• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock Liners. Yes or No

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
I have been reading various threads on sock liners.
I will be leaving St Jean on 29th May. I have 3 pairs of good merino wool short socks and will be using Columbia walking shoes. I also have anti chafing stick for the day and some massaging cream for the end of the day. Do I need sock liners as well,such as the Injini liner crew toesocks? So many to choose from.
Thanks in advance
Eric

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Liner socks are just one part of a blister prevention regime. How many elements you choose to use is up to you, but I think many experienced walkers will have a combination. There are plenty of discussions about what combination, but my own approach is:
  1. taping toes and other areas where blisters have formed before
  2. liner socks
  3. a light dusting of foot powder in the liner socks
Do you need liner socks? Nothing is obligatory, but you appear to have time to trial some options before you leave to see what you are comfortable with.

ps - if you use the search function, you will find plenty of good discussion about what has worked for other individuals, as well as pointers to good external resources. The results will be hard to synthesise. There has been a recent attempt at a poll - I don't think popularity polls are particularly useful, but you might get something from the associated discussion.

Equipment questions like yours is why spending a good amount of time training is vital. While liner socks may work for me, they may not work for you. I am not being dismissive or flippant of your question, it really is totally dependent on your body mechanics.

Get a cheap pair of merino liner socks(if you arent allergic) and take a couple of good training hikes. Decide after that.

I use Smartwool ultra light weight running socks as liners under my heavier merino hiking socks(cheap random brand off Aamazon). Last camino I did 100+ training miles and then 540 actually camino miles with no blisters at all.

"Your Camino May Vary"

M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is of course all about personal experience. For me on two hot caminos (as you will likely experience starting at the end of May) talc and sock liners were a disaster leading to sweaty, overheated feet and the talc turning into a sort of grinding paste leading to blisters worse than pretty much any bad blister picture I've seen. Conversely when using just light synthetic cycling socks and a thin covering of vaseline applied in the morning and at luchtime along with a sock change I had zero blisters.

Purely anecdotal hopefully of some help.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

I used no seam ankle length nylon stockings. They are readily available in department stores at the hosiery section and are light, cheap and take up zero space. I brought ten pairs with me and just tossed them when they started to run. At first, I wore two pairs and merino socks on top. After the first few days, my feet were too swollen to wear socks. So I wore three pairs of nylon, no socks at all. My camino was blister-free. But everyone's feet are different. You might want to try things out first.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have two views. I never used sock liners when I walked then I started. My experience has been.

1) If you're using trail shoes, sock liners have kept the blisters away (using the same approach that dougfitz talked about before)
2) If I've walked in boots (non-Camino), I've found that sock liners increase my blister odds if the day is hot (in retrospect that makes sense), but on cooler days it seemed to also help
3) No sock liners (in my case) = blisters.

The other two parts of my blister regime that have helped on about 1000 miles of Caminos so far is the stop and rub your feet with socks off every couple of hours and take a second pair of socks on hot days to switch off mid-day.

As others have said, unfortunately, you only know if it works if you try it and sometimes you only have one shot.

Best of luck.

Yes, use liner socks. I’ve used them on 2 Caminos and have had great comfort and only one blister. REI has a mostly silk and poly liner that works very well and keeps my feet dry and very comfortable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only sure way to know what to wear on one's feet whilst they walk 15-30 km's a day, over varied terrain and elevations is to get what seems to work well on their feet and go out and test/train walk a minimum of 5-10 km's wearing it.
On the Camino you will see the entire gambit of footwear on pilgrims. Anything from sock-less wearing inexpensive rubber sandals to others wearing boots that would make a Himalayan mountaineer proud. From what I have observed they all make it to Santiago alive. :D

It is of course all about personal experience. For me on two hot caminos (as you will likely experience starting at the end of May) talc and sock liners were a disaster leading to sweaty, overheated feet and the talc turning into a sort of grinding paste leading to blisters worse than pretty much any bad blister picture I've seen. Conversely when using just light synthetic cycling socks and a thin covering of vaseline applied in the morning and at luchtime along with a sock change I had zero blisters.

Purely anecdotal hopefully of some help.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
I hiked the entire CF using the same arrangement as Dorpie with zero blisters Sept-Oct 2016. A very thin vaseline layer, poly sock liners, and poly or wool socks, although I didn't change socks mid-day. I'd also suggest substantial training and broken in, well-fitted shoes. I avoided waterproof or Gore-Tex shoes for better breath-ability and was very fortunate to have almost no rain exposure over 39 days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cheap, nylon, knee-high hose with wool socks. Both turned inside out.
3 Caminos, no blisters. I walk for a living as a tour guide and this is my combination most days of the year. You can even get compression hosiery.
Even when my boots got soaking wet, (yeah, I fell in a creek) I still didn't get a blister and I continued walking for another 5 hours, basically with boots that had been full of water.

Yes, silk liners as part of my prevention. Along with Bag Balm rubs morning and evening, thick wool hiking socks, breaks on days when feet very wet (sometimes changing the double socks).
Solution different for everyone so train/practice with same as how you intend to walk.
IMO blisters come from some combination of moisture, friction, and heat--so however you deal with these will make for happy Camino feet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used liner socks with shoes (not boots) and had horrible blisters. Everyones' feet are different. Whether I would have had a different experience with only 1 pair of socks...who knows?

I’ve brought them with me but the one day I did a solid test of them I ended up with a bruised second toe. The combination of both socks meant that they pressed on my toe, as if I was walking downhill the whole way. I’ll try again but I may have done liners to donate to the cause...

I will be leaving St Jean on 29th May. I have 3 pairs of good merino wool short socks and will be using Columbia walking shoes. I also have anti chafing stick for the day and some massaging cream for the end of the day. Do I need sock liners as well,such as the Injini liner crew toesocks? So many to choose from.
Thanks in advance
Eric

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Injinji liner toe socks are my choice. I never had a blister.
I bought Injinji socks after first trying conventional liner socks that made my feet feel cramped and uncomfortable. I found online reviews for Injinji toe socks that were really effusive in their praise. My feet are a bit of a mess— a Tailor’s bunion on the side under the little toe and an ordinary bunion on the other side under the big toe. Both seem destined to cause foot problems on my Camino. The Injinji socks seem like a good solution, along with a bit of strategically applied tape. So far, I like them and have been using them in my Camino prep. But I agree, what feet seem to need seems wildly individual in choice. Buen Camino!

Like everyone has said, everyone's feet are different. What worked for me may (and probably won't) work for you. Between now and your departure, I'd suggest trying various combinations of socks and liners on your training hikes to see what works for you.

FWIW, I raided my wife's hosiery drawer and appropriated a few pairs of L'eggs ankle-highs to wear as liners with my medium-weight Smartwool socks. At first, I thought it may be an insult to my manhood, but I got over it :). That combo and an application of Gold Bond Friction Defense (Google it) to my feet each morning resulted in no blisters on three Caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I walked CF in 2016 I wore merino wool liner socks and merino wool socks every day and did not get one blister. That's my plan for Norte starting next week.
Injinji Liner Crew Socks

I suggest walking 20 miles with sock liner and see if they work for you. A great benefit of training *before* the Camino is to try out equipment and see how it works for you.

-Paul

I suggest walking 20 miles with sock liner and see if they work for you. A great benefit of training *before* the Camino is to try out equipment and see how it works for you.

-Paul
HI Paul,
I have previously walked 4 consecutive days with just merino socks, without any liners, an no blisters.
I was trying to avoid the extra expense of sock liners which may not be necessary. What keeps going through my head is 2 sock layers will create sweat, which leads to blisters.
However, I agree, the only way is to try.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@EricBerg I wish you well on your Camino and on finding the right combo for blister prevention.

I always disliked wearing liner socks because I had to stop often to pull up either the liner or the outer sock. However, prior to my last Camino, I discovered WrightSock double-layer socks, which have the hiker or runner sock and liner made together. No more pulling up one or the other. They worked well in training and on Camino and have become my go-to everyday socks. Link is below.

Wrightsock: https://www.wrightsock.com/collections/double-layer-socks

If you prefer to forego a liner sock and prefer something other than Vaseline, you may want to try Foot Glide (by the makers of Body Glide used by many runners to prevent chafing).

Foot Glide: https://www.bodyglide.com/shop/foot/

Thanks in advance
Eric
I would never waLk a Camino without using liner socks and Vaseline. I have done the French route twice as well as the vdlp and aside from one tiny exception have never had a single blister.

I swore by sock liners my first Camino. After I got home and started training for my next I found that I did not need them. My biggest complaint is that sock liners wear out quickly and start feeling uncomfortable, I went through several pairs on the Camino. I don't have that problem with good socks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My favourite (for me) is injinji liners + my hand knit wool socks.
BUT
the shoes I wore that combo with fell apart after 2000km and are not made any longer. I have been unable to find a shoe wide enough to accommodate this combination so now (last four years) I’ve worn just the liners with a variety of Keens sandals. Interestingly, the socks last much longer when two pairs are worn (over 1,500km before getting a hole versus under 300) Incidentally, I darn the holes with standard sewing thread and wear them for many more miles without a problem.

Thanks in advance
Eric
Liner toe socks work for me. Lately I've switched from light-weight liners to mid-weight. Keeps the toes farther apart.

Thanks in advance
Eric
Personally the answer is no. I have never used inner socks in the best part of 60 years of walking, and I find toe socks are a disaster for me. I've never used any kind of anti-chafing cream, vaseline or anything else. It's the usual answer, it's entirely individal. Do enough walking in the shoes and socks you intend to use before you go and test out anything unfamiliar that way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@EricBerg I wish you well on your Camino and on finding the right combo for blister prevention.

I always disliked wearing liner socks because I had to stop often to pull up either the liner or the outer sock. However, prior to my last Camino, I discovered WrightSock double-layer socks, which have the hiker or runner sock and liner made together. No more pulling up one or the other. They worked well in training and on Camino and have become my go-to everyday socks. Link is below.

Wrightsock: https://www.wrightsock.com/collections/double-layer-socks

If you prefer to forego a liner sock and prefer something other than Vaseline, you may want to try Foot Glide (by the makers of Body Glide used by many runners to prevent chafing).

Foot Glide: https://www.bodyglide.com/shop/foot/
1000mile socks are the same format available in the UK https://1000mile.co.uk/

Thanks in advance
Eric
I used silk sock liners from REĂŤ and walked the entire French Way without a single blister. I plan to do the same when I walk the Portuguese Camino in June
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Camino Frances in September of 2017. After doing research similar to yours, I opted on good Solomon hiking shoes 1/2 size bigger than my normal, Injinji toe sock liners, and merino wool socks over them. I was 65 years old, had never done anything like this before, and after 800 Kms I can honestly say I was never even close to getting a blister. I seemed to be one of very few I met along the way.

My Pamplona-Santiago-Valenca-Santiago-Fisterra stage (unlike my Le Puy-Pamplona) was done in hastily acquired oversized Columbia mids filled out with Superfeet Green, wool or silk liner socks, and normal hikers. I swear by the system (for myself). Not only were there no blisters but I didn't even bother taking them off in the evenings for lighter shoes.

In case I ever overcome my debilitating sinus probs I may again go on a camino, so I have just acquired liner socks made of...nettles! (Was thinking about linen then saw nettle from the same ebay seller.) I have also picked up more oversized Columbias, made from....conventional materials. Aw.

I pretty much asked the same question (Liner Socks). As you can see - I wound up getting 2 pairs of the Injinjii socks and so far ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!
Granted I am 'in training' and have not experienced the Camino myself yet, but that said -
light coating of Vaseline​
Injinjii Inner socks​
Darn Tough Outers​
Couple of 8-10 km hikes over various terrain with a 5kg load and feet feel wonderful

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, use liner socks. I’ve used them on 2 Caminos and have had great comfort and only one blister. REI has a mostly silk and poly liner that works very well and keeps my feet dry and very comfortable.
What socks do you recommend?

I pretty much asked the same question (Liner Socks). As you can see - I wound up getting 2 pairs of the Injinjii socks and so far ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!
Granted I am 'in training' and have not experienced the Camino myself yet, but that said -
light coating of Vaseline​
Injinjii Inner socks​
Darn Tough Outers​
Couple of 8-10 km hikes over various terrain with a 5kg load and feet feel wonderful
I just used the same system, light coating on feet, Injinji toe sock liners, and Darn Tough Socks, medium weight. I finished the CF in Finisterre with a total of one small blister.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks in advance
Eric
Try them. Bring a pair along and see how they work for you. Make sure the sock combination isn't too tight in your shoes (don't use boots).

Thanks in advance
Eric
Hi Eric,

Buen Camino :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.