• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solid fuel cubes

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm doing a winter camino so was considering taking a lightweight pocket stove. Has anyone tried one? And are the fuel cubes easily obtained on the camino?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you thinking of using it while out on the path? Far too dangerous to use inside an albergue. Lots of people on this forum swear by immersion heaters to make quick hot drinks.

Some Ideas:

1. Check the Decathlon, Forum Sport, Intersport and other large Spanish sports shops to see if they sell them.
  2. Gas is easy to buy in spain for a gas stove
  3. Consider making or buying a "hobo" stove and use whatever fuel is available.
  4. Contact Spanish Marathon Des Sables competitors to see where they buy their cubes as MDS competitors in use them but have to have them shipped to Morocco as it is illegal to carry them in your luggage on a plane.
  5. Contact Likeys in Wales and ask if they know where one can buy such items in Spain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used to own one. The solid fuel cubes are hard to light in windy conditions. The pocket stove took a long time to heat water ... I get too cold waiting for it to reach tea water status, particularly if I have to use snow to make water. Its easier to keep warm by walking. Further you can't take the cubes on a plane ... you may not carry anything flammable.

I would recommend a gas canister stove such as MSR Windpro as a significantly better choice for winter camping.

I would echo Kanga's recommendation that an electric immersion heater has much greater utility on the camino.

A stove is pretty much useless weight on the camino. You can't use it indoors at an albergue. There are not many places where you can find a dry place to sit out of the wind and brew up. There are lots of bars with heating that will sell you a cup of coffee or tea and a sandwich.

Are you thinking of using it while out on the path? Far too dangerous to use inside an albergue. Lots of people on this forum swear by immersion heaters to make quick hot drinks.

Yes for on the path only. Quick hot drink as I'm sure many of the usual little places to eat and drink will be closed.

Some Ideas:

1. Check the Decathlon, Forum Sport, Intersport and other large Spanish sports shops to see if they sell them.
  2. Gas is easy to buy in spain for a gas stove
  3. Consider making or buying a "hobo" stove and use whatever fuel is available.
  4. Contact Spanish Marathon Des Sables competitors to see where they buy their cubes as MDS competitors in use them but have to have them shipped to Morocco as it is illegal to carry them in your luggage on a plane.
  5. Contact Likeys in Wales and ask if they know where one can buy such items in Spain

Thanks for the great reply. Will look into it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used to own one. The solid fuel cubes are hard to light in windy conditions. The pocket stove took a long time to heat water ... I get too cold waiting for it to reach tea water status, particularly if I have to use snow to make water. Its easier to keep warm by walking. Further you can't take the cubes on a plane ... you may not carry anything flammable.

I would recommend a gas canister stove such as MSR Windpro as a significantly better choice for winter camping.

I would echo Kanga's recommendation that an electric immersion heater has much greater utility on the camino.

A stove is pretty much useless weight on the camino. You can't use it indoors at an albergue. There are not many places where you can find a dry place to sit out of the wind and brew up. There are lots of bars with heating that will sell you a cup of coffee or tea and a sandwich.

Knew about no carrying on airlines and not to use in albergues but didn't realise they were such a pain to use. Will probably rethink. Thank you :)

Hi Karen, I met a Scotish girl in mid April 2012 on the trail to Roncevalles and she used a lightweight flask which she filled with hot water before she left. She used to stop every now and again for a break and have a cup of tea. You can purchase very lightweight ones now at Amazon. I picked up a lightweight Thermos brand which I use for day walks here at home. The beauty of it is in hot weather you can carry cold beverages.

Hi Karen, I met a Scotish girl in mid April 2012 on the trail to Roncevalles and she used a lightweight flask which she filled with hot water before she left. She used to stop every now and again for a break and have a cup of tea. You can purchase very lightweight ones now at Amazon. I picked up a lightweight Thermos brand which I use for day walks here at home. The beauty of it is in hot weather you can carry cold beverages.

Now that's a great idea! Why didn't I think of it before??? We Brits have gotta have our tea! Lol.
Thanks wayfarer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Temper an insulated flask or thermos with boiling water the night before and refill in the morning with your favorite hot beverage. It will stay piping hot well into the afternoon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Temper an insulated flask or thermos with boiling water the night before and refill in the morning with your favorite hot beverage. It will stay piping hot well into the afternoon.

That's a good idea. Thanks. Now looking for a good super light flask. Looked up the one wayfarer suggested and it gets great reviews but is really expensive. Maybe I will get lucky on Friday with the sales :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My initial recommendation would be to not carry the extra weight of a stove and fuel. However, two ideas come to mind:

1. If you are just trying to warm a drink along the path, not anywhere where there is a fire danger, I recommend a folding (flat) metal stove with the hexamine fuel pellets. This combination is markedly lighter than carrying any of the backpacking stoves with a can of fuel. Yes, the round cans or propane fuel or white gas can be bought along the way, in larger towns and cities. There is ample and very good information here (above) about that. But, and IMHO it is heavier and larger than the folding stove with heat tab option.

2. The lightweight thermos idea is brilliant. However, I would compare the combined weight of the empty thermos versus the flat-folding stove and fuel tabs. Also, you should be able to "top off" the thermos at any open cafe or bar, as they all make coffee and tea. I am sure you can "buy" a fillup of hot water too.

As you would be carrying water anyway, I would not include that in the weight comparison. It is a "wash," or "mas o menas" (or or less) as they say...

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My initial recommendation would be to not carry the extra weight of a stove and fuel. However, two ideas come to mind:

1. If you are just trying to warm a drink along the path, not anywhere where there is a fire danger, I recommend a folding (flat) metal stove with the hexamine fuel pellets. This combination is markedly lighter than carrying any of the backpacking stoves with a can of fuel. Yes, the round cans or propane fuel or white gas can be bought along the way, in larger towns and cities. There is ample and very good information here (above) about that. But, and IMHO it is heavier and larger than the folding stove with heat tab option.

2. The lightweight thermos idea is brilliant. However, I would compare the combined weight of the empty thermos versus the flat-folding stove and fuel tabs. Also, you should be able to "top off" the thermos at any open cafe or bar, as they all make coffee and tea. I am sure you can "buy" a fillup of hot water too.

As you would be carrying water anyway, I would not include that in the weight comparison. It is a "wash," or "mas o menas" (or or less) as they say...

I hope this helps.

You would need to weigh off the weight of the thermos versus the stove, fuel, AND a pot (or cup) suitable for heating water.

Don't most if all barista machines in the bar/cafe's have a hot water spigot on them? I'm sure you could get a small insulated flask filled up for those cold days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this great reply. a lot of good info to help me decide. Love this forum! :)

I have tried the Trekmates fuel-less heating system.
Works well !
one small fuel cell with some added water creates a heating reaction which then heats the rest of the water - enough for 2 cups or 1 large mug. great for that tea when you are at top of hill.

Better to stop @cafe/bar, but when you can't, it works well

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.