• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks

dogstar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018)
Hi, in August 2018 I had a conversation with a fellow Australian outside Bayonne Railway Station regarding the type of socks I should have been wearing. The gentleman was on his way to Del Norte and we were on our way to St Jean Pied de Port. Would like to reconnect with this gentleman, not only to find out about the socks but to ask about Del Norte as we are considering this for our next Camino. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Howdy @dogstar -

I cannot help you you reconnect with the Australian. But socks? yeh...I know those those...

1) get a thin liner merino sock (3 pair)

2) get a medium to heavy outer sock of wool (also 3 pair)

3) Now go shopping for footgear with the liner sock on, over-topped by the hiking sock. See what works for you with a pack on.

You are about as ready to go as possible without endless explanation...which is available here for free.

I don't know what else to tell you.

B

Everyone has different sock needs and preferences. Try different types and combinations until you find the best for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a saying amongst the 'serious' hiking community, of which I am not a member.
"Cotton Kills"
When it comes to socks the saying translates to.....
"Whatever socks you finally decide on, ensure they are not made of cotton".
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Love Wright socks. One sock, 2 layers. The layers may rub against each other, but don't rub against your skin. Advertised as guaranteeing no blisters, which seems like a crazy thing to say. But I’ve walked about 1500k in mine and no blisters. The main thing in preventing blisters and ensuring happy feet, is buying good socks, good footwear that fits, and breaking both in by actually training in them before you start. For the life of me, I can’t understand people who do 2 x 10k walks before they go, or who say “my boots arrived yesterday and I leave in 2 days, so i’m ready to go!” ...and then feign surprise as they limp through Spain.

Hi, in August 2018 I had a conversation with a fellow Australian outside Bayonne Railway Station regarding the type of socks I should have been wearing. The gentleman was on his way to Del Norte and we were on our way to St Jean Pied de Port. Would like to reconnect with this gentleman, not only to find out about the socks but to ask about Del Norte as we are considering this for our next Camino. Thanks
I have to say, that if you really want to reconnect with someone a post titled "Socks" is probably not the best way to do it. 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Love Wright socks. One sock, 2 layers. The layers may rub against each other, but don't rub against your skin. Advertised as guaranteeing no blisters, which seems like a crazy thing to say. But I’ve walked about 1500k in mine and no blisters. The main thing in preventing blisters and ensuring happy feet, is buying good socks, good footwear that fits, and breaking both in by actually training in them before you start. For the life of me, I can’t understand people who do 2 x 10k walks before they go, or who say “my boots arrived yesterday and I leave in 2 days, so i’m ready to go!” ...and then feign surprise as they limp through Spain.
I like Wright socks too, but they don't seem to hold up very well

An inspiring REI employee walked the Pacific Crest Trail at age 70. I gathered from talking to him that it was a turning point for him, as he had a desk job that he quit to be able to do it. It took him four months. He's been doing long hikes ever since and has had his share of blisters. He changed to Wright socks, mentioned above, and says he hasn't had a blister since.

Thick Alpaca Socks will wick away moisture. I never got any blisters on three winter caminos.
Human hair is 100 microns thick - baby alpaca is 18 microns.
Super fine fibers create more surface area and trap more air. Modern synthetic "micro-fibers" imitate super fine alpaca, think "smart wool blends".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before walking the CP from Lisbon I was strongly advised at outdoor sports stores in Melbourne to wear Merino woollen socks and bought a couple of different pairs to try them out. Part of my training happened to be on the Larapinta trail through the desert in Central Australia near Alice Springs where in a sports store there I also came across the best socks ever. These have the label 'Smartwool'. On the CP I found these to be the best of the lot and I wished I had bought a couple more pairs. I had no blisters with them on the CP. A few times I also tried wearing thin inner socks as well but found that the 'Smartwool' merino socks were better by themselves. Its worth while trying different things and see what works best for yourself.

There is a saying amongst the 'serious' hiking community of which I am not a member.
"Cotton Kills"
When it comes to socks the saying translates to.....
"Whatever socks you finally decide on, ensure they are not made of cotton".
Regards
Gerard

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yep would agree there Gerard COTTON is the enemy of the walker is my quote takes so long to dry with sweat rain or even when washing takes so long to dry. Socks should be suitable for your feet I had merino socks and ended up walking mostly in liners keep your feet greased with vicks or a good moisturiser layer up and layer down is applicable to your feet started the Pyrenees with boots and merino with layers and finished from Leon with trainers bought in Leon and liner socks

Howdy @dogstar -

I cannot help you you reconnect with the Australian. But socks? yeh...I know those those...

3) Now go shopping for footgear with the liner sock on, over-topped by the hiking sock. See what works for you with a pack on.

You are about as ready to go as possible without endless explanation...which is available here for free.

B
Howdy @dogstar -

B
Hi, yes we tried various socks before we went on Camino Frances in August 2018 and settled for a brand of merino socks as they were deemed suitable for all our treks around Tasmania. We found them to be too hot on our feet in the different climate. While I preferred sock liners, my husband didn’t care for them at all. Thanks for your advice, we will keep trying different socks.

Hello, yes I agree with you about not trying out boots etc before heading off on any serious trekking. We had our boots for well over a year and wore them in all types of weather in all sorts of environments. We wore them on our first Camino and mine felt like they were part of me and was absolutely devastated they were no longer serviceable. However I now have a new pair that I am wearing in - ready for next Camino. I will take your advice and check out Wright socks. Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the recommendation, I am always up to try something new.

I like Wright socks too, but they don't seem to hold up very well

Might I ask how much wear you get out of a pair? Thanks in advance!

B

With socks, it matters whether you have sweaty feet. Smart wool socks please many people, on me they just get wet and ball up into a hot, blister-making mess. I walk in Injinji, which keeps my toes from rubbing on each other. You need to wear your sock/shoe combination all day on your feet to really know what they do.
Buen camino

Its really good to hear everyones preferences for socks. I have the sweety feet and wool doesnt suit, just gets matted underfoot. I must be the odd one out, I have worn Bonds cotton socks for three caminos, CF, Portuguese and Madrid with New Balance trail runners, havent had a blister or even hot spots. I do change socks during the day if its raining. About to walk the CF again in April with the same set up. I think each person is individual and you have to work out what works for you personally. My husband swears by bamboo socks and wont wear anything else. Each to their own, take time to try out different socks during your preparation and stick to the one that works best. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

B
I took 3 pair with me. With the training before that Camino, the Camino itself, my regular use following, and current training for upcoming Camino, I expect I have walked almost 2000km in the 3 pairs. Still just fine, no holes.

With socks, it matters whether you have sweaty feet. Smart wool socks please many people, on me they just get wet and ball up into a hot, blister-making mess. I walk in Injinji, which keeps my toes from rubbing on each other. You need to wear your sock/shoe combination all day on your feet to really know what they do.
Buen camino
Yeah, the Injini look great but I have bilateral syndactyly (webbed toes) so they are a non-starter for me.

@Walkerooni - that's pretty impressive wear! Thanks, I'm going to try them out.

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was considering trying some 'Darn Tough' socks which have a good reputation, and come with such a good guarantee.
Any holes or thread failures get immediate replacement, free of charge, forever.
Thought to check pricing, including freight to OZ from the US.
Herewith their reply quoting USD.

Dear Mr. Carey,

Thank you for your email.

The total cost, estimated, would be $116.45. The breakdown is $65.85 for the socks, free standard shipping (code 462721), shipping to you in Australia, $50.60.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance, and thanks so much for your interest in shopping with us at The Vermont Country Store.

Sincerely,
Melanie W
Customer Service
The Vermont Country Store

So nearly US$40 per pair;
Pass.

Regards
Gerard

I don't know enough to advise anyone on socks (although I can say that Wright Socks does make a version of their double-layer sock with a Camino shell symbol woven in - I can't confirm its efficacy in preventing blisters but if you do get blisters, they will be covered by a stylish sock).

I would agree with trecile above, though, that a post to the Equipment forum entitled "Socks" may not be the best way to find someone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wright socks
Wright socks

Kia ora katoa (greetings, good health to all)

This wonderful forum reaches from almost 180 degrees east and 45 degrees south right around the world to 150 degrees west and 60 degrees north. And not many, if any, brand names are known throughout that vast span.

It is not my intention to "pick" on those who have used a specific brand. Rather I hope to invite all those who post a brand name to also include some details of where they can be found. For example: REI, Kelowna, BC or whatever.

Kia kaha katoa (you all take care, be strong, get going)

I think a big contributor to my no-foot-issues success is that I had 3 DIFFERENT pairs of socks. While I certainly have favourite socks, I chose not to bring 3 of the same pair, so that my feet would get a different experience each day. Sometimes I even changed halfway through the day. I had a very thin pair, a well cushioned pair and another different middle-ground pair. Details here and here.

Ah, the old socks or shoes riddle. It is never ending.
In all honesty there is no way to give advice on that subject as our feet and the needs of our feet are all different. Also keep in mind that no matter what sock and shoe combination you decide upon, you will not truly know whether it works for you until you walk several 15-25 km days in them, over varying elevations and surfaces and with a pack on your back.
For what it is worth I have walked the Camino several times and always just wear ultra thin, synthetic running socks combined with footwear that is my normal size. I never size up even half a size. Never had any problems with that combination, as blasphemous to some of the gear geeks on here that sounds lol.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Part of my training happened to be on the Larapinta trail through the desert in Central Australia near Alice Springs where in a sports store there I also came across the best socks ever. These have the label 'Smartwool'.

Used to live in Alice - agree on the Smart Wool socks - they were my every day running socks. Summer or winter.

I always over pack on socks. Would sacrifice undies for socks any day and did so for the Larapinta. 5 Paris of socks, two undies. Oscillated between Injini (too many broken toe bones in my history) and icebreaker merinos for if/when the toes rebel and need taping.

I also have one merino pair that are only worn to bed, that are a size or two larger than needed. My toes love their own 'sleeping bags.' Seems to stave off cramps and/or cold settling into the bones.

Kia ora katoa (greetings, good health to all)

This wonderful forum reaches from almost 180 degrees east and 45 degrees south right around the world to 150 degrees west and 60 degrees north. And not many, if any, brand names are known throughout that vast span.

It is not my intention to "pick" on those who have used a specific brand. Rather I hope to invite all those who post a brand name to also include some details of where they can be found. For example: REI, Kelowna, BC or whatever.

Kia kaha katoa (you all take care, be strong, get going)
When I spoke of Wright socks I didn't post the details of where they could be found (a) because in my experience they can be found in a number of different shops and (b) because I didn't think, with the global reach of this forum, that details of where I see them would be particularly helpful to most of the people reading my words. So I can say that in Toronto and environs they can be found at locations of Mountain Equipment Co-op, Running Room, Sail and other places that sell athletic footwear but that wouldn't help you much in New Zealand.

Instead, I did a Google search for "Wright socks New Zealand" and found a few places that might help you find them if they don't have them in your local shops that sell athletic footwear:

Note that this is not necessarily an endorsement nor do I say that they are the best way to prevent blisters. Others can speak much more knowledgeably than I on that subject.

I asked the same question...probably one of my 1st 5 posts on this Forum.
I've settled on Injinjii inners - does wonders to keep my toes apart and Darn Tough outers.
Both I got via Amazon
I do use a good deal of gel as a precaution even with the above. So far (mind you I am in training for the 2021 CF) I had no issues on any hike from 1 to 19 miles

€60,-
Darn Tough socks! These are just great, lifetime warranty, no blisters. These are very comfortable hiking socks. I will never wear another brand. The choice is yours, but I did my part by telling you. Have a great new year.

I did search for "Wright socks New Zealand"

@David Tallan , thank you for the trouble you have gone to in this matter. I have appreciatively looked at what you found and can see it is an interesting product. A money back offer if you get blisters is certainly worth considering. A little more digging around could not produce a local physical presence. I suspect they use a local fullfillment provider to respond to orders.

I have been content to shell out big to a foreign manufacturer of my pack, tent and sleeping bag sight unseen: but the maker had done a 3,000 km tramp through NZ. Curiously, though, I am loathe to buy relatively expensive sox (NZ listed prices) the same way. I guess, for things close to the skin, the personal touch is important.

The point I was trying to make was this: naming a product that clearly has a following in one country is fine so long as the local connection (and website) is made. Then us not of that place can look online and decide, or not, to take the interest further. I would also expect brief notes as to why the writers preferred the product (an inner and outer sock in one and the no blister guarantee, in this case, for example)

In my case, I wear almost knee high pressure hose (for varicose veins) and wear a kit and desire similar length hose to "keep up appearances". So I suspect I wont be troubling Wright Socks local fulfillment provider in the near future.

@David Tallan , kia ora (greetings, thank you, I wish you well)

The point I was trying to make was this: naming a product that clearly has a following in one country is fine so long as the local connection (and website) is made. Then us not of that place can look online and decide, or not, to take the interest further. I would also expect brief notes as to why the writers preferred the product (an inner and outer sock in one and the no blister guarantee, in this case, for example)
Why I preferred the product was the graphic design: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-...gKp2J60VqmdADwvyNGifEZ93iv6fsruMaAgKWEALw_wcB

B
I also wore Wright socks on the PC (from Lisbon) that I alternated with 2 other pairs of Smartwool socks. The Wright socks wore a hole in the outer layer before the end of the Camino. I would stick with Smartwool, they were good as new at the end.

3 pairs of Wright socks worked for me. No blisters! Did SJPP to SDC.👍

I was considering trying some 'Darn Tough' socks which have a good reputation, and come with such a good guarantee.
Any holes or thread failures get immediate replacement, free of charge, forever.
Thought to check pricing, including freight to OZ from the US.
Herewith their reply quoting USD.

Dear Mr. Carey,

Thank you for your email.

The total cost, estimated, would be $116.45. The breakdown is $65.85 for the socks, free standard shipping (code 462721), shipping to you in Australia, $50.60.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance, and thanks so much for your interest in shopping with us at The Vermont Country Store.

Sincerely,
Melanie W
Customer Service
The Vermont Country Store

So nearly US$40 per pair;
Pass.

Regards
Gerard
Veering off topic slightly...but how good is the Vermont Country Store....like stepping back into a Norman Rockwell time warp.

I wear thin bamboo socks under thick merino.
But I use olive oil mixed with T tree oil on my feet daily, walking or not. Blisters are caused by the shearing forces between layers of skin. By reducing the friction that causes such shearing you should avoid blisters. Outside of the socks the next major cause of friction is ill fitting footwear. Plenty on this forum about getting the best footwear you can get for your feet. This can take a bit of doing if you have never walked distance before so the sooner you start getting fitted for decent footwear the better. Wear whatever socks you have decided upon, go for a walk in the morning, walk at least 4 miles in the afternoon, then try on footwear in the afternoon when your feet are naturally as large as they may get on a daily long walk.

In my personal opinion socks are only a part of the blister avoidance routine. You need to get a few things working together.

I've brought hiking socks from Decathalon (Melb) and found them absolutely brilliant.
I now own 10 pairs and use them daily.
Highly recommend you give them a go. Not blisters, no hot spots, and a great price too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've brought hiking socks from Decathalon (Melb) and found them absolutely brilliant.
I now own 10 pairs and use them daily.
Highly recommend you give them a go. Not blisters, no hot spots, and a great price too.
Decathlon sell quite a few different kinds of hiking socks. Do you remember the style name?

Have worn Wright socks on my last four Camino's and no blister issues. On my first couple of Camino's I used other socks and had major blister issues.
Will be using Wright socks for Camino #7 in 2020.

I’m working on my training hikes for my upcoming first Camino. I’m trying out several brands. I have wright socks, Smart wool, Darn Tough and Injinji liners as well as Injinji hiking crew socks. The Wright socks... for me not so great. The Darn tough and smart wool are good so far. Have been wearing Injinji liners with them and no blisters. But my favorites are the women’s Injinji hiking crew socks worn with liners. I think they have medium cushioning. Wool and Cool max fibers mostly.
My feet are narrow so the women’s fit me better. The thing about these crew socks is that the pair is one right and one left sock, not 2 identical socks. For me this means the socks fit better. There is no extra space in the sock out toward the little toe which can sometimes bunch up in a standard style of sock. It took me wearing them a couple times before I actually figured out. Way more comfortable when you wear them correctly. I’m not all that observant sometimes.
Anyway that’s my take on the sock search so far.

My upcoming Camino trip is a first for me, however I have done a lot of multi-day hiking/tramping in Australia and New Zealand, both on-track and off-track. No question that getting the feet right is the most important element of any trip. I strongly support the view expressed elsewhere in this thread, that merino liner socks and merino outer walking socks are the very best combination, in conjunction with well-fitting boots/shoes. Your feet will love you!!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.