• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock configuration with sneakers (running shoes/trainers)

jayandar

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has completed a Camino using running shoes/sneakers/trainers--- specifically about the “sock configuration” that worked well for you.

After spending quite a few hours on these boards acquiring much useful info about footwear I have opted to use sneakers/running shoes/trainers (something from Asics or New Balance most likely) although I realize there are potential drawbacks.

My main reasons for my choice: 1) what I read on here 2) I run 3-4 times per week and I really prefer these type shoes for just cruising about my daily life in general 3) my feet get hot and sweaty in most scenarios 4) I used some worn-in Salomon walking/hiking shoes on a couple of 6 mile training walks during the last week that did not go great (not a disaster, but I don’t see 500 miles in these type shoes going well for me).

Did you sneaker wearers use one pair of regular running socks (mostly cotton with a bit of wicking material) on your Camino? How about the possibility of going with some type of real thin liner sock that has super wicking tech along with a thick hiking (wool?) outer sock? Seems odd in conjunction with sneakers- not sure???

Hoping to start the Camino Frances in mid-May. Need to get my sock choice sorted before I buy my Camino sneakers.

Sorry for the length of the post/question. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jayandar,

cotton may well be the key to your problem, though you don't say what it was went wrong in 6 miles. Wet cotton will make a major contribution to blistering through friction and softening of the skin. If you are a hot & sweaty foot person then cotton will just trap that moisture against your skin.

Liner socks, silk or "technical" are essential and wool or "technical" outers will help with wicking moisture away from the skin.

The arguments for and against Trainers, hiking boots / shoes and all the variations are rehearsed on numerous threads here as you have seen but the key elements of footwear for a long hike (differing from say a daily run round the park and street wear) are support & protection. Broken-in leather boots with good breathability (Brasher Hillmasters, Hi-tecs, Berghaus, Salomans) have got to have it over fabric/plastic.

I´ve used trainers for two Caminos, both times wearing thin liner wicking socks and thicker wool outer ones. I´ve never had a blister and intend to use the same combination next month for the VdLP.
Sandra :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tinca, my brain agrees with you re: leather boots, but my feet won't have it. They're hot right now as I type this, and I'm only sitting in a rocking chair watching the B52s on tv.

Sans, glad to hear you had success with trainers. Pretty sure I'll try that sock setup also. Need to find the specific brands now. Dumb question- Did you have to buy a larger size shoe than you normally use?

Pieces, I actually tried on a pair of Salomon trail runners the other day. They felt OK, but the sole at the heel seemed narrow and the laces were a concern for me. The laces are so thin and possibly quite difficult to replace if nec. once underway in Spain. They did look great though.

Any other sock success stories out there for anyone who walked in trainers/sneakers?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi.

I'm also a runner and wore my running shoes with running socks -- either the typical lightweight, wicking kind or else Smartwool running socks. Both worked fine. I don't think you need liners at all. In fact, they may cause more problems since there are more layers.

One addition I'd recommend are gaiters to keep out the dirt, stones and other trail debris. You can get good ones at Dirty Girl -- and they're all patterns, not just feminine ones! http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/ They're lightweight and won't take any room.

Re: shoe size, just make sure you can fit your entire thumb in front of your big toe. For many years I was inadvertently wearing shoes a half-size too small; it was never a problem until I started training for marathons (long distance). I kept getting blisters under the nail of my big toe, and it turned out I needed a slightly larger shoe. Since the Camino will be long, just make sure you do have enough room between your big toe and the end of the toe box.

Melanie

Jayandar, yes I did get trainers which were 1 size larger than my usual shoe size. This leaves me enough room for the two pairs of socks and also allows for the normal foot swelling towards the end of the day. I start off with them more tightly laced and loosen them as the day goes on.
Sandra :arrow:

Hi
I'm going to be walking from Leon to Santiago in June 2013...I bought a pair of light weight hiking shoes and have been breaking them in, but leave my running shoes in the car to switch into after the practice hikes. My feet always say "Ahhhh...sweet relief" getting into the running shoes...so I was thinking of using them on sections where there's a lot of/mostly pavement...I think my first day coming out of Leon is mostly pavement...anyway, what's your opinion? On rocky terrain, I think using something with a tougher sole might be better, but for pavement walking...? I've been reading in the forums but I guess I just want some confirmation that this is an ok idea! :roll:
(I had such a hard time finding a comfortable hiking shoe...I have a very wide toe box and had to go up a size and a half for width comfort w/ socks, but there's just so much room above the toes that I slide around, even with liner and wool socks...)...
thanks for any advice...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I swear by New Balance trainers on a SL-2 shoe last because it has a deep toe box

I tell newbies to wear liners and smartwool socks. But over the years I find myself just wearing a pair of Wright Coolmesh socks or just Coolmesh socks. My NB trainers fit so well there is no need to double up on socks. My only blister is on my small toe on the bottom because it lays under the toe next to it. But I've learned to wrap it from the start and so no blisters at all!

Try NB trainers and you will never go back

I buy them 1.5 sizes too large and put a Motion Control insert into them for extra support and cushioning.

Do you think you can get away with trainers if you are just doing 10 days of walking?? And will you still need liners and wool socks as opposed to running socks? I love my trainers that I had got specifically for running, and wore them for a few days at work (where I be on my feet for 13hours a day) and found I had no joint or back pain. Would I have to go up a size for the camino or would my good old asics do me for my camino?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Do you think you can get away with trainers if you are just doing 10 days of walking?? And will you still need liners and wool socks as opposed to running socks? I love my trainers that I had got specifically for running, and wore them for a few days at work (where I be on my feet for 13hours a day) and found I had no joint or back pain. Would I have to go up a size for the camino or would my good old asics do me for my camino?

Everyone's footwear needs are different, but I would say for just 10 days of walking a pair of running shoes with just a pair of running socks will be adequate. I now have a pair of Asics Gel Kahanas, and I think they would have easily done the whole Camino.
I did the entire Camino Frances with a pair of Merrell trail shoes and New Balance running socks (ultra-thin). No blisters (the liberal application of Vaseline on my feet every morning helped).
My feet did swell a bit as I walked, but not drastically. If those shoes feel fine after working in them for a 13 hour shift, they should feel fine after walking in them for 7-9 hours a day on the Camino.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yes. I've done SJPDP to Santiago all the way twice in my Asics trainers, the 800km Le Puy twice in trainers, and most of the Arles route in trainers. I regretted wearing specially selected leather walking shoes on the most recent walk from Orléans. I wear liners as socks or normal cool max socks in summer, Thorlos in spring and autumn. I go up at least one size, or buy the wider men's fitting. As you are only walking 10 days you will probably be right in your normal ones.

The Asics last me about 1000 km. The first bit to go is usually the mesh upper, but you can also start to see tiny crease marks in the sides of the soles by then, suggesting they have lost some cushioning. Check your current Asics to make sure there are no side creases - if so you have an excuse to buy new ones. But be warned, the downside of walking them on a Camino is they get filthy (so do your socks). Mud and dust washes off but they never look the same again!

Hope this is useful.

Thanks so much Kanga! My runners don't have any creases yet so I think I will just go with those and get some new socks :) as for the dirt, that will just be the physical effect of the camino my little trainers will be proud to wear!

Hi
I'm going to be walking from Leon to Santiago in June 2013...I bought a pair of light weight hiking shoes and have been breaking them in, but leave my running shoes in the car to switch into after the practice hikes. My feet always say "Ahhhh...sweet relief" getting into the running shoes...so I was thinking of using them on sections where there's a lot of/mostly pavement...I think my first day coming out of Leon is mostly pavement...anyway, what's your opinion? On rocky terrain, I think using something with a tougher sole might be better, but for pavement walking...? I've been reading in the forums but I guess I just want some confirmation that this is an ok idea! :roll:
(I had such a hard time finding a comfortable hiking shoe...I have a very wide toe box and had to go up a size and a half for width comfort w/ socks, but there's just so much room above the toes that I slide around, even with liner and wool socks...)...
thanks for any advice...

Kirsten, I'd stick with the shoes you know are comfortable - your running shoes. Which will be fine on all the surfaces you will come across. Shoes that are cushioned to pound on hard pavements will cope very well on dirt paths, scree and pebbles. Some people think that boots provide ankle support, I think trekking sticks are much more likely to prevent ankle injury.

Unless a person has specific problems or issues trainers on the Camino are just fine. Which is not to say a person who wants to wear boots is wrong, it's just a matter of comfort, preference and what floats your boat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.