• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks (i hate cold feet)

Bridiepie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese Planned
Hi all,

I'm doing my first Camino this year.
Starting mid April.
From Porto to Santiago.
I'm going to do part coastal and part inland.
I really want to see Ponte de Lima, Vigo & Tui so I'll do a route that works that.
I'm going to wear trail runners.
Will I need thick or light socks?
I've had a look at the weather I think my light aasics running socks should do.
I don't want to risk cold feet so I said I'd check with this forum.
So much knowledge on here!
Thanks in advance,
Brid

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Whether you use thick or thin socks depends somewhat on your shoes, and how much room you have for socks.
You could try some lightweight merino wool socks, which tend to keep your feet warmer when they get wet.

I am a big fan of thicker socks. Keeping your feet warm has nothing to do with it, it's all about preventing blisters, and having comfortable feet over the long haul. For me at least, a thicker merino sock with a slightly larger shoe works the charm.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

Starting mid April.
From Porto to Santiago.
I really want to see Ponte de Lima, Vigo & Tui so I'll do a route that works that.
Thanks in advance,
Brid
My feet are always cold. The only socks that keep them warm are known as "Darn Tough" socks. They're thick, but their comfortable and do the trick. Company states that if you damage a pair, you send them the damaged pair and they will replace it for free.

I've debated The Great Sock Issue myself (both for my upcoming Camino and for hiking in general) and have settled on two types of Darn Tough socks: I will start out wearing a midweight sock for the first part of my day, then switch out to a lighter weight sock after lunch/midday as my feet swell over the course of my walk. I buy them in different colors (and sometimes ankle heights) so I can easily keep track of which is which. Along with judicious use of Vaseline or other anti-chafing ointment before each change, this system has so far kept my feet warm, comfortable, and blister free.

Edit: @Anthony18 and I both seem to have been posting about Darn Tough socks at the same time! They really are the best quality socks I've found and their lifetime guarantee + customer service are second to none.

Last edited:
I’ll be walking in mid-April too from Porto. I’ve opted for mid weight merino wool socks. I’m also bringing one pair of liners and a lighter sock to sleep in. 4 pr total. I hate cold feet!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've debated The Great Sock Issue myself (both for my upcoming Camino and for my hiking in general) and have settled on two types of Darn Tough socks: I will start out wearing a midweight sock for the first part of my day, then switch out to a lighter weight sock after lunch/midday as my feet swell over the course of my walk. I buy them in different colors (and sometimes ankle heights) so I can easily keep track of which is which. Along with judicious use of Vaseline or other anti-chafing ointment before each change, this system has so far kept my feet warm, comfortable, and blister free.

Edit: @Anthony18 and I both seem to have been posting about Darn Tough socks at the same time! They really are the best quality socks I've found and their lifetime guarantee + customer service are second to none.
I actually did my camino with "Wright" socks due to the fact that they're quick dry and I didn't know at the time about the Darn Tough brand. Don't think the Darn Tough are quick dry, but if you bring enough pairs then it shouldn't be an issue. I too agree with using Vaseline to avoid blisters. I did and it worked.

I've found the shoe matters just as much. For cold weather I haven't found anything more toasty and dry than the Keen REVEL series, but I know it doesn't fit everyone.
You might consider toe-warmers in your shoes? little hot packs....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your skin-sock-shoe combination is very individual and important, so you need to experiment at home. You might decide to take a couple of extra socks or a couple of different types, and consider leaving some behind in an albergue box if you find you don't like or need them.

I am generally a fan of thin socks, but it also depends on the fit of the shoe. Contrary to the experience of others, I occasionally get blisters on the bottom of my feet when I wear thick socks.

I hate cold feet, too, but find that it isn't much of a problem while walking, if my feet are dry or if the temperature is above about 5C. Normally I wear a lightweight synthetic sock, but for walking in chilly rain, I would wear merino wool. I prefer the lightest weight (no cushion) Darn Toughs, and they dry quite quickly. I have also taken advantage of their lifetime guarantee.

So, you can conclude that there is no simple answer. You just need to test different socks with your shoes, and that means walking 20 km in them.

I’ll be walking in mid-April too from Porto. I’ve opted for mid weight merino wool socks. I’m also bringing one pair of liners and a lighter sock to sleep in. 4 pr total. I hate cold feet!
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by a pair of liners?

I've found the shoe matters just as much. For cold weather I haven't found anything more toasty and dry than the Keen REVEL series, but I know it doesn't fit everyone.
You might consider toe-warmers in your shoes? little hot packs....
Oh toe warmers I like the sound of that

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh toe warmers I like the sound of that

They do work! But you have to make sure you size your shoes to accommodate them. An alternative would be just to put them in your boots when you are taking your rest stops, and otherwise have them in your pockets. That would warm your toes, heat the inside of your shoes etc.
That said, I walked an unusually cold and wet November on the Portuguese and never had cold feet (and I generally have cold feet!!!). I try to carry one thick, one mid and one light weight wool sock. Darn Tough, Smartwool, Icebreaker... all good.
And like I said: the Keen Revel boot -- because it has a thicker sole to prevent cold radiating up from surfaces, and it has a merino insole.
I've been hiking for 4 or 5 winters in that model now. Always dry, never cold...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think you will have to worry about cold feet and doubt you'll be experiencing overly cold weather. Wear whatever socks keep your feet blister free. That is far more important.

Hi all,

Starting mid April.
From Porto to Santiago.
Thanks in advance,
Brid
Hello Brid, I have no experience of running or running footwear.

I have remained blister free over 5 Caminos and here is my plan.
I wear snug fitting Bridgedale liner socks (mostly Coolmax ones, but sometimes the ones called Thermal). These are both hard-wearing synthetic socks which dry very quickly.
Over these I wear a pair of Aldi or Lidl hiking ankle socks. These dry reasonably fast too.
My shoes are larger than my everyday wear.

Also I use Flexitol heel balm (not cream). It is more waxy than Vaseline and was recommended by a chiropodist before my first proper Camino in 2013. It is only necessary to use a tiny amount.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Ena

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What has been really useful for me is wearing a pair of nylon sock liners inside a pair of warm socks of your choice. The liners help wick moisture to the outer sock, and because walking creates friction between skin and a single sock, with a liner the friction is concentrated instead between liner and outer sock, so blisters are less apt to form on your feet. To make a cheap and effective liner, you can cut down a pair of pantyhose to ankle height. I did that at home, and then when I gave those liners away to a fellow pilgrim who had terrible blisters I bought a pair of ladies' ankle-high pantyhose in a Carrion de los Condes supermarket. No blisters, and nicely warm and dry feet (for boots I wore Keen waterproof Targhees).

To make a cheap and effective liner, you can cut down a pair of pantyhose to ankle height.
Or you can buy ankle high nylons.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My feet are always cold. The only socks that keep them warm are known as "Darn Tough" socks. They're thick, but their comfortable and do the trick. Company states that if you damage a pair, you send them the damaged pair and they will replace it for free.
My Darn Tough wool socks have kept my feet warm and blister free - after 5 years of wear and thousands of miles.

Whether you use thick or thin socks depends somewhat on your shoes, and how much room you have for socks.
You could try some lightweight merino wool socks, which tend to keep your feet warmer when they get wet.
Very good point. I always purchase/wear shoes that are 1 (US) size larger than my largest foot (yes, they are different sizes). This gives me sufficient room for adding an extra layer of a foam insert and to wear fully cushioned socks. i also order my shoes in a wide width to accommodate my wide feet. It's been my observation that hikers who get blisters frequently purchase shoes that are too small for them. They do not compensate for extra cushioning or for the fact that your feet swell as you hike and as the day progresses.

As for socks, my favorite are Smartwool brand Full Cushion Performance Socks. I like that they add some extra elasticity to the wool to keep from sagging and bunching up. Darn Tough also makes nice socks but I've standardized on the Smartwool brand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Raynaud's syndrome sufferer here. As long as I was walking, my feet were fine. So evenings and sleep were more of a problem for my first camino. I took a pair of Heat Holders socks just for sleeping on my second camino. Heat Holders were some plastic kind and didn't keep me warm so switched for merinos I used for walking. Also, after the first camino and washed socks not being dry by morning, I took extra pairs on my second one. No cotton, no bamboo, no cheap polyesters or those novelty fluffy ones that only look warm > all of these would lose a lot of warmth and I feel like I have ice packs in my shoes.

Hi all,

Starting mid April.
From Porto to Santiago.
Thanks in advance,
Brid
Trail runners are all you will need. Your feet shouldn’t get cold while walking unless it’s through snow, which I doubt at that time. Walking in rain, feet shouldn’t get cold until stopping. Take a couple pair of thin and medium weight socks and play with configurations. Keep a pair dry for sleeping. Ever try toe socks?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the Camino I have always had good luck with Wigwam hiker socks; they are not wool, but medium thick and have cushy bottoms. I did use a pair of Smartwool thin merino socks locally, but they actually wore out too fast so would not use them on a Camino.
I have a pair of thicker Darn Tough socks and I think they are wool with a nice tight weave. I like them, but they are a bit scratchy and I notice make my feet feel hot in warm weather. I've not yet used them on a Camino.
I have a pair of Injinji toe socks and bring them on Camino, but never have worn them.
Next up, I will try Wright socks, but I still love my few pairs of Wigwams and am trying to wear them out at home to no avail.😅

Last edited:
We multi layer our socks:-
Bridgedale coolmax liner socks (come as a 2 pair pack). I would suggest taking 4 pairs because of washing daily to retain shape and fit.
Corrymoor middle and outer (Sportsman and Companion) ankle high.
Corrymoor socks do not need washing - (see their website) We took 2 pairs of each as it helps if they do get wet or you do want to wash them.
The middle sock takes the wear and feet are warm. No blisters!
As others have said it is the fit that matters most - socks that can wrinkle cause blisters.
Shoe size might need to be a little larger when multi-layering socks but happy feet make happy pilgrims.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Starting mid April.
From Porto to Santiago.
Thanks in advance,
Brid
Buying the right socks and walking shoes/boots for your Camino are critical purchases. Socks, go for a high percentage (70% plus) of merino wool, look at Smartwool, IceBreaker brands or equivalent...and mid weight ( for comfort and cushioning). These brands are more expensive than many, but worth it. I also buy a couple of pairs of very thin polypropulene socks which I wear under my wool socks, after giving my feet a very light coating of vaseline. In four Caminos, I have never had a blister. Take three pair of each, the wool ones take a while to dry in wet/damp weather.

I know a lot of people think they’re weird, but I had 2 pairs of Injinji toe socks I alternated between (one in Nuwool, one in Coolmax), and alternated 2 pairs of Darn Tough medium cushioning merino hiking socks over them in my Altra Lone Peaks. I bought a pair of the Injinji years ago, and although I didn’t wear them often, I was always surprised that I didn’t notice the extra fabric. After seeing a video (I think it was from Wanderlusting Lawyer) about her success with Injinjis, I dug them out of the closet and did some training walks. Now, after not getting a single blister with this method, I’ll be sticking with it for the future.

€60,-
Hello all! I don’t know if this has been asked, but how do you keep your feet from getting wet when it rains? I am walking CF March/April and I am certain it will rain. I have rain gear but nothing that protects the shoes. Gaiters only cover ankle area. Trail runners are not waterproof….so how do I keep my feet from getting wet from the rain?
Thanks all!

Hello all! I don’t know if this has been asked, but how do you keep your feet from getting wet when it rains? I am walking CF March/April and I am certain it will rain. I have rain gear but nothing that protects the shoes. Gaiters only cover ankle area. Trail runners are not waterproof….so how do I keep my feet from getting wet from the rain?
Thanks all!
This has been asked many, many times. The short answer is: your feet will get wet. Even so called waterproof or gortex shoes will only reduce the extent, eventually the water finds its way in. Get over it. You're not made of sugar, you won't dissolve.

The best strategy is to have good wool socks that won't become too abrasive when wet. Another reason to pay a little more for merino. Do NOT wear cotton socks.....these will be a problem when wet. Your feet will dry naturally with shoes that can breathe......when the rain stops. Some wear sandals, these are the quickest to dry of course. During extended rainy patches, make SURE that you dry your shoes at night by stuffing them with the newspaper that most albergues provide these for this purpose. Taking spare socks and changing them every few hours with dry ones out of my pack works for me.

A few people swear by waterproof socks. I find these ensure that my feet are always wet from my own perspiration. You are right about expecting rain during a spring walk. There is no need to fear this, it's all part of the experience.

Buen Camino

This has been asked many, many times. The short answer is: your feet will get wet. Even so called waterproof or gortex shoes will only reduce the extent, eventually the water finds its way in. Get over it. You're not made of sugar, you won't dissolve.

The best strategy is to have good wool socks that won't become too abrasive when wet. Another reason to pay a little more for merino. Do NOT wear cotton socks.....these will be a problem when wet. Your feet will dry naturally with shoes that can breathe......when the rain stops. Some wear sandals, these are the quickest to dry of course. During extended rainy patches, make SURE that you dry your shoes at night by stuffing them with the newspaper that most albergues provide these for this purpose. Taking spare socks and changing them every few hours with dry ones out of my pack works for me.

A few people swear by waterproof socks. I find these ensure that my feet are always wet from my own perspiration. You are right about expecting rain during a spring walk. There is no need to fear this, it's all part of the experience.

Buen Camino
Thank you! Love the idea of being made of sugar. 😂 My merino wool socks have been good to me so far. I like the idea of changing socks every few hours and drying out my shoes over night. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.