• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock recommendations?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Hi all. I am walking the Camino Portugues coastal route in March 2017 and was hoping for some recommendations on what types of socks to wear. Last year I walked from SJDP to Santiago and my toes were a mess and very painful. I've been thinking of toe socks. What is the best? Wool? Any advice would be appreciated as last year it was quite painful or are problems with toes unavoidable?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all. I am walking the Camino Portugues coastal route in March 2017 and was hoping for some recommendations on what types of socks to wear. Last year I walked from SJDP to Santiago and my toes were a mess and very painful. I've been thinking of toe socks. What is the best? Wool? Any advice would be appreciated as last year it was quite painful or are problems with toes unavoidable?
Hi @Rossco and welcome to the Forum
I'm a sock fanatic and have used various configurations of toe socks very successfully and blister free for many years. Not sure where you are located (I'm in Australia) but Injinji Toe Socks website is a good place to start your research. This comparison chart shows you all the different materials, lengths and styles available. This is not the only company and there are many other excellent retailers who stock a wide range including ToeSox and ToeToe.

I use the toe socks on their own, as liners and also have compression pairs for travelling as well as post walk recovery. I have used merino wool fibre, Nuwool, CoolMax as well as silk and silk blend. On the Camino Francés in April/May I alternated the Injinji Nuwool MidWeight Crew Socks with padded cushioning (Nuwool is a blend of merino wool, nylon and spandex and has great wicking properties ) with a silk/merino blend liner ToeToe sock under my Meindl trekking socks.

You may also want to check out blister prevention strategies on podiatrist Rebecca Ruston's website. Foot problems are a complex science and your blisters may need a strategy that includes more than just toe socks.

Good luck with your research and I hope that you find a solution that lets your next Camino be blister free.

No, problems with toes can be avoided. I have very limited experience with toe socks. I have used them, but prefer to use a paper tape like Micropore (tm) to tape the toes that I know can give me problems. I have also used standard strapping tape, although you would need to make sure you don't have any problems applying it directly to your skin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We use the 'three sock system'.
A very thin pair of liner socks (our choice are Rohan 'Inner and Hot' - mens and womens sizes)
A mid-weight pair of Corrymoor mohair, as a middle layer,and a cushion-sole pair of Corrymoor as the outer layer. The Corrymoor socks are Companion and Sportsman (both short) or Woodlander for long cushion sole. We have never had blisters!
Added advantage of the mohair is that they don't need washing (read their facts page) and the thin liners wash daily and dry overnight so 2 or 3 pairs are easy to carry and just one spare set of mohairs.
We carry micropore tape 'just in case' but no tape needed, no vaseline etc
Buen Camino

@Rossco I have broken several toes because I was not wearing shoes etc. I have tried toe socks, but I did not like them. I wear a silk liner sock, and a cushioned wool sock when I hike. Here is a hyperlink to Darn Tough Socks they have a lifetime warranty.

I hope the socks do it for you, but I think you need to try and identify the root cause of your toe problems.

Just a couple of challenge questions without context on the toe problems:
1) Do you keep your toe nails trimmed throughout your hike?
2) Do you have sufficient room in the toe box of the shoe or boot that you are hiking in?
3) Were your toe problems encountered on the decent? You may consider lacing your boots differently to reduce slippage toward the toe.
4) Were you stretching including your toes? Here is a hyperlink that contains some toe stretches.
5) I carry some gel toe sleeves in my first aid kit. Here is a hyperlink to some gel toe sleeves.

Last edited:
Just a quick word on socks this is a subject that sometimes can be over analysed here is my solution after losing four toe nails and and the skin of both heels on my first Camino which I put down to wrong socks (Double Lined ). I was determined for the same not to happen 2016 and can say it worked for me.

Firstly bought nearly every type of sock available (Such was my deperation) i.e. Thousand Miles (Cut of my circulation to the point my feet turned blue) Rejected.. Smart socks ( To hot for summer).. Rejected etc... Finally settled on Marino wool worked out grand.

My biggest revelation that ended my Camino with no feet problems was to change from hiking boots to Keen Newport H2 half shoe half sandle which were ideal, (For me) lots of air circulating and comfortable, they lack a bit of ankle support but the comfort factor outweighed that problem.

Just a suggestion, take care, and buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can only speak for myself, but sock choice and blisters were never a problem for me on multiple CF's. I always wore thin, synthetic running socks. Tons of them on the market. Also, I found that they dry very quickly after washing and are lightweight. I brought multiple pairs. Never bought the real expensive ones, and as they get quite the workout on the Camino, especially with being hand washed, I would throw the pair into the trash bin as soon as they got kinda worn and would grab a fresh pair.

You may find that you need different socks - or combinations of socks - to cope with wide variations in temperature along your way. For several years I have worn two layers of socks and have had minimal blister problems: one insignificant blister in the past 2000+ km. I always wear Coolmax liner socks next to the skin. On very hot days I would simply add a second pair of liners. On colder days I wore heavier synthetic socks or a pair in bamboo fibre.

I am also a bit of a sock fanatic and keep looking for the mext best thing.

1st Camino I tried liners with whool socks on top. Liner kept bunching up at the bottom of foot.

Then tried double lined Wright's socks, but they stay wet from foot moisture.

Light merino whool Smart Socks work well, in July under blazing sun, bit do not dry well inside a chilly albergue on a rainy evening.

Injinjis: the medium thickness keeps moisture in too much and the skin where the toe joins the foot ends up tearing - same thing happens to me after days and days of scuba diving. But the thin Injinjins are just fine. And I thought I would not like the feel of the the toe as I cannot stant flip flops, but not a problem.

So what to do? Keep trying different socks until you find something that works.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like @Bradypus there were some days when 2 pairs of liners and cushion soles were better than our normal combination. It is all dependent on personal comfort and choices as well as the temperature when walking.

Love all the opinions. I tried every configuration members of this forum suggested. Liner socks with another layer ( didnt prevent hot spots) Darn Tuff ( too hot ) Smart Wool (too hot and tight at ankle)
I actually went thru 4 toes socks as Injinji has different weight and thickness. Some were too hot or tight. FOR ME what worked was medium toe with nothing else with Blister Shield.

All these sock opinions worked for someone. So what I had to do, and I suggest to you, is get one of each system and try it out!

I wore silk liner socks with merino wool hiking socks over top. The hiking socks were ankle length, so I could fold the top of the liner sock out over the top of the hiking sock, so the liner sock didn't slip down at all. I also wore Altra trail running shoes, which have a very wide toe box. I also tried several lacing patterns, till I found one that held the back of my foot in place, but kept the shoe loose around my toes. I did use paper tape on my heel and a couple of toes a few times, when I felt a hot spot starting. I would just plop down on the trail and fix it right then--no waiting till a convenient stopping place. With this combination, I got zero blisters on the Camino Frances in July 2016. My feet didn't feel too hot with the wool socks, maybe because the running shoes were breathable.
Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm a sock fanatic and have used various configurations of toe socks very successfully and blister free for many years. Not sure where you are located (I'm in Australia) but Injinji Toe Socks website is a good place to start your research. This comparison chart shows you all the different materials, lengths and styles available. This is not the only company and there are many other excellent retailers who stock a wide range including ToeSox and ToeToe.

I use the toe socks on their own, as liners and also have compression pairs for travelling as well as post walk recovery. I have used merino wool fibre, Nuwool, CoolMax as well as silk and silk blend. On the Camino Francés in April/May I alternated the Injinji Nuwool MidWeight Crew Socks with padded cushioning (Nuwool is a blend of merino wool, nylon and spandex and has great wicking properties ) with a silk/merino blend liner ToeToe sock under my Meindl trekking socks.

You may also want to check out blister prevention strategies on podiatrist Rebecca Ruston's website. Foot problems are a complex science and your blisters may need a strategy that includes more than just toe socks.

Good luck with your research and I hope that you find a solution that lets your next Camino be blister free.
Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I'm from Australia also.

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I'm from Australia also.
G'Day to a fellow countryman. There's a lot of us on the Camino :) and a wide availability of toe socks in outdoor stores here.

i put the vaseline all over my foot then slid on a silk liner then a merino wool sock over that then slid my foot into my my saloman gtx ultra mids one size too big....nary a blister in 500 miles

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I used two brands of two layer socks, Wright socks (cool max) ant thousand mile. The main thing that helped me was changing socks every time my feet got hot. I would attached the ones I just took off to my backpack and then they were ready to wear again in another couple of hours. I brought 4 pairs of socks and enjoyed them all. No blisters (and no boots .... trail runners)

I found that if I slathered goose grease and chicken fat all over my feet in the morning, and then wrapped my feet in silk and aluminum foil, that prevented any blistering.
Oh my, was that an opinion or an approach, or am I just being silly and facetious? or was that part of a recipe? ha ha :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found that if I slathered goose grease and chicken fat all over my feet in the morning, and then wrapped my feet in silk and aluminum foil, that prevented any blistering.
Oh my, was that an opinion or an approach, or am I just being silly and facetious? or was that part of a recipe? ha ha :D
I think I ate at that place

I thought that this was part of the remedy to prevent gout, not blisters. Perhaps Pliny got it wrong!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought that this was part of the remedy to prevent gout, not blisters. Perhaps Pliny got it wrong!
Must confess that I would not be 100% keen to take the advice of a man who thought that strapping a fox's bollocks to your forehead was a good treatment for headache. Even if only because I can't find a translation in my Spanish phrasebook to ask for them in the farmacia :)

The army solution was to slather lots of cold cream all over your feet. But army has this idea where you get to keep your boots on for days at a time as a way of building character.

I used vaseline on the camino ... first time ever for putting anything on my feet other than socks. My feet and boots got wet in sideways rain first day. The blisters started early day two.

The problem with toes is probably due to the toe box on your shoes being too small.

Its important to keep feet dry. Wearing thick socks feels nice but it makes feet sweat. Air circulation is best; I like the sandal idea except for the potential to get small stones underfoot.

Next time I'm going to wear thin socks. An added advantage will be drying time after rinsing the sweat out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi - my view on this topic changed completely when I walked the Camino francs in March 2016 - so much wet snow and rain. I used amazing Bridgedale coolmax liners and thin Bridgedale socks (wool ultralight trekking socks) and light trekking boots. But I did not use vaseline - so hard to wash the socks then - I used good old Gewohl foot cream. I changed liners and socks several times a day (sometimes every second hours) and put on Gewohl a very thin layer especially between toes to avoid friction . I walked about 30km a day - some days more and had no blisters apart from a tiny one the only day I did not change socks and had quite wet feet. I was nowhere dry to change socks that day...

Try out your magic solution on long walks prior to your trip. Buen camino.

Hola @Rossco; again some good to great advice from the Camino Family Foot Centre!!?? I have tried a number of techniques - the thin liner / thick (or at least thicker) outer which works well. I have also tried the toe liner socks - the idea behind is that it keeps your toes apart and stops them rubbing on each other so should reduce the blisters.

Boot/shoe fitting is most important - the toe box room is one I definitely endorse (I have size 11 UK and EE/EEE (wide to very wide foot) so room for my toes and across the lower arch (front) is a MUST.

I am currently trialing the previously recommended "lizard skin" liner socks (you wear them inside out); the seams are on the outside and hence do not cause rubbing. They are OK in cool to warm days but I think on very warm to hot days they may cause moisture build up - I still wear my thicker outer socks - I need the extra cushioning. The one special piece of advice I have been given and has been repeated on the Forum - at least every two hours stop and take your boots AND socks off whilst you take a drink and eat your snack, your feet then have a chance to breath and cool off and the socks can also air - even if its just 10 or 15 mins.

So you are welcome to use any of this advice or ignore it as you see fit. The one piece of advice I do strongly recommend - make sure your boots/walking shoes are fully broken-in well before you start your Camino. Cheers; Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The army solution was to slather lots of cold cream all over your feet. But army has this idea where you get to keep your boots on for days at a time as a way of building character.
Which army? Neither of these reflects foot care practices during my service in Australia over a bit more than a quarter of a century. The general practice in my time was to keep feet dry and to harden up one's feet with regular distance walking or jogging.

Last edited:
I used to think blisters were caused by friction, heat and moisture. Now I think of them as being caused by shearing stress. Anything that grips the skin or causes the upper layer of skin to move in a disconnected way from the underlying skin or structure, can cause a blister. Even blisters between the toes - where the skin of one toe is being gripped or held by the skin of another toe.

I used to think blisters were caused by friction, heat and moisture. Now I think of them as being caused by shearing stress. Anything that grips the skin or causes the upper layer of skin to move in a disconnected way from the underlying skin or structure, can cause a blister. Even blisters between the toes - where the skin of one toe is being gripped or held by the skin of another toe.
All of the above are interrelated, and likely contribute to blisters. For example, reducing friction might reduce the "gripping" that creates the shear stress. Moisture changes the friction factor, which changes the gripping. :rolleyes::confused:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is certainly the explanation that seems to best explain blister formation. Where friction comes in is that it is the force that causes the upper layers of the skin to move differently from the underlying structure of the skin. So if your foot moves in a shoe, friction between the shoe and the sock, and then the sock and the skin transmits a force that is trying to make the skin move in the same direction as the movement of the shoe while you foot doesn't move as much.

It really doesn't matter whether or not there is relative movement (rubbing) between the sock and the skin. The absence of movement is an indication that there is static friction that hasn't been exceeded between the sock and the skin, or in the case of the toes, between the adjacent skin surfaces. That will still result in a shear stress between the skin layers just as much as any kinetic friction that arises when the skin and sock are moving relative to each other. And repeated application of that shear stress will create a blister.

Dry skin has less friction. Double layer socks introduce what should be a lower friction boundary between the inner and outer sock. Applying an emollient or lubricant will do the same. All this goes to reduce the frictional forces, and the shear stress that is applied to the skin.

Inasmuch as the shear stress explanation of blister formation appears sound, there still needs to be an explanation for the causes of that shear, and friction still has a part to play in creating any shear stress. So the good blister prevention techniques about which I am aware all do something about reducing friction between the sock and skin surface, or between adjacent skin surfaces.

I used two brands of two layer socks, Wright socks (cool max) ant thousand mile. The main thing that helped me was changing socks every time my feet got hot. I would attached the ones I just took off to my backpack and then they were ready to wear again in another couple of hours. I brought 4 pairs of socks and enjoyed them all. No blisters (and no boots .... trail runners)
I also used double layer Wrightsocks and very lightweight trail running shoes.
The only blister I got was one hot day when I didn't take the time to air my feet out and change my socks when I took a break.

I was just looking at the Wright Socks website, and they have a sock with the Camino logo!
Also available on Amazon.
camino log socks.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome @Rossco , the following method worked/works for me. Light Coolmax liner socks, Ebay or Amazon, and Bridgedale Trekker outer socks. As you are from Australia, I highly recommend Silic 15, apply this between your toes and to any other part of your foot that may cause you problems. Silic 15 dries to a smooth silky finish, reduces friction, and will not mess up your socks like Vaseline or other petroleum products. Also get boots half to one size bigger as your feet will swell and indeed may flatten due to the constant walking, and this will allow room for expansion.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

24000240.jpg

Which army? Neither of these reflects foot care practices during my service in Australia over a bit more than a quarter of a century. The general practice in my time was to keep feet dry and to harden up ones feet with regular distance walking or jogging.
My time in the military they advocated the keep feet dry, foot powder and change socks often as well as well broken in leather boots.
and of course no whining about your feet on road marches....suck it up ha ha

We use the Funucil foot powder from Spain - me at night Terry in the morning and also in our boots occasionally. It used to be called Fungucil as is available from any farmacia. Dry feet - yes - and always very careful to dry between the toes after a shower, then add the powder. We always shower in the afternoon or evening so feet are really dry to start walking.

Good foot care plus the right socks (whichever type/combination suits you best) makes for happy feet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Loved my Smart Wool socks...1 pair... vaseline on toes...no blisters

I wore silk liner socks with merino wool hiking socks over top. The hiking socks were ankle length, so I could fold the top of the liner sock out over the top of the hiking sock, so the liner sock didn't slip down at all. I also wore Altra trail running shoes, which have a very wide toe box. I also tried several lacing patterns, till I found one that held the back of my foot in place, but kept the shoe loose around my toes. I did use paper tape on my heel and a couple of toes a few times, when I felt a hot spot starting. I would just plop down on the trail and fix it right then--no waiting till a convenient stopping place. With this combination, I got zero blisters on the Camino Frances in July 2016. My feet didn't feel too hot with the wool socks, maybe because the running shoes were breathable.
Good luck!

Every mornin my walking ritual prep was as follows. Thin layer of Vaseline on each foot , thin synthetic liner socks, Marino wool socks, and my shoes are oversized so that my toes never feel cramped not hit the end of the shoe. Stopped every 5 km to take off my shoes and rub my feet. No blisters!! Good luck

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Finisterre from April 24 to June 2 this year. I wore KentWool Socks ( www.kentwool.com) and Armaskin (www.armaskin.com) liners. They were a great combination, never changed socks during the day, and had no blisters or hotspots the whole time.

There always seem to be as many sock solutions as there are feet. I even know a guy from South Africa who wears his thin liner socks OVER his wool socks.

In my experience, blisters came from shoes that were too tight, and sometimes they were too tight because of too many socks. And a larger size of that same shoe would be longer, but not necessarily wider, so same problem. I liked toe socks, because they kept my toes from overlapping against each other, which caused some of my blisters. I finally just changed into my Chaco sandals and did most of the Camino with no problems. Added the toe socks once or twice when it was too cold, but most of the time it was great with just sandals. If they got too muddy, I just stepped into a fountain with them on, and continued walking.

It's good to see a lot of different combos that work for different people, so you can try different options while you train.

For me, the key to no blisters in 540 miles was to remove my shoes and socks AT EVERY BREAK to dissipate heat and stretch the feet. I carried 3 pairs of SmartWool socks, so the washed pair could dry on my pack. (I tried the Vaseline idea, but hated that goop.) And I made sure my boots had a sufficient toe box.

But who really knows? Maybe I was just lucky, and maybe that same system under different terrain/weather circumstances would result in a blister.

My advice: figure out how to walk as comfortably as you can, realize you will become uncomfortable at times, and then adjust and accept.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any advice would be appreciated
You have received enough suggestions to keep you busy by trial and error over many many km of walking! The only suggestion you did not get was to use cotton socks. So, don't even consider them.

this is a subject that sometimes can be over analysed
It is not common for me to agree with this, but on this occasion I do.

It's good to see a lot of different combos that work for different people, so you can try different options while you train.
That's the best advice.

I walked the Camino Francais in 2014 wearing merino wool socks and had blisters on every toe. In 2015 I wore Injinki toe socks and another pair of thin socks over them and was blister free.

Just a quick word on socks this is a subject that sometimes can be over analysed here is my solution after losing four toe nails and and the skin of both heels on my first Camino which I put down to wrong socks (Double Lined ). I was determined for the same not to happen 2016 and can say it worked for me.

Firstly bought nearly every type of sock available (Such was my deperation) i.e. Thousand Miles (Cut of my circulation to the point my feet turned blue) Rejected.. Smart socks ( To hot for summer).. Rejected etc... Finally settled on Marino wool worked out grand.

My biggest revelation that ended my Camino with no feet problems was to change from hiking boots to Keen Newport H2 half shoe half sandle which were ideal, (For me) lots of air circulating and comfortable, they lack a bit of ankle support but the comfort factor outweighed that problem.

I had dreadful blisters too related to hithi

MickMac I think I will try and wear the half keen boot next time to keep my feet a bit cooler and hence stop blisters
What type of Merino sock worked well? Thanks Susan

If you get blisters on your toes I have two recommendations: 1) Injinji toe socks to prevent the toes from riding and sliding over each other; and 2) shoes that fit properly and don't bind your toes or smooch them together. The Injinji feel odd at first (but only for a brief time after putting them on), then I don't even notice they are toe socks. I used a thin pair (non-merino) with another thin pair of regular merino socks over. You'll just have to try what seems to work best for you, hopefully before your Camino. I always got blisters on my pinky toes on every long distance hike UNTIL I found the Injinjis. Good luck.

I'm a sock fanatic and have used various configurations of toe socks very successfully and blister free for many years. Not sure where you are located (I'm in Australia) but Injinji Toe Socks website is a good place to start your research. This comparison chart shows you all the different materials, lengths and styles available.
I

Hello, I am planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in Oct 17, so I am reading ahead. My husband and I use toe socks for running half marathons. He finds the Injinji a bit short in the toes and we both love the Japanese brand Tabio. You have to order them via an English website. https://tabio.com/uk/detail/042120021/ (racing run toe sock) or visit Japan :).
They are woven with arch structure and are used in Marathon/Ekiden running alot; however, they are nearly half cotton. Just an alternate thought on toe socks.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I've walked 3 Camino's from St Jean. The first Camino, based on advice, I used a Wigwam merino/silk blend with liner socks. I got blisters on my little toe and heels the first 2 days. I ditched the liners, the blisters healed and I used the blend socks to the end without issue. The second trip, I found the wigwam blend socks were not available anymore so ended up with icebreaker socks and they worked fine, although a bit expensive and my 3 pair were getting quite thin by the end. No blisters other than my little toe, which I now realize is an issue with the way my feet are built and with time and miles, the blister simply hardens and falls off. The last Camino I took 2 pairs of different socks, Wright lined guaranteed no blister socks and Darn Tough , guaranteed no blister, wear forever socks (both recommended by MEC Canada and REI USA). I started with the Wright socks and got blisters after about 15-18km. I changed to the Darn tough socks and that was the end of my problem. I used the wright socks 2 more times and both time got small blisters at about 18km again. Never had a problem with the Darn Tough socks. I also realized that several people that had huge blister problems were all wearing Wright socks. I talked to a person very knowledgeable about hiking and his response was that liner socks are good up to the point where your feet start to sweat then the friction between the liner and the regular sock creates quite a bit of heat causing the skin to blister. Therefore if you are going to use liners, be aware that you may need to change socks part way through the day. The other thing I noticed was that most people that had foot and leg problems including blisters had not done very much long distance training in the gear they were going to do the Camino in. By this I mean at least 4-6 weeks before starting you need to walk in the socks and shoes you are going to use, with a full pack of up to 20 lbs. By going close to the 25km mark a few times doing this, on hills etc., you will find out if your legs have the strength for the distance, if you are going to get blisters and if you have other issues that might crop up on the walk. The Camino is much better if you can get those issues sorted before you start rather than most people who are unprepared and spend the first 2 weeks in agony. I hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
We each tried a different set of socks in our group, and the only one who had NO trouble was my daughter. These are the socks she used, ordered from Walmart in USA: Wrightsock 544 Double Layer TRL Quarter Socks. She hadn't even fully broken in her hiking shoes...
Hope this helps,
Doti

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-4_11-30-36.png
    upload_2016-12-4_11-30-36.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
I would advise toe socks with wool. And an outer layer of quick-dry socks. Also you might consider bigger shoes with a shorter insert. This gives the advantage of keeping your heel back in the shoe and plenty of room in the toes. I did this and walked 125 miles. No blisters!

I had dreadful blisters too related to hithi

MickMac I think I will try and wear the half keen boot next time to keep my feet a bit cooler and hence stop blisters
What type of Merino sock worked well? Thanks Susan

Susan

I can,t honestly remember the exact manufacturer because I tried so many different socks.

All I know it say,s Merino across the toe they were brilliant cool in August 40c and short . May have been Merino smart wool.
Sorry can,t be more specific, the keen H2 shoe made all the difference no rubbing , lots of toe room, just a pity they have a little bit of sideways give , but you tighten the bungi laces well and no prob .

MickMac- How did the Keen's do with wet rocks and mud? Like you, they worked great for me on my 2015 Camino where wet rocks and mud were notably absent . Next year I'll be doing the Norte-Primitivo route where rain is more likely so I 'm a little concerned if they will be grippy enough to be safe.

MickMac- How did the Keen's do with wet rocks and mud? Like you, they worked great for me on my 2015 Camino where wet rocks and mud were notably absent . Next year I'll be doing the Norte-Primitivo route where rain is more likely so I 'm a little concerned if they will be grippy enough to be safe.

I still use my keens 20 k a week it does,nt rain much in Ireland but when it does they perform grand.

I have seen them used crossing a stream so they should be grand on wet rocks.

I still use my keens 20 k a week it does,nt rain much in Ireland but when it does they perform grand.

I have seen them used crossing a stream so they should be grand on wet rocks.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and provide very helpful tips.

I usually wear 3 pairs of socks without blisters. The first layer is thin socks that fit the skin, the second layer is male compression sport socks, the third layer is wool socks. I wash thin socks every day. In addition to socks, comfortable shoes are another crucial factor.

I usually wear 3 pairs of socks without blisters. The first layer is thin socks that fit the skin, the second layer is male compression sport socks, the third layer is wool socks. I wash thin socks every day. In addition to socks, comfortable shoes are another crucial factor.

Thank you for taking time to reply; that's the wonderful part of this forum. . members willing to help other members.

A quick tip, in case you did not know, is to look at the date of the post you are replying to. In this case, the thread dates back to 2016. Sometimes posting a response is purposeful as an addendum. For many of us, we respond to older threads that are listed as older threads, thinking that they are recent postings. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back