• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sock liner recommendations?

WandererJolie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (July, 2015)
Hi all,
I'm getting blisters between my toes, and would like to try sock liners to see if they help.
I just tried to order sock liners from Injinji, but they don't ship to Canada! :(
Can anyone recommend similar toe-sock liners?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The alternative for you to think about is to tape up your toes individually with Micropore(tm) or similar paper based tape, or a sports strapping tape. My preference is to wrap a single layer of tape around the toe (a little difficult for the smaller toes, but it is possible) but I have also seen the tape applied longitudinally and any excess trimmed away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On Camino I have met two lovely old ladies from Australia 74and75 years old. They recomended wrapping around toes raw wool. It was their 3rd Camino and they were using all kind of " remedies ". They even gave me a " chunk ". It looks like a tipe of wool you might find in some craft store . Like for felting? Super light! I didn't have any blisters or any problems at all, so I can't tell how or if it works. You can try. Who knows?

@Stephen Nicholls solved his blister problem with panty liners. The liner absorbs moisture and also provides some padding but I still haven't quite worked out how it works - Stephen, does the length of the liner go at right angles to the length of the foot and wrap around the foot? Or does the length align with the length? I don't get blisters on my toes but my husband does and I'd like some new strategies before next year's walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found that Mountain Equipment Co-op ships Injinji socks, so I'm trying those right now, playing with thicknesses of socks. But there is a wool store not far from me- might be worth a visit! Thanks Skurat0!

I found that Mountain Equipment Co-op ships Injinji socks, so I'm trying those right now, playing with thicknesses of socks. But there is a wool store not far from me- might be worth a visit! Thanks Skurat0!
If this does not work - PM me your details and I will send you a pair from Oz - free (Christmas present). I have been using these "toe socks" for about 2 years - no blisters and I am also a strong believer in the two-sock theory - thin liner socks against your feet and thick ones against the boots.

As for the blisters - how tight are your boots/walking shoes? and how tightly fitting are your socks? Snug is about is tight as you need (imho) - the purpose of the two sock theory is to reduce friction, but if you are getting blisters then there is moisture build up and its not getting out of your boots. I know its a pain, but maybe every 5-7 km (90 mins) stop - take your boots and the outer pair of socks off, whilst you have a drink, look at the scenery, rest. This should allow the socks to breath and dry out - and also allow your feet to cool down. Buen Camino.

During my training for the Camino I spent a lot of time and miles evaluating different types and combinations of socks and sock liners. I ended up with a) first liberally applying Gold Bond "Friction Defense" http://www.goldbond.com/friction-defense.html to my feet; b) using a pair of my wife's ankle high nylon hose as a liner (get over it, you macho dudes, it works); c) wearing a pair of medium-weight merino wool socks over the liners. I never had a single blister during the entire Camino Francés. I did have a hot spot on one of my second toes one day, but a small piece of duct tape took care of that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for all of the replies (and your kind offer, St. Mike!). I've been doing very well with the 2-socks/foot, and love my injinjis! No blisters since I started using them! :)

The four of us in my family used Injinjis during our two weeks on the trail in 2013. The socks, plus rubbing a light coating of Vicks Vapor Rub and Petroleum Jelly onto our feet, and in between our toes, after our shower in the evening, helped us all to stay blister free. Has anyone else tried this combination? A bonus point is that your feet also smell great.

The four of us in my family used Injinjis during our two weeks on the trail in 2013. The socks, plus rubbing a light coating of Vicks Vapor Rub and Petroleum Jelly onto our feet, and in between our toes, after our shower in the evening, helped us all to stay blister free. Has anyone else tried this combination? A bonus point is that your feet also smell great.
I use Vicks Vapour Rub or vaseline, or St-John's Wort oil, but do not like liners. First, I do not like wearing socks at all, even at home when outside temps are 20 below, so the thiner the layer I can wear on my feet the better. But more importantly, the one time I did wear liners they kept bunching up on the bottom of the foot and I constantly had to remove my boots, pull up the liner ... So now no more liners, and actually no more boots. Walking in sandals, weather permitting, was my preference, that is until I started to need orthodics.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use Vicks Vapour Rub or vaseline, or St-John's Wort oil, but do not like liners. First, I do not like wearing socks at all, even at home when outside temps are 20 below, so the thiner the layer I can wear on my feet the better. But more importantly, the one time I did wear liners they kept bunching up on the bottom of the foot and I constantly had to remove my boots, pull up the liner ... So now no more liners, and actually no more boots. Walking in sandals, weather permitting, was my preference, that is until I started to need orthodics.
How does the Vaseline prevent blisters? Does it keep your toes from rubbing against each other?

Hi all,
I'm getting blisters between my toes, and would like to try sock liners to see if they help.
I just tried to order sock liners from Injinji, but they don't ship to Canada! :(
Can anyone recommend similar toe-sock liners?
Get rid of your conventional socks and wear toe socks made by INJINJI via ebay i am sure someone will post for you if you ask them

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.