• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Camino April 2017 - newbie

ElizabethN

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2017
Hello everyone , Elizabeth here.

I know this has likely been asked a million times over, but I have read mixed reviews on the weather and conditions for walking in April 2017. So please accept my apology for yet another question posted on this topic :)

This would be my FIRST Camino (hopefully first of many) and I have roughly planned my days, starting from Burgos - due to limited time - and given myself a leisurely 25days of walking!!??

My "long list" of questions...
1. If I arrive in Burgos over Easter weekend (15/16/17 April), should I pre-book accommodation?
2. Will I be able to get a Credentials from Burgos over this holy weekend? Or better to have it posted to ZAR?
3. If I pack minimal clothing to layer, a good windbreaker and rain cover should this suffice ... considering that I do not experience temperatures below 5C in South Africa (we have wind and rain... but not snow or blizzards)
4. I am a fit 35YO and do not normally walk with hiking poles, however if there's going to be slippery mud or melting snow, would you recommend this?

Thanking all in advance for answering the questions.

Very excited and nervous at the same time.

Hoping to meet some fellow April 2017 pilgrims soon :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1. Yes
2. Most likely yes, but contact your local Camino confraternity if they have/issue one - less stress.
3. Yes
4. You can always pick some up when the need arises.

Buen Camino, SY

For warmth in April all you need is a good fleece & a good rain coat & rain pants. It seems to warm up quick from the mornings, we just don't know what the weather will bring year to year, so just expect/prepare for a lot of rain. Then when it is beautiful life is good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For warmth in April all you need is a good fleece & a good rain coat & rain pants. It seems to warm up quick from the mornings, we just don't know what the weather will bring year to year, so just expect/prepare for a lot of rain. Then when it is beautiful life is good.

Thank you.

Definitely looking into additional rain cover like pants. Clearly a poncho only won't do the trick.

Thank you.

Definitely looking into additional rain cover like pants. Clearly a poncho only won't do the trick.
This is a topic many of us disagree poncho vs Rain coat in the end both work just fine. My only impute from many years of backcountry is buy the best breathable rain gear you can afford. As you will get soaked from sweat if your rain gear does not breathe. So my plug is for "Event" fabric.

Another thought if using a poncho you can find rain leggings that tie off on your pant belt loops, they can be lighter than full rain pants.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always suggest checking past few years weather for April on the weather website of your choice, dressing in the clothing you plan to wear, setting your house temp to the expected lows, and seeing how comfortable you are for walking, resting, and sleeping in whatever you plan to use. No one can tell you for sure what will work best, especially since April weather is so variable. Layers is a good idea, and if you are still cold you can buy more in the larger towns (just don't wait until you are in a remote place).

Rain gear you can/should try out well in advance of going on your trip--there are advocates for both systems, so you will need to decide that one for yourself. I liked a rain jacket and rain pants because it gave me something to wear if washing everything else I owned, and I used ponchos in the military and did not like them. But others swear by them. You won't know what you like until you try them. If it won't be raining where you live, outdoor sprinklers or indoor showers both work for trials. I also took a lightweight runners ball cap to wear under the hood of my jacket, the hoods on jackets and ponchos don't work well at keeping rain out of your eyes.

I was (I believe) quite fit when I walked, but was planning on the Norte and Primitivo in addition to part of the Frances. I saw no point in taking poles, but they were highly recommended by someone who walked the norte and primitivo--not for knees, but to help if walking through mud (which I expected to do in April/May). They were very useful (on each of the roads I walked) for keeping sure footing on the snow and ice I encountered at higher altitudes, and on the slippery mud at lower ones...as @SYates says, you can always buy them once in Spain, but I bought mine before I went to be sure I had a pair I wanted (fold up to fit in pack when not in use)...I don't know what the road is for the first few days out of Burgos, but I imagine you could find a place to shop if needed before Leon...and definitely Leon has sporting goods shops

Happy planning and Buen Camino

This is a topic many of us disagree poncho vs Rain coat in the end both work just fine. My only impute from many years of backcountry is buy the best breathable rain gear you can afford. As you will get soaked from sweat if your rain gear does not breathe. So my plug is for "Event" fabric.

Another thought if using a poncho you can find rain leggings that tie off on your pant belt loops, they can be lighter than full rain pants.

Buen Camino!
What brands of breathable rain gear can you recommend? I used a Ferrino poncho in May and that makes you soaking wet from sweat.

I think there is always a trade off in waterproof vs breathable...and everyone is different. I tend to be cold and it takes a while for me to break into a sweat. That said, I really liked my Marmot jacket (I think it was super mica version), I think the pants were Marmot PreCip

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think there is always a trade off in waterproof vs breathable...and everyone is different. I tend to be cold and it takes a while for me to break into a sweat. That said, I really liked my Marmot jacket (I think it was super mica version), I think the pants were Marmot PreCip
Thank you Smallest_Sparrow. The pants are worn over whatever you'd be wearing that day or as "stand alone" option?

Thank you Smallest_Sparrow. The pants are worn over whatever you'd be wearing that day or as "stand alone" option?
I wore them over my pants usually, and I believe that's what they are designed for but I couldn't swear to it. I sometimes wore them over shorts (when it was raining but I had hopes for nice weather at some point, later when walking finisterre-muxia, and a couple of times as pants so I could put everything else into a real washing machine:)it is important to remember it is all you are wearing in those situations...one of the two times I almost forgot and took them off when I began to get warm:eek:

if it was just intermittent light rain, and if it wasn't really cold, I just wore the jacket.some people take rain gaiters instead to keep pants dry, or if it's warm when walking just let them get wet. Since it was cold when I walked I wanted something to keep me dry, and add to warmth...but the pants definitely got used less than the jacket did.

What brands of breathable rain gear can you recommend? I used a Ferrino poncho in May and that makes you soaking wet from sweat.
I have 2 different brands but REI no longer has the 3 layer Event fabric so I purchase my rain pants from England the online store was Karrimore my new coat came from Montane. If you google Event Fabrics you will get a number of manufactures. The more layers the better. My old REI jacket even as worn out as it is still keeps me dry up to a couple days but it leaks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore them over my pants usually, and I believe that's what they are designed for but I couldn't swear to it. I sometimes wore them over shorts (when it was raining but I had hopes for nice weather at some point, later when walking finisterre-muxia, and a couple of times as pants so I could put everything else into a real washing machine:)it is important to remember it is all you are wearing in those situations...one of the two times I almost forgot and took them off when I began to get warm:eek:

if it was just intermittent light rain, and if it wasn't really cold, I just wore the jacket.some people take rain gaiters instead to keep pants dry, or if it's warm when walking just let them get wet. Since it was cold when I walked I wanted something to keep me dry, and add to warmth...but the pants definitely got used less than the jacket did.
Thanks again. I count on rain, as I plan to walk in May next year again. It will rain, it will probably snow in O'Cebrerio, so I have to prepare. As I said earlier, wearing the Ferrino poncho was OK for the rain, but it is not breathable, so I was wet on the inside. Not nice if it's cold outside.

I have 2 different brands but REI no longer has the 3 layer Event fabric so I purchase my rain pants from England the online store was Karrimore my new coat came from Montane. If you google Event Fabrics you will get a number of manufactures. The more layers the better. My old REI jacket even as worn out as it is still keeps me dry up to a couple days but it leaks
Thank you MTtoCamino for the direction. I'll research a bit and hopefully come to the right decision.

Thanks again. I count on rain, as I plan to walk in May next year again. It will rain, it will probably snow in O'Cebrerio, so I have to prepare. As I said earlier, wearing the Ferrino poncho was OK for the rain, but it is not breathable, so I was wet on the inside. Not nice if it's cold outside.

First, i apologize if this is something you know well already:
it is hard to say if Marmot breathes enough to keep you comfortable...it did for me. I'm not familiar with Ferrino, or if it breathes or is just waterproof. I'm assuming you got pretty warm/hot under the poncho, as well as wet (which I'm guessing was from sweat) so that may be tempered a bit by dressing to be a bit cool/cold under the rain gear when resting, and comfy when walking. I think all wet weather gear carries a risk that sweat won't evaporate quickly/at all...I dressed like I do for marathons, i.e. in clothes that makes me cold if I am standing still, and enough layers that I can keep removing to keep me cool while moving...that helps prevent moisture under the rain gear.

I dressed so I would be a bit chilly in the am, and removed layers from under the rain gear as the day warmed and with how strenuous the walk was so that I stayed cool while walking...never toasty. so as I walked off came scarf, vest, arm warmers, gloves, leg warmers, and by mid day, if still raining, i had on short sleeve t, light weight pants, rain jacket, and only rain pants if pouring or it was still really cold out. One day that I expected it might get warm (for walking) and raining, I used a bikini top under my t shirt so if I had to I could go down to just that and a rain jacket.

again, sorry if you know all this...in which case you may just need to experiment with different gear to see what you like. For me, Marmot was great (if pricey)...and it made the French walkers laugh when they saw it on my jacket.

I really, really recommend walking poles. Although the paths are good and it's perfectly possible to do it without, I swear by them because:
- going uphill is much, much easier
- going downhill is much, much easier - especially if raining, especially if rocky (eg down from Alto del Perdon)
- on the level it helps keep pace with a nice reassuring clickety click
- if you end up with a dodgy knee, ankle, or blisters, it takes 25% of the weight off
- also - as a woman walking solo - it gives me psychological confidence

With rain-trousers, my recommendation is to get very thin over-trousers, ie to put over your regular trousers, because:
- you don't wanna be stripping down to your knickers to change trousers if it starts raining
- waterproof trousers designed to be worn on their own are usually quite heavy - and you don't want to carry the extra weight of another pair just for rain; they're also usually pretty hot too, so you probably won't want to walk in them if it's not raining

I got the Rab trousers (185g) - ridiculously expensive, but they feel sooooo good! I was super-pleased when it rained so I could wear them!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Mac in a Sac makes very light but well made rain pants.

An Altus poncho (basically a plastic trench coat) with rain pants will have you, and bag, covered.

Add to that an handsfree umbrella and you are set. You can then wear the Altus open except for the velcro straps (unless in a flood) and have rainproff and breathable.

And Goretex shoes. Always Goretex, even in the middle of July.

Booking for your first night? Yes, always, regardless of Easter. That way you know where ypu are going and can work on getting over flight fatigue and jetlag faster. You may prefer a pension for the first night.

This being said, the "Cubo" ( municipal albergue ) doesn't take reservTions, but it's huge and will have room (but make sure you don't arrive after it closes), not sure about the nuns or Emaus. Check on the Ersoki or Gronze sites.

The "Casa del Cubo" will most likely have credenciales for sale, they can stamp it for you; they are less likely to be busy than the cathedral.

As for warmth, I would not worry so much about day time as you will be moving (as long as you are dry) but what about night time. What are you planning on as a sleeping bag?

I really, really recommend walking poles. Although the paths are good and it's perfectly possible to do it without, I swear by them because:
- going downhill is much, much easier - especially if raining, especially if rocky (eg down from Alto del Perdon)
- if you end up with a dodgy knee, ankle, or blisters, it takes 25% of the weight off

With rain-trousers, my recommendation is to get very thin over-trousers, ie to put over your regular trousers, because:
- you don't wanna be stripping down to your knickers to change trousers if it starts raining
- waterproof trousers designed to be worn on their own are usually quite heavy - and you don't want to carry the extra weight of another pair just for rain; they're also usually pretty hot too, so you probably won't want to walk in them if it's not raining

I got the Rab trousers (185g) - ridiculously expensive, but they feel sooooo good! I was super-pleased when it rained so I could wear them!
Yes I always use poles, folks who have not walked long distance may give those using an off hand comment but they keep us from face planting in mud or ice, saves your knees by reducing weight stress, keeps dogs back, & keeps your hands from going numb. Just remember to fold them up when getting into cities with large amounts of pedestrians. You can Poke little kids & adults, not something that is appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
emb020116marmot_1280x720.jpg

Couldn't help it.

and no, I don't work for Marmot.

Thank you MTtoCamino for the direction. I'll research a bit and hopefully come to the right decision.
I just noticed you are from Croatia. I walked with a fellow by the name of Vedran, he also walked the Portuguese this year. He would be a closer contact if you are interested I can PM you with his contact info.

I just noticed you are from Croatia. I walked with a fellow by the name of Vedran, he also walked the Portuguese this year. He would be a closer contact if you are interested I can PM you with his contact info.
I'm fine. I have all information to start my research, go to the store and see the items and then make a best possible guess. Thank you.

I know this has likely been asked a million times over, but I have read mixed reviews on the weather and conditions for walking in April 2017. So please accept my apology for yet another question posted on this topic :)

This would be my FIRST Camino (hopefully first of many) and I have roughly planned my days, starting from Burgos - due to limited time - and given myself a leisurely 25days of walking!!??

1. If I arrive in Burgos over Easter weekend (15/16/17 April), should I pre-book accommodation?
2. Will I be able to get a Credentials from Burgos over this holy weekend? Or better to have it posted to ZAR?
3. If I pack minimal clothing to layer, a good windbreaker and rain cover should this suffice ... considering that I do not experience temperatures below 5C in South Africa (we have wind and rain... but not snow or blizzards)
4. I am a fit 35YO and do not normally walk with hiking poles, however if there's going to be slippery mud or melting snow, would you recommend this?

Book first night only or if you arrive in Burgos early go to municipal albergue get your credential and bed. Forget about weather until nearer date, maybe 10 ahead. Buen Camino

The most breathable rain gear I have used are Frog Toggs. I use them to cover my leathers while riding my motorcycle they work well. They are good for wind, rain and snow. Because they breath the material is 'T-shirt thickness and very light weight, you have to wear warm under them, they will not keep you warm.

While on the Camino I kept hearing this from other people and so thought I would give the poles a try. I bought them and used them for about 150km and I had severe hip pain, they just threw my body out of whack. So I sent my pack off ahead, and left the poles at a hostel and a couple days later felt right as rain!

As for the weather conditions . . .
I am flying back to Canada from Bilbao on April 17th after walking on the Frances, so if we keep in touch I will be able to send you more current data on trail conditions just before you leave. (I will have my iPhone and email the entire time - I am doing GPS tracking for a Camino app I want to publish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
emb020116marmot_1280x720.jpg

Couldn't help it.

and no, I don't work for Marmot.

I love this. The night a French walker and I were the only two in the albergue, with no shared language, he finally got across to me why he found my jacket so funny.
I said "it's a mountain, right?" in English and Spanish, and sketched one.
He laughed, and in French and pantomime got across it was a big, fat ground squirrel.
when we both stopped laughing, he added it is also slang for ill-behaved children.
so I proudly wore my ill-behaved-child-acting-like-a-fat-rodent label...two subsequent encounters with French walkers confirmed the first thing they thought of was not the mountain....
of course, perhaps my personality helped the misconception:rolleyes:

I love this. The night a French walker and I were the only two in the albergue, with no shared language, he finally got across to me why he found my jacket so funny.
I said "it's a mountain, right?" in English and Spanish, and sketched one.
He laughed, and in French and pantomime got across it was a big, fat ground squirrel.
when we both stopped laughing, he added it is also slang for ill-behaved children.
so I proudly wore my ill-behaved-child-acting-like-a-fat-rodent label...two subsequent encounters with French walkers confirmed the first thing they thought of was not the mountain....
of course, perhaps my personality helped the misconception:rolleyes:
That is a nice connection story & it reminds us of cultural language uses.
Yet I feel the need to defend a very good looking creature. Marmots live in very high mountain altitude & are quite lovely with reddish hair, they are the size of a cat with the body that looks like a badger. They purch on granite boulders. Do to the altitude do not see many humans. So a person can get close & both they & humans seem to be fascinated looking at each other. They are not a rodent. :)

That is a nice connection story & it reminds us of cultural language uses.
Yet I feel the need to defend a very good looking creature. Marmots live in very high mountain altitude & are quite lovely with reddish hair, they are the size of a cat with the body that looks like a badger. They purch on granite boulders. Do to the altitude do not see many humans. So a person can get close & both they & humans seem to be fascinated looking at each other. They are not a rodent. :)
I agree they are lovely, and i think my French friend found my reddish hair part of the humor...we went through guessing a lot of animals as he tried to convey what this animal might be, until I finally understood --midway I thought it was some sort of rabbit, and my pantomime of rabbit really should be on you tube...however, to be truthful, they belong to the order Rodentia...other cute cuddly members of the include guinea pigs and bunnies. and full disclosure, I have in my time had pet rats and pet mice. I like rodents.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a lovely Marmot backpack, but received no comments on it's rodent heritage.

View attachment 30377
maybe you are not enough like either a pot-bellied ground squirrel in appearance, or a mischievous child in behavior for the comment....now I must have that back pack (please don't tell my Osprey)...or French walkers don't take you for one of their own and strike up hopeless conversations when they speak only French, and none of the five other languages you are willing to try.
edit: seriously love the pack...did it come with the shell on it?

image.jpeg
I agree they are lovely, and i think my French friend found my reddish hair part of the humor...we went through guessing a lot of animals as he tried to convey what this animal might be, until I finally understood --midway I thought it was some sort of rabbit, and my pantomime of rabbit really should be on you tube...however, to be truthful, they belong to the order Rodentia...other cute cuddly members of the include guinea pigs and bunnies. and full disclosure, I have in my time had pet rats and pet mice. I like rodents.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The most breathable rain gear I have used are Frog Toggs. I use them to cover my leathers while riding my motorcycle they work well. They are good for wind, rain and snow. Because they breath the material is 'T-shirt thickness and very light weight, you have to wear warm under them, they will not keep you warm.
Thank you for this... going to research to see if we get this in South Africa.

Londoner, thank you for the answers.

Yes, I made up my mind to get some hiking poles - might only get them in Burgos.

I found a SA brand of rain pants that you just wear over your normal pants and it's also less than 200g! Will water test these with a sprinkler ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tha
While on the Camino I kept hearing this from other people and so thought I would give the poles a try. I bought them and used them for about 150km and I had severe hip pain, they just threw my body out of whack. So I sent my pack off ahead, and left the poles at a hostel and a couple days later felt right as rain!

I am flying back to Canada from Bilbao on April 17th after walking on the Frances, so if we keep in touch I will be able to send you more current data on trail conditions just before you leave. (I will have my iPhone and email the entire time - I am doing GPS tracking for a Camino app I want to publish.

That would be amazing. thank you

Buen Camino

I've been using poles for my walks over the last 10 years or so. I think it's a must to get to know how to use them before you start a longer walk - and also to have them adjusted to the length that is right for YOUR body. It's said, among others by Brierley, that poles reduces the weight on your hips by about 25 % due to the transferring the weight to your arms and shoulders. So don't buy poles along the way, but when you're still at home and have the time to learn how to use them! :)

I've been using poles for my walks over the last 10 years or so. I think it's a must to get to know how to use them before you start a longer walk - and also to have them adjusted to the length that is right for YOUR body. It's said, among others by Brierley, that poles reduces the weight on your hips by about 25 % due to the transferring the weight to your arms and shoulders. So don't buy poles along the way, but when you're still at home and have the time to learn how to use them! :)
@inmari
I used a pair of walking poles on a backcountry walk in Canada, before going on Camino last time. I checked on the internet before starting that walk, to make sure that I was using them correctly. They did not work for me, so I went back to my use of a single wooden pole for my Camino. My arms and shoulders do not like extra weight, and walking poles are certainly not suitable for everyone. Each walker must choose his or her walking style based on personal experience.

Enjoy your Camino. I walked in April 2015, passing through Burgos mid month. Yes, do book if you will be in Burgos on Easter weekend. Easter is a amor holiday in Spain. I am sure the credential office will be open as usual that weekend. They are excellent with information. I took three changes of clothing, four of underwear and socks. Boots and running shoes. I used a lined windbreaker and a rain cape. The first few mornings out of Burgos were cool so I layered. By late morning I was down to shirtsleeves. Poles yes. I find them essential. There will be slippery paths and plenty of muddy trails when it rains. I used my poles constantly for balance on slopes and rocky areas. I am in excellent shape and have great balance but everyone needs help from time to time. And they are a comfort toward the end of the 14th day when you are in the 26th K!
Enjoy yourself
Bob

Apparently, I will be walking through Burgos at this time. Starting at SJPP on the 5th of April, and didn't realize I would be in a bigger place like Burgos during the celebrations. Should I try to get to the next town. Might be fun to se the festivities, but I don't want to stress about a place to stay.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I start from Saint-Palais 33 km from St.Jean Pied de Port 29/4.
When I walk fast enough who knows :)
Enjoy your Camino Frances !!!

Apparently, I will be walking through Burgos at this time. Starting at SJPP on the 5th of April, and didn't realize I would be in a bigger place like Burgos during the celebrations. Should I try to get to the next town. Might be fun to se the festivities, but I don't want to stress about a place to stay.

Oh that would be fantastic to meet up. The municipal albergue does not take bookings and there's about 150 beds.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi I have lived in SA for over 30 years and understand your problem book you first night, I walk in shorts but if it is cold put leggings on as well. In summer I use a poncho but spring and autumn waterproof jacket and trousers all lite weight. Use mix fabrics for T shirts etc that dry quickly no pure cotton etc.
I have walked through snow with all my clothes on and have had wet feet for weeks, and was fine. You are going to Spain a first world country with shops and lovely people if you pack the wrong thing you can buy what you need. By the way I have just finished the Primitivo at the age of 66.

Hi I have lived in SA for over 30 years and understand your problem book you first night, I walk in shorts but if it is cold put leggings on as well. In summer I use a poncho but spring and autumn waterproof jacket and trousers all lite weight. Use mix fabrics for T shirts etc that dry quickly no pure cotton etc.
I have walked through snow with all my clothes on and have had wet feet for weeks, and was fine. You are going to Spain a first world country with shops and lovely people if you pack the wrong thing you can buy what you need. By the way I have just finished the Primitivo at the age of 66.

Hi Suzmar

Thank you for the reply. I finalised a packing list and just focussing on items that I can layer. I most certainly won't pack anything too bulky and my rain jacket will likely be the heaviest item.

Buen Camino.

W
Londoner, thank you for the answers.

Yes, I made up my mind to get some hiking poles - might only get them in Burgos.

I found a SA brand of rain pants that you just wear over your normal pants and it's also less than 200g! Will water test these with a sprinkler ...
What is the name of the SA brand?

Oh that would be fantastic to meet up. The municipal albergue does not take bookings and there's about 150 beds.

Buen Camino
I leave on SJJP on the 7th April
Maybe our paths will cross?
I'm also a first timer newbie and walking alone
Very excited!

Buen Camino
I've stayed at that albergue multiple times, during peak walking months. I never saw it filled to capacity. You should have no problems.
Also when choosing gear, ditto on what was said earlier. If you end up needing something you forgot, lots of places in Spain along the Camino to get it. Also a great deal of the Camino Frances route is along improved surfaces. Blacktop, concrete, gravel etc. Don't be under the impression it's a wilderness walk. It's far from that.

€149,-
1. Yes
2. Most likely yes, but contact your local Camino confraternity if they have/issue one - less stress.
3. Yes
4. You can always pick some up when the need arises.

Buen Camino, SY
Worst advice is " you can get it if you need it." There are very few places you can buy something "when you need it." In some tiny villages we couldn't even find a loaf of fresh bread for lunch--just preserved packaged muffins. A little man is not going to be standing next to the slippery slope selling poles or new flip flops (it took me six days to find a new pair because of my large feet). That advice only works in big cities, and who needs poles in the city? We just finished SJPDP to Santiago--little rain and mud, but poles were invaluable on the many steep and rocky trails. Highly recommend the brand Pacer Poles--very comfortable in the hand, and you don't need a death grip to hold on.

Buen Camino from PilgrimDance's husband

Lol, we must have walked a different Camino Frances then ;-) Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

PS The OP plans to start in Burgos - big city, lots of shops including hiking/sports shops.

Hi!

Great to see some people are walking the Camino for the first time in April too :)
Anyone starting on April 2nd from Leon? Or on 1st from Madrid?

@ElizabethN , I'm a fit 35YO too, it's a pity we can't meet but I wish you a great time :)

I'm not going to use the poles, I hope they are not needed in that area for such a short distance.
I can't wait :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back