popular here.

I think as well it is the ceremony and foreign-ness of it. Also the food, the little bowls of beans in smoky red sauce eat very well with it as do the robust Asturian stews.

It is fair to say I like sidra!

I quite like it, it is different from other ciders, but nice. Just don't let it sit in your glass ;-) SY

Yep I was very cynical about the pouring tradition but it does change the taste and when it has settled it does noticeably taste different. Or rather you dont get the aromas, it goes kind of from 3D to 2D if you know what I mean.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its a drink even with the sudden rush of oxygen(and bringing out it flavours) after the pouring that still needs to be drank in one go and a slight grimmace afterwards.

Eso es sidra achampanada. La sidra común es esta otra.

http://www.tienda.com/food/products/bv-27.html?site=1

Si estáis de visita y queréis conocer más sobre la sidra, podéis ir al museo de la sidra que está en Nava.

http://www.museodelasidra.com/index2_ingles.htm

Peregrina, si no he entendido mal, creo que pones que la sidra no tiene mucho alcohol. La sidra es muy "cabrona", como decimos por aquí, porque normalmente cuando la bebes, es con un grupo de amigos, charlando y comiendo, mientras uno o dos van escanciando "culinos" sin parar. Casi sin darte cuenta, cada uno ha bebido tres, cuatro botellas, o una caja de ellas y te aseguro que la gente acaba borracha. Se bebe mucho en las fiestas de los pueblos, sobre todo en verano. Creo que tú habías puesto una vez que es algo más que una bebida, yo creo que lo es.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am going to be disappointed in my .5% alcohol Sidra, then!!! :) I see the difference, now. The good stuff is out of stock, however...

Thanks, Angulero, who clarified that it would be a misstatement for us to think that just because sidra has a lower alcohol content, people don't get drunk on it. He describes scenes I have seen many times -- a group of 4 or 5 people sitting around a table, with 15 or 20 empty bottles of sidra sitting on the table, and yes, that will make you drunk!

He also makes the comment that the sidra is "more than a drink", it's got a huge social component to it. My son once lived in Oviedo for a year and that was his conclusion as well. I'm no expert on this, but I think that's probably true for a lot of alcohol -- it brings people together, at least until its abuse pushes them apart. But sidra seems to have a lot of really strong roots in Asturian society, so there must be something going on.

I was not surprised to see there are some "newcomers" to sidra who like the taste, but I do think that for most of the uninitiated, it doesn't immediately seem delicious. But don't miss a chance to experience it on the Primitivo!

Sidra is a wonderful drink that does have a huge social factor. Having spent most of my youth in Xixón and traveling to Asturies whenever possible to visit family and friends, sidra, especially in the summer, is a must have for any family/friends get together. Especially if you are in a romeria (small festivities in cities, and small pueblos alike in Asturias), or if you head to a sidrería, which can be found almost anywhere in Asturias. It might be an acquired taste but I thoroughly enjoy it. My wife is from Dallas and on our first trip together to Asturias she tried sidra and loved it. On the other hand my brother, who also grew up in Xixón with me doesn't care for it. Go figure. Now, you do have to go easy on it cause if you like it you'll definitely get drunk on it. It is easy to have culín after culín, and before you know it you are borracho and wondering what hit you. :D I would advise anyone that travels through Asturias to at least try it once. Usually you get a couple of friends together, peregrinos in this case, ask for a couple of bottles of sidra, and have the guy behind the bar pour you a culín. You have to drink it down in one easy gulp in order to get the subtle flavor of the sidra. Nothing tastes better on a warm day in Asturias. Also, this might freak out some of you, but traditionally you share the same glass in a group of three or four friends. You drink most of the glass given to you, leave a bit at the bottom of the glass, and pour that bit of sidra out where you drank from. If inside the bar pour it into the small containers at the foot of the bar. If outside it is fine to pour it on the ground. If in doubt watch the locals do it. Small tips to make you an expert sidra drinker. Enjoy.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[...]But sidra seems to have a lot of really strong roots in Asturian society, so there must be something going on. [...] But don't miss a chance to experience it on the Primitivo!
We'll have a go at it in two weeks' time:) And report on the issue when we have compared it to the Chilean wine, popular in our part of the world. :eek:On the other hand, once in Spain, a bottle of good Rioja is certain to be appreciated.;) Sidra, here we come!

Por cierto, y ya que el Primitivo pasa por Salas, ¿nadie ha probado los Carajitos del Profesor?. Es una pasta dulce hecha de avellana. A mi me encantan. Los venden también en Cornellana, pero los auténticos son los de Salas. En Cornellana, están buenas las Casadielles.

By the way, and as the Primitivo Salas passes, no one has tested Carajitos del Professor?. It's a sweet paste made of hazelnut. I love them. They sell well in Cornellana, but the real are those of Salas. In Cornellana, the Casadielles are good.

I think sidra is an acquired taste and after trying it a few times enjoy the sidra ritual - waiter pours, hands you the glass which you are supposed to drink in one go and comes back when you are ready for the next glass. Our first experience was in Oviedo in a place we call Sidra Square near the market and will be back there again in a couple of weeks.Another favourite is in the square in Gijon where they also do really good meals.
Liz

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Only in Spain would they name a local pastry Carajitos del Profesor. :) But I am always one to try local pastries, so will have them on my list for my next time in Salas.

Two weeks, Fraluchi, lucky you. Buen camino! Laurie

I love it -- for those of you who aren't fully conversant in vulgar Spanish, "carajo" is a nasty word -- or better said, its translation into English is a nasty word in English. It is used quite frequently in polite mixed company in Spain. Apparently the name of the pastry derives from the demand of the many patrons who went to the bakery to buy these sweet delights and got very insistent about wanting their pastries, using the term carajo to emphasize the strength of their insistence. The name stuck.

Now, without wanting to get into a pedantic debate over vulgarity, I will say that what's vulgar is very culture-specific. So I'm not accusing the Spaniards of anything, just highlighting my own culture's more prudish approach.

This brings up a vivid memory. I remember checking into the albergue in the convent in Carrion de los Condes one hot afternoon. The two people working the check-in were a nun and a young man. The nun wasn't processing things as quickly as her male colleague would have liked, and he let off a stream of words involving female body parts and references to lactation that left me shocked and the nun totally unfazed. So I've gotten over my shock. :) (sorry for the tangent).

Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, fraluchi,
So, just as a matter of interest, do you find that the language in Spain is more "colorful" or vulgar or whatever adjective you want to use than in Costa Rica?

I know that this works both ways, because for example in Spain "coger" is a perfectly "clean" word, whereas I believe it has some more vulgar meanings in some other parts of the Spanish speaking world. So even if I try to not use bad language, I often do so unintentionally. Luckily, though, Spaniards have a VERY high tolerance for profanity.

Hope you are soon sitting on the Gascona with a few bottles of sidra watching the world go by before setting out on the Primitivo. Buen viaje y buen camino! Laurie

it's not the cool, afternoon drink I enjoyed back home, but I had to drink Sidra, because I was in Spain and I"m a Cider lover!!! But gosh that stuff packed a serious punch!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mitsubishi call their 4x4 model the Montero in Spain. In most of the rest of the world it's called Pajero which I believe has an unfortunate slang meaning in maninland Spain.

It's firmly cider season over here now, in fact a local shop is offering use of their cider press and a fermenting bin to anyone who brings in 10kg of apples so people can make their own.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Fabes.........Queso de Cabrales............. Sidriña...........el cielo ;)

Buen Camino!

Laurie:

This year I walked with a young Spaniard (Sergio) on the Primitivo and we drank cider quite frequently. I also believe it's popularity comes from the way it is delivered and the social aspect of a group sharing conversation and drink.

Joe

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are now in Cornellana, and I have to say we seem to be pretty hopeless at finding all the good food and drink that people talk about ! Never managed to try a Sidr eria on the Salvador. But finally tried it here! It was ok but by machine so missed the whole ritual of the pouring ...anyway can tick it off the list and go back to the vino tinto!

We are now in Cornellana, and I have to say we seem to be pretty hopeless at finding all the good food and drink that people talk about ! Never managed to try a Sidr eria on the Salvador. But finally tried it here! It was ok but by machine so missed the whole ritual of the pouring ...anyway can tick it off the list and go back to the vino tinto!

You sure have.:(

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yep I was very cynical about the pouring tradition but it does change the taste and when it has settled it does noticeably taste different. Or rather you dont get the aromas, it goes kind of from 3D to 2D if you know what I mean.

A few years ago, I was on a non-Camino-related trip across Northern Spain and I tried sidra in Potes. I ordered a bottle and a large pint glass and poured the whole bottle into the glass (in the normal way) and began drinking. It seemed that the eyes of every local in a 500m radius were on me and I had no idea why. Halfway through the pint glass I realised why, when my face started puckering up like a squeezed lemon. It hasn't put me off drinking it on several other occasions though!!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was on a non-Camino related trip across Northern Spain and I tried sidra in Potes. I ordered a bottle and a large pint glass and poured the whole bottle into the glass (in the normal way) and began drinking. It seemed that the eyes of every local in a 500m radius were on me and I had no idea why. Halfway through the pint glass I realised why, when my face started puckering up like a squeezed lemon. It hasn't put me off drinking it on several other occasions though!!

I did something similar. I thought the barman was going to cry!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few years ago, I was on a non-Camino-related trip across Northern Spain and I tried sidra in Potes. I ordered a bottle and a large pint glass and poured the whole bottle into the glass (in the normal way) and began drinking. It seemed that the eyes of every local in a 500m radius were on me and I had no idea why. Halfway through the pint glass I realised why, when my face started puckering up like a squeezed lemon. It hasn't put me off drinking it on several other occasions though!!

In Potes one should try "orujo".;)

Buen Camino!

I had a wonderful introduction to sidra whilst walking the Salvador several years ago. The passage over the mountains the day before had kicked my behind (snow up to my knees!), and the two fresh madrileños who met me in Pajares walked my legs off the following morning -- we took the eastern, mountainside route. But at Santa Cristina de la Lena, that sweet pre-Romanesque church, we were met by a friend of theirs, an Asturian madman with a picnic lunch made up and packed by his granny that morning... it was glorious. Cheese, empanada, eggs and bread and local comb honey, pastries, and homemade sidra in glass bottles all cloudy from years of recycling. There was even a "ghost" inside the bottles, a creepy sort of precipitate that looked rather, well... booger-like. It is the sign of excellence, the host said. And oh my, was it excellent, even though it had some top-notes of Gym Sock. It was magical. It was downright anesthetic!
Is it any wonder I became a San Salvador devotee?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Muchas gracias amigo angulero. Son preciosas! Ademas dan un poco de sed .;)

Buen Camino!

I've currently got 5 litres of homemade cider/sidra bubbling away. Another three weeks and it's ready to bottle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish to report that the sidra natural of Asturias is refreshing and potent. The best of them brings the tartness and sweetness of apples to your palate and is deceptively smooth and delightful. One thinks that another sip will help one recover from the trail and that, perhaps, a second bottle will settle the stomach over the evening meal; but do not try to travel very far that evening. I found that there are several sorts of apparatus designed to help aerate the pour-- I was urged to buy a lovely brass one but feared that it would be a bit too heavy to carry. I found that, the moment one crossed from Asturias to Galicia, the price of sidra increased and the quality greatly diminished.

Es que en Galicia, al igual que en Cantabria, no hay tradición sidrera.
Las zonas de mayor tradición sidrera son Asturias, sobre todo la zona central, y el País Vasco.
Además, entre estas dos sidras hay muchas diferencias.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.