• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks colours - not a serious thread

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
I usually go on camino with pairs of socks that match the colours of the t-shirts I wear. Usually pink, blue and yellow, to make selection easier each day (I just alternate between the colour sets).

But I was in need of new socks and saw some 'white' ones on special at Decathlon. Or so I thought, as the colour as called ´linen´ and the photo was very light. They were really cheap, so I got two pairs. White socks would probably get dirty and stained really quickly on the camino, but I'm not there to impress anyone and as long as I wash them, it would be fine.

Turns out the socks arrived today and I don´t have to worry about it. They already came in "End of camino" colour! Or maybe it's the "35km day" tone?

I can´t stop laughing at my naturally dirt looking brand new socks!

PS: despite the horrid look, they are super comfy :D If you also have "special camino socks", post away!

Attachments

• 20210111_143142.jpg
    20210111_143142.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did my CF with the camino model from wrightsocks. Those with the little shell stitched into them.
Most of the time i liked them just well, but they were a little bit on the warm side.

At the end of the camino i had a serious need for colored clothing. After close to six weeks, i just could not bear to spend another day in dark greens, blues, grays... colors that dont look dirty so quickly.

My next camino, i will be wearing more colors, thats for sure. Thankfully wrightsocks is doing their part and making this easy. I now own two new pairs, slightly less warm, and in bright orange and bright green :)

The next debate will be, do you wear them pulled up high, folded over or pushed down?!!
Long pants tucked in or out?!!
Some of these things worry a few people.

My favorite Camino "go to" socks have always been Wigwam's in gray. This pair have been on three caminos and still have quite a bit of wear left so I am trying to finish them off on local trails...so far no luck.🙂
Edit- I brought a pair of Ininji toe socks "just in case" of blisters, but never needed to use them.
IMG_20210111_063235570.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The next debate will be, do you wear them pulled up high, folded over or pushed down?!!
Long pants tucked in or out?!!
Some of these things worry a few people.
For this girl who likes to look her best and classy at all times
I tend to go for "The Dogs Dinner" ensemble!
And believe me, I'm not joking here.

I have 3 odd hiking socks - their partners took "leave of absence" during laundry - completely AWOL can you believe! Unable to bring myself to part with these 3 (happy and distance memories) Reading this thread I have had a flash of inspiration, I will bring them and ear them on my next Camino - sorry for the typo. In the spirit of this thread I have left it so, I did of course mean 'where'! --)

I love the idea of matching socks and tee shirts. I saw a woman on the Portugues who had pink shirt, pink hat and pink socks. She looked fabulous. Here are mine.View attachment 91012
Love this! Jill, you introduced me to Chacos on this forum! I love them!! I did the Portuguese in them wearing injinji socks (five toes). My conundrum for a future Camino will be going back into closed toed shoes in order to wear a 3/8” lift in my right shoe! Who knew that nearly age 70 that my right leg was that much shorter...creating a torque in my spine! I wore the Chacos to escape toe rubbing.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like to end my Camino's to end at Finisterre (or Muxia). As you might know, it's a good (?) custom to burn something you wore. But burning shoes, socks, t-shirt and so on is just to expensive. I'm used to wearing quality boots and garments, so these last longer than a Camino.

The cheapest part of my outfit would be my underwear. But after having worn them for a couple of weeks I'm being reluctant to throw them into a fire. It might cause an explosion or some kind of poisonous fumes...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favorite Camino "go to" socks have always been Wigwam's in gray. This pair have been on three caminos and still have quite a bit of wear left so I am trying to finish them off on local trails...so far no luck.🙂
Edit- I brought a pair of Ininji toe socks "just in case" of blisters, but never needed to use them.
View attachment 91018
Love wigwam grey. I only have one pair left. Living in Mexico I can't find them so I have been wearing the smart wool variety. Still love the feel of the wigwam's the best and they hold up great.

I like to end my Camino's to end at Finisterre (or Muxia). As you might know, it's a good (?) custom to burn something you wore. But burning shoes, socks, t-shirt and so on is just to expensive. I'm used to wearing quality boots and garments, so these last longer than a Camino.

The cheapest part of my outfit would be my underwear. But after having worn them for a couple of weeks I'm being reluctant to throw them into a fire. It might cause an explosion or some kind of poisonous fumes...
Please, Please PLEASE do not burn your clothes. The burning of clothes has started fires and add to pollution and are a blight to the environment. It is also illegal now. So please if you do not want your clothes dispose of them properly.

Please read this, it comes from ELCamino Con Correos. It will give you the do's and don't of your time in Fisterra. At the top of the list of Don'ts is burning your clothes:

Because of an orthopedic injury to one ankle, I had the "opportunity" to wear different socks on each foot, vastly increasing the number of colors I would wear. The injured foot sported a medical-grade (boring) compression sock, covered by a Darn Tuff sock, and the un-injured foot had an Injinji toe sock covered by a (thinner) Smartwool sock, so that both my feet could wear the same size walking shoe. I'm still a believer in two sock layers, although I wonder if this is a hold-over from the 1970's and 1980's when wool hiking socks were all too scratchy to wear against the skin, any thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 91018
I used the uninhibited toe socks on the cf and must have walked around 459km in them. Super comfy and no blisters around toes (just one on ball of foot, so happy). Think the idea is to wear the toe socks to prevent you getting blisters, not once you have them.

I love the idea of matching socks and tee shirts. I saw a woman on the Portugues who had pink shirt, pink hat and pink socks. She looked fabulous. Here are mine.View attachment 91012
Hi Jillgat
Right foot. centre spot.
Do you get your feet checked for melanoma?
The reason I ask is the centre spot looks similar to a mark I had on my back which had to be removed.
Hope I haven’t offended by asking.
Cheers
Graham

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When walking I wear double layer socks to reduce the development of blisters. These socks have a thin inside layer and a thicker outside layer.
As for colour, does it matter?
How they smell might be more important 😂

Awesome socks, Turga. The only negative for me is because they are so long they would eventually create a "farmer's tan" on my legs if wearing shorts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks like you wear chacon. I wear them too, but need your feedback on wearing them on Camino Frances. Wear w/socks? Wear in all types of weather? Terrain? Any concerns with wearing them for many miles in one day and many days? Thank you.

€83,-
Having had various items of clothing misappropriated by fellow pilgrims by mistake post laundry, I do my best now to bring unpopular or weird colors socks and clothing. It was absolutely no fun to find one of my only two pairs of pants gone, or one of my two pairs of undies, or socks disappear into thin air. All that actually happened.

It was very unpleasant to have to beg my unwilling fellow pilgrims to look through their collected laundry. One guy refused to look repeatedly and finally agreed grudgingly at my unceasing pestering. As he was going through his collected laundry and repeatedly saying "see, I don't have your sock", my missing black sock fell out of his folded black T shirt.

Since I switched to weird colors, it has not happened again.

I love my Icebreaker T's but I hate to pay full up-front price (even if it is good value), so I get them on deep sale from places that carry previous years' editions. That means I end up with less popular colours, but I'm fortunate that all my less popular stuff has given me a monochrome teal/green/blue uniform that I can pull off with my colouring.

So: my t-shirts are all Icebreaker. My fleece for evenings came from Harrican shop in Astoria in 2014 and is from an EU brand: Trespass.

My bottoms are almost all from a Canadian company: Lolë. They make nice water resistant trousers that provide a good wind-break and also look respectable at supper, and have an adjustable elastic in the ankle cuff that prevents stones getting on one's boots.

This past year I bought 2 hiking skirts: one for cold weather over merino tights -- from Icebreaker -- it's quilted and keeps the butt warm without over-heating legs. For summer, and Outdoor Research short that can do super quick-dry if one gets caught in a summer cloud-burst.

Winter 2019 I took my Lolë packable down jacket with me.

Socks and underwear, including bras: always Icebreaker.

I like: soft, flexible, durable, breathable, quick drying. And I like to get many years of wear out of my things. If I really love something, I will get a few pairs and maybe more than one size. I have 4 jackets -- 2 in size small, 2 in size XS. Whichever size I am in the cold season, I put the other size away, and rotate the 2 jackets through laundry. Full price that would be $600 in jackets, but I bought each on such deep discount that I've spent only $240 in total on them.

For those buying in Canadian dollars and looking for deals, I recommend: Altitude Sports, The Last Hunt, and Atmosphere Sports. All online... all deliver.

Also -- my running/hiking gloves from Decathalon are really warm, fit nicely and are the best I have for using my tech devices with them on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back