• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soap for body and clothes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you live? I'll see if I can find a solid shampoo/conditioner maker where you are.
Hi Jill, Ive been following this thread and am very keen to hear of your advice on purchasing a shampoo/ conditioner bar. I tried lush and it fried my hair. I have long curly hair. I live in Australia and wondering if you could suggest a site where I don't have to pay extravagant postal fees! Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll look into Australian suppliers. Do you have an Australian Etsy? You know, this would probably be a money maker for some shop in Pamplona.

This is what I've found so far in your part of the world:
Ethique: nourishedlife.com.au
Creative Aromas, New Zealand: creativearomasnz.co.nz
Stone Rose Soaps

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
For me, good old unscented Ivory Soap. Cheap, widely available and gentle on skin and hair. Works well on clothes as well although I rarely needed for that purpose.

For me, good old unscented Ivory Soap. Cheap, widely available and gentle on skin and hair. Works well on clothes as well although I rarely needed for that purpose.

Actually, Ivory is a very harsh detergent soap. Even for those who find it works for their skin, the PH is way off and it will fry hair.

I’m my case, I’ve not had a problem for years but I completely understand that we’re all different. I agree that hair, especially if it’s longer is a very different story.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We use a JR Liggetts shampoo bar (jojoba and peppermint). I carry it in a cotton pouch I crocheted...basically a washcloth closed on three sides and a carry/hang loop.

I've always used Liggetts for body and hair and a cold water wash bar that I buy in France or Spain, depending on where I start, for clothes. If you are going to do your laundry in machines, detergent is supplied, but beware . . . it is HIGHLY scented almost always!

This is what I've found so far in your part of the world:
Ethique: nourishedlife.com.au
Creative Aromas, New Zealand: creativearomasnz.co.nz
Stone Rose Soaps
Thanks Jill for response!! I checked out the websites you suggested unfortunately the NZ brands don't ship to Australia, seriously?! :( and the Ethique: nourishedlife.com.au is quite expensive but we do have Etsy Aus, and even though I'm not familiar with the site I will have a look..what exactly determines I have the right product. Thanks for your help :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Jill for response!! I checked out the websites you suggested unfortunately the NZ brands don't ship to Australia, seriously?! :( and the Ethique: nourishedlife.com.au is quite expensive but we do have Etsy Aus, and even though I'm not familiar with the site I will have a look..what exactly determines I have the right product. Thanks for your help :)

Real soap, that is used for the body, no matter how gentle the ingredients, is far too alkaline for hair. Some people do a vinegar wash after shampooing with soap, to counter-act that, but - while on the Camino - that kind of negates the advantage of carrying just a hard bar for the hair. I've written a few long pieces here on the forum about soap vs shampoo, which you can find with a search.

What you want is called a syndet shampoo bar. I know that sounds artificial and chemically, but the ingredients are usually very gentle and are mostly plant-based. But it is a different process and does not use lye, which soap does (to be called "soap", it must involve saponifying fats with lye).

Yes, they often seem expensive, but the fact is that they will last far longer than bottled shampoo and are better for your hair. Lush is the most well-known commercial brand of bar shampoo, but their formulation includes some questionable ingredients and they tend to disintegrate faster than others (I've written about this elsewhere, too).

Especially if you have long hair that you want to preserve (and/or at least be able to get a comb through!), you should stay away from Dr. Bronners and other soaps or products that are made for use on the body.

I used the filters on ETSY to find shops in Australia, and used "syndet shampoo bar" to search. I came up with these shops and more.

I used the filters on ETSY to find shops in Australia, and used "syndet shampoo bar" to search. I came up with these shops and more.

Thanks so much for your help!! I have ordered a shampoo bar and a CURL creme (bonus) and I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I already expereincing and feeling the community spirit and I haven't even started walking :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take Dr. Bronners Soap for washing my clothes and shower, but I would never use that on my (really long) hair. Because of the length I wash my hair only every 3 to 5 days. So I filled my regular shampoo which I use at home in a small (30 ml-50 ml, depending on the length of the journey) bottle. Saving some weight is not worth messing around with your hair and risking to damage it.

I'd have no problem using Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's in my kitchen right now, but have always wondered if it might be a tad harsh on my hair.
It’s made to get the grease out. However you will find that it also strips all the oils out of your hair and skin. “Squeaky clean” equates to removal of all natural oils and is therefore extremely drying.

It’s made to get the grease out. However you will find that it also strips all the oils out of your hair and skin. “Squeaky clean” equates to removal of all natural oils and is therefore extremely drying.
I understand and agree with you, but I think differently when I'm on the camino. My opinion is that 4-6 weeks of using a harsher soap would not be permanently harmful to me. Once back home I think my natural oils would go back to normal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried on my last leave out: Aleppo soap with 20 % Laurel oil. First my hair felt really strange a bit stringy but with a vinegar solution as conditioner after a week use it’s looked and felt normal. This soap foams pretty good and washes out well too. I don’t know what ingredients your soap has.
But is worked for me. The only thing it’s natural soap that’s flakes so you kind of have to mold the soap into shape. I try to use less plastic and this seems to be a great way. It can be used for shaving as well. If you can find ivy on the way 5 to 10 leaves wash your load of clothes.

Yes. I have a Dr. Bronner bar of soap that’s great for shower, shampoo, and wash. It should last me from SJPP to Finesterre. Buen Camino.
I've used this myself in the past on other (non-camino) adventures as have found it functional. Some friends have told me that they don't like it for their hair, but I have never taken issue with it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A great suggestion Dave. Not only great to use but is very easy to rinse off w/o the need for a lot of water. Buy the large container and then decant to a small one.

Yup. . . have used it for thousands of miles backpacking, and while on Camino, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.