• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So who is looking at May!

• Thread starter Former member 95219
  • Start date
F

Former member 95219

It’s seems like there is more than a glimmer of hope that May may offer is the chance to walk again. Just wondered if many are planning anything? I am looking at Norte in mid June!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s seems like there is more than a glimmer of hope that May may offer is the chance to walk again. Just wondered if many are planning anything? I am looking at Norte in mid June!
Ivar reported recently that the Ingles is currently possible, being entirely within Galicia - providing you can legally get to Coruña or Ferrol.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May is too soon for me, but according to this El País article, Spain is on track to vaccinate (with at least one dose) 70% of the adult population by June. Of course there's a saying about chickens and eggs hatching, so I'll wait until there is more certainty.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan on walking the Primitivo in 2022. I'd love to walk this year but think there will be too many stipulations to walk and travel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for responses! To be clear I am not looking to start a ‘is it possible’, debate, more of a ‘if we can, who’s in and how soon’ conversation!

I'm in! To be revealed shortly ;)
I like the planning aspect prior to the Camino and the building of anticipation so I wouldn't want to go next week etc. I need to brush up on my Spanish, train a little more and buy a few hiking gear. So next year around April may for the Camino Primitivo. Jungleboy, can you tell me when you went and how many days it took you in 2018? Any pearls of wisdom. I'll be walking alone.

So next year around April may for the Camino Primitivo. Jungleboy, can you tell me when you went and how many days it took you in 2018? Any pearls of wisdom. I'll be walking alone.
We went in late May / early June and there was quite a bit of rain. It took us 13 walking days.
Here is my live thread and these are my stages (listing distances and accommodation for some days and not others, for unknown reasons!):

Day 1 - Oviedo to Escamplero (via the Naranco churches) = 17.2kms (Albergue Municipal del Escamplero)
Day 2 - Escamplero to San Juan de Villapañada = 17.8kms
Day 3 - Villapañada to Bodenaya = 28kms
Day 4 - Bodenaya to Campiello = 24kms (Casa del Ricardo)
Day 5 - Campiello to Berducedo = 29kms (Casa Marquez)
Day 6 - Berducedo to Castro (Albergue Juvenil)
Day 7 - Castro to Fonsagrada (Cantábrica)
Day 8 - Fonsagrada to Cádavo Boleiro (Porta Santa)
Day 9 - Cádavo to Lugo (Muralla Romana)
Day 10 - Rest Day in Lugo
Day 11 - Lugo to Ferreira (A Nave)
Day 12 - Ferreira to Boente (Os Albergues)
Day 13 - Ferreira to Santa Irene
Day 14 - Santa Irene to Santiago

I walked the Primitivo in Spring 2014 Oviedo to Santiago in 15 days via Pola de Allande 'cos there was a white-out on Hospitales and in September 2017 in 18 days via Pola de Allande because I like the town even if the ex-Guardia Civil Barracks Albergue is a bit of an acquired taste. We also diverted from Lugo on the Camino Verde in 2017 which was well worth the effort. Sobrado dos Monxes is worth the extra days hike.

A pearl - don't attempt Hospitales in the Spring snows on your own unless you are absolutely confident in your ability to make a decision to retreat.

Sorry to rain on your parade but, in my view, this is the year to do things in your own area.

My question is when will each of our pilgrimages be best for the countries we are to pass through?

To my mind there are two aspects. In alphabetical order they are economic and social.

And the only people who can answer these questions is the people in each place.

It is not for us as outsiders to decide what is best for Spain (or France etc)

It is not for us as outsiders to say we have been vaccinated so there is no problem. For example, there is some evidence from my national health service that vaccinated people can be carriers (and spreaders), while not being affected themselves. I am sure as time goes by the circumstances and limits of this will become clear.

Out of an abundance of caution, for yourself and for your Spanish hosts, my answer is 2022 at the earliest.

And I say this having not completed my Via Francigena and walks in UK and Canada in 2020 as booked. I will return when I judge the locals and authorities will wish to greet me with open arms and with smiles on their faces. For me, I hope that will be in 2022.

Otherwise I am just a helicopter tourist: dropping in and leaving a few coins behind as I move on.

a glimmer of hope that May may offer is the chance to walk again. Just wondered if many are planning anything?

The UK government says "It is illegal to travel abroad from the UK for holidays". And goes on to give specific advice for Spain.

So, yes, planning many things in my home country to keep up the fitness.

So @Chef66, I wish you kia kaha, kia mā'ia, kia mana'wa'nui (be strong, confident and patient)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My personal belief is that you have as much chance of commencing a government sanctioned/ lawful Camino in May as you have of shaking hands with Santiago when you get there. I’d love to be wrong and it’s possible that that I am, omniscience isn’t one of my life skills, but it’s the 22nd April today and various EC members are busily telling various media resources what they want to happen. When they actually start planning to make a plan, shortly after they’ve planned to make a plan, and provided that current plans resolve into an actual effective vaccination plan. Well, then we can start planning.
Also personally I could, if I would, create the scenario whereby I could travel to Spain compliant with current requirements. Romp the Caminos and stay home for a fortnight of home brew and trying to recover the veg garden on return. No government could stop me. My conscience might 😉

I am hoping/planning a week in the Meseta starting on May 15th. The state of Alarm in Spain will be finishing on May 9th, and I am lucky enough to be just 6 hours away from Burgos by car.
I must admit I do have mixed feelings, I understand it is not the best moment for being moving around and I understand I will have to be staying in pensions/hostals/hotels rather than albergues.

However, I also believe

1) I am inmune, I have been through COVID and back, I should be protected by my antibodies
2) COVID has left some worrying physical effects on me 6 months later, I do not know how it will evolve, I still feel fit to do some Camino, I am young but I do not know what might happen in the near/mid-term future
3) the Francés is calling me, it will be beautiful, quiet meseta, without the crowds
4) It is 15 years now since my first Camino, Burgos-Santiago

This said, I will wait till the very last minute before making a decision, only if health conditions are reasonable enough, but I honestly feel I cannot do any damage to anybody by going onto the Camino. Up to that moment when I can decide whether to go ahead or not, I will be excited, day dreaming and happy when I think about it.
Still, if at the last minute I have to cancel, I will not be disappointed, these 3 weeks of anticipation and expectations will be rewarding by itself regardless of the outcome.

I can only sit and wait now!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My personal belief is that you have as much chance of commencing a government sanctioned/ lawful Camino in May as you have of shaking hands with Santiago when you get there. I’d love to be wrong and it’s possible that that I am, omniscience isn’t one of my life skills, but it’s the 22nd April today and various EC members are busily telling various media resources what they want to happen. When they actually start planning to make a plan, shortly after they’ve planned to make a plan, and provided that current plans resolve into an actual effective vaccination plan. Well, then we can start planning.
Also personally I could, if I would, create the scenario whereby I could travel to Spain compliant with current requirements. Romp the Caminos and stay home for a fortnight of home brew and trying to recover the veg garden on return. No government could stop me. My conscience might 😉
Fully agree. My final vaccine shot is on May 26th. After that, I am waiting for things to straighten up. Then I will go. Probably in early Sept. I hope. Before that, hopefully 4 weeks in Kriti (Creete) with my (much) better half.

However, I also believe

1) I am immune, I have been through COVID and back, I should be protected by my antibodies

So, @amancio, you will be alright. That is nice for you.

Currently health experts are saying you can still be a carrier.

So, what about the people you will pass by and have not had the privileges you enjoy.

Kia kaha, arohanui (take care, have compassion). It is a pilgrimage after all.

However, I also believe

1) I am inmune, I have been through COVID and back, I should be protected by my antibodies
2) COVID has left some worrying physical effects on me 6 months later,
You may or may not be immune. It's not yet known how long antibodies last after being ill, or how effective they are against the new variants.

Some good new for those with long term Covid effects is that the vaccines seem to be helping to resolve those long term symptoms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for responses! To be clear I am not looking to start a ‘is it possible’, debate, more of a ‘if we can, who’s in and how soon’ conversation!

I understand that is your intent and I sympathize with it, but I'm not sure that it's possible to talk about who's in and how soon without the question of possibility being resolved. I would love to take a flight out from Canada next week and start walking, but autumn 2021 is only an outside possibility. I am very reluctantly coming to the conclusion that it will be next year.

If one is looking for a self-isolation Camino, then Mozarabe might be the choice. In June 2019 myself and wife walked Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada. Completely alone. Albergues were deserted, but one could get a code for keys by contacting Amigos in advance. We met only one British lady walking opposite direction before Guadix. Temperature reaching +40C in shadow, but what beautiful scenery!
Perhaps I need to explore this direction again :)
IMG_2872.JPG5f7f9d4a-1dbb-409e-a149-9044c5b72fb0.JPG

I'm looking at May 2nd and June 4th , because I get my vaccination on those dates. 🥂🍾
Am I wrong that one should not assume they are good to go on vaccination day, but rather two weeks beyond. You likely won’t have the stores of antibodies built up! I am not in the medical field, but thought this was the standard protocol.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May is too soon for me, but according to this El País article, Spain is on track to vaccinate (with at least one dose) 70% of the adult population by June. Of course there's a saying about chickens and eggs hatching, so I'll wait until there is more certainty.

I tend to monitor certain airlflights in the NYC metro area. Both American Airlines (JFK) and United (EWR) are not scheduling any direct, non-stop flights from this market area to MADRID before-mid June to early July. So, this likely suggests airlines do not anticipate, right now, opening up before mid June or early July.

Am I wrong that one should not assume they are good to go on vaccination day, but rather two weeks beyond. You likely won’t have the stores of antibodies built up! I am not in the medical field, but thought this was the standard protocol.
I know , the two dates I'm talking about are my vaccination dates. I'm not going to walk outside the country this year.🙏

My second jab is end of May ! Asp I will be on the Via podiensis and then if the Spanish government allow pilgrims to come I will continue on the Camino Frances( last time was in April 2019)
My youngest daughter who lives in Slovenia is planning to take the bus from llubljana and meet me n the Aubrac area ... after more than one year without seeing her , this would be the most perfect way to catch up isn’t it?? Good luck to everyone !! I will be wearing the Ivar pin on my backpack!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I intend to do two weeks of the Camino Frances, arriving in Barcelona May 20th, leaving June 5th, if the relevant regions are open to international arrivals. I speak each week with people in Spain who are desperately worried that tourists won’t come. I understand why some of you aren’t comfortable with it yet, though, even if it’s feasible. For my own part, I’ll be using FFP3 masks, keeping my distance, staying only in private rooms, and feeling good about helping people there, if we can go. We’ll reschedule for late August/early September if May doesn’t look likely. I’ve spent most of the time since March 2020 in isolation with vulnerable people—until recently, I hadn’t even been to a supermarket and was scared of doing so—but feel confident about what we’re doing, now that vaccinations are rolling out, and so long as people use good masks properly, etc.

Anyway, yes, fingers crossed I’ll see some of you there in May/June :D

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ib
I tend to monitor certain airlflights in the NYC metro area. Both American Airlines (JFK) and United (EWR) are not scheduling any direct, non-stop flights from this market area to MADRID before-mid June to early July. So, this likely suggests airlines do not anticipate, right now, opening up before mid June or early July.
Iberia will sell you a nonstop JFK to MAD for Friday 30 April for only $130 one way. A return flight in the beginning of June is $167 !!! Quite a bargain if we could actually travel to Spain. :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

So who is looking at May!​

I am but May 2022 - such a long time to wait! Although Spain's virus figures are "not too bad?" a lot of Europe close to Spain, except Portugal, are still high.

Ib

Iberia will sell you a nonstop JFK to MAD for Friday 30 April for only $130 one way. A return flight in the beginning of June is $167 !!! Quite a bargain if we could actually travel to Spain. :rolleyes:
Yes, Iberia! They are selling non stop straight through....from JFK...but the US carriers are not...

US carriers tend to prioritise their domestic network so that is no surprise to me!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, Iberia! They are selling non stop straight through....from JFK...but the US carriers are not...
When we fly to Spain we only fly on Iberia either from JFK or Washington, DC. Until Covid, they had a flight that left early evening and arrived in Madrid at 6AM or before. That gave us the entire day to get to our next destination. I hope that flight returns when Spain opens her doors to US travelers.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back