• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soap

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).
I saw a suggestion on YouTube and thought that some of you might want to try.

This approach is a lot lighter than carrying a bottle of shower gel, more convenient and less messy than a soap holder with a bar of soap, and it works - tried it out this morning and a single sheet was more than enough for this guys body.

Steps:
1/ Paper towel, maybe ribbed so it can 'grab' more gel.

2/ Spread the gel all over the paper.

3/ Leave the paper to dry completely.

4/ Cut each sheet into 4.

5/ Insert in a sealable plastic bag.

6/ Use one each time you need a shower.

7/ Maybe add a few extra in case you stay longer on the Camino than you expect or need to use more than one per shower.

8/ Stay safe, stay clean. :)

PS The three sheets in the last pic are from my first try and that's why the soap isn't spread too well and there are only 3 because I used one for a test run.

Attachments

• IMAG1003.jpg
    IMAG1003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMAG1004.jpg
    IMAG1004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMAG1005.jpg
    IMAG1005.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

This approach is a lot lighter than carrying a bottle of shower gel, more convenient and less messy than a soap holder with a bar of soap, and it works - tried it out this morning and a single sheet was more than enough for this guys body.

Steps:

7/ Maybe add a few extra in case you stay longer on the Camino than you expect or need to use more than one per shower.

PS The three sheets in the last pic are from my first try and that's why the soap isn't spread too well and there are only 3 because I used one for a test run.
Thanks Lance, this could be useful in camping, carvaning holidays too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Steps:

I've used this idea for camping with my kids when they were little...if you wet the paper towel with a spray bottle before applying the soapy gel, it spreads better. I place in the sun and it dries quite well. I've found these are single use only and for that reason, where I shower daily, and do long treks, it would not be an option for me to carry 30 +sheets...lol But it is an old Girl Scout Camping trick and it may work for others! Good share.

Years ago, in a fit of frugality, I made a nylon "dotted swiss" soap bag (4 by 5 inches, with a drawstring closure), so I could use the bits of leftover soap which had become too small for the soap dish. The nubby texture of the cloth works as a gentle scrubber, and the lather can also be used for hand washing clothing. I use it in the shower and plan to take it on the Camino! It dries quickly and weighs about an ounce, including soap.

Years ago, in a fit of frugality, I made a nylon "dotted swiss" soap bag (4 by 5 inches, with a drawstring closure), so I could use the bits of leftover soap which had become too small for the soap dish. The nubby texture of the cloth works as a gentle scrubber, and the lather can also be used for hand washing clothing. I use it in the shower and plan to take it on the Camino! It dries quickly and weighs about an ounce, including soap.
That is actually very close to what I now travel with on camino. I have three small drawstring bags made of soft netting. One for solid shampoo, one for solid conditioner, one for body soap. I do have a lot of allergies and skin sensitivities and cannot use the 'all in one' brands. The little drawstring bags work wonderfully...I hang on my 'S' hook or on shower knobs, keeping things off of the floor. I hang near my bunk to dry which also gives a lovely clean scent to my bunk area...lol I've found these last an entire 60 day journey.

I'm frugal as well and am not one to throw out 1/2 bar of soap. I've found that 'sample' or 'travel sized' bars or bottles of body wash/shampoo are not readily avail in Spain. The tiny villages certainly do not carry options and sometimes it's giant family sized bottles and three packs of soaps...If someone is traveling in a group it can be divided up, but walking alone necessitates leaving this behind with hopes someone would use and not discard. I'm more a fan of packing exactly what I think I'll use.

I like your drawstring pouch and it's scrubber texture...it'll work ! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Steps:

What gel?
That is actually very close to what I now travel with on camino. I have three small drawstring bags made of soft netting. One for solid shampoo, one for solid conditioner, one for body soap. I do have a lot of allergies and skin sensitivities and cannot use the 'all in one' brands. The little drawstring bags work wonderfully...I hang on my 'S' hook or on shower knobs, keeping things off of the floor. I hang near my bunk to dry which also gives a lovely clean scent to my bunk area...lol I've found these last an entire 60 day journey.

I'm frugal as well and am not one to throw out 1/2 bar of soap. I've found that 'sample' or 'travel sized' bars or bottles of body wash/shampoo are not readily avail in Spain. The tiny villages certainly do not carry options and sometimes it's giant family sized bottles and three packs of soaps...If someone is traveling in a group it can be divided up, but walking alone necessitates leaving this behind with hopes someone would use and not discard. I'm more a fan of packing exactly what I think I'll use.

I like your drawstring pouch and it's scrubber texture...it'll work ! :)[/QUOTE
What gel?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Similar to the baby shampoo sheets my sister had to have (SUCH a fuss budget) - how about these ready made?

Paper towel, maybe ribbed so it can 'grab' more gel.

Hi Lance, what happens to the paper towel in the shower? Doesn't it go all mushy and then clog up the shower outlet? (Sorry if I'm missing something here!)
Jill

Hi Lance, that is a great tip.
Don't want to waylay your thread, but it reminded me of a tip that I put on some years ago and some newcomers may not have see.
If you have to take pills or creams on your camino, the old film canisters are ideal containers.
Any shop where they do photographic work will willingly give you some.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lance, what happens to the paper towel in the shower? Doesn't it go all mushy and then clog up the shower outlet? (Sorry if I'm missing something here!)
Jill

I throw the used paper soap sheet into a trash can and certainly not down the shower plug hole.

Similar to the baby shampoo sheets my sister had to have (SUCH a fuss budget) - how about these ready made?

Mine cost about 3 cents each to make I'm guessing and I have 68 of them as I'm off to walk Hadrian's Wall and the Thames once I've finished the Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back