• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock problem

Donna Mosello

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct. 2017: Via Francigena--Grand St. Bernard to Rome.

Oct. 2015: Camino Francès--SJPdP to Santiago.
I'm leaving for Spain in September, so I've been training pretty hard in the hills and mountains in California.
What I started doing lately is using my backpack, shoes etc. that I plan to take with me.....just to get used to them.
My problem is this past weekend I hiked a 10 miler and wore my broken in Merrill Moab hiking shoes and those Smart Wool socks that everyone has been talking about. Well....it was really hot in the mountains (90º) and my feet were so hot they felt like they were on fire.
I almost wanted to go barefoot. I'm used to hiking in my Adidas running socks, and they're fine, but everyone is saying to use wool socks.
Would love to hear some comments about this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
which one Merrell Moab you have? I wear sporadicly Moab Ventilator Low and it is pretty cool in the summer. if wool socks feel too hot, try just thin liners alone. they will not last very long, but improve aeration and saves from blisters. wool socks are great, but again for the high intensity hike polyester running socks may work better.

Hi koknesis!
My boots are also the low cut Ventilators. I love them.....and I wear the men's size 9. The woman's were too narrow. REI already gave me a new pair a few weeks ago because told them that my toes were hitting the front when I was going downhill on the trails. I went from a men's 8 1/2 to a 9 and what a difference! Thanks for the suggestion about the socks. I'm so comfortable wearing my running socks in those boots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use the Smart Wool Outdoor Medium weight in the Winter and Light weight in the Summer and it works well for me with trail runner shoes (Saucony Peregrine 5) I find the Medium weight socks too warm for Summertime. YMMV.

I use the Smart Wool Outdoor Medium weight in the Winter and Light weight in the Summer and it works well for me with trail runner shoes (Saucony Peregrine 5) I find the Medium weight socks too warm for Summertime. YMMV.
Me too. I live and play in Central Florida, and wear them year-round.
Plan on having enough to change socks at mid-day or when you stop for lunch. 4 or 5 pairs worked best for me. A worthwhile expense to protect for feet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. . . I hiked a 10 miler and wore my broken in Merrill Moab hiking shoes and those Smart Wool socks that everyone has been talking about. Well....it was really hot in the mountains (90º) and my feet were so hot they felt like they were on fire.. . .

. . . but everyone is saying to use wool socks.

Exactly which Smartwool socks?

They make different WEIGHTS and different TYPES.

The only Smartwool socks I like are the "Phd" series in "light" weight.

But generally I prefer DARN TOUGH socks, I think they are the best socks. If your feet get hot you may want to choose one of their lighter weight COOLMAX synthetic & wool blends.

I think a lot of people new to long distance walking or hiking have no real experience or clue about all the different weight socks available from 'ultra-light' to 'heavy' weights.

Experienced walkers like yourself realize that changing the sock type/weight is important for comfort. Somehow we have to spread the word to new folks on this forum that equipment choices can make/break a Camino.

I'm leaving for Spain in September, so I've been training pretty hard in the hills and mountains in California.
What I started doing lately is using my backpack, shoes etc. that I plan to take with me.....just to get used to them.
My problem is this past weekend I hiked a 10 miler and wore my broken in Merrill Moab hiking shoes and those Smart Wool socks that everyone has been talking about. Well....it was really hot in the mountains (90º) and my feet were so hot they felt like they were on fire.
I almost wanted to go barefoot. I'm used to hiking in my Adidas running socks, and they're fine, but everyone is saying to use wool socks.
Hi Donna,
There is a difference between Smart Wool and Merino Wool.

Smartwool socks are more for comfort and warmth, and Merino socks are better at moisture wicking, to keep your feet dry.
*proof positive why it's so important to test out and break in all your equipment prior to the "big" adventure.

Agree with what everyone is saying, it is so important to think of when you are walking and heat causes problems for your feet. I ended up purchasing a wonderful pair of Lurbel hiking socks in Spain that became my cherished socks and all I wore in June and July last year, ditched the liners as they created even more heat for me. I had started out with a pair of Smartwool socks plus liners. My son had merino wool socks from Icebreaker, a light weight pair, and that was all he wore with zero problems. I loved those Lurbel socks until just a couple weekends ago while hiking here in Colorado when I had to cross a stream, shoes and socks off and I failed to stuff one sock into the shoe very efficiently and when I tossed my shoes over the stream, out went the sock down the fast moving stream . . . sniff, sniff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Donna,
There is a difference between Smart Wool and Merino Wool.

Smartwool socks are more for comfort and warmth, and Merino socks are better at moisture wicking, to keep your feet dry.
*proof positive why it's so important to test out and break in all your equipment prior to the "big" adventure.
SmartWool is a BRAND of socks.

They make Merino Wool hiking socks.

All of the major brands have some sort of blend with Merino being the majority component. There is typically some amount of elastic and other synthetic in the sock as well.

LINK to SmartWool brand hiking socks => http://www.smartwool.com/activities/hike.html?icid=HP:marq2

There isn't just one SmartWool sock!!

http://www.smartwool.com/activities/hike.html

If you are using thick socks, try a thinner sock to keep your feet cooler. If you have the 100% wool socks, try a blend with less wool in it. I have found that the more synthetic, the better the moisture wicking.
I am going go back to REI this week and look around for either a mix or a lighter weight sock.
Right now I'm using Smart Wool "Light Cushion-Outdoor" and they were way too hot.

SmartWool is a BRAND of socks.

They make Merino Wool hiking socks.

All of the major brands have some sort of blend with Merino being the majority component. There is typically some amount of elastic and other synthetic in the sock as well.

LINK to SmartWool brand hiking socks => http://www.smartwool.com/activities/hike.html?icid=HP:marq2
Thanks for the great info. I will definitely get on their website and see what they have. I'm sure there's an 800 number that I can call and talk to a customer service rep. The ones that I bought were the Smart Wool Merino "Light Cushion-Outdoor", and they were just too hot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Donna, use whatever socks are comfortable for you to use.
I use SmartWool in the cool weather, but often change to simple cotton socks that I buy at the China Stores along the Camino when the weather gets hot.

Thank you, thank you!
Don't know "why" I thought that I just had to stick with whatever suggestions were given to me by friends who walked the Camino, and other blogs that I've seen about what to pack.

If the Adidas socks work for you, stick with them, my bit of advice, start your Camino with fresh new socks, if you have any considerable use on your training socks, they will break down due to the long distances and daily hand washing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the great info. I will definitely get on their website and see what they have. I'm sure there's an 800 number that I can call and talk to a customer service rep. The ones that I bought were the Smart Wool Merino "Light Cushion-Outdoor", and they were just too hot.
"outdoor" socks are more of a general wear sock. "hiking" socks, as well as "running" socks have elastic stretch panels in strategic places to keep the sock from shifting on your foot.

Don't limit yourself to trying only SmartWool, but if you do, try at least 1 pair from their "Phd" collection.

There are other good brands out there. Just like shoes, people become very devoted and loyal to a brand.

Consider also the following (and I'm sure there are more!):
  • Point 6
  • Darn Tough
  • Wigwam
  • Bridgedale
  • Injinji
  • FITS
  • Lorpen

Here is a sock review from OUTDOOR GEAR LAB => http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Socks-Reviews

Not trying to add to your confusion!

Hi Donna, I also have problems with smart wool socks in warm weather. The Spanish Lurbel sock is my Camino favourite. This year I also wore injinjis (the synthetic trail running ones). I had very few foot issues, unlike in previous years when I wore smart wool and merino socks.

Didn't get on with tech socks or liners....ended up buying thin coolmax....Spanish brand socks they worked fine....if I had thought good weather was guaranteed would have just used sandals ....no socks....but was May and was expecting more rain not temps of 37'c. Don't get too bogged down by all the talk of tech this and that.....I spent a lot of money on such stuff that was never used

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Donna, I also have problems with smart wool socks in warm weather. The Spanish Lurbel sock is my Camino favourite. This year I also wore injinjis (the synthetic trail running ones). I had very few foot issues, unlike in previous years when I wore smart wool and merino socks.
Smart Wool makes Merino Wool socks. I am unaware that they make any sock that is not primarily a Merino Wool sock.

Smart Wool makes summer weight ultra-light socks for warm/hot weather. Most brands I know of have at least 3, some have 5 different weights/thicknesses of socks providing different levels of insulation.

For people who have problems with their feet getting too hot then I have to ask what weight socks do you use?

Thank you, thank you!
Don't know "why" I thought that I just had to stick with whatever suggestions were given to me by friends who walked the Camino, and other blogs that I've seen about what to pack.
Hi Donna, I love socks! tried many different types both on and off camino and I am taking this year ............... Adidas running socks! Thin wicking, still change halfway through day, I love them. My feet swelled horrendously 0n my 8th day, despite all my efforts before I went I still got blisters with merino and 1000 mile socks.
My advice take what you know and love and don't overheat your feet, they are your most important asset on the camino. If you are comfortable you can enjoy.

I have a Camino sock fettish. Own more pairs than I could ever use.

1st Camino I had heavy hiking wool sock, worn with a liner. Big mistake. Feet felt compressed, liners kept bunching up at the bottom of my foot.

I have Tough Wool, Injinji, Luberel ( Spanish brand). These last one are my favourites with my new micro light Smartwools.

Good for you for starting to try to see what works for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"outdoor" socks are more of a general wear sock. "hiking" socks, as well as "running" socks have elastic stretch panels in strategic places to keep the sock from shifting on your foot.

Don't limit yourself to trying only SmartWool, but if you do, try at least 1 pair from their "Phd" collection.

There are other good brands out there. Just like shoes, people become very devoted and loyal to a brand.

• Point 6
  • Darn Tough
  • Wigwam
  • Bridgedale
  • Injinji
  • FITS
  • Lorpen

Here is a sock review from OUTDOOR GEAR LAB => http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Socks-Reviews

Thanks for everyone for all your suggestions. I will definitely go to REI and look at other lighter weight socks......Hiking/running....not Outdoor. I think the others will be much lighter. I'm going to check on those Injinji socks too. I've heard other people mention those.

Smart Wool makes Merino Wool socks. I am unaware that they make any sock that is not primarily a Merino Wool sock.

Smart Wool makes summer weight ultra-light socks for warm/hot weather. Most brands I know of have at least 3, some have 5 different weights/thicknesses of socks providing different levels of insulation.

For people who have problems with their feet getting too hot then I have to ask what weight socks do you use?
I'm using Smart Wool "Outdoor/Light Cushion/Merino". I checked out the Smart Wool website and saw that they had the same sock but it "Ultra light". I'm going to check those out too. Otherwise I'm definitely looking at other brands at REI. Thanks!

If you are using thick socks, try a thinner sock to keep your feet cooler. If you have the 100% wool socks, try a blend with less wool in it. I have found that the more synthetic, the better the moisture wicking.
That's just what I planned on doing. Smart Wool also comes in "Ultra Light", which I plan to check out.
I have the "Light Outdoor/Merino" and they were just too hot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Smart Wool "Outdoor/Light Cushion is what I am using, and in 90+ degree weather my feet were on fire.
I accessed their website and saw that they also have an Ultra Light Cushion. I might try a pair of those.

Exactly which Smartwool socks?

They make different WEIGHTS and different TYPES.

The only Smartwool socks I like are the "Phd" series in "light" weight.

But generally I prefer DARN TOUGH socks, I think they are the best socks. If your feet get hot you may want to choose one of their lighter weight COOLMAX synthetic & wool blends.

I think a lot of people new to long distance walking or hiking have no real experience or clue about all the different weight socks available from 'ultra-light' to 'heavy' weights.

Experienced walkers like yourself realize that changing the sock type/weight is important for comfort. Somehow we have to spread the word to new folks on this forum that equipment choices can make/break a Camino.
Thanks Mike. I agree with you. Let's spread the word. I'm using the Smart Wool Outdoor Light Cushion.
I think I'm going to try the Ultra Light version. I'm sure they will be a lot cooler. Also, I plan to take wool blend sock. I still have until Sept, so....I am going to buy several different weights and blends just to see what fits me best!

• Point 6
  • Darn Tough
  • Wigwam
  • Bridgedale
  • Injinji
  • FITS
  • Lorpen

Thanks for all the info. I plan to try a few different ones before my trip, including some wool blends.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks Annie! I am definitely going to try a lighter weight sock and some wool blends instead of 100% Merino.
I see that Smart Wool also has an Ultra Light model.

I will take your advice and try other makes and weights, including wool blends instead of 100% Merino.

..... I am definitely going to try a lighter weight sock and some wool blends instead of 100% Merino.
I see that Smart Wool also has an Ultra Light model.
FWIW, most of the "hiking socks" from SmartWool have 60% to 70% Merino Wool content. None of them are 100% Merino Wool.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cool, I was going to start a very similar thread. This past weekend I even got a heat rash from wearing wool socks. My feet were sore a day later.

I am checking out marathon runner socks. I was really curious if there are other people who have had the same issue.

Please be kind and post back when you find a solution rather than just saying great I found one. Thanks

Cool, I was going to start a very similar thread. This past weekend I even got a heat rash from wearing wool socks. My feet were sore a day later.

I am checking out marathon runner socks. I was really curious if there are other people who have had the same issue.

Please be kind and post back when you find a solution rather than just saying great I found one. Thanks
Now that you mentioned it, I wore the mini sock (above ankle) because I don't like the real high ones.
I too had a little rash right where the socks ended....on both feet. Time to change socks!

Donna: Like others, I have a number of socks. I picked up a pair of Wright Socks at REI. They are fairly short with two thin layers. I wore them last week for an 8 mile walk at about 85 degrees Fahrenheit (30 Celcius) and my feet liked them. The week before I wore Injinji (light weight) for 12 miles. My feet were ok with them, too. The REI employee encouraged me to try the socks on before I bought them so take your shoes with you.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Donna: Like others, I have a number of socks. I picked up a pair of Wright Socks at REI. They are fairly short with two thin layers. I wore them last week for an 8 mile walk at about 85 degrees Fahrenheit (30 Celcius) and my feet liked them. The week before I wore Injinji (light weight) for 12 miles. My feet were ok with them, too. The REI employee encourages me to try the socks on before I bought them so take your shoes with you.
What a great idea! Thanks for the great advice.

Hi, Did not use wool socks for several reasons. They don't dry fast. They are too fluffy so your feet move easily in your shoes (blisters). I only used so called "dual layer" socks and they were FABULOUS! Never use anything else anymore! See: www.wrightsock.com

Buen Camino

I never got blisters - so here are my thoughts thin liner sock and then top sock pref the type you have been recommended, and I took out the original inner soles of my boots (forget the inner soles that all these manufacturers tell you they have put in them) and bought the best soles I could afford - saves all the impact - but also get used used to walking everyday in your boots - which and every way rough and smooth - it will stand you in good stead

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Did not use wool socks for several reasons. They don't dry fast. They are too fluffy so your feet move easily in your shoes (blisters).

Merino wool socks are fast drying. They do let your feet move easily in your shoes, but that prevents blisters - have a look at http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/what-causes-blisters
I stopped getting hot spots after switching from athletic socks to merino.

Many other advantages too:
http://snarkynomad.com/why-merino-wool-socks-make-the-best-travel-socks/

We walked CF from SJPdP last September in Keen Mids. When the feet were hot, everything was hot. Due to the high rate of blisters and foot problems on the Camino, I recommend a liner sock then a synthetic sock that dries quicker than wool, such as those by Nike or Puma. consider reducing friction with Glide and taping bony spots. Save your wool for winter hikes.

I swear by WrightSock Merino Stride 1/4 socks. They are double layer with inner synthetic layer and soft, fine merino blend outer layer. I wear them in Canada winter AND summer for running. I'll be wearing them for walking the Camino in September/October. Never had a blister, and I've run 50 km trail races in them in hot, dry conditions and in wet conditions sloshing through mud and rain. They dry fast.

€149,-
Hi, Did not use wool socks for several reasons. They don't dry fast. They are too fluffy so your feet move easily in your shoes (blisters)...
You tried the WRONG wool socks.

Merino Wool socks come in 3 to 5 different thicknesses/weights (depending upon which brand you try) ranging from 'ultra-light' to 'extra heavy' weight/thickness.

The ultra-light and lightweight socks both dry just about as quickly as comparable synthetics. Both are comparable to similar synthetics in terms of thickness/cushioning (in your terms 'fluffy').

If you compare a synthetic 'light hiker' to a Merino Wool "medium hiker" then yes, the wool sock will feel fluffy. But compare a 'light hiker' to a light hiker' and the feeling will be similar.

I strongly suspect that you were making some sort of apples-to-oranges comparison in terms of socks.

Many people are not aware that there are many TYPES of socks and many WEIGHTS/THICKNESSES of socks. A "light hiker" will feel different than a "medium outdoor" sock, regardless of if it is made of synthetic or wool material. etc etc etc

You can wear the thick ones up to about 12 degrees celcius but then you must go for the thin ones. I started last May with the thick ones and for ten/ twelfe days I had no problems. Then came the Meseta with up to 33 degrees and I got blisters as big as chicken eggs. In Leon I got a pair of thin cool soks and besides the healing of my feet it went wel again.
Greets,
Peter

Hi, Did not use wool socks for several reasons. They don't dry fast. They are too fluffy so your feet move easily in your shoes (blisters). I only used so called "dual layer" socks and they were FABULOUS! Never use anything else anymore! See: www.wrightsock.com

Buen Camino

Thanks so much for the website. I want to check those socks out.
I noticed that they come in Lightweight, Middle, Light Cushion and Cushion.
Which ones did you use?

€149,-
We walked CF from SJPdP last September in Keen Mids. When the feet were hot, everything was hot. Due to the high rate of blisters and foot problems on the Camino, I recommend a liner sock then a synthetic sock that dries quicker than wool, such as those by Nike or Puma. consider reducing friction with Glide and taping bony spots. Save your wool for winter hikes.

Hi there,
I agree about the wool socks for winter. I went back to REI today and bought some synthetic socks. Can't wait to try them out this week.
Thanks for the info.

You tried the WRONG wool socks.

Merino Wool socks come in 3 to 5 different thicknesses/weights (depending upon which brand you try) ranging from 'ultra-light' to 'extra heavy' weight/thickness.

The ultra-light and lightweight socks both dry just about as quickly as comparable synthetics. Both are comparable to similar synthetics in terms of thickness/cushioning (in your terms 'fluffy').

If you compare a synthetic 'light hiker' to a Merino Wool "medium hiker" then yes, the wool sock will feel fluffy. But compare a 'light hiker' to a light hiker' and the feeling will be similar.

I strongly suspect that you were making some sort of apples-to-oranges comparison in terms of socks.

Many people are not aware that there are many TYPES of socks and many WEIGHTS/THICKNESSES of socks. A "light hiker" will feel different than a "medium outdoor" sock, regardless of if it is made of synthetic or wool material. etc etc etc

Thanks very much for the info on the socks. I am going to try different pairs out....like the ultra-light ones.

I swear by WrightSock Merino Stride 1/4 socks. They are double layer with inner synthetic layer and soft, fine merino blend outer layer. I wear them in Canada winter AND summer for running. I'll be wearing them for walking the Camino in September/October. Never had a blister, and I've run 50 km trail races in them in hot, dry conditions and in wet conditions sloshing through mud and rain. They dry fast.
I also got WrightSock & am using them for training walks/hikes - so far so good. Has anyone tried Armaskin Anti-blister socks?

Thanks so much for the website. I want to check those socks out.
I noticed that they come in Lightweight, Middle, Light Cushion and Cushion.
Which ones did you use?
I bought the middle ones & will use them on my walk in Sept/Oct.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.