• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks!

MiguelUK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2019)
I am looking at buying shoes for the trip and I am not sure what size to order because I don't know if I will/should be wearing thicker/padded socks or my usual thin socks.

I tend to wear thinner socks and wear an 11/11.5, but if I wear thicker socks I'll need a 12.

Are there any disadvantages to wearing thinner socks on such long walks?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Depends on the time of year and weather. In colder months I wear Coolmax liners and a heavy pair of socks. In warm weather I often wear just two pairs of liners which keep my feet fairly cool and wick away sweat fairly well.

Late September in to October, so still fairly warm I think, apart from nights.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Between the months of June to October you can wear thin socks if that is the type that works best with your feet and footwear. Or wear double layers or single layer thicker, if that is what works best.
I have worn very thin running socks on the Camino, have worn two layers of thin socks and have also worn one pair of thick socks. All those combinations worked for me.
I always wear quick drying synthetic socks, but wool ones work well, too.
I am not of the school of wearing footwear 1/2 to one size larger. I have never found a need to. Not even in the army when doing long marches with pack and kit. I wear my regular size and find socks that go well with the footwear and test them out on 5-10 km walks. That's the only way of knowing.

Last edited:
To answer you actual, original question, I never found wearing thin socks while walking the Camino to be disadvantageous in any way.
They're socks. If the work well, they work well....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Socks: I have been of the traditional. two-sock persuasion for five Caminos. That is a thin microfiber or silk inner sock to wick moisture and reduce friction, with a thick woolen outer sock for insulation and cushioning. For me, it has worked fine, and I have never had a blister...not one.

Change: This year, I am planning to experiment with a daily rotation of three sock systems: my traditional 2-pairs; a single dual woven sock system, one with microfiber inside and merino outside, and another with microfiber inside and some other fabric as an outer layer. My plan is to report back on the results. As my Camino is in May and I am a hot person ...I sweat a lot, insulation is not an issue in most all weather. However cushioning is important, as is wicking moisture and reducing friction. We shall see...

Shoes: Most people miss this VERY important point. Alexwalker correctly explains about swelling after some hours walking each day. But there are other considerations to bear in mind:

1. Every time you walk down a slope or stairs, your foot wants to slide forward in your shoes, boots or sandals. This is true whether you are home or on Camino. If your toes contact the inside front of the toe box, over time, you WILL develop blisters, bruises and broken toenails. In some folks, this leads to 'black toe." This is a very badly bruised toe or toes caused by the constant impact trauma. It can and will adversely affect your enjoyment of the Camino.

2. After walking some weeks with a loaded rucksack, most (but not all) pilgrims feet will actually increase in size. This is called 'splaying.' Personally, my US size 11 feet increased to 11.5 after four Caminos. In metric, that is at least one full size. This also affects shoe or boot sizing.

The sliding foot syndrome can be addressed in only two ways:

(A) size up a extra half size to provide more room in the toe box to preclude your toes hitting the inside front of the toe box; and / or

(B) learn how to tie your laces more effectively to reduce the forward sliding action on a down walk. Go to You Tube for a huge variety of "How to tie hiking boot laces..."

The long-term foot-size increase can only be addressed by up-sizing, again about 1/2 size.

These topics are discussed a lot throughout this Forum. They are recurring issues and questions. To be sure, not everyone's feet are the same, or react the same to walking long distances.

However, and as a general rule of thumb, do not rely on the size printed in your current shoes or the footwear you seek to buy. Numbers are merely relative. The exact same shoe can very in size from one pair of the same size to the next. This happens during the human-assembly process.

Go to a reputable shoe seller and have your feet properly measured. Try on several styles and models. When you find what you think you want...then:

1. Shop for shoes at the end of the day, when your feet have swollen from being on them for hours, or take a walk for a couple of km before you enter the shoe shop.

2. Put on the EXACT socks you plan to wear on Camino.

3. If possible put on a loaded rucksack with a weight more or less equal to what you plan to carry on Camino. This places pressure on your feet, causing them to swell slightly.

4. Put the intended shoes or boots on and LACE THEM PROPERLY.

Practice, in the store, walking up and down a slope
. Use a stair, box, or in some shops there are simulated rocks. Ensure that your toes NEVER come close to the inside front of the toe box.

As a general rule, the boots you wear on Camino will be at least one full size larger than your street size. In metric it could be slightly more. I think that US sizing increases one-size for each 3/8 inches of foot length. In metric a full-size increase is one cm, IIRC.

You can only determine what fits properly by trying it on. NEVER rely solely on the size marked on the box or item of footwear. For example, Keen will inform buyers on their web site if a particular model runs small or large. My Keen Targhee II mid-high boots run one-half size SMALL. So, I had to upsize. Likewise my Keen Arroyo II walking sandals run one-half size LARGE. So my size 11 - 11.5 feet wear a size 13.0 boot, and a 12.5 sandal. Both items are the same net size.

When I bought my footwear, I based my sizing on adding 1/2 size for 2-pair socks, 1/2 size for daily foot swelling, and 1/2 size for long-term splaying. It turns out that was perfect. For, when my feet increased in size permanently, as mentioned above, I had the extra space in the existing boots. Had I not planned ahead, I would have had to buy new boots.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I would also add that if you're going to wear boots (as opposed to trail runners) when walking longer distances, I've found it very helpful to have liners in your boots that stop your foot from moving forward as much. They seem to avoid blisters to some extent as well (less foot movement). I've always worn runners on the Camino walks but thought I would mention the opinion about boots.

Seems each time I walk over the years, my pack becomes lighter and lighter.
So does the need for any special equipment.

My advice is to wear whatever socks you'd wear if you were walking at home.
You can always buy more socks on the route if you need them.

No need to break the bank.
It is, after all, a pilgrimage. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ignore the size labels except to give you a starting point for trying shoes on. Buy the biggest shoes that are not too big to comfortably walk in. For normal use, most of us could happily use one size plus or minus a half size. Buy the biggest of those three. If necessary, put on a second pair of your light socks for walking when your feet are unswollen. If your feet do swell (and not all of us have that as a noticeable problem) you can take one pair off. I take 3 different pairs of socks, since my preference seems to change, depending on conditions. None of my socks are heavy ones, as the softness/cushyness seems to cause blisters on the bottom of my feet.

My toes never touch the end of the shoe, because they are short and the width of my foot is the limiting factor. That isn't a consideration for me.

the traditional. two-sock persuasion
There are many equal and contradictory traditions. Recognizing diversity is the key! :)

I am looking at buying shoes for the trip and I am not sure what size to order because I don't know if I will/should be wearing thicker/padded socks or my usual thin socks.

I tend to wear thinner socks and wear an 11/11.5, but if I wear thicker socks I'll need a 12.

Are there any disadvantages to wearing thinner socks on such long walks?
L
2 pairs of socks is a must to dispel friction. Liner, ie thin plus other. your feet will only be cold for 5 minutes, they are the first part to warm up. Buy your boots at least one Euro size (the 40 to 50 sizes called paris point) too large, which is about a half size in UK sizings, but 81/2 is just a wider 8 . so you need a 9..there is no logic and no standards in shoe sizes. LOTS of spare socks. If you can find a second hand pair of boots, get those. Worn in boots are so much better. And a pair of sandals or light shoes. Panty liners are ideal pad outs, chiropodists felt is great in sheets that you can cut to size, and comes in varying thicknesses. Carole retired chiropodist and walker of the GR65.

Another website I stumbled onto was www.annieswalkers.com, which was full of sage advice by Annie, who has made a small business of taking others on the Camino as a guide and planner. The single best piece of advice came from Annie, who was adamant about getting hiking shoes or sneakers a size and a half larger than your actual size. I followed Annie’s advice and got a pair of size 12 ASICS (with gel innersoles) for my size 10½ feet—half a size more for my thick alpaca socks, which are very warm and which would wick the moisture away from my feet, and a whole size larger for my foot to swell. I also went with a second pair of running shoes, size 12 waterproof Columbias, which I would wear when it rained. I could switch from one pair of sneakers to the other when I felt rubbing that might turn into a blister. I learned to turn my socks inside-out halfway through the day to keep my feet dry. The other tip I faithfully followed, courtesy of Annie’s Walkers, was to put on a thin nylon sock liner. This not only wicks the moisture, but the rubbing now happens between the two pairs of socks and not so much on the foot. I followed the advice and got just one blister on my entire journey.
Go with thick alpaca or smart wool socks!
From "Slow Camino" by Terence Callery

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.