• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solar charger?

november_moon

Veteran Member
Does anybody have recommendations for a solar charger? I am thinking of something light (obviously) that I can attach to my backpack and charge a phone or an eReader while I am walking - this way I don't have to rely solely on shared outlets to charge stuff. I am going to be walking in June, so I anticipate having plenty of sun along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm after the same thing as well so thanks for asking :)

I looked high and low for one as well, but they were all too heavy. The Brunton Solarroll seemed to be about the best in terms of weight, output and compactness, but I figured there will be plenty of power available at albergues for charging, and in any case, I don't plan to use my phone much anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does anybody have recommendations for a solar charger? I am thinking of something light (obviously) that I can attach to my backpack and charge a phone or an eReader while I am walking - this way I don't have to rely solely on shared outlets to charge stuff. I am going to be walking in June, so I anticipate having plenty of sun along the way.

GoalZero. Check them out at REI

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you are considering whether an item is "may use," remember that the charger is just so you MAY not have to compete for a wall outlet. Attaching things to the outside of your pack may not be a good idea, so ponder that as well. Solar chargers are generally inadequate to the job, particularly the light weight ones. There is little to do after washing yourself and your clothes, so you may enjoy sitting in a bar over a coffee or wine while your device charges in one of their outlets.

Does anybody have recommendations for a solar charger? I am thinking of something light (obviously) that I can attach to my backpack and charge a phone or an eReader

In general the bigger the device the more power it uses. There is a big difference between charging a little feature phone and a big tablet sized device. So unfortunately any suggestion given isn't going to be worth much.

I have a little USB battery pack. It's only 2200 but for most phones that's more then big enough. For a tablet size device it isn't a full charge.

The advantages are it's small. Cheap. If you lose it no great harm. Being so small it's easy enough to attach the cable to your phone and charge the phone while you walk. When you get a chance recharge the battery pack.

You can get bigger batteries but they'll be both heavier and more expensive. OTOH being bigger you might go most of a week .

There's a lot of hikers including me talking about Suntactics sCharger-5, don't know about attaching it to a backpack but you can put holes in the corners of the sCharger-5, it only weighs half a pound which is much lighter than any portable solar chargers out there, most solar chargers use inverters and batteries that make the unit weigh too much. Plus the scharger-5 is thin, about the size of a cd case when closed. check it out here: http://www.suntactics.com/shop/usb-scharger-5/

They are also giving away free storage batteries if you buy one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.