• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner/Clothes

sadaigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (July 2017), Via Francigena (May 2019)
I've read a few threads about this topic, but I'm still not sure what I should bring.

I'm a female with hair that tangles easily, and I guess I'm curious as to others experiences with soap. I'm leaning towards Dr. Bronners, but I'm not sure about how that would work on my hair....

Also, how does one keep their soap dry? or at least from getting on everything? A tin? A bag? Mesh bag?

I also have a Scrubba for washing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUI7HFC/?tag=casaivar02-20), and was curious to see if anyone else has used it on the Camino? What soap did you use? How did it work?

Any and all replies help! 146 days left until I head out!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like to travel light - the friend I walked with in 2013 must have had a kilo of cosmetics and stuff. I have my hair cut especially short and take half a bar of handmade (artisan) soap - 55g - I use this for showering, washing my hair and washing my clothes - though if I have a hotel stop it's a luxury to use the free lotions and potions :)

I just kept the soap in a ziplock bag for the duration.

I like to travel light - the friend I walked with in 2013 must have had a kilo of cosmetics and stuff. I have my hair cut especially short and take half a bar of handmade (artisan) soap - I use this for showering, washing my hair and washing my clothes - though if I have a hotel stop it's a luxury to use the free lotions and potions :)

Thanks for replying! I'm also thinking of bringing an artisan soap I found, but I'm just not sure how well it would wash clothes.

My hiking buddy will be bringing her cosmetics, but I'm with you on this one. Lighter is better :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for replying! I'm also thinking of bringing an artisan soap I found, but I'm just not sure how well it would wash clothes.

My hiking buddy will be bringing her cosmetics, but I'm with you on this one. Lighter is better :)

I had no problems or issues using the soap to wash my clothes, including socks and undies, it did a great job. It was quite a well matured, hand made, cold-process soap so was quite hard. I think anything soft would maybe end in bit of a mush.

The only other cosmetic type items I took were a combined moisturiser and sun screen - just a small one as if it had run out they were freely available in Spain. I took a small tube of toothpaste (again you can replenish in Spain if need be) and I took a lip balm (the stick-shaped one).

On the odd occasion I used a washing machine and dryer for my clothes if an albergue had that facility.

Have a great camino! :)

@sadaigh I have a scrubba and have taken it on trips, but never backpacking due to the weight. You can accomplish the same with a sylnylon dry bag for a fraction of the weight. Load the bag with water, soap, and dirty wash. Agitate (shake vigorously), soak, agitate, soak. Then repeat with clean water for a rinse. It works pretty well. You may still want to get a deep clean in a machine when the opportunity presents itself. To dry, I wring, then wring in my pack towel, and hang. IMHO I do not think the built in washboard makes that much of a difference.

@linkster Thanks for the feedback on the Scrubba. I'll have to check my pack weight and test it out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@sadaigh I have a scrubba and have taken it on trips, but never backpacking due to the weight. You can accomplish the same with a sylnylon dry bag for a fraction of the weight. Load the bag with water, soap, and dirty wash. Agitate (shake vigorously), soak, agitate, soak. Then repeat with clean water for a rinse. It works pretty well. You may still want to get a deep clean in a machine when the opportunity presents itself. To dry, I wring, then wring in my pack towel, and hang. IMHO I do not think the built in washboard makes that much of a difference.

I have bought a 12 liter superlight dry sac that weighs just over an ounce that I plan to use to wash clothes. I tested it put at home, and it worked well. I think that it will be great not to have to wait for and tie up wash basins.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have bought a 12 liter superlight dry sac that weighs just over an ounce that I plan to use to wash clothes. I tested it put at home, and it worked well. I think that it will be great not to have to wait for and tie up wash basins.
What soap have you used in your wash sac? Is it the same soap you are planning to use for your hair?

Sadaigh, If you are thinking of the Dr. Bronners for soap and shampoo, definitely try it out first. I did not care for it on my hair. In fact, test everything you take. Think about how you will access your water bottles or your guidebook or your raingear. And, be sure to have rubber tips for your trekking poles!

I like to travel light - the friend I walked with in 2013 must have had a kilo of cosmetics and stuff. I have my hair cut especially short and take half a bar of handmade (artisan) soap - 55g - I use this for showering, washing my hair and washing my clothes - though if I have a hotel stop it's a luxury to use the free lotions and potions :)

Ditto on the soap, the short haircut, and multi-use for the soap I carried. I used a ziploc and a mesh bag. I never had a problem. I also brought a very small bottle (travel size) with hair conditioner in it, as mine can get flyaway. I just used a dab as a leave-in conditioner.

I really don't think you will need a Scrubba. They are heavy, and I found that handwashing was fine, I never had to wait for a sink to wash in, and I traveled at one of the crowded times. On occasion I went in with one or two others to share a washer and dryer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have curly hair. Very. You can imagine that it needs conditioning. What it doesn't need is shampoo. What ever you bring, try it at home first. I just bring conditioner (which contains the same cleaning agents as shampoo btw!) and a laundry soap bar. Sunlight is the one I took last time. I have also brought Tide's tiny pouches of liquid Tide, but they are a whole lot of plastic for little product, and expensive.

I bought my Sunlight bar a few months before walking, unwrapped it and let it dry out to decrease ots weight. En route leave it out on a piece of plastic until dry and pack it up in a ziplock in the morning.

Once upon a time, when I forst wLked, you had to bring your washing machine soap, but it is now part of the machine or at least the coast of the wash. Leave the pods at home.

Do NOT buy the $$$$ Lush products and their tin can. To much money, and a mess in the can in the end.

I've read a few threads about this topic, but I'm still not sure what I should bring.

I'm a female with hair that tangles easily, and I guess I'm curious as to others experiences with soap. I'm leaning towards Dr. Bronners, but I'm not sure about how that would work on my hair....

Also, how does one keep their soap dry? or at least from getting on everything? A tin? A bag? Mesh bag?

I also have a Scrubba for washing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUI7HFC/?tag=casaivar02-20), and was curious to see if anyone else has used it on the Camino? What soap did you use? How did it work?

Forget the Scrubba. You don't need the extra weight. You'll be fine washing your few clothes by hand or paying a small fee to get your laundry done occasionally.

I'd recommend a shampoo soap bar for washing your hair and body and a laundry soap bar (like Sunlight or Sard) for your laundry. You can soften soap bars in the microwave and cut them in half if you think they're too big.

Keeping your soap dry is a good point. It's also an issue in Alburgue showers which rarely have hooks or shelves. I made small mesh drawstring bags to carry soap, hang it in the shower and let it dry. You can also keep it in ziplock bags.

What soap have you used in your wash sac? Is it the same soap you are planning to use for your hair?
Last time I cut off a piece of a Zote laundry soap bar and used that. I had another bar of hair and body soap that I loved so much that I was afraid I'd run out if I used in on my laundry too. :) Then when I came home and went to buy another bar I found that it had been discontinued! :( I managed to find 3 bars on clearance that I am hoarding for my next Caminos.
I did run out of the Zote, and I picked up a small tube of travel laundry soap that I used for the rest of Camino. I think that I'll get a small bottle of camp suds for using in the wash bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like @SYates I use the shampoo I normally use at home. I know it works for my hair and it doubles as shower gel. I put it in 2 100ml bottles. This would pass airport security, but for me is about balancing weight and a precaution against maybe forgetting it in the shower. I keep mine in the mesh side pockets of my pack, one each side like my water bottles. I carry a piece of good soap that is not 'new'. Old soap has hardened so lasts longer.
Handwashing clothes with either some of the shampoo or the soap keeps better control of the amount used. Also I put it on the clothes not in the basin as too often it runs away :-(
My hair is short so I have a 'Camino cut' which has grown back to my preferred length by the time I reach Santiago/home. No conditioner, no cosmetics - but that is my choice. Small comb, not a brush. This last all depends on your hair length etc.

I will bring Dr. Bronners multi soap for face, hair, shower and lundry.

If you wanna bring washbag, I recommend the plastic bag for dutyfree products.
You can get it if you purchase anything at aitport.
Please check the picture. Lol

It is stronger than normal plactic bag, I brought it to use when I washed my lundry.
It was pretty useful and easy to throw out when you feel that it is no more useful.

Attachments

• DSC04458.JPG
    DSC04458.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 101
You can tell from my gravatar that I do not have complications with shampoo. I prefer liquid soap over bar soap because the bar soap is a hassle to keep dry and pack. The liquid is easily packed and accessible for washing hands etc. I have used Sea to Summit Citronella Wilderness Wash for years with good success. I am not sure if the citronella really works to deter bugs as stated, but smells good. The bottle that the soap comes in is a sturdy Naglene like bottle. It has a solid screw top to prevent spills. It has a small flat squirt insert in the top of the bottle that helps meter usage of the soap and is easily removed for refilling. This is all personal preference, but you may consider repacking your liquid soap or shampoo in a similar bottle (hotel shampoo bottle with a screw top not a flip top).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I saw a Camino Youtube video and the girl recommends LUSH bar soap (for all hair, body, clothes). I'm in Slovakia so can't get it locally but found a naturopathic store in my small town and bought a shampoo/body/laundry soap bar to test (5 euros) before leaving for my CF in 49 days :)

Soap: I had a bar of dollarstore handsoap that I kept in a plastic soap case (from MEC), in a ziplock bag with my shampoo bottle. I didn't really care if it dried out, the ziplock kept my stuff safe!

Shampoo: I have long thick tangly hair, and it was always up and out of the way on my Camino. I didn't pack Shampoo initially (thinking I'd just use my handsoap), but ultimately the extra weight was worth it :D

Pack light and don't over think it! You can buy all that stuff in Spain just as easily.

On our first Camino, I cut my hair short (I'm male, but with quite long hair). On the second, I soap plus a Lush shampoo bar (and Frutis style gel in a 1oz bottle to use as leave in conditioner). That worked fine too.

I concur on leaving the scruba. Plenty of wash basins. Never carry what you can borrow.

I always carry my soap (used for body and clothes) in these soap savers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068UZBHS/?tag=casaivar02-20

I find leaving soap in just a ziploc results in a wet pile of goo. I hang these from my bunk and they are dry by morning. And they really do save enough soap that one Lush bar got me from SJPP to Muxia.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started off with a small bar of my favourite soap in a ziploc bag and just used a good Spanish castille soap once that ran out. Whatever was cheap! Buy a two pack and share with a friend.
Shampoo - just use the soap. I did miss conditioner the most so a small bottle is probably worth taking.

Reading all this its clear that I'm singularly under obsessed with washing and laundry when I'm trekking. Perhaps that's why I often walk on my own. I just use soap and water (hot or cold) and have always thought that it worked OK.

I took a small bottle of leave in conditioner.... Mine was L'Oreal but there are a few different ones... just 50cl in size so very light.

I tried it before I left for a few months and now I use it every day. I have shoulder length fine fly-away hair that turned to straw on my first camino. I learned that half a bottle would last me for the whole journey... I only used a tiny amount each day... it's so small and light and perfect for my hair... I loved this solution!

If you have time, try out a few different options at home before you go... Lush shampoo bar (in it's own tin) and this little bottle of conditioner was a great solution for me :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After I have used my soap I leave it outside the small plastic bag until it dries out hard. I have sometimes put it outside on the windowsill in the sun to increase hardness, but this means there is a danger of forgetting it. so normally it is on the floor under the bunk.

I put my bar of dr Bronners in a mesh bag ( the type garlic comes in ) and used it for hair, showering and laundry. Scrubs nicely and doesn't slip. Put in in a zip lock bag to pack.

Can I have the recipe for this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My hair is long and tangly too. I used a wonderful shampoo bar from Lush and also got a conditioner bar but it sucked. So I ended up buying a 200ml bottle of Pantene conditioner there which was well worth its weight. Having said all of that, the shampoo bars were messy, would swell, were hard to keep dry and were quite honestly a nuisance. A friend of mine who did the Camino brought a bottle of liquid cleanser from a camping store that washed her hair, body and clothes and she liked it so you may want to check that out. I would bring that next time but carry a separate conditioner. It's funny though, one of the beauties of the Camino for me was to wash and comb my hair and then throw a buff on my hair and that was it! No blow drying or straightening, just au natural!

Buen Camino!

I also have super tangley hair. What worked for me was a Dove bar of soap and conditioner tube (15 mL from hair dye kit). My hair never felt quite 'right' but it was good enough for brushing and a pony tail. And the weight stayed pretty low.

I used dry shampoo made by LUSH and loved it. It comes in a small round cake which comes in a small tin container about 2 inches in diameter. The shampoo is made with fresh natural ingredients. I used it for shampoo and also soap and laundry hand washing. It was perfect.When I wasn't walking I simply stood it up in the tin container to dry. While walking just closed the tin and didn't worry about it. I would definitely use it again. There are tons of places in Europe that sell Lush products. Fewer in this country. Check on-line to see where you can get it. Also, there are many different dry shampoos for different hair types.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another thumbs down for the Lush bars. Super curly hair. And it is soooooo expensive. Especially when you buy the matching tin. After taxes I paid close to C$20!

To mis-quote Stalin - no hair, no problem (see avatar).

Can I just say you can't really wash clothes on the Camino properly merely refresh them. Don't bring anything too light coloured - I once (foolishly) took a white techno teeshirt that had grey gussets and shoulders. By the time we reached SdC it was uniform grey and those olive oil stains were never, ever going to come out.

All in one shower wash for body and laundry and a grade 1 buzzcut works for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One Dr. Bronners bar for all. Tried the Lush shampoo bar on one Camino and it seemed to get mushy and fall apart much quicker than Bronners soap.

Never had an issue finding a sink to wash in. Why carry an extra wash bag?

Do try your soap at home first.

Didn't worry too much about my hair as I was usually wearing a hat.

I did upgrade my travel towel from tiny to medium. I was always envious of those who could wrap themselves up while I patted down with a tiny "tea towel". ;)

I took 2 bars of antibacterial soap, ( frances 38 days) it did my body, hair and clothes, i did wash all my clothes in a washing machine (bliss) about 6 times, i just wrapped a bed sheet like a toga and waited for it all to wash and dry, all thought of facial scrubs, anti-wrinkle eye creams, hair products etc all went out the window, i did take them and lots more things which were dumped with excess clothing ( about 6 kilo in total )in roncesvalles. This time i'm better prepared with the very basics in a 28ltr pack.

all thought of facial scrubs, anti-wrinkle eye creams, hair products etc all went out the window, i did take them and lots more things which were dumped with excess clothing ( about 6 kilo in total )in roncesvalles. This time i'm better prepared with the very basics in a 28ltr pack.

Welcome Barrilad,

You made me smile this morning with you mea culpa about the scrubs, facials and hair products you sent out of the window on day 1. It takes a brave woman to admit such things :p.

Honestly, I think we should have a thread about all the useless items we brought and dumped along the way; I'm sure everyone would recognise at least one item on those lists, if not many, many, more, and we'd all have a good laugh reading through.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I used Dr. Bronners. It worked out well. I read a tip to store bar soap in a ziplock sandwich bag. Apparently the heftier plastic bags don't let in as much air so the soap never dries out and get mushy. At least that's what the author claimed. All I can say is that the ziplock sandwich bag worked perfectly for me.

You'll probably all laugh but my sister and I did some pre-camino experiments dehydrating shampoo. [I have osteoporosis in my spine so IMO every gram counts.] And guess what? It worked a treat. We reduced the shampoo by more than 50% to a gel like consistency. A small pea sized blob of dehydrated shampoo in the palm of your hand moistened with a bit of water and voila...enough shampoo for lots of suds. When the first batch ran out along the Way we dehydrated some more in a cup in front of a heater.

@linkster Thanks for the feedback on the Scrubba. I'll have to check my pack weight and test it out.

I purchased a scruba bag hoping to take it with on Camino. But the quality control on the bag I got maybe should not have passed :( both replacements leaked and the airvalve popped out.

I'm now just going to use a standard dry bag.

@HedaP I love your idea of dehydrating shampoo - no point in carrying water. How did you do it? Seems like a really good idea to me. I used to use LustreCream before they discontinued it, because it was a cream shampoo.

@HedaP I love your idea of dehydrating shampoo - no point in carrying water. How did you do it? Seems like a really good idea to me. I used to use LustreCream before they discontinued it, because it was a cream shampoo.
If it's our Aussie summer just dry it in a shallow bowl on a sunny window sill. A low oven with door chinked open will do same. As will putting the bowl over or in front of a heater. It's surprisingly easy. Just dry the shampoo until it reaches the consistency that you want.
We dehydrated toothpaste as well and that works too. But I've since got and tested some recipes for homemade toothpowder that I'll be taking next time. The test included using the toothpowder for 3 months before having a regular dental check up. The dentist that I've been seeing every 6 months for years and years, noticed nothing different. :)

You can tell from my gravatar that I do not have complications with shampoo. I prefer liquid soap over bar soap because the bar soap is a hassle to keep dry and pack. The liquid is easily packed and accessible for washing hands etc. I have used Sea to Summit Citronella Wilderness Wash for years with good success. I am not sure if the citronella really works to deter bugs as stated, but smells good. The bottle that the soap comes in is a sturdy Naglene like bottle. It has a solid screw top to prevent spills. It has a small flat squirt insert in the top of the bottle that helps meter usage of the soap and is easily removed for refilling. This is all personal preference, but you may consider repacking your liquid soap or shampoo in a similar bottle (hotel shampoo bottle with a screw top not a flip top).
I was just at REI and picked up the sea to summit green tea body wash (Citonella gives me headaches). It came in a 3 ounce super concentrate, so should last me the whole Camino. I also picked up a pack of 50 laundry leafs (also Sea to Summit), but none of the staff had used them so give me a review. Have you used these? I figured for $5 and weighing less than 1/2 ounce, I could just donate them if it came to it. It's morning like they'll take up any space in my bag, as the pack is smaller than a pack of gum.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
I found the leafs stuck together and became one gooey mess. Laundry soap is cheap and plentiful along the path. You can buy a bar and cut it up and share it out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
+1 with @Kanga the leaves seem like a cool idea but wet hands quickly made a mess of the leaves.
Yes, so I've heard from another member on here. The instructions do say to take the leaves out with dry hands as well, but I may just leave them at home for backpacking trips and use my body wash for days I don't have access to washing machines and laundry soap. Thanks so much!

I took a small bottle of leave in conditioner.... Mine was L'Oreal but there are a few different ones... just 50cl in size so very light.

I tried it before I left for a few months and now I use it every day. I have shoulder length fine fly-away hair that turned to straw on my first camino. I learned that half a bottle would last me for the whole journey... I only used a tiny amount each day... it's so small and light and perfect for my hair... I loved this solution!

If you have time, try out a few different options at home before you go... Lush shampoo bar (in it's own tin) and this little bottle of conditioner was a great solution for me :)

I"m taking notes...a leave in plus a bar, and only half the bottle full...that might work for me. Thanks!

I used dry shampoo made by LUSH and loved it. It comes in a small round cake which comes in a small tin container about 2 inches in diameter. The shampoo is made with fresh natural ingredients. I used it for shampoo and also soap and laundry hand washing. It was perfect.When I wasn't walking I simply stood it up in the tin container to dry. While walking just closed the tin and didn't worry about it. I would definitely use it again. There are tons of places in Europe that sell Lush products. Fewer in this country. Check on-line to see where you can get it. Also, there are many different dry shampoos for different hair types.

You used dry shampoo the whole time? I have a Lush store at my mall within driving distance and I've got a bit of time to test things out....How much did the container with the dry shampoo weigh?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
A reminder that there are stores in Spain you can buy more supplies. For hubby and I we started with a bar of hotel sized soap in a zip lock bag and a hotel sized shampoo bottle. No specific brand. We washed selves and clothes with these. When they ran out we went to the store and bought soap and shampoo. I refilled the little bottle and left the big bottle at the albergue for others. We found the cheapest soap on the CF comes only in a 3 pack. We always left two for others in the donation bin.

My biggest toiletry issue was deodorant. Could usually only find the roll on kind on the CF. Some things just have to be tolerated but I still have a half bottle of roll on stuff now 9 months later in my cupboard.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You used dry shampoo the whole time? I have a Lush store at my mall within driving distance and I've got a bit of time to test things out....How much did the container with the dry shampoo weigh?
I did not actually weigh the dry shampoo/container. But they didn't weigh much. My whole pack and all my stuff was only 13.5 pounds so they couldn't have added too much. I did use the round tin that comes with the soap and both were about 2" or a little less in diameter. I used the soap for everything and it was great.

RE deodorant: have any of ýou heard of or used 'No Pong'? I now use it for the last 2 years, it is a paste and comes in a very small tin. All natural too. And they now have a sensitive version, though I cannot vouch for taht one. This stuff is so good even my sons use it! (And only smell, okay stink!, after a long run) Another brand is Black Chicken, but the tub is bigger and I didn't find it as good. You can purchase online at
https://www.nopong.com/products/
I realise this is an old thread, but might still be useful for someone :)

I used Dove for sensitive skin the whole way, because it is readily available in France/Spain and I enjoy silky soft skin. I'm worth it, darnit.

As for hair care, never underestimate the ease that shaving your head brings to life. I did it years ago and never looked back. Of course, that was after God took 50% of my hair away for unknown reasons...

I used Dove for sensitive skin the whole way, because it is readily available in France/Spain and I enjoy silky soft skin. I'm worth it, darnit.

As for hair care, never underestimate the ease that shaving your head brings to life. I did it years ago and never looked back. Of course, that was after God took 50% of my hair away for unknown reasons...

My hairdresser told me using Dove on my hair would help it grow back again in the post=menopausal fall out stages! So I'm using it.

Regarding tangles, "in the old days" we put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and worked it through our hair. Quickly rinse. Took out the last bit of soap and long hair was tangle free and soft and shiny. The vinegar smell dissipates within a few minutes.

Dove is saponified with lye, like all soap is, and so is damaging to hair. The cider vinegar helps a bit to balance that, but won't remedy it. And do you want to carry vinegar with you on the Camino? No hair product "helps hair grow back again in the post-menopausal fall out stages." That's a hormone issue, not a scalp issue.

I have no problem with soap for the body. When making soap (which, by definition is made with lye) you can change the kinds of oils you use and decide how much of the oil should be left over after the lye/saponification process to make a bar of soap that is more cleansing or more moisturizing, more sudsy or long-lasting or works best with your skin. What you can't do is lower the pH enough to be used on hair. If you have very short hair or don't worry about frying your hair or dealing with tangles, then maybe it works for you. It doesn't for most people.

The only solution I have found is solid shampoo and solid conditioner bars. They are made specifically for hair and are not made using the same process as soap. Bars about the size of a golf ball will last you more than a month. I started making my own and, not only are they convenient for travel, they seem to be far superior to any liquid shampoo and conditioner I have ever used. (Some people get shampoo and conditioner bars at Lush, but the Lush version has sodium laurel sulfate in it, which I don't like and their bars get soft and disintegrate too fast, in my experience.)

At this point, I only make shampoo and conditioner bars for myself. I am happy to share links to others who make and sell good shampoo and conditioner bars.

I would love to shave my head before my next hike but my husband keeps begging me not to. Hair is such a hassle.

For body soap I take a small bar that fits inside a round, i.e. cylindrical, plastic pill container with the child-proof catch removed. With the wet bar standing upright, the soap doesn't stick to the round sides, and dries even with the cap on.

About the Scrubba: Earlier this year on the CF, I met 3 different people who had bought one, 1 of them returned it before leaving Canada, other 2 discarded them along the Camino, mainly due to weight but also because it's unnecessary- you always have a laundry or trough/sink somewhere to do your washing. The Scubba was designed more for campers or caravanners, not for folks who carry everything on their backs. Personally, I enjoyed the communal gathering around the laundry trough in the afternoon after a hard day's walk.

About the Scrubba: Earlier this year on the CF, I met 3 different people who had bought one, 1 of them returned it before leaving Canada, other 2 discarded them along the Camino, mainly due to weight but also because it's unnecessary- you always have a laundry or trough/sink somewhere to do your washing. The Scubba was designed more for campers or caravanners, not for folks who carry everything on their backs. Personally, I enjoyed the communal gathering around the laundry trough in the afternoon after a hard day's walk.
I have a 12 liter dry bag that weighs 1.2 ounces that I use like a Scrubba. As I get into the shower I put my clothes in with some warm water and soap, and let them soak while I shower and get dressed. Then I agitate it a bit before rinsing everything out. It gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than washing them in the laundry sink.

€46,-

I used a scrubba! IT was great until my sister tossed it out when she's chucked out both of our packs in Ponferrada after we found they were bed bug infested.

AS for shampoo - I used a Lush shampoo bar (also chucked by my sister) so went to buying minis. I struggled to find conditioner though but I had a mini of that and made it last Until I was able to stock up.

I also had a refillable tube which I would fill with liquid soap anytime the opportunity presented itself - I would've use that for washing.

Buen camino - I'm so envious!
Tara

I used a lush shampoo bar this last hike and it worked out great. When I got out of the shower, I used some toilet paper to dry the shampoo bar, then I put it in a square tin with 2 hair bungees to dry. It dried reasonably quickly and did not disintegrate.Lush Shampoo Bar.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.