• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So, the Camino Digital Credential

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP2Santiago completed (Sept.15, 2018).
Just curious...has anyone been successful in procuring the digital credential yet?
I followed the steps (per the attached link)

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/blog/digital-credential-holy-year

and have reached out to the email provided (w/in the link for an assist...no response yet) I receive an error msg. when trying to apply pymt (1.50 euro) to complete the registration process.

Thanks,
Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I receive an error msg. when trying to apply pymt (1.50 euro)
The on-line payment must be made with a credit card that is enabled for 2-step authentication. The two logos next to "Pay with card" indicate this. If your card cannot deal with this requirement it may be the reason for the error message. What does it say?

2-step authentication.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The on-line payment must be made with a credit card that is enabled for 2-step authentication. The two logos next to "Pay with card" indicate this. If your card cannot deal with this requirement it may be the reason for the error message. What does it say?

View attachment 119254
Thank you Kathara1na.
I did use my credit card actually and the msg. Displayed was no permite esta operacion. There was another fellow who encountered the same issue but was unresolved when I submitted my email follow-up.

Thank you Kathara1na.
I did use my credit card actually and the msg. Displayed was no permite esta operacion. There was another fellow who encountered the same issue but was unresolved when I submitted my email follow-up.
Did your CC issuer have the 2-step authentication, though? Not all do, including those issued under Mastercard or Visa.

Hey Mary. IMHO go with the paper credential. It serves as a great reminder of all the places you will visit. As great as the Compostella is, I value my Credencial even more because of all the individual memories it stirs. It’s so easy to carry and get stamped as you walk The Way!

View attachment 119255
I tend to agree w/ you Grousedoctor but was curious so decided to explore. Thanks! Mary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did your CC issuer have the 2-step authentication, though? Not all do, including those issued under Mastercard or Visa.
Thx Dave. Thinking about further (after responding to Kathar1na earlier, it is very likely my cc isn't setup w/ two step authentication. Off I go to follow-up w/ my bank.
I appreciate ya'll and yiur quick responses and suggestions!

It's not in the slightest worth purchasing! It's virtually impossible to find an establishment which is utilising it. The APP itself doesn't even have a list of them so you'll be finishing each stage of your Camino running around trying to find someone who has the code sysyem to no avail.

I was on the Camino 3 times last September and November 2021 so can anyone tell me if things have changed, I very much doubt much progress. So in my humble opinion its a complete waste of your money and precious time!!

So in my humble opinion its a complete waste of your money and precious time!!
I'm one of the people who 'bought' a digital credential. Pure curiosity. I bought it for the Camino Frances and I don't even plan to walk the CF in the foreseeable future. Nor do I have any plans to use the thing. It costs €1.50 and the money goes to the Cathedral/Pilgrims Office. I was happy to "waste" this amount of money. My time is not particularly precious anyway.

There's room for improvement. For the app. No idea about the sellos. I think that the Credential app can be used to apply for your Compostela, i.e. to transmit your data to the Pilgrim's Office when you are close to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's not in the slightest worth purchasing! It's virtually impossible to find an establishment which is utilising it. The APP itself doesn't even have a list of them so you'll be finishing each stage of your Camino running around trying to find someone who has the code sysyem to no avail.

I was on the Camino 3 times last September and November 2021 so can anyone tell me if things have changed, I very much doubt much progress. So in my humble opinion its a complete waste of your money and precious time!!
Yowza - really good to know & feedback appreciated. Thanks Mark Francis.

I'm one of the people who 'bought' a digital credential. Pure curiosity. I bought it for the Camino Frances and I don't even plan to walk the CF in the foreseeable future. Nor do I have any plans to use the thing. It costs €1.50 and the money goes to the Cathedral/Pilgrims Office. I was happy to "waste" this amount of money. My time is not particularly precious anyway.

There's room for improvement. For the app. No idea about the sellos. I think that the Credential app can be used to apply for your Compostela, i.e. to transmit your data to the Pilgrim's Office when you are close to Santiago.
Likewise, thanks to you aKathar1na. I did ck on my cc (2 step authentication). It wasn't enabled, I enabled it, tried the transaction again, same error. So, while the authentication wasn't the issue, at least my card is enabled now. I do remember reading previously about many vendors using the 2 step authentication process. Thanks again.
Mary. Forward we go.

I like my physical Credentials with a unique and personal touch! In some I've got drawn stamps in as well. Just invaluable and isn't comparable with the digital impersonal one at all. My Credentials are filled with beautiful stories.
I don't get any benefit out of this App. Just nonsense.
Technological innovations aren't always helpful, as often suggested to us.

Just my opinion.

Dennis

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like my physical Credentials with a unique and personal touch! Got drawn stamps in some as well just invaluable and isn't comparable with the digital impersonal one at all. My Credentials are filled with beautiful stories.
I don't get any benefit out of this App. Just nonsense.
Technological innovations aren't always helpful, as often suggested to us.

Just my opinion.

Dennis
I feel the same Dennis about my Camino Frances credential. I love my little accordion book. What a beautiful story it tells.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.