• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks nightmare, please help!

2Santos

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2014
Hi everyone! I have probably searched and read every thread on here about socks and now feel even more confused ! ))

I have decided against double-layer socks and not so sure about coolmax liner+wool option.

I do a fair bit of hiking, but nothing close to the Camino intensity. My trip will take place in mid-June, and I have a trusted pair of hiking shoes.

Is it ok/how many people wear just one pair of normal hiking socks (light to medium thick, 40-60% wool etc)?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I followed the advice to wear merino hiking socks and liners last year. I did get blisters - a recurrence of the one I picked up on my heel during training and many additional ones. My feet also felt very 'bunched up' under my toes about halfway through a day's walk, although my socks were still smooth. I probably decided to stop wearing two layers about the same time that my blisters healed, and my feet had hardened up - between two and three weeks. But I think this was coincidence.

This year I have new boots and have worn only single socks, 70+% merino Smart Wool mid weight. With experience I have purchased 'mini' socks because I did not like excess length. These come just above the level of my mid-height boots. No blisters so far in training, including some 25+ km walks.

You can only know what is best for you through experience, so if one pair works for you under normal circumstances and in training, then stick with that. And be sure to take some good quality tape with you so that you can protect any hot spots or vulnerable areas.

I commence my camino Portuguese in less than two weeks, so will soon find out whether or not I have got it right.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to bring along a liner and see how it goes. Do you hike long distances? Are your shoes well broken in? Only you can say whether or not one or two socks is needed. The most important thing is that your feet stay dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do a fair bit of hiking, but nothing close to the Camino intensity. My trip will take place in mid-June, and I have a trusted pair of hiking shoes.

Eh?

If you do a fair bit of hiking your normal stuff is likely more then good enough.

Lots of socks and lots of sock combinations have worked for pilgrims. The secret is to test properly before you are on the camino. Once you are there, your options are limited. It will be difficult to acquire new boots, new socks, and settle on a combination, particularly if you have already developed blisters from having the wrong boots and socks. Socks and boots is one area of discovery ill suited to the Camino. Know before you go!

I always use two layers and have gotten only one blister from hiking in my entire life, and it was on a 20 mile training hike for the camino and showed up about mile 17. I got none on my Camino.
I also "prepped" my feet in three ways:
  • I soaked my feet in very strong hot tea for about 45 minutes weekly for the 6 weeks prior to the Camino. The tannin in the tea are supposed to harden your skin. (But note also that the only blister I got came during my time of doing this, so take it for what its worth.)
  • I rubbed 100% lanolin on my feet nightly for a month before leaving for the Camino. This is supposed to make your skin less susceptible to moisture. I do it just before going to bed so the lanolin will be absorbed into the skin.
  • I tried rubbing Tincture of Benzoine on my feet, but this liquid is very sticky and I am not sure how much benefit it provided.
The #1 practice I always hear about is coating feet with petroleum jelly daily. Personally I think it sounds gross, but so many live by this that it must work.
I do think the two layers of socks reduces friction. I would go with thinner socks in order to have two pair before I would just wear one, but that is because I have always had this work. The 1000 mile socks that have a liner built in do the same thing. I would be interested in if anynoe has issues with them drying on the Camino. Having liners and socks to air out seems like they would dry faster due to more surface area than a single "combo" sock.

But I will also say that your feet react differently on the second 15kms of your day than they do on the first 15kms, so if you do not try walking a 20+ km day to see if you get a blister, you may not realize it until you are on the camino. I think this happens to many people and then you are mitigating the issue the rest of the trip. When I did get my blister, it at least gave me a good sense of where to pay attention while I was in Spain so that I could prevent a blister if I had any feeling of a hotspot showing up.

Rambler

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone! I have probably searched and read every thread on here about socks and now feel even more confused ! ))

I have decided against double-layer socks and not so sure about coolmax liner+wool option.

Is it ok/how many people wear just one pair of normal hiking socks (light to medium thick, 40-60% wool etc)?
When I was preparing for my Camino (walked the Camino Frances last September and October 2013), I read the forums for endless advise on socks and eventually saw a reference to 1000 Mile FUSION socks from England. Lots of people jumped on that discussion bandwagon and I decided to try a pair. Then I bought three more pairs. Sent a pair to my daughter on the Patagonia trail, who, after her tried and true sock formula and well-broken in boots, found herself with LOADS of blisters. She wore the 1000 Mile Fusion socks on the Annapurna circuit and proclaimed them a "f*&^ing lifesaver".

I got not one blister on my Camino, not one. I'll never use another kind of socks again. That's just my experience, and these ARE double layer socks, but I took back all the other socks I had purchased from REI, etc., and thanked Amazon for being the conduit between the UK sock company and my front door (and my feet). I would not have wanted to wear one layer of socks on the camino unless my shoes were sandals.

I wore the smart wool PhD socks and did not get blisters. But I tried several brands and combinations before settling on
the PhD brand. As Falcon said above, make sure you have tried out socks well ahead of leaving for the Camino.
From a physical standpoint, I think the most important thing in your Camino preparation is the right socks and shoes
for your feet. Happy feet a happy pilgrim makes.

I've done both.
A person just has to figure out what's best for them.
It's like the boots/trainers question or the sleeping bag/liner question.
Everyone is different.

I usually begin with a pair of Smartwool over liners until my feet swell (usually the 2d-3d day).
Then it depends on the weather.
I also generally wear the combo when it's cold and then when it warms up, I just wear one pair.
In summer heat, I've even gone to wearing one pair of cheap China store cotton socks.

Do what feels best for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As we were training in the months before the Camino, I evaluated many combinations of socks and liners. I ended up wearing medium weight merino wool socks (both Smartwool and Powersox brands), plus some ladies ankle-high nylons that for liners. I tried polypropylene and silk liners, but settled on the nylon because the were extremely lightweight, wicked as well as polypro or silk, worked well to isolate friction between my feet and my boots, and they were free -- my wife had a whole box of them in her dresser drawer. However, I should add that my wife wore lightweight, ankle high WigWam synthetic socks without liners. We both applied a liberal coat of Gold Bond "Friction Defense" -- http://goldbond.com/friction-defense.html -- on our feet every morning before we started walking. Neither of us experienced any blisters for our entire 6 weeks on the Camino Francés.

This next bit of advice has nothing to do with socks, but it does pertain to feet, so I feel it's relevant to any discussion of socks, boots, and foot care. It concerns tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. If you have even a hint of these conditions, have your feet evaluated before you leave and get a pair of orthodic inserts to support your arches. This can be done by a professional or by the self-serviced machines that can be found at many stores that sell high-end running and hiking shoes, and even at most Walmarts. Once you start developing symptoms of these conditions, the only real solution is rest: getting off and staying off your feet -- not a practical solution if you're well into the Camino. I started feeling symptoms of plantar fasciitis around Leon, and being too stubborn (or stupid), I failed to address the issue and limped, at times hobbled) the last 300 km into Santiago in level 8 or 9 pain. It still bothers me at times, six months after completing the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Jim

When you find out what socks works for you and you train in them, get some brand new socks right before you leave. I guarantee the "training socks" will break down when you are on the Camino.

During many Caminos and other hiking times I have been wearing MICO socks: the left one with "L", the right one with "R" (seems logic, noo_O) Last year, in Sarria, I needed to buy an extra pair and found a similar type in a local sports shop. When I unwrapped the socks in the albergue, both socks had "L" written in them.:( I rushed back to the shop to sort this out, where the owner started laughing: "L" stands for "Large":eek:.
So the left and right have become "uni-socks".;)
NB: they work out perfectly well.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear cool max liners as socks in hot weather. Ordinary hiking socks otherwise.

I have always worn Injinji liners with medium weight wool hiking socks in July and August with never a blister!

My suggestion is to bring along a liner and see how it goes. Do you hike long distances? Are your shoes well broken in? Only you can say whether or not one or two socks is needed. The most important thing is that your feet stay dry.

I hike about 10-15 km on the weekends and my shoes are ready for the Camino much more than I am :)

Eh?

If you do a fair bit of hiking your normal stuff is likely more then good enough.

My understanding is that I will be walking double to triple of my regular hikes, with few kilos on my back , and doing it day in day out for several weeks.
I am guessing (maybe incorrectly) that my feet and my body will react in a different way.

I always use two layers and have gotten only one blister from hiking in my entire life, and it was on a 20 mile training hike for the camino and showed up about mile 17. I got none on my Camino.
But I will also say that your feet react differently on the second 15kms of your day than they do on the first 15kms, so if you do not try walking a 20+ km day to see if you get a blister, you may not realize it until you are on the camino.

Rambler

Great idea, I will definitely try that!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got not one blister on my Camino, not one. I'll never use another kind of socks again. That's just my experience, and these ARE double layer socks, but I took back all the other socks I had purchased from REI, etc., and thanked Amazon for being the conduit between the UK sock company and my front door (and my feet). I would not have wanted to wear one layer of socks on the camino unless my shoes were sandals.

I read a lot about 1000 Mile socks, but I am afraid in this case I will be stuck with two layers without having the option of removing one. Plus much longer drying time, as some people have mentioned before.

I have always worn Injinji liners with medium weight wool hiking socks in July and August with never a blister!

I was curious about those, are you talking about the ones with 5-toe design?

Last edited:
I wear sandals for all my hikes, wet, muddy or dry, and I just wear ordinary everyday socks.
I've experimented with "hiker" socks, sealskin waterproof socks and even the thin freeby socks you get on the plane and to be honest the only problem I had was with the sealskins which where double layer with gortex in between and they made my feet overheat, result, blister.
So the moral of the story is, put in plenty of practise miles of 20km plus in different socks and see what your feet tell you.

I have hiked two Caminos without getting blisters. Everyone seems to have a different method that works for them. I used thin synthetic socks (Cabela's X4 Tech Mini-Crew Socks) and NB low cut trail shoes (CF) and Keen low cut hiking shoes (CN). However, I think the most important thing was that I religiously applied BodyGlide SkinGlide, a "liquified powder," each morning. It is available at REI and Amazon. One tube will last about 10-14 days. It is expensive. The ingredients are:
Water (Purified), Talc, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Triclosan, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin (Comfrey Root) , Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil, Menthol

http://www.bodyglide.com/products/liquified-powder/

It is important to make sure it contains dimethicone or similar. This substance purportedly incorporates into the skin epidermis and prevents it from rubbing against the dermis, the reason blisters form to start with, especially if your feet get wet or your shoes don't fit correctly. I used non waterproof shoes because they keep my feet cooler. I hiked in September and October when it didn't rain much. I am thinking about using SmartWool socks next time if I can be convinced they dry quickly.

One couple from England who hiked the CF 3 times blister free applied Vaseline every 2-4 hours. It worked for them but seemed too messy for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore thin, lightweight, single layer, synthetic running socks when I did the Camino, and applied Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to my feet and toes every morning before I put them on. Zero blisters.

I wore Lidl hiking socks and one pair of Regatta. As good as they get and very inexpensive. Only got one blister and that was from damage to the footbed. You dont need brand names

Hello!
As the others said, you'll have to find the best sock combination that suit YOUR feet and the temperature when you're walking. I start with 2 pairs worn together, a liner sock plus a smart wool pair.
What I found invaluable though was the tip of using vaseline. It worked for me. When I ran out, I used the 'unguente del peregrino' which you can buy in Spain, good too but... Found it a bit smelly.... In France you can get hold of Nok cream (or through the internet) and it's very good :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unfortunately you need to find out this yourself. Everybody is different. Since you will walk in June, I suppose the main concern is swetting. Wet feet means blisters. Whatever socks or liners you will wear. Just listen to your feet and when you start to feel uncomfortable, take off boots and socks and let them dry. You will loose some time, but gain in distance you can walk.

I've done both.
A person just has to figure out what's best for them.
It's like the boots/trainers question or the sleeping bag/liner question.
Everyone is different.

I have done both too and agree with Annie. My first camino socks were an American brand I bought in Spain. Fairly lightweight, wool/silk mix. They were very good. I then tried the 1000 mile fusion socks. They were good too, but no better than my first pair. My latest are quechua brand bought in Decathlon in Bilbao, very light, marked R and L and they too are fine. I have had blisters in all of these socks, but only minor ones lasting a couple of days. We are all different.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

My husband and I walked from Burgos to Santiago last year and we are heading back this year to complete the first part. I highly recommend Smart Wool PhD socks. We wore them with thin silk liners and did not get one blister. Let's hope I haven't just jinxed myself for this time around. The PhD are the key. I like the liners because they are easy to wash and dry quickly and then there isn't the need to wash the Smart Wool ones as frequently. That's my 2cents.

1 layer, wool. One big contributor to blisters that folks seem to negate or simply blow off is hydration. Here's the rule: Drink BEFORE you get thirsty and then drink MORE..... There are the 2 "Cs" to your pee: Clear and Copious... If it's not, you are on your way yo dehydration and nasty blisters. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. There is nothing to lose... Except water....

As we were training in the months before the Camino, I evaluated many combinations of socks and liners. I ended up wearing medium weight merino wool socks (both Smartwool and Powersox brands), plus some ladies ankle-high nylons that for liners. I tried polypropylene and silk liners, but settled on the nylon because the were extremely lightweight, wicked as well as polypro or silk, worked well to isolate friction between my feet and my boots, and they were free -- my wife had a whole box of them in her dresser drawer. However, I should add that my wife wore lightweight, ankle high WigWam synthetic socks without liners. We both applied a liberal coat of Gold Bond "Friction Defense" -- http://goldbond.com/friction-defense.html -- on our feet every morning before we started walking. Neither of us experienced any blisters for our entire 6 weeks on the Camino Francés.

This next bit of advice has nothing to do with socks, but it does pertain to feet, so I feel it's relevant to any discussion of socks, boots, and foot care. It concerns tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. If you have even a hint of these conditions, have your feet evaluated before you leave and get a pair of orthodic inserts to support your arches. This can be done by a professional or by the self-serviced machines that can be found at many stores that sell high-end running and hiking shoes, and even at most Walmarts. Once you start developing symptoms of these conditions, the only real solution is rest: getting off and staying off your feet -- not a practical solution if you're well into the Camino. I started feeling symptoms of plantar fasciitis around Leon, and being too stubborn (or stupid), I failed to address the issue and limped, at times hobbled) the last 300 km into Santiago in level 8 or 9 pain. It still bothers me at times, six months after completing the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Jim
Now I have an old wives remedy for you - and I am an old wife! 6 years ago I suffered from diagnosed plantar fasciitis and had orthotics made but for 12 months I hobbled everywhere in pain. One day a lady in Rockhampton, Australia, asked me what was wrong. I told her and this was her remedy which worked for me. Every night for 6 months - and I was so desperate I did do it for 2 weeks short of 6 months - you cut an orange in half and juice it. It doesn't matter what you do with the juice. The resultant orange half cup is what you want. That is placed on the heel and secured with bandage - I also put on a plastic bag to save my sheets. Now our son is a scientist and I asked him why it might have worked. His explanation was that it acted as a splint during the night immobilising the heel/ankle area, and he also believed that there was some component in the pith that entered the skin and worked its magic. I started to notice an improvement within 3 months but kept up the routine to make sure. I even did it during an overnight train journey where the man across from me had had quite a few drinks and thought he was seeing things! Sriyantra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our answer is a triple layer.
One pair of Rohan 'Inner and Hot' socks - wash daily. We take 3 pairs, two in pack and one on feet. Weight 25gms per pair
One pair of Corrymoor Sportsman (middle layer)
One pair Corrymoor Companion (Cushion sole - outer layer)
Both Corrymoors hardly need washing - part of the brand recommendation as they are mohair not wool. We wear a set and carry a set.
No blisters, happy feet in good fitting boots.

Thank you for your advice and recommendations! I must admit, I am as confused as before though, as it looks like 1, 2 or 3 layers seem to work great :)
As many of you have mentioned, the only way to find out is to try, so I will do few 25+ km trips in the next few days to see how my feet will react!

I'm wearing smart wool, but not sure what works. Used to walk dark to dark on a sesmic crew carrying up to 90 lb when humping the main line. Never got a blister wearing army surplus boots with cotton sox. Most guys on our walking crew in Texas wore Cowboy boots all day and we walked overland from Carlsbad NM to Del Rio, Texas one summer. But last winter I got numerous blisters walking barefoot on the beach sand in Mexico. My Ex Ranger friend never wears sox for hiking--he claims that ALL sox cause blisters. Wear what works for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must admit, I am as confused as before though, as it looks like 1, 2 or 3 layers seem to work great :)
I will do few 25+ km trips in the next few days to see how my feet will react!

You can start with 3 and peel off a layer each day - I have an old army mate who swears by leather boots with no socks at all - so there's another possibility!

For me, three pairs of socks can save me from blisters. The innermost layer is thin socks (easy to wash and easy to dry), the second layer is male compression type stocks (used to relieve leg fatigue), and the third layer is wool socks. I have tried it a few times and it has worked for me and my leg fatigue has been relieved.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.