• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks and jocks

Mikamark

Time of past OR future Camino
In July 2017 I will walk the Portuguese Camino
Any advice on socks and jocks for a man walking in mid summer?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I looked after my nether-regions in the following way:
Socks : 'Smart Wool' from Cotswold Outdoor. £14
Jocks: 'Rab' Dry-flo -most major outlets/online. £25
Can fully endorse both products to keep you cool and easy to wash & dry!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Personally, I love cotton in summer.
Both socks AND jocks.
I'm not well placed to comment on a woman's preferences in underwear. I'm glad that you find cotton works for you. Speaking as a man who presumably has different issues to contend with in that department I can say that I have had far more pain and come much closer to abandoning a camino because of chafing in the groin than I ever have from blisters. These days I avoid cotton underwear entirely and either wear close-fitting synthetic fabrics (very light lycra cycle shorts work well) or the type of baggy sports shorts which have a sewn-in mesh support for my pink dangling parts: this prevents the unpleasant side-effects of having aforementioned parts constantly bouncing up and down as I walk and also aids in ventilation so reducing sweat and chafing.

As for socks, many swear by synthetics such as "Coolmax," but the overall consensus of opinion seems to be Merino wool. I wore Smartwool brand on the Camino, but any major brand that contains at least 75% (or higher) merino wool seem to work equally well. I've lately been wearing these from REI and have been happy with them: https://www.rei.com/product/712784/rei-co-op-lightweight-merino-wool-hiking-crew-socks . The choice of whether or not to use sock liners should be made after walking with and without them on training hikes. If you use them, be sure they are of the wicking type.

As for underwear, I wore quick-drying, synthetic boxer briefs which gave me adequate support for those important body parts without tight seams to cause chafing in the groin area: https://www.rei.com/product/862585/rei-co-op-boxer-briefs-mens. Other manufacturers and dealers sell similar boxer briefs, but be sure to get non-cotton, quick-drying types which will wick away moisture while you're walking and will dry quickly since you'll be washing them every night and they need to be dry before the next morning, whether you hing them outdoors in the sunshine, under cloudy skies, or from the frame of your bunk bed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I approached walking the Camino the same way I approached going on a run, (that is socks and jocks wise.) ;)
I wore synthetic, thin running socks (double them up if need be two layers) and synthetic, long (9" inseam, pouch-no exit/fly) compression type tech briefs.
They are affordable, easy to wash, dry fast and I had no real blister or jock chafe problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Avoid cotton for both. Holds the sweat and can lead to massive chafing. Bad enough on the feet but I hope I don't have to explain how much worse it can be elsewhere.
Thanks, I am no0w looking into meriono wool as i do not like synthetics.

I normally go with microfiber for underwear - comfortable, dries quickly, weighs nothing - and my favourite normal socks for feet. I do not have any "camino specific" stuff, except for my sleeping liner, as I prefer not to risk wearing something unknown in a long walk. i go with things i have at home and I know that I feel comfortable wearing the entire day.

Uniqlo have synthetic boxer shorts, called AIRism, very light, dry in an instant, comfortable and inexpensive - a third the price of Ex Officio

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jocks; bamboo/nylon blend.

Socks; I now usually wear Bridgedale.
Hi AJ - I'm another one who really likes Bridgedale socks ... they're brilliant ... I've purchased two pairs of their Wool Fusion Ultra Light Women's socks for my Meseta walk (maybe more if the leg's OK) in June, plus Saint Mike II donated a pair of Injinji mid-weight socks to me - they were too small for him. That's my quota of socks for the Meseta.
Undies ... 3 pairs of Kathmandu merino ones, a gift a couple of years back from my dear friend Suzie at Culburra.
Cheers - Jenny

I'm not well placed to comment on a woman's preferences in underwear. I'm glad that you find cotton works for you. Speaking as a man who presumably has different issues to contend with in that department I can say that I have had far more pain and come much closer to abandoning a camino because of chafing in the groin than I ever have from blisters. These days I avoid cotton underwear entirely and either wear close-fitting synthetic fabrics (very light lycra cycle shorts work well) or the type of baggy sports shorts which have a sewn-in mesh support for my pink dangling parts: this prevents the unpleasant side-effects of having aforementioned parts constantly bouncing up and down as I walk and also aids in ventilation so reducing sweat and chafing.

Yup.
We're made differently, and for MOST (not all) women, a major issue is a yeast infection that can be brought on by holding in moisture with synthetics.
Most good women's underwear has at least a cotton crotch.
Mesh sounds good for either, though I have no bouncy parts in that area. :p

I prefer marino wool hiking socks. In South Afrika is a brand called Falke which is very good quality. I will see how they last on the camino.
For underwear I use lycra gym tights instead of normal underwear. I will take three pairs on the camino this year and they dry very quickly.
In my early twenties I did compulsory military service and I was in an Infantry unit. We use run and walk most of the time. Most of the troops had problems with chafing and the best solution was avoid wearing underwear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't know about South Africa or the USA but in the UK that is often called "going commando" :)
It's called the same in the US military. My Army Ranger husband proudly shares this fact with everyone. He always goes commando. TMI, but he says it works better than any underwear.

I prefer merino wool socks even in the summer. Most high quality merino wool socks are a combination of merino wool and synthetic material. I suggest making sure the merino content is at least 75%. I do not wear liner socks, just one pair of medium weight merino wool socks. Good brands of merino wool socks available in the U.S.A. are Smartwool, Darn Tough, Bridgedale and the REI store brand.
I wear Ex Officio boxer briefs year round. They are the best for hiking in my opinion. I am a man btw.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.