• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks

Ditte

Hi :grin: Usually I only west merino wool socks, but if I dere to seat an innersock, whst material should they be ? Soon to walk the Primativo, Wiiii :grin:. Thanks in advance...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Ditte,
I have wear Bridgedale Coolmax Liners with Bridgedale Wool socks and find them excellent.
Buen Camino
Colin

colinPeter said:
Hola Ditte,
I have wear Bridgedale Coolmax Liners with Bridgedale Wool socks and find them excellent.
Buen Camino
Colin
Me too. Love them. Had no problems with them at all.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been using the Horizon Coolmax liner with a variety of outer socks, including wool, synthetic and blends. I also do some preventative taping between my large and next toe on one foot where I have blistered in the past, and where a liner sock doesn't provide any protection.

Sv: Socks

Thank you so much for all the fine answers !!! Sorry for the pore spelling in my post, using the phone and language set to danish:grin::grin::grin:. Buen camino to all of you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear a light weight polypropylene liners socks and light weight wools. The liners get washed each day while I will wash the wools when I have a good dry sunny afternoon.

I'll also give a thumbs up for Bridgedale Coolmax sock liners. Smoother than anything else I've found on the market. Hard to find in my size, though - I guess they sell out too quickly! :cry:

I have found in the past that my sock liners do not need to be any name brand or anything as long as they are wicking. Its more about the 2nd layer of socks. I use Smartwool because they are lightweight, breathe, and dry very quickly. I literally use these socks for everything... Sports/workouts, hiking, skiing... You name it they have a pair for it...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been experimenting with using a pair of my wife's knee-high stockings as liners under lightweight Smart Wool socks on my training hikes. Don't laugh -- I got the idea when I read where the US Marines have been using knee-highs as sock liners in Afghanistan. So far, so good -- they are very light and thin, and seem to wick well. (I do feel a little weird when I put them on though.) Not sure how long they will last, but they're dirt cheap and take up virtually no space, so it's not a problem to pack several pairs.

Wow, all I was reading about on this topic was about brands of socks :D

That's completely OK with me, but I used to walk entire CF without a single blister in combination of very worned-out socks. First I put on a pair of thin cotton socks that are more commonly used to wear with elegant shoes (with business or evening suit or similar). Over them I put thicker cotton socks usually used for sports activities. And that's it. Again - no single blister from SJPdP to Finisterre. I guess that may be just my habit, because I do some mountaineering and an old way of using socks in mountain boots in our parts is just as described.

I'm also convinced that the moment you feel something's not right in your boots - STOP immediately and check it out. Remove small stones, sand, gravel, put a Compeed on or whatever, just don't keep on walking and saying to yourself that it's just a few more miles to a pit stop!!!

I found out one more thing important in long distance walking. Do not remove (scrub?) all of "dead skin" (sorry, but I really don't know the right word for it) off your soles. Or at least do not do it less than a week before extended walking. It might sound a bit awkward (and also not really hygienic), I know, but it really helps.

Ultreia!

Attachments

• 1828-selfportrait (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1828-selfportrait (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 489
Sv: Socks

Thank you so much for all the good advise !!. I decided to wear just my merino wool socks . Buen camino to all that will be going!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.