• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock protectors -- Only in Australia ???

Man in Black

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Finisterre (2017)
Chemin St Jacques (2018)
Rota Vicentina (2019)
While hiking the Camino Frances in September we met an Irish pilgrim who was wearing a short set of cloth gaiters On this dry and dusty day it was to keep the rocks out of his shoes. He said that an Australian pilgrim had gifted them to him years before and they were ideal. I've tried online to find them in Canada but to no avail. It seems that Australia and NZ have the corner on the market and will not ship to Canada. This is one brand I've looked at. Ideally they would be light and water resistant.

Any North American gear junkies out there with suggestions? Thanks.

default_default_lg_ac5_9379.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lady in my hiking club used to make them and sell them, but, sadly, not anymore; it was a long time ago. But anyway, they are very easy to make yourself.
Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh, I always considered my shoes to be sock protectors :rolleyes: . But seriously, REI lists several types of short, ankle high gaiters. Have you tried the Canadian outdoor coop, M-something (can't remember the full name, but it's three initials like REI south of the border)?

Hi, sock protectors is a bit of a misnomer they are actually boot protectors, on this years camino from Almeria the lining of my Hoka Tor Summit were totally destroyed by fine dust and sand that found it’s way into my boots, I surmise that the combination of sweat, vasalene, sand and sock acted like sandpaper and wore away the event lining.
As it happens these boots had proven to be very poor in the waterproof department prior to this and I had emailed the supplier on every instance of wet feet and the boots were replaced on my return to the UK.
Regards
George

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While hiking the Camino Frances in September we met an Irish pilgrim who was wearing a short set of cloth gaiters On this dry and dusty day it was to keep the rocks out of his shoes. He said that an Australian pilgrim had gifted them to him years before and they were ideal. I've tried online to find them in Canada but to no avail. It seems that Australia and NZ have the corner on the market and will not ship to Canada. This is one brand I've looked at. Ideally they would be light and water resistant.

Dirty Girl gaiters are a favorite for backpackers in the US. They work well. And they do ship to Canada, as well as overseas.

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/

I won't go anywhere without my Dirty Girl Gaiters! They keep sand, dust and various trail debris out of my shoes, keep them cleaner and brighten my day right up. Not water resistant though but I wonder - if I spray them with silicon spray? I like that they are very breathable though.

Attachments

• 2016-07-20 11.51.19.jpg
    2016-07-20 11.51.19.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 37
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A canadian pilgrim showed me her - very technical - way to keep small stones from entering boots : you fold your socks over the top of the shoe :cool::)
Well, you'd have to wear kind of tall socks to accomplish that. I love and wear short Wigwam sport socks that barely cover my ankles. They do not have enough height to roll over the shoe.:p

I have used Australian "Driza-bone" oilskin boot guards during both our Caminos as well as the West Highland Way. I also use them all the time in Australia when walking in the bush. They are completely effective at keeping stones out of my boots and grass seeds out of my socks. They also help to keep rainwater away from the boot tongue when worn in conjunction with waterproof overtrousers. I suggest you have a look at the following links for Australian suppliers who will dispatch their products overseas. http://www.morrisoutside.com.au or https://store.drizabone.com.au/alora-sock-protectors-brown
Good luck. Pat and Anne

Here is an old thread with a discussion. (I remember it because I started it!) To summarize, this is my solution to keeping rocks out of my shoes. It is cheap and easy, but unfortunately not water resistant. Take a pair of ladies' knee-high stockings, cut off the foot, and pull it over your boots. Throw them away if you don't need them. Buy a new pair in almost any village if you need them.

I am still pondering how to make some waterproof ones, but in the meantime, I am walking southern routes where there is less rain! :)

Attachments

• 20160207_105101[1].jpg
    20160207_105101[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • 20160207_131742.jpg
    20160207_131742.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 59
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We cut bottoms off old trousers and then sew in elastic. This way you can make them longer/shorter to suit etc. I am in Australia and wear these daily and for the camino as I seem to get little stones in boots even on tarmac !

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions, the DIY options and the Aussie options. Now to make a choice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We make our own as well . The bottom 200mm of old well worn jean legs are best . A simple hem and some 6mm flat elastic is all you need . Water proof material and synthetics will only make your feet sweat .

Gosh, I always considered my shoes to be sock protectors :rolleyes: . But seriously, REI lists several types of short, ankle high gaiters. Have you tried the Canadian outdoor coop, M-something (can't remember the full name, but it's three initials like REI south of the border)?

The Canadian company is MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All this got me thinking ... My goretex trousers are a little bit shorter than I'd like (yes I'm a convert to rain trousers and poncho now) and I do like a spot of DIY, so I dug out a pair of unused waterproof gaiters with velcro fastening and had a look. I have just cut them off below the ankle elastic and removed the bungee tightener at the top, and when I turn them on their heads they become wide, waterproof 'skirts' that I can quickly put on to protect most of my shoes! And all this weighs 32 grams. For two. :D

I use them all the time when I walked the Camino. Very lightweight and easy to wash.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
'Sock Protectors', short length, available at KMart in Australia. Bought a pair today for A$5. Not waterproof by the look of them so will give them a double spray of 'Scotchgard' fabric protector, a waterproofing available from Woolworths or Bunnings.
Regards
Gerard

Prompted by all this discussion I looked at my ancient home made pair and decided they had seen better days . Anne&Pat's link to Morrisoutside leads you to a range of sock/boot guards that have few rivals .
Personally I would never use waterproof ones on a Camino but then many would , there are ones with reflective tape for high visibility , gumboot/ Wellington boot top protectors ,long and short sorts and many other variations .
I bought the modest heavy cotton variety , available from Aussie Disposals in Aust . all of $13. and only $10. on line .
http://morrisoutside.com.au/shop/gardening-gloves-181923624/boot-guard-heavy-duty-drill-cotton

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.