• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks and shoes - on the Frances in June.

steppingpono

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Meseta & Los Campos 2015
Portuguese 2016
Sjpdp - Burgos 2017
Heading out on the Frances 1st June for a few weeks - this is aimed at anyone on it right now or with past experience of summer walking...

I was thinking I could simply use my Lowa Renegade Hiking boots(which have served me so well - minimal blisters and great sole & ankle support etc) but I have read through so many suggestions and now I am concerned about my feet getting way too hot! I really trust in my Lowas but ...
Stories of dumping hot hiking boots midway. Folk are suggesting Keen sandals and /or light runners(no ankle support on downhills for me) - because of heat and foot sweat - more blisters!
Will my boots be too hot?
Last year in April I used Glide religiously every morning before putting on my socks(instead of Vaseline, Glide comes in a great applicator and isnt as gooey ) - then thin nylon socks under Smart wool socks ....then in May I dropped the nylon inner and only used the Smart wool (my feet felt much cooler) - I had a few blisters but nothing awful that a needle and thread some Germolene and a Compeed plaster couldn't fix.
Is there much difference between May and June?
Should I change my morning foot routine? Are the thin nylon socks of any use?
Should I change my wool socks for something else - if so what do you suggest?
I think I have left it too late to change my shoes :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone is different, but personally I like trail runners or lightweight hiking shoes, either one non-waterproof and thin, synthetic running type socks.
I had almost no blisters (just small ones on the outside of both little toes, turned to callous) on either Camino. Also, I massaged my feet a lot and rubbed Vaseline on them and gave them cold soaks when I could.
Personally I wouldn't wear heavy, leather hiking boots during the summer.
cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What Mark, Annie, Gerard, Viranani and Bystander said...
(Sorry; couldn't help myself...It was too fun not to keep the circle going!)

Here's how you don't get blisters:
Walk 10 minutes.
Stop at bar/cafe. Take off boots and socks. Drink cafe con leche. Rest for an hour.
Put books and socks back on. Begin walking again.

Repeat every 80 minutes.

You'll never get to where you are going, and/or you will be on the Camino for a very long time, but you'll be well caffeinated and will be able to give really good reviews on all of the places to stop. Oh and you will not experience one single blister. :D:p;)

But seriously...
I think it depends on how long you walk in a day and what kind of surface you walk on. On the Camino Frances in Oct/Nov, I wore Keen boots with a variety of (wool, silk) sock combinations and blister aids: I got blisters. Lots of walking surface types. On the Camino Portuguese the following Oct/Nov, I wore sports/hiking sandals with a variety of looks--no socks, socks, two socks and blister aids: I got blisters. Lots of types of walking surfaces but a great deal of asphalt roads to contend with.

I think the way to go is to be aware of your feet as they go--stop every 10 km +/-, change your socks and air out your feet if you wear boots or the oh so chi chi socks and sandals look. Or just air out your feet, if you go with just sandals. That is what I learned in Joyce Rupp's book (Walk In A Relaxed Manner); she claimed that she and her friend never got blisters by following this method.

You also have to really really stay on top of the hydration. Drink lots and drink often. I'm talking about water here! :)

Thanks PEI Heather - I like the every "ten km plan " - I do that instinctively. I am walking at the moment in my lowa boots that I know well and that know me well! - and that deliver my ankles down rocky paths and hills - In socks of all textures - and I have blisters but so do the folks in other shoes - they heal eventually and yay for the folks without them!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back