• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks

Toreld

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Fromista to SdC June/July 2016
All you who do not get blisters, please tell me what kind of socks you use.

I have been shopping a lot of different
socks. Technical running socks, hypercool, blisterprevention and you name it And I have got almost blisters from 3 pair already.
I usually never get pain when I use cotton or wool socks with citywalking.
But I have read here on the Forum that cotton is out. But can I walk with woolsocks on the Camino in the heat in June and July????
I am soon leaving for the camino, and I still have not found any socks that is comfortable.
So, if anyone have any brand name that really works, I would be happy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Merino wool socks or Smartwool with silk liners. My wife and I swear by either combination (along with Vicks Vapor Rub around the toes) after 2,400km of Caminos. The one time I got blisters was the one time I used UnderArmour athletic socks (which I always use for running). Buen Camino.

Thank you. If I understand you right, this tecknical running socks are good for running, but not for walking?
You where comfortable with wool in the summer or did you the Camino in another season?
Excuse me my questions, but I do not have time for more wrong shopping, since I have to shop online.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Merino coolmax mix works for me, and I have non-Goretex shoes. My feet used to get much too hot inside the Goretex shoes in warm temperatures and I would get blisters. I used to put Aloe Vera vaseline on my feet, then thin nylon sock, then medium merino, but that was too hot in the end and the seam of the nylon liner sock gave me blisters at the tip of my toes. I also find that socks with a little padding on the inside (like Bridgedale Woolfusion) can prevent blisters because the 'loops' of thread in the padding allows a bit of movement without causing friction. I would advise against cotton, but remember the shoe/boot has a lot to do with how the sock works. If the shoes are too hot, to tight, too roomy, you will probably get blisters. What shoes do you have, and where do you get the blisters?

socks. Technical running socks, hypercool, blisterprevention and you name it And I have got almost blisters from 3 pair already.
But I have read here on the Forum that cotton is out. But can I walk with woolsocks on the Camino in the heat in June and July????
I am soon leaving for the camino, and I still have not found any socks that is comfortable.

Merino coolmax mix works for me, and I have non-Goretex shoes. My feet used to get much too hot inside the Goretex shoes in warm temperatures and I would get blisters. I used to put Aloe Vera vaseline on my feet, then thin nylon sock, then medium merino, but that was too hot in the end and the seam of the nylon liner sock gave me blisters at the tip of my toes. I also find that socks with a little padding on the inside (like Bridgedale Woolfusion) can prevent blisters because the 'loops' of thread in the padding allows a bit of movement without causing friction. I would advise against cotton, but remember the shoe/boot has a lot to do with how the sock works. If the shoes are too hot, to tight, too roomy, you will probably get blisters. What shoes do you have, and where do you get the blisters?

I have got red painy skin on the side of the heal and under the heal, so not actually blistets. My shoes feel wonderfull with one thin sock. I think I maybe should have bought one size bigger for the Camino. It is a Merrell All Out Crush,
breathing and very little weight.
Many people suggest bigger shoes than usually,, but then they are not comfortable, I feel.
You write that Goretex is too humid, but I have bought a pair to bring for rainy days. I am thinking that if I use my Merrell shoes in rain, I will become really weat on the feet and then with Goretex I will be only humid and that is better, maybe not so bad blisters.??
Or what is your expereing?
After I wrote this tread I went to my
sock - drawer and found in the bottum
2 pair forgotten Alpakka woolsocks,
unused. They are very thin, but they might be too much for June and July.
I get a bit scared when I read about the heavy blister cases.
I hope my feet will be fine again before my walking.
Nidarosa er du trønder?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Even in July last year, I used woolen socks. They were great. The trick is taking them (and of course your shoes) off every hour and a half.

Even in July last year, I used woolen socks. They were great. The trick is taking them (and of course your shoes) off every hour and a half.

Oh, Thank you. That is useful information. I defenitely will bring woolsocks then.

I'm hiking now in Ininji wool toe socks with a compression sleeve over and have had zero blisters after two weeks. I also coat my feet daily with arnica gel and vasolina. Last year when I hiked I had too many blisters, but that was late May and June. I also had a better experiance with cool max socks. I can't hike in heavy socks cause if my feet sweat I blister. I'm just out of Ponfererra now. Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My favourite combination now is Bridgedale socks : either 'Merino hiker'
or 'Merino light hiker' worn with their liner socks. It works in the Summer, even in the heat of VdlP.
(For those of you in the UK, they're on sale at the moment at Cotswolds outdoors).o

Forgot to say: i also use Nok cream on my feet, don't know if this is what makes the difference...
(If I don't have Nok, vaseline.)

Last edited:
Personally I like training with no socks and yes people think i'm crazy... then I use silk liners + just regular athletic socks on top.

@Toreld - Though Goretex can keep your feet drier for longer when it rains, all footwear will eventually get wet if it rains for long enough! The dust from the camino can clog up the breathable Goretex membrane too and turn your shoes into mini-saunas. Overheated skin blisters easily! I would say that it is better to take non-Goretex and risk getting wet, but your shoes will dry again by the morning, than taking Goretex or leather which will eventually get wet and takes a lot longer to dry. Also wool socks works wonders even when they are wet, but wet cotton socks are almost guaranteed to give you blisters. You found two pairs of unused alpacka socks - maybe you have solved your own problem? For a second pair of footwear I would take walking sandals instead, so if it is warm, but rains, just walk in sandals and accept the rain, then put your dry shoes on afterwards!

Og ja - æ e trønder, gitt, Trondheimspie!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm hiking now in Ininji wool toe socks with a compression sleeve over and have had zero blisters after two weeks. I also coat my feet daily with arnica gel and vasolina. Last year when I hiked I had too many blisters, but that was late May and June. I also had a better experiance with cool max socks. I can't hike in heavy socks cause if my feet sweat I blister. I'm just out of Ponfererra now. Good luck!

I am so happy for you having no blister.
I too have bought a pair of Ininji woolsocks. They work well, but the Ininji tecknical was No good, just added pain to my heals.
But what is a compression sleeve. Is that a nother sock outside the Ininji one??
Sorry my English is not very good.

I am so happy for you having no blister.
I too have bought a pair of Ininji woolsocks. They work well, but the Ininji tecknical was No good, just added pain to my heals.
But what is a compression sleeve. Is that a nother sock outside the Ininji one??
Sorry my English is not very good.

Vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rup, Proshield, rub something like this on yout before putting on your socks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Toreld - Though Goretex can keep your feet drier for longer when it rains, all footwear will eventually get wet if it rains for long enough! The dust from the camino can clog up the breathable Goretex membrane too and turn your shoes into mini-saunas. Overheated skin blisters easily! I would say that it is better to take non-Goretex and risk getting wet, but your shoes will dry again by the morning, than taking Goretex or leather which will eventually get wet and takes a lot longer to dry. Also wool socks works wonders even when they are wet, but wet cotton socks are almost guaranteed to give you blisters. You found two pairs of unused alpacka socks - maybe you have solved your own problem? For a second pair of footwear I would take walking sandals instead, so if it is warm, but rains, just walk in sandals and accept the rain, then put your dry shoes on afterwards!

Og ja - æ e trønder, gitt, Trondheimspie!

I think this is very good ideas. Using sandals in the rain sounds very blister
prevantivy. Do you have any suggesting
which sandals to buy.? I did buy some Ecco trekking sandals with EVA inner sole
without any lining. What I mean is that
your feet are tuching the " rubber "
There were no skin or fabrics for the sole.
I had to return them because they gave me pain after five minutes indoor walking. Ai tried Keen sandals too and found them no good due to the friction.
I have notised in the shoeshops this year that most sandals do not have linings, skin or fabrics.
Do you know sandals that are good for the Camino?
Og jeg er Oslo jente. Skal du gå Caminoen i sommer?

I bought Bitly compression sleeves via amazon to wear over my socks because I also have planter faciitis. It's working well for me so far. I've hiked for two weeks this way and my feet are staying healthy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rup, Proshield, rub something like this on yout before putting on your socks.

I know. I did before using this socalled blisterfree, tecknical running socks.
But after reading all this responses, I will
continue with woolsocks. Even in 30 degrees plus. Thank you for good advise.

I really like Teva Terra Fi sandals, both the normal heavy duty version and the light version. And vaseline works as well as Vapo-Rub in my opinion. But everybody is different and you have to find out what works for you! Just not leather - again it gets wet and takes forever to dry.

"Darn Tough" (the brand name). They have a variety of sizes and I found one that fits snugly on my smallish feet. No liners. No goo.
Works great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. If I understand you right, this tecknical running socks are good for running, but not for walking?
You where comfortable with wool in the summer or did you the Camino in another season?
Excuse me my questions, but I do not have time for more wrong shopping, since I have to shop online.
If using quality wool socks, the real issue is more the shoe/boot.

Unless the wool is really thick, it's not hot enough to be an issue (at least for me, as I backpack all four seasons in the same wool socks---I use Darn Tough, but I've also used Smartwool). The real issue, IMO, is whether the footwear is truly able to vent the heat and moisute. A leather or Goretex boot isn't going to release heat or moisture in the same way that a non-waterproofed breathable sneaker will, let along a hiking sandal. In cooler weather, especially winter conditions, this is good. In hotter spring, summer, fall weather, this is not so good. But that problem will also be true with cotton or coolmax socks as well.

There's a lot of people who swear by use of petroleum jelly-based products, but research shows that, in many cases, this actually causes blisters rather than helping them under sustained, prolonged walking.

I think this is very good ideas. Using sandals in the rain sounds very blister
prevantivy. Do you have any suggesting
which sandals to buy.? I did buy some Ecco trekking sandals with EVA inner sole
without any lining. What I mean is that
your feet are tuching the " rubber "
There were no skin or fabrics for the sole.
I had to return them because they gave me pain after five minutes indoor walking. Ai tried Keen sandals too and found them no good due to the friction.
I have notised in the shoeshops this year that most sandals do not have linings, skin or fabrics.
Do you know sandals that are good for the Camino?
Og jeg er Oslo jente. Skal du gå Caminoen i sommer?
Ecco also makes trekking sandals with a lined footbed. Mine are their Offroad Lite.

I live in Florida and have been training in 85 degrees most days. I've been wearing inexpensive liner socks and wool socks over them with lightweight ankle high hiking boots. I never would have believed wool socks would not be horrible. They work!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you everybody for the informations.
Happy days and happy feet to all of you.

I've decided it doesn't matter.
Over the years I have sworn by various combinations.
In cold weather, double socks with wool outers.
In hot weather, cotton socks, single layer.
The only blister I commonly get is on a small toe that curls under the toe next to it.

This year I wore smart wool socks with lightweight liners.
No blisters for two weeks.
Then one 10k stretch of road walking and POW!
A painful blister on my heel.
I've cared for it, bandaged it, and am going to finish in the same socks.

But I'm slathering my feet with petroleum jelly and have duct taped the inside of my shoe where it was apparently, and suddenly, pinching my heel.

I walked just 24 kms yesterday, and can barely walk today - blisters on both feet and one heel.
I have NEVER used any form of petroleum gel. Maybe I'll try it.
But I have always wondered .... how on earth do you wash socks that have been put on over petroleum jelly?
Especially SILK liners for heaven's sake!!
Surely they soak up the jelly?
Isn't that difficult to wash out?
Do you need to wash them daily?

I walked just 24 kms yesterday, and can barely walk today - blisters on both feet and one heel.
I have NEVER used any form of petroleum gel. Maybe I'll try it.
But I have always wondered .... how on earth do you wash socks that have been put on over petroleum jelly?
Especially SILK liners for heaven's sake!!
Surely they soak up the jelly?
Isn't that difficult to wash out?
Do you need to wash them daily?

You just wash then and don't worry about it.
Actually, most of it seems to absorb into my skin, not the socks.

Compeed, that's another issue.

Do I need a liner socks in summer wearing trail running shoes?

Do I need a liner socks in summer wearing trail running shoes?

Hi Tanya and welcome here.

I never use liner socks in any kind of shoes but the best way to try it out is to train in those shoes you will use on a Camino and experiment with different types of socks.
I just stick to my favourite brand of regular socks and a type of ointment / cream pre and post walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I walked the Camino last year and used the "1000 mile socks". They are a bit expensive but in my case they worked as billed. Only had minor blisters (more due to my inattention than anything else). I had the wool socks with their synthetic liner. I walked it in mid August to early October in weather from the 90s to the 30s. I was in ok shape with some initial training up to 10 miles a day a couple of times per week which no doubt toughened my feet a bit as well. But as an example, I was walking 5-8 miles a day with normal cotton socks (bad idea). When I switched to the 1000 mile socks, I easily added 30% with no bad effects. Note: I'm not affiliated with the company in any way.

Thank you everybody for the informations.
Happy days and happy feet to all of you.
Hi. For what's is worth, both my wife and myself have just completed the Camino Portuguese wearing "1000-Mile Socks" (tm), They have Merino wool outers with integrated technical liners, both of us with Keen Gortex boots, and without a single blister between us.

The same combination produced the same, no-blister, result for our Camino Frances trek in autumn of 2014 and spring of last year. Neither of us would now use any other combination.

Smart wool. My feet do not get wear. Wear silk liners under.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You just wash then and don't worry about it.
Actually, most of it seems to absorb into my skin, not the socks.Compeed, that's another issue.
Annie - I've ordered silk sock liners, and bought some vaseline this morning! We'll see how I survive at the end of the month [walking SdC to Finisterre].

I really like Teva Terra Fi sandals, both the normal heavy duty version and the light version. And vaseline works as well as Vapo-Rub in my opinion. But everybody is different and you have to find out what works for you! Just not leather - again it gets wet and takes forever to dry.
Hi
Due to start my second Camino in late July. Last year used hiking boots/ shoes/ various socks - but considering Teva sandals this time. Never hiked in sandals before - do you use socks with or just Vapo-rub? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Darn Tough" (the brand name). They have a variety of sizes and I found one that fits snugly on my smallish feet. No liners. No goo.
Works great.
I second that. Darn Tough socks are awesome and they are pretty much the only brand of hiking socks that has a lot of cute colorful options. :)

If you turn the nylon liners inside out it may eliminate blisters from the seam

@BrendaK - unfortunately I found that the seam was so thick and the material so thin that I got blisters regardless. With thicker socks turning them might work though you will also miss out on the benefits of inside padding.

Camino chic??? I've got to be concerned with fashion while I'm finding my inner goddess? ;-)

I wear 3 pairs of socks, 1st CoolMax hiking socks, 2nd thin inner marinos, 3rd thicker marinos (I can hear people screaming now).
I change between boots and lighter runners depending on the terrain, and change my inners 1/2 way thru the day if it is warm.
I've been doing this for 20 years and I don't ever get blisters.
Also my trekking boots/shoes are 1 size bigger than my normal shoes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I walked 3 caminos with cotton socks - 1 pair only, the best for me.

First camino i listened to 'the specialist' in a sport shop and bought anti-blisters socks. One week later both my ankles had rash, and every toes were covered in tiny little... blood blisters. Had to use antihistamine cream to soften allergy :confused:

Coton walking since. Da best.

I have hiked regularly for over 20 years and have never gotten a blister. I first apply Aquaphor (similar to vaseline, but slightly different, and I don't know that Vaseline wouldn't work just as well), then a liner sock (used to be silk, but these days some sort of polytechnical version seems to be more available), then wool socks (I have used Smart Wool for years). I buy boots that are roomy in the toe area with plenty of room but never buy boots a full size larger, as my feet slip around too much in a bigger size. And I don't find this combo uncomfortably warm in hot weather, but that may be an individual thing. Good luck!

My favourite combination is Leukoplast white sports tape to tape up any areas that are prone to friction and potential blisters. I then slather everything with a coating of Bodyglide balm (the blue one). This lubricant is not made with petroleum products. One thing lasts about 500 km so get 2 large sized ones. Otherwise you end up buying Compeed 5g foot lubricant at enormous cost. I love my Injinji Performance 2.0 Trail toesocks. They are a midweight sock and wick away moisture really well. I had non-Gortex boots as I was walking in June-July. Galicia can be wet but I suspect the only water you will see is in damp muddy areas on some hill tracks. I hardly came across any rain in the 2 months and the light drizzle I did encounter was not enough to justify gortex boots.

I am currently on Day 17 without a blister. I'm taping two toes that are blister-prone with Micropore paper tape, wearing liner socks with a small shake of foot powder, and a mid weight trekking sock. I now have three different brands of liner sock after leaving a sock somewhere in the washing machine!

I am also wearing waterproof boots without any of the problems some people want to attribute to them.

I am of the view that brand and sock material is less important than the general approach. This approach is the same as I have used now for two other blister-free long pilgrimage walks, and I know it works well for me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

D
Do they dry quickly? Thank you.
Hi Toreld. I use Lorpen merino wool socks over women's ankle-high nylons. I also apply anti-perspirant at night and Vaseline in the morning. Buen Camino.

D
Do they dry quickly? Thank you.

They usually dry overnight but sometimes are still damp in the morning. If still damp, I pin them to the back of my pack (if it's not raining) and let them air dry as I walk.

I have used British army desert coolmax socks for hot weather in my boots and they have never given me any problems. They do exactly what they say on the tin so to speak, easy to wash and dry quickly they also have a silver based antimicrobial finish with helps to protect ones feet. These work for me but others may not like them at all. Wear what works best for you if that's cotton, wool or latest tech material then use it. Everyone is different.

Hope you find the ones that work for you.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you everybody for all the good advices.
I finnally have got my shoes and socks that works for me. Well, here in the cold Scandinavia.
I will use my new Haglöfs Observer GT
Woman shoes with first pair of socks :
Thin alpakka baby wool, 98 % and then a pair of mohair socks as outer layer and ofcourse Vaselin. This have worked nicely on shorter walks.
I have been googling the different kind of socks you all have mention here, but they only have at most 64 % wool. And I will have to buy them from abroad and that makes a lot of money in postage.
But I hope my combination will work on the camino.
Toreld

Smart wool. My feet do not get wear. Wear silk liners under.
I walked with wool socks during a very hot July last year (and again in a coolish May this year). Found wool socks great - just cool down your feet every hour and a half by taking off the shoes, insoles (I use good leather insoles), and socks. Dry your feet, let them enjoy the air.

Hi. For what's is worth, both my wife and myself have just completed the Camino Portuguese wearing "1000-Mile Socks" (tm), They have Merino wool outers with integrated technical liners, both of us with Keen Gortex boots, and without a single blister between us.

The same combination produced the same, no-blister, result for our Camino Frances trek in autumn of 2014 and spring of last year. Neither of us would now use any other combination.

Hi Tony

Can you please advise exactly which 1000-mile socks you and your wife wore - I have been researching and there are so many different types. Thank you so much :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I don't think that I can answer that. Nether mine, nor my wife's, socks have any identification left on then other than the 1000 Mile logo. Any other identifier has long been worn away. We're away from home at the moment so I cant investigate further very easily, but they were the "basic" items only, not any of the specialist option.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.