• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soap

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hobbes said:
My wife and I have made 7 Camino trips since 2003 and were able to create a perfect soap that works for everything. We even were able to figure out a way to keep it off the shower floor and how to get it to dry quickly. We've made it for others and if you're interested, it can be found on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BettyandBobos?ref=ss_profile

......a well kept secret, like the mesh bag idea too :)
Yes was going to put my soap in its normal container, but drill holes in it to ventilate but this looks the business :!: Well Done.

Brilliant! The mesh bag as an exfoliant is a super idea.
And well done for the initiative you've taken in developing this great product! I'll give it a try!
Best,
lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a great idea. I like the mesh bag and the nylon bag to replace it in will keep your bag clean. Don't have to worry about liquids for TSA inspection and different products for different needs. I'm on board with this Camino friendly idea.

This is a wonderful idea.
I've always taken a shampoo bar on the Camino and it's so much more convenient than carrying liquids. I'm going to PM you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's "ok" Falcon, but I prefer to support small home businesses like Hobbes' :D

Plus, I've had problems with the sissel bags molding, and they're very harsh on my delicate skin :wink:

I like the fact that Hobbes makes his own soap - I know what's in it
and I LOVE Etsy.. it's where I make my entire year's income!

SUPPORT SMALL LOCAL BUSINESS THIS SEASON!

Anniesantiago said:
That's "ok" Falcon, but I prefer to support small home businesses like Hobbes' :D

Plus, I've had problems with the sissel bags molding, and they're very harsh on my delicate skin :wink:

I like the fact that Hobbes makes his own soap - I know what's in it
and I LOVE Etsy.. it's where I make my entire year's income!

SUPPORT SMALL LOCAL BUSINESS THIS SEASON!

well done supporting little people

& sisal rots too

Sorry. Clueless again, I failed to discern that the post was an advertisement. I took it as sharing information on a product that goes back at least a half-century to my days as a Boy Scout, predating, and perhaps inspiring, Soap-on-a-Rope, which in turn inspired Muhammad Ali’s Rope-a-Dope. I have that same cluelessness on books written by Forum members. I don’t know if I am supposed to absorb the information or buy the book. Since I am on my third reading of Priscillian’s book, buying can be a good idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any decent bar of soap should last if it is kept dry which is one of the reasons for the little bag the soap is kept in. (Other reasons are it keeps it off the less than clean shower floor because it can go around your wrist; and it is good for scrubbing). One bar has lasted me the whole Camino for shower, shampoo, and shave (but I don't have much hair).
Hobbes

I tried the soap and it's very nice.
The scent is a bit strong for me, but I'm particularly sensitive.

The only change I'd suggest is to make some fragrance free bars.
Otherwise, it's a great product!

I'd much prefer a bar for hair-washing than a liquid that can spill.
I think one bar would last the entire Camino.
The mesh bags are perfect for hanging on the outside of your pack with a carabiner or safety pin.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just received the soaps and tried the unscented bar. Works really well for shampoo and shaving utilizing the lather sack :) I don't see no problem using them for washing clothes. Oh they smell really nice too :)

I'm interested in this soap for my upcoming camino, but the link takes me to Betty&Bobo's page on Etsy with no mention of soap. Is this soap still available?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I visited just now it said nothing was for sale.

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

Ok, even without the special mesh bag, I am still interested in finding a multi-purpose soap for the camino. I had been planning to take liquid camping soap to use for body, hands, hair and clothing, but, as has been pointed out here, why carry all that water? Will any solid bar soap work as shampoo and for clothing? Or are some better than others? What about for use in a washing machine? Are there little packets of laundry soap for sale at laundromats?

I am packing a Lush shampoo bar to use for everything, plus it smells nice.
I am packing it in a soap mesh zipper bag along with a tiny generic soap bar
for laundry if need be. Will toss if it doesn't suit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I'm not going to claim that these are the 'perfect' Camino soaps as @Hobbes did ;) but, I have made 2 formulations which I sell on Etsy and I consider them to be multi-purpose bars (skin, hair, clothes, dishes). Yet, NOT for teeth, because they taste icky!...

"Meseta" is for Normal to Oily Skin/Hair: https://www.etsy.com/listing/270215264
"Galicia" is for Normal to Dry Skin/Hair: https://www.etsy.com/listing/285339893

I'm also doing these in a 'no added fragrance' formula which I believe I'll release before next week. I made these to help fund my Camino. If you visit my shoppe and order, please tell me your profile name in here and I'll give you a discount. :)

Well, I'm not going to claim that these are the 'perfect' Camino soaps as @Hobbes did ;) but, I have made 2 formulations which I sell on Etsy and I consider them to be multi-purpose bars (skin, hair, clothes, dishes). Yet, NOT for teeth, because they taste icky!...

"Meseta" is for Normal to Oily Skin/Hair: https://www.etsy.com/listing/270215264
"Galicia" is for Normal to Dry Skin/Hair: https://www.etsy.com/listing/285339893

I'm also doing these in a 'no added fragrance' formula which I believe I'll release before next week. I made these to help fund my Camino. If you visit my shoppe and order, please tell me your profile name in here and I'll give you a discount. :)
I just received my bar and I'm trying it out at home. I used it in the shower yesterday on both body and hair - so far, so good!

LOL...NOW I know 'who' you are @trecile! I'm so happy you like it. I'm working on another version today, with no added fragrance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back