A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Soap for body and clothes???

Camino(s) past & future
Hope to walk the Camino July 2018.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a soap that will work for body/hair/clothes? I'm guessing that any soap will "work" but I'm looking for what works "best" and is easy to carry. What do pilgrims use?

Advertisment

Calisteve

Camino(s) past & future
June 16 Camino Frances
July 17 Camino Frances with my son (aged 14)
July 18 Camino Portugues
Have also seen many recommendations for Savon de Marseilles. Personally - for this year I have bought a bottle a 89ml bottle of 'Wilderness Wash with Citronella' from Sea to Summit.

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Wilderness Wash from Sea To Summit. Got it here. I repackaged it into a smaller container.

Calisteve

Camino(s) past & future
June 16 Camino Frances
July 17 Camino Frances with my son (aged 14)
July 18 Camino Portugues
Advantages of Wilderness Wash - you don't need an additional container + it's environmentally friendly + the citronella version claims to 'discourage' mozzies etc. Then again, on previous Caminos I just used a bar of soap in a flannel.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
2019- Invierno
We took half a bar of Bronner's for body and clothes washing (when we didn't have a washing machine). I used conditioning shampoo sachets for my hair.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2014
I liked Dr Bonners Almond soap for body and clothes. I used Lush jojoba bar for hair - the Dr Bonners was too drying - but if you have short hair, it is probably fine.
Agreed. I used lush for my hair and body but take half of a Dr. Bronner’s bar for clothes. Lasted me 38 days with plenty left.

Camino(s) past & future
Hope to walk the Camino July 2018.
I'm thinking I'm just going to shave all my hair off and go bald to avoid having to wash or comb my hair. SIMPLIFY! That way I only have to worry about washing body and clothes!

Tincatinker

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
I'm mystified. People carry bathing condiments even when their Camino does not coincide with their birthdays?

Even so how do they ensure sufficient personal space in Albergues and at the bar?

OK, that was a joke ( or was it?). I used to carry the good Dr's impressive fluids until one escaped. Like spilt milk it put itself about... Now I use a fragment of one of those 1 Kg blocks of Sabon or whatever I find abandoned by previous pilgs. It's all just fat and alkaloid and it all does more or less the same job.

At least I don't need to shave my head to achieve baldness ;0)

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo,2017,Argonne and salvador,sept.2019
Does anyone have a recommendation on a soap that will work for body/hair/clothes? I'm guessing that any soap will "work" but I'm looking for what works "best" and is easy to carry. What do pilgrims use?
I used a bar of African black soap on the Camino and found it excellent for all things. I use it at home with our hard water,and it still sundaes up well.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
I use my regular small size bar of Ivory soap in my home soap dish: just put the lid on and bring it along for body and clothes. But I also bring a small plastic container of my regular cheap shampoo for my hair. I tried to use the soap, but it took two washes to rinse out the sticky residue. Whatever you plan to bring, if it is not your regular, try it out before you leave.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
C. de Salvador/Primitivo (2018)
Ivory soap and Dr. Bronner's soaps are both actually pretty harsh. I know this because I make soap and I look at the ingredients. I loved my own grapefruit scented soap on the Camino. That being said, even nice homemade soap does not work well for hair (altho some here said they use regular soap for all). The pH of soap is too high for hair and, especially with long hair like mine, really fries it. I made my own bar shampoo and conditioner which worked very well, but they are complicated to make. Many people like Lush bar shampoos, but I thought they disintegrated too quickly. I found this source of bar shampoos and conditioner that I highly recommend: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered
She makes great, long-lasting hard bar shampoos and conditioners and I think you can pick the scent. She's in the US.. not sure about shipping elsewhere.

Sunrayrob

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 18 September - 21 October 2017
Oxfam Trailwalker 2013
Lush was good for body and clothes but we found we should have taken 2 each. I agree that you need a bos for it which Lush also sell.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
My personal favorite for body, hair and clothes (hand wash) is the locally sourced "Heno de Pravia." It is available in 4 and 5 oz bars. The most commonly seen is the 4.0 oz bar. I bring a supply home with me each time to to Spain.

Ironically, the soap is now produced in Mexico. However, it is far more expensive in the US, at least in FL (when I can find it) than it is in Spain.

This soap is an olive oil based soap with a clean non-fruity fragrance. As the label says, it has been a standard across Spain for more than 100 years. (See photo).

You can obtain it in just about every tienda and supermercado in Spain.

Hope this helps.

1527342122325.png

Bodi

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Najera Sept. 2017; Sarria to SdC Sept. 2018
Last year on the CF, I used a Lush shampoo bar and 1/2 a conditioner bar for hair and body. I also took Seat to Summit Pocket Laundry Wash dissolving tissues. As others have mentioned, get the box for the Lush bars. All worked really well.

cindyjo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012
Camino del Norte /Primitivo (2014)
Chemin la Puy (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
I recently finished the VDLP /Sanabres and for the first time took an easy-grip sudzing bar by Johnson’s Kids. It’s a bar of soap in a soft pouch that doesn’t slip out your hand, lasts a long time, and really makes a rich lather. It can also be used without a wash cloth if you don’t carry one or it’s not handy. In addition, it doesn’t get as messy as some other soaps when you carry it in a small plastic bag or box. It has a light watermelon scent and I used it for both clothes and body. I didn’t try it on my hair. It lasted the whole walk with some to spare.

Camino(s) past & future
2015, Camino Frances, May
2017, Camino Frances, May 7
My personal favorite for body, hair and clothes (hand wash) is the locally sourced "Heno de Pravia." It is available in 4 and 5 oz bars. The most commonly seen is the 4.0 oz bar. I bring a supply home with me each time to to Spain.

Ironically, the soap is now produced in Mexico. However, it is far more expensive in the US, at least in FL (when I can find it) than it is in Spain.

This soap is an olive oil based soap with a clean non-fruity fragrance. As the label says, it has been a standard across Spain for more than 100 years. (See photo).

You can obtain it in just about every tienda and supermercado in Spain.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 42960
We like this soap also.

tominrm

Hiking to Celebrate the End of Working Life.
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2014)
del Norte ( 2015)
Portuguese ( 2016)
Primitivo ( 2017)
VdlP (2018)
I use Ivory soap. I chose it because it is mild and LIGHT. It does not have any colour so does not leave any stain without having to rinse vigorously.

Camino(s) past & future
(2018)
I designed and invented a product called the Exfoliating Soap Pocket Shower Buddy (theshowerbuddy.com). I use it at home and especially when traveling. Soap stays in the center pocket and dries quickly. Works well on body, hair, and for washing clothes. It works equally as well with body wash / liquid soap. In addition to being a fabulous back scratcher, it also exfoliates your skin and stimulates lymph fluid to help eliminate toxins. If you want to try one, please visit my site. If you do not live in the US, please contact me with your mailing address and I'll calculate the cost of postage. The feedback I get on the product is consistent; "It's awesome, fabulous, wonderful, and I love it!"

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2017 October)

I use Miracle II, available on Amazon. A green liquid, comes in plain or with moisturizer. I like the moisturizer.

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
On my first Camino I took Dr. Bronner's liquid and put it in a 3 oz size plastic travel bottle. I used it for my hair, showering and laundry. It worked fine. For my next two Caminos I just filled my little travel bottle with super cheap Suave shampoo. Yep, I used it on my hair, showering and laundry. When it ran low, I filled it up with the leftovers laying around from others (like Tinky does) and probably ended up with a few brands in the same bottle. My hair, body, and clothes still got squeaky clean. :)

jeffnd

Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2014
I used a bar of generic glycerin soap I found a store because I lost my bar of soap I brought over. It was fine for me, but not so good for my clothes.

I'm preparing for a wilderness hike this summer, and I've been reading up on camp soaps, Dr. Bronners, etc., and I've made up my mind. I'm going with a small bottle of regular Dawn dish soap. It's cheap, I can get it from the dollar store for... well, a dollar. It's powerful and a great cleaner, oilfield workers use it to get oil out of their clothes and off their skin. It's safe for you and the environment. It's what they use when they clean birds and animals after an oil spill.

Camino Chris

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I used a bar of generic glycerin soap I found a store because I lost my bar of soap I brought over. It was fine for me, but not so good for my clothes.

I'm preparing for a wilderness hike this summer, and I've been reading up on camp soaps, Dr. Bronners, etc., and I've made up my mind. I'm going with a small bottle of regular Dawn dish soap. It's cheap, I can get it from the dollar store for... well, a dollar. It's powerful and a great cleaner, oilfield workers use it to get oil out of their clothes and off their skin. It's safe for you and the environment. It's what they use when they clean birds and animals after an oil spill.
I'd have no problem using Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's in my kitchen right now, but have always wondered if it might be a tad harsh on my hair.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
JillGat Equipment Questions 27
alaskadiver Equipment Questions 43
francesh17 Equipment Questions 75
DurhamParish Equipment Questions 18
Hobbes Equipment Questions 21

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June