• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock question for pilgrims with "chunky" ankles / feet

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
I have been "blessed" (not) with "high volume" (fat lol) feet, wide feet, and chunky ankles. A such, I have a lot of trouble finding suitable socks.

I wear liner toe socks, that's fine. My problem is the second sock. Most hiking socks have an elasticised band around the middle of the sock. I understand this is to stop the socks from moving around, but if too tight, they make my feet ache. The same with the elastic around the ankle.

I found a dream pair for my last Camino however they have worn out and are no longer available.

So, has anyone with similar issues found themselves a suitable pair of socks please?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been "blessed" (not) with "high volume" (fat lol) feet, wide feet, and chunky ankles. A such, I have a lot of trouble finding suitable socks.

I wear liner toe socks, that's fine. My problem is the second sock. Most hiking socks have an elasticised band around the middle of the sock. I understand this is to stop the socks from moving around, but if too tight, they make my feet ache. The same with the elastic around the ankle.

I found a dream pair for my last Camino however they have worn out and are no longer available.

So, has anyone with similar issues found themselves a suitable pair of socks please?
Decathlon makes some socks that work for my husband. You might take a look there once you are in country.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also be aware that you may experience an increased blessing of "cankles" which increase the girth of the calves/ankles even more after walking for a couple of weeks. Just get extra stretchy socks.

Try folding the top of a crew height sock down to form a cuff with the elastic at your ankle.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It became an issue for me too last year. A week into my walk and the only socks I could comfortably wear for any length of time on the trail were my Smartwool Light Cushion Low Ankle Socks.
Thanks, I will look at this option too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk in just one pair of socks. The Injinji liners (not the merino type) work well for me, or in the alternative on our last camino I also had a pair of "normal" merino socks from Icebreaker. These come in R and L just like the toe socks do. Most of my socks are about as thin of a walking/hiking sock as I can find.
The excess compression thing has only hit me if I tie my shoes too tight.
You could try doing a training hike with some weight and your liner type toe socks only to see if it works for you.

I walk in just one pair of socks. The Injinji liners (not the merino type) work well for me, or in the alternative on our last camino I also had a pair of "normal" merino socks from Icebreaker. These come in R and L just like the toe socks do. Most of my socks are about as thin of a walking/hiking sock as I can find.
The excess compression thing has only hit me if I tie my shoes too tight.
You could try doing a training hike with some weight and your liner type toe socks only to see if it works for you.
Thank you. A few test hikes was the plan, but I now have an achilles injury and on strict rest :rolleyes: ... until goodness knows when. Not ideal, as we start walking in 7 weeks. Ah well, what will be will be.🙏

Might check out socks from Darn Tough. These are fabulous socks with lifetime warranty. Can purchase through Amazon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

You are likely back from your Camino now @Joanne P, or nearing it's conclusion, and I hope you found socks that worked out for you.

In my internet search today I can across these "Loose Fit Stays Up" merino-blend crew socks, described as being "looser in the foot, ankle and leg."

Though I don't think they'll be right for me (due to being loose in the foot itself, whereas my issue is the ankle), I'm posting the link here for whomever still may be seeking that elusive perfect pair.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.