• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock cushion level and height when wearing shoes

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
I would like to avoid the shoe versus boot debate as there are many great opinions here. I have decided to go with the Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe since I think that best works for me for a number of reasons. My next decision is socks. Smartwool are easily available in stores nearby.

My questions are:
I light or medium cushion might be better?
Is there and advantage to ankle high verses calf since I am wearing shoes?

I am use to cross country running, so do the ankle socks. I would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What time of the year are you going and which camino? Heat plays a part in this decision IMO. Nothing worse than getting a prickly heat rash around your ankles.

I start on September 4th of 2015 on the Frances starting from Saint Jean

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What time of the year are you going and which camino? Heat plays a part in this decision IMO. Nothing worse than getting a prickly heat rash around your ankles.
Light and synthetic, for over night drying. Preferably with no hems.

@WldWil I'd be taking three pairs of thin socks at that time of year - you can always wear two pairs if you need more cushioning. It can still be hot in September. They also dry faster. No advantage to calf length socks that I can see - I'd opt for ankle ones.

Keep in mind that each of us here are expressing our own personal preferences and personal experience.
They will not always agree but each is correct for the person posting.

I would suggest buying a pair of each length and wear them with your new Merrell shoes. Try each a few times and see what feels best for you.

Remember that the socks are probably the most important part of the anti-blister defense. I personally wear thin liners with all socks and weights.
I don't get blisters with liners.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The liner thing is a whole question to what thin is considered thin? is it like nylons then we're just a thinner regular sock?

I got used to be ankle socks running but did not know if it would be different for hiking.

That's the same exact shoe model I wore when I walked my first Camino (summer). I wore New Balance, synthetic mini-crew running socks with them. The thinnest, lightest sock I could find, and got them in black so they didn't show dirt so much, ha ha. Anyway, no blister issues with them, and they were easy to wash and dried quickly.
By the way, that's a very rugged shoe. Almost no wear and tear on them from walking the Camino and the sole looks like it could easily do a couple more.
133.JPG

#Mark Lee - great news. So far they feel great. I have them a 1/2 size larger. I am tempted to get a second back up pair. I spent so much time researching socks and hoping to find the best combo for me. I am also planning on the body glide for feet.

Looking for spring when I get to test out on the trails.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use a variety of weights and both wool blend and all synthetic in training. For my recent long pilgrimage walks (both in early spring) I have used a mid weight synthetic with a synthetic liner sock.

My only thought on length is that I wore gaiters when it got wet and muddy, and a conventional length sock still has enough to tuck in the bottoms of one's trouser legs when wearing boots. If you are not planning on wearing trousers in summer, that won't be an issue for you.

Keep in mind that each of us here are expressing our own personal preferences and personal experience.
They will not always agree but each is correct for the person posting.

I would suggest buying a pair of each length and wear them with your new Merrell shoes. Try each a few times and see what feels best for you.

Remember that the socks are probably the most important part of the anti-blister defense. I personally wear thin liners with all socks and weights.
I don't get blisters with liners.
Grayland gives good advice on all counts. If you're not leaving until September 2015, you've got plenty of time to field-test all sorts of combinations of socks and liners and not just rely on what works for other people. I highly recommend liners + BodyGlide or Gold Bond Friction Defense. If you walk enough between now and your departure, you may find that you'll need to to go another half-size larger on the boot or shoe because your if you train as much as you should, your foot will grow that first half-size before you leave for Spain (mine did). Also, seriously consider getting third-party insoles for your Merrells; the standard Merrell insoles are not made to stand up to the rigors of walking 15-20 miles a day for 500 miles and don't really give very good arch support. Superfeet and Soles are good brands to check out for starters. They both make several variations, so get the one that fits your foot and the rise of your arch -- the advice of a good outdoors footwear fitter is invaluable here. If you have an REI nearby, take advantage of their expertise (and their return policy).
Buen Camino,
Jim

I use thin liners from REI. They have a house brand called "silk one"...no silk but thin and easy to use. When wearing ankle length socks I just cut the tops off the lines and let them curl down. Looks kind of cool and experienced.
Most liners are white and soon become dingy gray.
If you use Smart Wool or REI Merino wool socks and liners you should not have to wash the wool socks every night if it is not hot and sweaty or wet and muddy. Just wash the liners every night. They dry very quickly.
I use Body Glide every day. Others have different products for favorites.

I used Superfeet (green) insoles for 4 Caminos and was happy. Then a foot doctor showed me on the insoles (where it was clean) that my foot was not touching everywhere. He liked the Superfeet...but recommended that I give the Sole brand a try. I bought the Red model.
They are different in that you put them in the oven and heat them up...then put them in the shoes and stand on them for a couple of minutes. They mold right to your feet. I am pretty impressed with them and used them this year on the Camino de Norte.

I actually think the feet are much more important than the pack (which is important). You can get rid of stuff in the pack or ship it ahead.
If you screw up your feet...you are stuck with them until they heal or you finish walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My next decision is socks. Smartwool are easily available in stores nearby.
........My questions are:
Is there and advantage to ankle high verses calf since I am wearing shoes?........
Thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill,
As grayland has pointed out - we can only give you our opinions and experience. My feet (4000 or so km on caminos with no blisters) insist on a non-synthetic fibre so I usually go with either light wool, cotton (which most people say is wrong, wrong, wrong) or a combination of one of those and silk. Anything more than a small percentage of synthetic (7 or 8%) makes my feet burn. I learned that the hard way.
So I'm definitely not saying this is what's right for you. Just saying try a few options and see what gives you happy feet.

Love my Moab Ventilators!! They took me from frigid cold to sweltering heat comfortably in May.
I wore sock liners under my "trekking" socks." Looking back, there is little difference between sock liners and the very thin, very cheap "trouser socks" you can get in the grocery store (think a pair of "L'Eggs"). I've been trying those while walking for several months now because I'm starting to plan for my next Camino.
I'm glad you're focusing on socks which are, IMHO, the second most important piece of equipment, after boots and before poles.
Buen Camino.
By the way, I wore a men's Moabs on my lady's feet and they fit like a glove.

...Looking back, there is little difference between sock liners and the very thin, very cheap "trouser socks" you can get in the grocery store (think a pair of "L'Eggs"). I've been trying those while walking for several months now because I'm starting to plan for my next Camino...
Kathy,
Believe it or not, that's what I wore for liners on my Camino. Or rather, very close, just another brand. I tried several types of conventional sock liners while training and never was pleased. Then I read an article somewhere about the U.S, Marines wearing them as liners with their desert boots, so I figured if the Marines could wear them, so could I. They worked great, but being so thin and lightweight, they don't last very long so take two or three extra pair with you. By the way, my boots were Merrell Moab waterproof ankle highs, but if I do it again, I'll wear Merrell Moab ventilator low tops unless I happen to go during the rainy season. I wear the low tops for practically all my hikes now.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jim, I wish I had been as informed as you before my CF, I could have saved myself some cash! :rolleyes:
I loved my mid-highs so much that, after my Camino, I also bought a pair of Moab Ventilator low tops to wear here at home. Love them. But I think I'm going to go with the mid-highs on the next CF - they work better in deep mud.

QUOTE="jmcarp, post: 259862, member: 19617"]Kathy,
Believe it or not, that's what I wore for liners on my Camino. Or rather, very close, just another brand. I tried several types of conventional sock liners while training and never was pleased. Then I read an article somewhere about the U.S, Marines wearing them as liners with their desert boots, so I figured if the Marines could wear them, so could I. They worked great, but being so thin and lightweight, they don't last very long so take two or three extra pair with you. By the way, my boots were Merrell Moab waterproof ankle highs, but if I do it again, I'll wear Merrell Moab ventilator low tops unless I happen to go during the rainy season. I wear the low tops for practically all my hikes now.
Buen Camino,
Jim[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Thanks for the tip Kathy.

#jimcarp what brand did you use? I rather not explain to the kids why I am looking at nylons. Although they would find it funny.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Thanks for the tip Kathy.

#jimcarp what brand did you use? I rather not explain to the kids why I am looking at nylons. Although they would find it funny.
We bought a whole box of them since my wife uses them away from the Camino, and we still have a few left. I checked the box and they actually are L'eggs brand (in spite of what I said in an earlier post). They're called "ankle highs". As I recall, we bought them either at Target or Walmart.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would like to avoid the shoe versus boot debate as there are many great opinions here. I have decided to go with the Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe since I think that best works for me for a number of reasons. My next decision is socks. Smartwool are easily available in stores nearby.

My questions are:
Is there and advantage to ankle high verses calf since I am wearing shoes?

I am use to cross country running, so do the ankle socks. I would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Bill
I wore the Merrells and they were really comfortable for the whole 500miles. I did not wear inner socks but good quality cotton ankle socks ( north face) which I changed twice a day. I did use foot oil (from Cotswolds) which I rubber on each morning. I was fortunate to stay clear of blisters. On very warm days rested the shoes and wore Merrell sandals with socks

I wore Keen Verdi II mids as my boots and Wrightsock anklets as my socks. (Sept/Oct camino) I think they are called 3/4 height and they stick out maybe 1/2" above the tops of my boots and my ankle bone. No cushioning. No cushioning in the boots either and I replaced the Keen insoles with Superfeet Greens. I was very very comfortable. YMMV though!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.