• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solar phone chargers

rogerthomson

Hello fellow Pilgrims.
I'm setting off on 5th May and need to charge my phone. As I'm camping it will not always be possible to use the standard charger so I wondered how viable a solar charger might be. Does anyone have experience of using an effective one?
I have a Samsung Galaxy and it generally needs to be charged daily.
Thanks in advance and Buen Camino to all out there.
Roger

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In my experience, solar charging is kind of a pain. It can take a whole day of full sun to charge a basic cell phone. I would recommend charging your phone in a cafe or restaurant while you have a coffee or eat dinner.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks guys.
I really don't expect much from a solar charger, but it might give enough for some phone usage.
Actually, it would probably be good to not have a phone at all - more in keeping with the original spirit of the Camino.
But then, perhaps you could say that about lightweight sleeping mats and bags and modern clothing!!

I bought one last year, fairly big solar surface. Can be attached at the upperside of the backpack.
Weighs about the same as an ereader.
Works exelent . Lots of power for a cellphone. However within a year technics are changing.
I bought an ipad mini and the battery is too big to get charged by this device. So we are expecting the unkown too.
Bom caminho

I started out using the Power Monkey Explorer in 2010. There is a small solar panel to charge a battery pack, which in turn can be used to charge a phone or MP3, etc. The battery pack can also be charged from a USB port or it has a mains charger. It was able to keep up with charging my smartphone, but it got too complicated to use it to re-charge the AA batteries for my camera, and I eventually just bought alkaline cells along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love my Pico Freeloader Solar Charger. One gives me about 3/4 charge on my iphone, so I bought two since I plan a lot of data usage and want to ensure one of the two always has a remaining charge. They take all day in the sun to charge, but are lightweight. I bought mine and had them shipped to the US from the manufacturer in the UK, and with shipping costs ended up being about the price Amazon offers. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YNU5GU/?tag=casaivar02-20
Be sure to buy the gel case that goes with them so you can strap them onto your backpack straps for charging. See them on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...w=pico+freeloader+gel+case&_sacat=0&_from=R40. Remember to check where they are being shipped from so you allow enough time to get it before your camino. My case also came from the UK.
Buen Camino

I have a Samsung Galaxy as well and if I put it in airplane mode, the battery can last several days. I don't usually turn it off completely because it is also my camera.

Thanks for all the info.
My son has bought me a Powerbee charger, which arrived yesterday. I checked its charge and plugged my phone in and it started to charge, so it looks like I'll be OK. It's only for essentials and emergencies so it will probably only be switched on for a short time each day and I guess the charger will cope with that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having your phone on all the time will be a distraction. Why not just switch it on at pre-arranged times, maybe twice a day for 30 minutes, and then switch it off. You should find that it lasts a week or even two between chargings, so all you need take is the usual wall charger.

Tried out the solar charger on trip down through France.
Result???
Rubbish - it does not charge up even in bright sunlight. Waste of weight.
Take a charger with European adaptor. I found plenty of times when I could charge the phone for half an hour and, switching it on only now and then, it kept its charge.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.