• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks with sandals

Tommy Brown

Time of past OR future Camino
French,Portuguese and via de last Plata. Future,primitive norte
I don't wear sandals but am curious, do you wear socks with them?are blisters a problem with no socks? Tommy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Both
I don't wear sandals but am curious, do you wear socks with them?are blisters a problem with no socks? Tommy
Both are options, if you’re content as I am with a crime against fashion.

I don’t walk in sandals but my evening footwear is (are?) Birkenstock EVAS - plastic sandals. Very light and worn with socks if it’s chilly.

Tommy, at home, in Ireland, no. When it is weather for sandals, socks are washed and dried and stored. In Spain, if I am just mooching around, no socks. For serious walking - yes, with sandals.
Let the fashion police take out their notebooks and wet the tips of their pencils...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For the most part, blisters happen when you have ill-fitting foot wear...so socks or no socks make sure your feet don't slide around inside your foot wear thus avoiding friction...excess pressure will cause blisters too but when your feet harden and get used to walking that should ease. So, make sure your sandal, boot or shoe fit well and all will be well...One thing to watch out for though some people believe that wearing socks with sandals is a bit of fashion catastrophe....I'm not sure why this is so or why such a prejudice exists, but it is said and also written.

Tommy, at home, in Ireland, no. When it is weather for sandals, socks are washed and dried and stored. In Spain, if I am just mooching around, no socks. For serious walking - yes, with sandals.
Let the fashion police take out their notebooks and wet the tips of their pencils...
Alas! I have to wear socks with my Tevas, the marching ones that is! The material doesn't agree with my tootsies! They go quite well in the dark tho!

Buen camino

Samarkand.

I dropped boots and shoes years ago and now only wear Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals - the only footwear I have ever worn that after five minutes I am not aware I am wearing them (but the fabric ones, not the leather as the leather is too stiff). I have never had a blister, rain or dry.

I am English so to wear socks with sandals is an utter NO - (it might even be illegal in England 😂) and I would point out that there is no mention of St James or any of the other disciples wearing socks with their sandals -

- but I always take a pair of socks and do wear them in really cold weather or chilly mornings (only in Spain) .. next time I go may take an American flag with me to display when I put socks on so that people won't know I am English 😂😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tevas with socks when it's cold or rainy. Tevas without socks when the weather is good.

The socks also provide some extra cushion and protection for example when there's sand and dust which can lead to chafing after a while.

I've seen people wearing garbage bags as ponchos and plastic shopping bags wrapped around their shoes on rainy days on the camino, so I think sandals in socks shouldn't be the biggest concern for the fashion police ;-)

One thing to watch out for though some people believe that wearing socks with sandals is a bit of fashion catastrophe....I'm not sure why this is so or why such a prejudice exists, but it is said and also written.
Caused, I believe, by the tendency of British males to wear formal black, or even worse, beige socks with open toe sandals although I have seen the odd late-middle aged German male similarly attired.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Under normal circumstances - no - I would never wear socks with my sandals lol! But - the Camino is not normal circumstances. You are putting your feet through a lot of mileage every day for over a month (if you do the longer routes). I love sandals for hiking - but not for long distance hiking. Why? Because when you start putting more mileage on - that is when you rip up your feet with blisters. Wearing socks with sandals can prevent that for most people. So - while I would never NORMALLY wear socks with sandals - if hiking the Camino with them, then I most definitely would and have! Also - my trail running shoes are only worn while hiking town to town. Once I check into my albergue - I switch to my Tevas. While I can certainly usually wear them without socks around town - I find that I am often more comfortable after a long hiking day if I wear them with socks. That - and last year it was cold - so my feet were cold. So again, yes - on the Camino I wear socks with my sandals.

This summer I am walking with my 18 year old daughter who will be mortified the first time she sees me wearing socks with my Tevas haha... how much you want to bet she ends up doing the same after spending some time on the Camino?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I love sandals for hiking - but not for long distance hiking. Why? Because when you start putting more mileage on - that is when you rip up your feet with blisters.
I've not found that to be true at all. In 2019 I walked over 1200 Camino kilometers in hiking sandals with no blisters, including the more "rustic" Camino del Salvador.

And I have met several people who switched to sandals from boots or trail shoes to give their blisterd feet relief.

I've not found that to be true at all. In 2019 I walked over 1200 Camino kilometers in hiking sandals with no blisters, including the more "rustic" Camino del Salvador.

And I have met several people who switched to sandals from boots or trail shoes to give their blisterd feet relief.
This is one where everyone is different. I never blister in my trail shoes and always blister after 5 miles in my sandals without socks - and know a lot of others who experience the same. Doesn't matter which broken in, well fitting sandals I wear!

Let the fashion police take out their notebooks and wet the tips of their pencils..

One thing to watch out for though some people believe that wearing socks with sandals is a bit of fashion catastrophe....I'm not sure why this is so or why such a prejudice exists, but it is said and also written.

At home? Never. On the camino? Yeahhhh..... happy feet is worth the crime against fashion. But when I take selfies I try to keep my feet out of the picture. lol

The fashion police have approved of socks with sandals for quite some time now! I think it’s some of your fellow pilgrims you may have to worry about getting funny looks from :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I were to wear saddles then I would definitely wear socks, don't care what others think, my feet would get blisters without. I would be more concerned about having to keep stopping to remove small stones etc. 👍

I would be more concerned about having to keep stopping to remove small stones

With open sandals I find it easier to remove stones than with boots. With boots I have to stop and take them off. With sandals, I just slightly shake my foot and stones that might have gotten in (which rarely happens at all) fall out again easily.

Have walked thousands of kms with sandals and stones are not really an issue at all.

With open sandals I find it easier to remove stones than with boots. With boots I have to stop and take them off. With sandals, I just slightly shake my foot and stones that might have gotten in (which rarely happens at all) fall out again easily.

Have walked thousands of kms with sandals and stones are not really an issue at all.
With these, you don't get stones in your boots:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I were to wear saddles then I would definitely wear socks, don't care what others think, my feet would get blisters without. I would be more concerned about having to keep stopping to remove small stones etc.
I don't have problems with small stones, happens once every few days, about the same as I get with shoes.
It may depend on your sandal choice though.
And yes I offend the fashion police and wear socks with my sandals.

So... I have been doing my regular walks. 6 miles around the neighborhood and then 17 miles on Sunday . Been switching out my trail runners - no blisters ever. Put on a comfy pair of hiking sandals - only hiked 3 miles the other day - my feet are all ripped up :( I don't know why I even try haha. Happens with Chacos, Tevas, and pretty much any other pair of Sandals without socks - but usually closer to the 5 mile mark.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I were to wear saddles then I would definitely wear socks, don't care what others think, my feet would get blisters without. I would be more concerned about having to keep stopping to remove small stones etc. 👍
If you were to wear a saddle, keeping small stones out of your feet would be something I would be most concerned to do ☺️☺️

I dropped boots and shoes years ago and now only wear Keen Newport H2 trekking sandals - the only footwear I have ever worn that after five minutes I am not aware I am wearing them (but the fabric ones, not the leather as the leather is too stiff). I have never had a blister, rain or dry.

I am English so to wear socks with sandals is an utter NO - (it might even be illegal in England 😂) and I would point out that there is no mention of St James or any of the other disciples wearing socks with their sandals -

- but I always take a pair of socks and do wear them in really cold weather or chilly mornings (only in Spain) .. next time I go may take an American flag with me to display when I put socks on so that people won't know I am English 😂😂
Hi David
I am planning the Camino Norte for late May and have just recently purchased Keen Newport H2 sandals. I was presuming I would wear socks, and if so, what would folks recomend - wool, silk, polyester?

Hi David
I am planning the Camino Norte for late May and have just recently purchased Keen Newport H2 sandals. I was presuming I would wear socks, and if so, what would folks recomend - wool, silk, polyester?
Wear whichever socks are comfortable for you, and will dry overnight (or faster) on the clothesline.
I usually wear WrightSocks double layer socks with my sandals, but occasionally wear merino wool socks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.