• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So tell me what's wrong with this phone idea

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just sat next to a Spanish woman on a flight home to the US. She lives in New Hampshire, travels frequently to the Netherlands, and has all her family in Spain and Portugal. She has a smartphone with a vodaphone plan that costs 30 euros a month and gives her unlimited phone calls to Europe and to the US, and enough data that it's never a problem for her. I am sure there is some reason why I shouldn't buy a vodaphone plan when I go to Spain, say goodbye to Verizon, and use it as my primary phone while living in the US.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just sat next to a Spanish woman on a flight home to the US. She lives in New Hampshire, travels frequently to the Netherlands, and has all her family in Spain and Portugal. She has a smartphone with a vodaphone plan that costs 30 euros a month and gives her unlimited phone calls to Europe and to the US, and enough data that it's never a problem for her. I am sure there is some reason why I shouldn't buy a vodaphone plan when I go to Spain, say goodbye to Verizon, and use it as my primary phone while living in the US.
Nothing. In North America we are being taken advantage of by the cell oligarchs. I think tou should call Vodaphone and suggest they take over the North American market with a few oosters and billboards. Mind you, it may be an issue for local/regional calls, but if you don't care about what goes on in N.Am. then why not!

I don't know, Vodafone bought ONO (which was my internet provider in Spain) and put their prices up - a lot - but....offered me all that you mention on a mobile phone for 2 euros more.....
I may change my mind and agree.... Need to think about it :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Might need to check the fine print. There may be a time limit for the periods in which the deal works while in the "foreign" country. Something like the 31 days maximum period per trip condition in my annual travel insurance. I know at least one UK mobile company operated a restriction like that.

Sound like a great plan

But apart checking the fine print, terms, etc, you might find that you either need a Spanish credit card or Spanish address or bank account.

This might be the show stopper.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is it that bad there as well? I find Spain really expensive but I can only compare with France or the UK.
We're all being had one way or another :(

It is bad here in the US, most everyone here buys into the two year contract scam and think they are paying $99 for an iPhone when they are really paying the full price over the life of the contract. Most here pay $75+ a month, I pay $60US per month with a govt. discount rate and I buy my iPhone unlocked.
You know who has even more expensive mobile phone service? Canada, they used to make them sign 36 month contracts and then at the end of the contract they would still charge you $50CAN fee to unlock your phone on top of paying the full cost of the phone.
Believe me, €30-40 per month is cheap compared to the US.

Thanks, everyone, what I am attracted to is the ability to use one phone to make calls within and between the US and Europe, I find I don't need data on the camino with all the wifi. But if I could just carry one phone and be able to call Spain and the US, and only pay 30 euros a month, that seems like a great deal to me. I will check it out when I'm there in a few weeks, you may be right that I need a Spanish address or card or something to get the plan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks like very appealing Vodafone deal especially for overseas calls.

As you already know you can buy Spanish pre-paid SIM cards with no hassle at all (OK, show your ID/Passport) but to get long term SIM as I imagine this Vodafone is you must have Spanish bank account. Which you can't get if you don't live in Spain (or being owner of land/property) as I was told. I'm sure you have a friend or two in Spain that would be willing to sign a contract under their name and give you the SIM. Everytime you go to Spain you just pay a few monthly rates in advance to the friend and problem solved.

I have used magic app to call back to landlines and mobile phones in Canada and the USA for free

Aha -- just got the clincher message in a PM:

The only problem that I see is that anyone in the United States who called your phone would be charged with an international call because you would now have a European phone number. So your neighbor calling you to find out if you want to have lunch would be charged $3 or $4 a minute (if they didn't have an international plan). That might be shocking to them.

All I am looking for is a way to carry only one phone while I walk the Camino. Since I don't have much time left till departure, and a million things to do before then for work, I guess I am stuck one more year with bringing my iPhone for wifi and putting another SIM card into my now very ancient Spanish phone. Some of these higher tech options, beyond my pay grade without more time than I have to devote to them, sound like a good possibility for the future. Thanks, guys.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tell your friends and family to get on with the program. :)

Nobody calls anymore - instead they just text

This is why we were given thumbs - not as part of some larger evolutionary design to enable us humans to grab and hold tools and weapons but to simply text :(

So if your friends and family don't want to be left behind in the last millennium using their thumbs for simple things like holding a fork, or heaven forbid using a pen, they need to practice texting and just not any old plain type of texting too.

But that is for another day.;)

Last edited:
I just bought a new Android smartphone, imported from China costing £109 inc shipping. It is dual SIM. New EU laws mean that call & data charges through my existing mobile operator are reasonable, but I shall buy an additional PAYG sim for a Spanish operator to ensure I have coverage when necessary, because it seems as if I'm going to have to book ahead, which wasn't necessary when I first / last did the Camino in 2008

My T-Mobile (USA) plan allows free international roaming, including data.

I did find that finding data was pretty iffy along the Le Puy route last June, though. Sometimes I would have it though one of the French carriers, then a few hours later I wouldn't have any data in the same location. But calls always worked if I could get a signal at all.

Another issue is that it still was my US number, so if we left a number for someone, we had to make sure they knew to dial the international prefix for the USA first. But we had no problems making reservations with it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is bad here in the US, most everyone here buys into the two year contract scam and think they are paying $99 for an iPhone when they are really paying the full price over the life of the contract. Most here pay $75+ a month, I pay $60US per month with a govt. discount rate and I buy my iPhone unlocked.
You know who has even more expensive mobile phone service? Canada, they used to make them sign 36 month contracts and then at the end of the contract they would still charge you $50CAN fee to unlock your phone on top of paying the full cost of the phone.
Believe me, €30-40 per month is cheap compared to the US.

Thanks for the answer! Shameful isn't it?!
In Spain it has just upped to 62 euros something with one major supplier charging 80 +.
Trouble is, we can't do without it any more....:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because I wouldn't have a clue about how to open my phone and take out one card and put in another, and having to keep switching back and forth is not very appealing. I am a luddite, remember?
When you go in the store to buy the SIM, they will do it for you while you watch. When you get on the plane to return home, if you can't figure it out, ask your seat-mate to help! For the i-phone I think you need a bendable paper clip or some similar poking tool. Maybe a diaper pin would work.

Really, trust me, this is something you CAN do! It is much easier than rummaging around with 2 phones, remembering how to use them :p and spending this mental energy on the subject. I am feeling quite modern and pleased with myself at the moment, since I have just minutes ago filed my income tax return online for the first time.

When you go in the store to buy the SIM, they will do it for you while you watch. When you get on the plane to return home, if you can't figure it out, ask your seat-mate to help! For the i-phone I think you need a bendable paper clip or some similar poking tool. Maybe a diaper pin would work.

Really, trust me, this is something you CAN do! It is much easier than rummaging around with 2 phones, remembering how to use them :p and spending this mental energy on the subject. I am feeling quite modern and pleased with myself at the moment, since I have just minutes ago filed my income tax return online for the first time.
Hmmm, I will check this out. I take it the wi-fi capability is unaffected by the SIM card (?). Thanks, C.

Hmmm, I will check this out. I take it the wi-fi capability is unaffected by the SIM card (?). Thanks, C.
Correct. And all your contacts, apps, etc. work normally. Only your phone number changes, so no one can contact you by phone or text at your old US number.

Of course, you need to watch your battery when your i-phone becomes your sole source, so that you don't get stuck without a phone when you need it. A little portable charger is a good idea. I knew nothing about them before my last trip but got one for $20 (weighs 73 g), isn't the proper rating for my phone but still provides a 50% charge when my phone gets low due to using GPS/mapping. It is very simple and gives me comfort. Go into your local electronics store to see the options.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Because I wouldn't have a clue about how to open my phone and take out one card and put in another, and having to keep switching back and forth is not very appealing. I am a luddite, remember?

Please try swapping SIM cards in your iPhone, it truly is easy, easier than sewing on a button, all you need is a paper clip. You were able to swap SIM cards in previous phones you owned, you can do it with an iPhone.

Please try swapping SIM cards in your iPhone, it truly is easy, easier than sewing on a button, all you need is a paper clip. You were able to swap SIM cards in previous phones you owned, you can do it with an iPhone.
Oh bajaracer, I've never changed a SIM card in any phone. But I will investigate this possibility at my local phone store this week. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Google has a new cell phone plan that my son has switched to. $20/month unlimited domestic calls and text, and unlimited international texting. Data is $10/GB in the US and 120 countries.
https://fi.google.com/about/
It depends on whose network they are using. Type in your postal code on the page on their website to see a coverage map. It looks like it covers most major cities and along most major highways, but if you live in a rural area or in Montana, Wyoming, and the surrounding area, you're out of luck.

Nothing. In North America we are being taken advantage of by the cell oligarchs. I think tou should call Vodaphone and suggest they take over the North American market with a few oosters and billboards. Mind you, it may be an issue for local/regional calls, but if you don't care about what goes on in N.Am. then why not!
You dont want Vodafone anywhere near any market. The absolute worst customer service when I had a contract with them in the UK. And foreign call centres........ Belfast at the time. (This last was a joke. The call centre was in Belfast and was crap, but Belfast is a great city with lots of lovely people and is not foreign!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've posted this elsewhere but will do it again for UK members. There seems to have been little coverage of the huge reduction in roaming charges thanks to EU regulations coming into force on May 1st. Roaming charges will be made illegal from June (I think) 2017, and if you have a Tesco contract, roaming charges are being scrapped for this summer from May 23rd. I suspect this is getting little coverage in the UK due to the mostly Eurosceptic stance of our media outlets. It wouldn't do to print something positive about the EU now would it.

It looks like very appealing Vodafone deal especially for overseas calls.

As you already know you can buy Spanish pre-paid SIM cards with no hassle at all (OK, show your ID/Passport) but to get long term SIM as I imagine this Vodafone is you must have Spanish bank account. Which you can't get if you don't live in Spain (or being owner of land/property) as I was told. I'm sure you have a friend or two in Spain that would be willing to sign a contract under their name and give you the SIM. Everytime you go to Spain you just pay a few monthly rates in advance to the friend and problem solved.
clarify this for me please so when I go to Madrid to start my Camino from there I just cannot buy a phone and obtain a sim card unless I have a bank account in Spain?

Yes, you can buy a prepaid/pay as you go SIM card without a problem, but you can't have a contract (pay by bill) without a Spanish bank account which is kind of logical. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just bought a new Android smartphone, imported from China costing £109 inc shipping. It is dual SIM. New EU laws mean that call & data charges through my existing mobile operator are reasonable, but I shall buy an additional PAYG sim for a Spanish operator to ensure I have coverage when necessary, because it seems as if I'm going to have to book ahead, which wasn't necessary when I first / last did the Camino in 2008
I live in the Uk and the mobile network i am on is 3. On pay as you go (PAYG) i pay 3p for a one minute call, 2p for a text and 1p for a Mb of data. This pricing applies to Spain and many other european countries. The only problem i had was that the numbers saved to my phone didn't have the international format in front. To phone the UK i had to put 0044 in front of the number. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I live in the Uk and the mobile network i am on is 3. On pay as you go (PAYG) i pay 3p for a one minute call, 2p for a text and 1p for a Mb of data. This pricing applies to Spain and many other european countries. The only problem i had was that the numbers saved to my phone didn't have the international format in front. To phone the UK i had to put 0044 in front of the number. Good luck with whatever you choose.

There's simple solution to this - always save numbers with country code. You never know who you are going to call once abroad :)

Correct. And all your contacts, apps, etc. work normally. Only your phone number changes, so no one can contact you by phone or text at your old US number.

Of course, you need to watch your battery when your i-phone becomes your sole source, so that you don't get stuck without a phone when you need it. A little portable charger is a good idea. I knew nothing about them before my last trip but got one for $20 (weighs 73 g), isn't the proper rating for my phone but still provides a 50% charge when my phone gets low due to using GPS/mapping. It is very simple and gives me comfort. Go into your local electronics store to see the options.

Ok, a portable charger, that's a new one for me. Where does the charger get its juice -- or do you need to charge the charger? Can you tell me what brand you got C Clearly? And what do you mean when you say it isn't the proper rating for your phone? If I can use my iPhone as both the source of wifi and a Spanish phone to make calls in Spain, that removes the need to carry two phones. And if I can charge my iPhone as I walk, I can use the phone as my camera and leave home my camera. And if the iPhone can really function as a good GPS when walking without data, I could also leave home the GPS, which I am tempted to bring for the Ebro and Castellano-Aragones parts of my walk this year.

My phone is an iPhone 5 and it is three years old. Its battery won't last through a day with normal phone use, much less with all of this additional stuff, so I wonder if I need to bite the bullet and buy a new iPhone?

Ok, a portable charger, that's a new one for me. Where does the charger get its juice -- or do you need to charge the charger? Can you tell me what brand you got C Clearly? And what do you mean when you say it isn't the proper rating for your phone? If I can use my iPhone as both the source of wifi and a Spanish phone to make calls in Spain, that removes the need to carry two phones. And if I can charge my iPhone as I walk, I can use the phone as my camera and leave home my camera. And if the iPhone can really function as a good GPS when walking without data, I could also leave home the GPS, which I am tempted to bring for the Ebro and Castellano-Aragones parts of my walk this year.

My phone is an iPhone 5 and it is three years old. Its battery won't last through a day with normal phone use, much less with all of this additional stuff, so I wonder if I need to bite the bullet and buy a new iPhone?
Don't know much about iPhones (I have Android) but technically you're on spot about merging all those functions in one gadget. Although if your phone battery won't last through a day when using only one function then it can't work for you with all four. Either new battery for existing phone, new phone or at least a power bank (charger). Power banks are usually charged through mini USB cables but I guess you can buy some device that goes into 220V on one side and into power bank on the other.

More here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cen...ower-banks-2016-uk-summary-5-minutes-3534490/

Ok, a portable charger, that's a new one for me. Where does the charger get its juice -- or do you need to charge the charger? Can you tell me what brand you got...

...so I wonder if I need to bite the bullet and buy a new iPhone?
I have a couple of portable chargers; one is made by Kensington and recharges by plugging into a USB-style charger similar to your normal cellphone charger (you must remember to do this when you have power available). The other is an unknown brand -- not marked and I can't remember -- which uses replaceable internal AA batteries as a power source. There are pros and cons to either approach -- I'd go for the former if I knew I'd have a power source for recharging at least every couple of days, as on the Camino. The latter is useful for occasional use in areas where you know you won't have external power for several days -- just carry some extra AA batteries for when the first set runs down. Both seem to be good for at least two charges of a typical cellphone. You can find either type on Amazon.

As to your second question, it's probably cheaper to replace your iPhone's battery rather than buy a new phone, especially if you don't feel a burning need to upgrade the phone to a newer generation. Unfortunately, the iPhone battery is not user-replaceable (at least for us mortal beings), so you have to have it replaced by your local Apple store or an independent shop. An independent shop will be cheaper; just Google "iPhone battery replacement (your city)" and call the shops that pop up to find the best price.

If you buy a new battery for your phone, it is expensive and I don't know if it would work in a new phone you might get next year. If you buy a new i-phone, you'll suddenly be dealing with something new on your up-coming trip. Those were things I considered with my 3-year-old Android.

However, if you don't have a big screen phone already, you would probably love the big one available on iphone now. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

I found that the best way to conserve battery was to use Airplane Mode. The big drain on battery is when the phone is searching for phone signals, and checking for notifications, etc. You can turn on WIFI even when you are in airplane mode, but I would keep it off unless I was using it. If you are getting low on battery, you can turn OFF Location until you need it. The GPS generally still works.

Where does the charger get its juice -- or do you need to charge the charger?
What @jmcarp said is true. Mine has a small USB cable that you use to charge the charger (which is a battery), and then you reverse the ends when you want to charge the phone. It is very obvious how you do it. You can carry and use the phone while it is connected to the portable charger.
Can you tell me what brand you got C Clearly? And what do you mean when you say it isn't the proper rating for your phone?
My brand is a cheap one with no label remaining. For my particular phone (not i-phone) I should have a charger for 3100 mAh (because that's what is written on the existing battery). I can't remember why I got the lesser size (maybe I was too cheap, paranoid about weight, or it was out-of-stock). Nevertheless, this still gives my phone almost a 50% charge, which is fine to get me through the day, especially since I am more careful after I resort to the backup charger.

You can go into an electronics/accessory shop (maybe your phone store won't stock them, because they'd rather sell you a new phone). Just show them your phone and ask for the options. I have seen 2 types for i-phone:
  • My cylindrical one weighing 73 g that must be recharged each day (or maybe 2 days if you don't use it; the charge does disappear in time). This is the identical charger that my companion used for her old i-phone and got one full charge out of it.
  • Heavier and more expensive type like a case, that your phone fits into. I really don't know, but these might give you more than one full charge. The disadvantage here might be that if you get a new phone next year, the casing might not fit. (Just something to consider.)
And if the iPhone can really function as a good GPS when walking without data, I could also leave home the GPS, which I am tempted to bring for the Ebro and Castellano-Aragones parts of my walk this year.
I am not very knowledgeable about GPS. My companion knew more and she had the route downloaded onto MapMyWalk on her i-phone so we could follow the dancing blue dot. It was very helpful on the VdlP and I will definitely figure this all out before the next walk. You have a head start on this, as you have used a GPS device.

Bottom line: I would not go without a big-screen smartphone, with GPS track downloaded, and a portable charger on hand.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you buy a new battery for your phone, it is expensive and I don't know if it would work in a new phone you might get next year. If you buy a new i-phone, you'll suddenly be dealing with something new on your up-coming trip. Those were things I considered with my 3-year-old Android.

However, if you don't have a big screen phone already, you would probably love the big one available on iphone now. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

I found that the best way to conserve battery was to use Airplane Mode. The big drain on battery is when the phone is searching for phone signals, and checking for notifications, etc. You can turn on WIFI even when you are in airplane mode, but I would keep it off unless I was using it. If you are getting low on battery, you can turn OFF Location until you need it. The GPS generally still works.

What @jmcarp said is true. Mine has a small USB cable that you use to charge the charger (which is a battery), and then you reverse the ends when you want to charge the phone. It is very obvious how you do it. You can carry and use the phone while it is connected to the portable charger.

My brand is a cheap one with no label remaining. For my particular phone (not i-phone) I should have a charger for 3100 mAh (because that's what is written on the existing battery). I can't remember why I got the lesser size (maybe I was too cheap, paranoid about weight, or it was out-of-stock). Nevertheless, this still gives my phone almost a 50% charge, which is fine to get me through the day, especially since I am more careful after I resort to the backup charger.

You can go into an electronics/accessory shop (maybe your phone store won't stock them, because they'd rather sell you a new phone). Just show them your phone and ask for the options. I have seen 2 types for i-phone:
  • My cylindrical one weighing 73 g that must be recharged each day (or maybe 2 days if you don't use it; the charge does disappear in time). This is the identical charger that my companion used for her old i-phone and got one full charge out of it.
  • Heavier and more expensive type like a case, that your phone fits into. I really don't know, but these might give you more than one full charge. The disadvantage here might be that if you get a new phone next year, the casing might not fit. (Just something to consider.)

I am not very knowledgeable about GPS. My companion knew more and she had the route downloaded onto MapMyWalk on her i-phone so we could follow the dancing blue dot. It was very helpful on the VdlP and I will definitely figure this all out before the next walk. You have a head start on this, as you have used a GPS device.

Bottom line: I would not go without a big-screen smartphone, with GPS track downloaded, and a portable charger on hand.

Thanks to everyone, you are very patient with this tech idiot!

So, I now have two weeks before I leave, and as some of my friends have noted, I should probably steer clear of new technology at this late date. Everything has a huge learning curve for me. I think that I will try to use my existing iphone and buy a charger.

But now my doubt is with the GPS. I have gotten to the point that I can usually use my Garmin Dakota GPS. I had a few problems with that last year on the Camino (and that's the only time I use it), but this year as I loaded the tracks for Ebro and Castellano-Aragones, I think I figured out some of the more obvious features I had had a problem with. I am reluctant to try to learn a new system on my phone, so wonder if I should just carry the GPS and forget about learning how to use the phone for GPS till next time.

Thanks to everyone, you are very patient with this tech idiot!

So, I now have two weeks before I leave, and as some of my friends have noted, I should probably steer clear of new technology at this late date. Everything has a huge learning curve for me. I think that I will try to use my existing iphone and buy a charger.

But now my doubt is with the GPS. I have gotten to the point that I can usually use my Garmin Dakota GPS. I had a few problems with that last year on the Camino (and that's the only time I use it), but this year as I loaded the tracks for Ebro and Castellano-Aragones, I think I figured out some of the more obvious features I had had a problem with. I am reluctant to try to learn a new system on my phone, so wonder if I should just carry the GPS and forget about learning how to use the phone for GPS till next time.
Laurie, if your phone battery dies in less than a day only making a phone calls then it will go out even faster with GPS tracking all the time while you'll be walking. Why don't you just upload maps (edited in your home computer with tracks dotted) into your phone and check them when in doubt? In airplane mode of course. And you will still have enough battery power to connect (with Spanish SIM) to let's say Walking Pilgrim if/when in need.

For me constant voice navigation (if it is like in a car) would be unbearable anyway :)

Ah yes I am starting to miss the days when a good old fashion notepad and a few pencils along with the mostly reliable postcard and a handful of postage stamps worked well for staying in touch.
(worked well for my wife and I when we travelled around the world for a year - pre internet and pre ATM and pre almost all tech stuff)
:)

Even for a post techie person my brain was starting to hurt after reading all these posts
:(

Its the camino! - its not as if we have a case of Matt Damon going to Mars
(though I am sure some forum members would gladly follow him there)
;)

I still own a 4s, a beautiful object. But battery life is not as beautiful. I now carry one of the battery packs, but my brother gave me is old charging case (he.s a millenium now with the Iphone 8 I'm sure!). You get a full charge from it, and some of the weight is absorbed by not carrying a regular case.

I use an app on my Android phone called Viber. I know that the Magic app is also available on Android.
Viber is great. It is easy to easy to send text, photos, videos to individuals or groups of friends. Most of its features (except voice calling) are free.

It takes 2 taps to send your location When I was on the Camino, most days I sent my location and brief update to a 'Group' which contained my wife and parents.

It has free apps on Android, iOS, Windows Phone, PC, Mac, Linux.
https://support.viber.com/

Since my wife and I were both travelling in different locations, we forwarded our home phone to Google Voice, which transcribed any Voicemails and sent the text version of the message to me via email. After receiving this notification I could also hear the recorded message, if desired (over Wi-Fi or with my Orange Spanish Sim).

Viber is great. It is easy to easy to send text, photos, videos to individuals or groups of friends. Most of its features (except voicecalling) are free.

Voice calling is free to other Viber users. And very low cost to non-Viber users. I still haven't used up my initial $4.99 Viber credit. I've made calls totally more than an hour and still have $3.47 left.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I am weary of all this electronics talk, and it's made worse by the fact that I do not use technology much in my daily life so I am at a distinct disadvantage. But I have to have the ability to use wifi to contact home and I am pretty sure I would be silly to leave the GPS behind if I'm alone on the Ebro, Castellano, etc.

So, I think that I will what C Clearly and others recommended -- putting a Spanish SIM card in my iPhone. That will eliminate carrying the Spanish cell phone and charger. And I won't need anything other than wifi for skype and FaceTime for the US, so my minutes on my Spanish SIM card will all be in Spain.

That means that I am getting rid of gadgets -- no Spanish cell phone, and I'm also going to leave the little camera behind and use my cell phone. That's all good, BUT... I am having trouble finding a portable charger that doesn't weigh a lot. It's clear I can't rely on my cell phone to hold a charge all day. The lightweight chargers seem to give a poor charge, and those that give a good charge are heavy, which sort of defeats the purpose of leaving the other devices behind. I understand (I think) that the small lightweight ones will not give an iPhone a full charge, more like 60%. But shouldn't that be enough to get my phone through the day? Especially if all I'm using it for is pics and the occasional Spanish phone call. So, any recommendations on portable chargers (specific brands, available in the US, would be best for me), greatly appreciated!

If you tell us the model of your IPhone it would be easier to recommend a charger ;-) But I am using an IPhone 4s as the moment and the light weight charger that came with it re-charges it 100% in a few hours. You might also want to disable apps etc to reduce battery drainage and reduce the need for too frequent charging. Buen Camino, SY

So, any recommendations on portable chargers (specific brands, available in the US, would be best for me), greatly appreciated!
I think from the context of the string, what you really want is a "Portable Power Bank" not a "Portable Charger". Some people might us these terms interchangeably.

I used this (on a high end Android phone with similar power needs) and it was a lifesaver. It would recharge my phone twice, but typically once I needed it I just ran the cable from the batter in one pocket to my phone in another pocket:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGJJNVO/?tag=casaivar02-20

I think the one I took was about 18 months old on my Camino, and there are even better ones now. I recommend the following, Amazon's best seller in capacity range. It gets excellent reviews. It weighs about 4 ounces.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7N0320/?tag=casaivar02-20

P.S., Don't try to save power by turning off location on your phone, unless you are pretty careful to turn it back on when you take interesting photos.

Attachments

• Anker 5200 Amazon Best Seller.JPG
    Anker 5200 Amazon Best Seller.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As I said, mine was light weight and did not give a full charge (because it was 2200 mAh and my phone called for 3300) but I was content with the 50% charge it did provide. When my battery got low and I had to plug in the "Portable Power Bank" I was more careful with usage. Some days I didn't need it, but I felt much better having it. So, don't let the comparison shopping interfere with your purchase!

Same deal for 15 euros/month Vodafone Romania. ;)

Project Fi from Google is a very good deal IMO.
I totally agree. I have it and it's great but it is only available to people residing in the US and who have a compatible phone. I am typing on one in Spain in Pola de Siero on the way to Oviedo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

We leave tomorrow for our CF and were planning on installing a Spanish SIM card in our iPhone 6s once we reached Pamplona - but hit a snag when we called Verizon. They, of course, argued against doing so.:rolleyes: Their claim was that not all iPhones are not the same, Verizon ones differ from TMobile etc., and that the SIM card might not work. More of a concern is that Verizon indicated that if it did not work, putting in the old SIM would definitely not work until we returned to the US - something about not being able to find any towers. That would leave us with a shiny paperweight instead of a phone. I'm suspicious of Verizon's claims, but don't want to be stranded without a working phone...though I guess it would still work in terms of Internet access.

We leave tomorrow for our CF and were planning on installing a Spanish SIM card in our iPhone 6s once we reached Pamplona - but hit a snag when we called Verizon. They, of course, argued against doing so.:rolleyes: Their claim was that not all iPhones are not the same, Verizon ones differ from TMobile etc., and that the SIM card might not work. More of a concern is that Verizon indicated that if it did not work, putting in the old SIM would definitely not work until we returned to the US - something about not being able to find any towers. That would leave us with a shiny paperweight instead of a phone. I'm suspicious of Verizon's claims, but don't want to be stranded without a working phone...though I guess it would still work in terms of Internet access.
For some reason, I don't know whether it is company policy or lack of knowledge on the part of the salespeople, or whether they make commission on selling international plans, but Verizon always seems to push FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Granted, different phones and different geographies use different bands, but all modern phones phones support multiple bands. Also, all Verizon LTE phones are carrier unlocked (see second bullet in link). http://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/product/device-unlocking-policy

Determine your model number: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201296
Go to this table, find your model, then go to the Spain portion: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Even if there was a problem with the Spanish Sim, which is unlikely if you select a supported carrier (or reseller), the phone won't be a shiny paperweight it will still work on Wi-Fi.

You may be without a phone from the time that you pull away from the gate leaving Spain until you land in the US, but that is better anyway (no chance of being charged for roaming).

If you have not downloaded any offline maps, I would recommend doing so. I used Maps.me with waypoints for the Camino (VdlP) last September. But I believe Google Maps might have improved their offline offering recently. Maps.Me was great.

That would leave us with a shiny paperweight instead of a phone.
Also, particularly if you already have Google/Gmail account, consider creating a Google Voice account today and give the number as your emergency contact number to anybody who needs it (I forwarded my home phone to it also). This way, you can get an email notification / transcription of any voicemail messages and people can call you on a US Number.

https://www.google.com/voice/
What is Google Voice?
<Edit: added links>

Last edited:
For some reason, I don't know whether it is company policy or lack of knowledge on the part of the salespeople, or whether they make commission on selling international plans, but Verizon always seems to push FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Granted, different phones and different geographies use different bands, but all modern phones phones support multiple bands. Also, all Verizon LTE phones are carrier unlocked (see second bullet in link). http://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/product/device-unlocking-policy

Determine your model number: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201296
Go to this table, find your model, then go to the Spain portion: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Even if there was a problem with the Spanish Sim, which is unlikely if you select a supported carrier (or reseller), the phone won't be a shiny paperweight it will still work on Wi-Fi.

You may be without a phone from the time that you pull away from the gate leaving Spain until you land in the US, but that is better anyway (no chance of being charged for roaming).

If you have not downloaded any offline maps, I would recommend doing so. I used Maps.me with waypoints for the Camino (VdlP) last September. But I believe Google Maps might have improved their offline offering recently. Maps.Me was great.
Thanks, latecomer, for the careful response and information. Its much appreciated.
Joe

All Verizon iPhone 5 and newer are unlocked, just buy a Spanish SIM when you get to Spain.
FYI, I tape my US SIM card and a paper clip to the back of an ID card and switch back once I get home.

Yes, I am weary of all this electronics talk, and it's made worse by the fact that I do not use technology much in my daily life so I am at a distinct disadvantage. But I have to have the ability to use wifi to contact home and I am pretty sure I would be silly to leave the GPS behind if I'm alone on the Ebro, Castellano, etc.

So, I think that I will what C Clearly and others recommended -- putting a Spanish SIM card in my iPhone. That will eliminate carrying the Spanish cell phone and charger. And I won't need anything other than wifi for skype and FaceTime for the US, so my minutes on my Spanish SIM card will all be in Spain.

That means that I am getting rid of gadgets -- no Spanish cell phone, and I'm also going to leave the little camera behind and use my cell phone. That's all good, BUT... I am having trouble finding a portable charger that doesn't weigh a lot. It's clear I can't rely on my cell phone to hold a charge all day. The lightweight chargers seem to give a poor charge, and those that give a good charge are heavy, which sort of defeats the purpose of leaving the other devices behind. I understand (I think) that the small lightweight ones will not give an iPhone a full charge, more like 60%. But shouldn't that be enough to get my phone through the day? Especially if all I'm using it for is pics and the occasional Spanish phone call. So, any recommendations on portable chargers (specific brands, available in the US, would be best for me), greatly appreciated!

Ebay f0r the Otterbox Resurgence, a battery pack phone case that comes in various colors, don't pay more than $26 for one.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...2&_nkw=otterbox+resurgence+iphone+5s&_sacat=0

http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-5-5s/resurgence-power-case/apl33-iphone-5s.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Question for my situation. I am from the USA and use a Motorola Droid with Verizon service. Verizon has a plan for Spain that activates an international plan for a period of 24 hours (i.e., it counts against my USA plan minutes and data) that is activated for the period only when I receive or send a call during that specific 24 hours -- for $5.00USD fixed fee for the total 24 hour period. My family and I typically communicate through Skype when we have internet (which I assume will work in Spain?). It would make sense to me to use Skype or other app when I have WIFI, while keeping my phone in airplane mode at most other times. If there is an emergency or I take a rest day and want to catch up with a bunch of calls, I activate this $5.00 per day plan and talk and data share away. Am I missing something?

Question for my situation. I am from the USA and use a Motorola Droid with Verizon service. Verizon has a plan for Spain that activates an international plan for a period of 24 hours (i.e., it counts against my USA plan minutes and data) that is activated for the period only when I receive or send a call during that specific 24 hours -- for $5.00USD fixed fee for the total 24 hour period. My family and I typically communicate through Skype when we have internet (which I assume will work in Spain?). It would make sense to me to use Skype or other app when I have WIFI, while keeping my phone in airplane mode at most other times. If there is an emergency or I take a rest day and want to catch up with a bunch of calls, I activate this $5.00 per day plan and talk and data share away. Am I missing something?

If you haven't seen this string it might be useful: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/verizon-cell-phone-plans.38038/

$5 a day seems less than the Travel Pass ($10 a day) at: https://www.verizonwireless.com/arc...-plans/verizon-international-plan-travelpass/

If you don't have a compelling need to use your existing mobile phone number, a Spanish SIM card would almost certainly be cheaper. (I did not expect any critical business calls and got a Spanish SIM, Orange. I had my home phone and mobile phone forward to Google Voice and received notifications and transcribed messages by email, but my family contacted me by messaging or email).

I don't have direct first hand experience as Verizon customer, but have helped some Verizon customers get correct answers to travel questions.

You might want to create a new thread with the name of the specific Verizon international plan to see if anybody has recent experience with it. As you know, Verizon has a huge footprint in the USA and it seems they always try to sell their international plans if you ask anything about traveling at their stores.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.