• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Solo Camino: Began in Porto (coastal)

Gii

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino: April 2022
Hello everyone!

I have given myself a couple of days to get the hang of everything being a solo black female on the Camino. I added my race in there in case any other black females were interested in doing this and I haven't seen a post about it as yet: representation matters.

Anyway,

Day 1: Porto airport(April 16-17)

Matoshintos-Povoa Varzim (April 18)
I did not get to explore city. I was too tired from my flight as I had been awake for 27 hours!

Began in Matoshintos did the coastal route. Not many Gluten free options here except a salad but hey, better than nothing and it was very delicious!

Extremely windy. Nothing like I had experienced before. So bad that at the end of the day I found sand in my pockets?! Not too many hills but the sand sure does slow you down. I'm assuming people weren't as friendly do the extreme winds? Let's go with that. I only saw 3 pilgrims but they were way ahead of me

Day 2: Povoa Varzim-Ponte de Lima (April 19 )
I had an awesome walk. Not knowing the language was a bit tough but used my app mapy.cz for help as well as the Camino app. I stayed at the Hotel Torre Mar. The owner of the hotel was exceptionally lovely and took me to a GF bakery and dropped me off on my way. I did not ask, she just took great care of me and I am forever appreciative of her hospitality. Left hip pain (joint pain from lupus diagnosis in 2020). Down hill it hurts like hell, uphill it's fine?

Day 3: Ponte de Lima-Valenca (April 20)
My favourite city thus far. This place is magnificent. The people were so kind. I didn't know the language as I mentioned before but folks kindly helped me out when I asked for directions in Ponte de Lima/ getting souvenirs for people back home. I even used bathroom at a pharmacy. I would definitely vacation here and would come back!
Through out the walk closer to Valença I met one family from Germany who had already gone to Santiago and now they are walking back. What stamina! The first pilgrims I've seen on this trip that spoke to me or weren't too far ahead for me to say hello in total ive seen maybe 4 people.. Moving on, I did not take enough breaks which I believe I pulled a muscle behind my right knee. Ohhh the pain. Rest, rest, rest, is what I did for the remainder of the night and will do a short walk tomorrow; 10k. I got my first stamp here Ponte de Lima. The city that made the most impact on me. I know going forward it's 2 stamps a day.

Day 4: Valenca-Tui (April 21) **SPAIN**
I'm on day 4 now. Currently in Tui. What a trip this has been!! Soo many hills. My legs surprisingly aren't tired. Just my calves and hip from the hills. I arrived here faster than expected and wanted to keep going but I had already booked my stay lol. My weird leg pain thing did not effect me surprisingly? I guess I'm getting used to putting the kms in. Yay me! Tomorrow is the long walk to Redondella. Wish me luck. 24k...

Oh. The folks here in Spain have been very nice and kind. More friendly than in Portugal towards me. Everyone smiling at me and greeting me. It feels really nice for a change. I got to my accomodation and a neighbor had called the owner for me as he was not picking up. I spoke with her, the little Spanish I know. She was kind and patient.

Attachments

• PXL_20220421_115754871.jpg
    PXL_20220421_115754871.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20220419_152941617.jpg
    PXL_20220419_152941617.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220421_115248917.jpg
    PXL_20220421_115248917.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20220419_155520430.jpg
    PXL_20220419_155520430.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220418_121818656.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220418_121818656.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20220420_121305478.jpg
    PXL_20220420_121305478.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220420_120023897.jpg
    PXL_20220420_120023897.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20220421_111634856.jpg
    PXL_20220421_111634856.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20220421_111138355.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220421_111138355.PORTRAIT.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20220419_125517108.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220419_125517108.PORTRAIT.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These are pictures from the first day. Now sure why it uploaded strangely.

Attachments

• PXL_20220418_113618154.jpg
    PXL_20220418_113618154.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220418_125504861.jpg
    PXL_20220418_125504861.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20220418_125012890.jpg
    PXL_20220418_125012890.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20220418_103814466.jpg
    PXL_20220418_103814466.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20220418_123352705.jpg
    PXL_20220418_123352705.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20220418_121818656.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220418_121818656.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20220418_153801956.jpg
    PXL_20220418_153801956.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220418_102854873.jpg
    PXL_20220418_102854873.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20220418_094956501.jpg
    PXL_20220418_094956501.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220418_153703828.jpg
    PXL_20220418_153703828.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
Hello everyone!

I have given myself a couple of days to get the hang of everything being a solo black female on the Camino. I added my race in there in case any other black females were interested in doing this: representation matters.

Anyway,

I did not get to explore city. I was too tired from mu flight as I had been awake for 27 hours!
Began in Matoshintos did the coastal route. Not many Gluten free options here except a salad but hey, better than nothing.
Extremely windy. Nothing like I had experienced before. So bad that at the end of the day I found sand in my pockets?!

I had an awesome walk. Not knowing the language was a bit tough but used my app mapy.cz for help as well as the Camino app. I stayed at the Hotel Torre Mar. The owner of the hotel was exceptionally lovely and took me to a GF bakery and dropped me off on my way. I did not ask, she just took great care of me and I am forever appreciative of her hospitality. Left hip pain (joint pain from lupus diagnosis in 2020). Down hill it hurts like hell, uphill it's fine?

My favourite city thus far. This place is magnificent. The people were so kind. I didn't know the language as I mentioned before but folks kindly helped me out when I asked for directions in Ponte de Lima. I would definitely vacation here and would come back!
Through out the walk o met one family from Germany who had already gone to Santiago and now they are walking back? What stamina! The first pilgrims I've seen on this trip that spoke to me or weren't too far ahead for me to say hello in total ive seen maybe 4 people.. Moving on, I did not take enough breaks and my I believe I pulled a muscle behind my right knee. Ohhh the pain. Rest, rest, rest is what I did for the remainder of the night and will do a short walk tomorrow. I got my first stamp here. The city that made the most impact on me. I know going forward it's 2 stamps a day.

I'm on day 4 now. Currently in Tui. What a trip this has been!! Soo many hills. My legs surprisingly aren't tired. Just my calves and hip. I arrived here faster than expected and wanted to keep going but I had already booked my stay lol. My weird leg pain thing did not effect me surprisingly? I guess I'm getting used to putting the kms in. Yay me. Tomorrow is the long walk to Redondella. Wish me luck. 24k...
Oh. The folks here in Spain have been very nice and kind. More friendly than in Portugal towards me. Everyone smiling at me and greeting me. It feels really nice for a change.
Glad you're enjoying it and people are friendly. We're arriving tomorrow and staying 2 nights in Tui so setting out on Monday. Will be following your progress. 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Glad you're enjoying it and people are friendly. We're arriving tomorrow and staying 2 nights in Tui so setting out on Monday. Will be following your progress. 🙂
Lots of hills, be prepared! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I have given myself a couple of days to get the hang of everything being a solo black female on the Camino. I added my race in there in case any other black females were interested in doing this and I haven't seen a post about it as yet: representation matters.

Anyway,

I did not get to explore city. I was too tired from my flight as I had been awake for 27 hours!

Began in Matoshintos did the coastal route. Not many Gluten free options here except a salad but hey, better than nothing and it was very delicious!

Extremely windy. Nothing like I had experienced before. So bad that at the end of the day I found sand in my pockets?! Not too many hills but the sand sure does slow you down. I'm assuming people weren't as friendly do the extreme winds? Let's go with that. I only saw 3 pilgrims but they were way ahead of me

My favourite city thus far. This place is magnificent. The people were so kind. I didn't know the language as I mentioned before but folks kindly helped me out when I asked for directions in Ponte de Lima/ getting souvenirs for people back home. I even used bathroom at a pharmacy. I would definitely vacation here and would come back!
Through out the walk closer to Valença I met one family from Germany who had already gone to Santiago and now they are walking back. What stamina! The first pilgrims I've seen on this trip that spoke to me or weren't too far ahead for me to say hello in total ive seen maybe 4 people.. Moving on, I did not take enough breaks which I believe I pulled a muscle behind my right knee. Ohhh the pain. Rest, rest, rest, is what I did for the remainder of the night and will do a short walk tomorrow; 10k. I got my first stamp here Ponte de Lima. The city that made the most impact on me. I know going forward it's 2 stamps a day.

I'm on day 4 now. Currently in Tui. What a trip this has been!! Soo many hills. My legs surprisingly aren't tired. Just my calves and hip from the hills. I arrived here faster than expected and wanted to keep going but I had already booked my stay lol. My weird leg pain thing did not effect me surprisingly? I guess I'm getting used to putting the kms in. Yay me! Tomorrow is the long walk to Redondella. Wish me luck. 24k...

Oh. The folks here in Spain have been very nice and kind. More friendly than in Portugal towards me. Everyone smiling at me and greeting me. It feels really nice for a change. I got to my accomodation and a neighbor had called the owner for me as he was not picking up. I spoke with her, the little Spanish I know. She was kind and patient.

Love your pics.

Enjoy.

Do keep posting.

Bom caminho.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone!

Anyway,

Your pictures are beautiful! I’m also a black female walking the coastal route starting tomorrow. I hope my experience is as wonderful as yours.

Your pictures are beautiful! I’m also a black female walking the coastal route starting tomorrow. I hope my experience is as wonderful as yours.
Nice! I wish you the best of luck.

I haven't seen any other black pilgrims but that was to be expected. I believe I've seen a total of 5 black people on general and a few from Senegal that came here Spain which was interesting.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 5: tui (half wayish)- redondela.
Toooo tiring for my liking lol. I did end up taking the industrial way so it's easier on my joints. Im trying to be mindful of my body and listen to it when it says enough is enough lol. I've met quite a few people now which is nice to see. Lots of folks showed up in Tui at the cafe and a few on my walk. Many people were paired up so didn't want to bother them but those that did say hello and smile along the way, thanks! I definitely don't mind the solo part at all. Lots to think about.

I finally went to a grocery store. Man, Canada sucks on their prices for GF options. I did a nice haul today and it was VERY cheap.

First day In a hostel, I know noise is to be expected, here we go.

I didn't take much picture today, but here they are.

Attachments

• PXL_20220422_085302013.jpg
    PXL_20220422_085302013.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20220422_123603109.jpg
    PXL_20220422_123603109.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220422_111927604.jpg
    PXL_20220422_111927604.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
I finally went to a grocery store. Man, Canada sucks on their prices for GF options. I did a nice haul today and it was VERY cheap.
Canada sucks on its non-GF options, too! I figure our food bill for 2 when we stay in small-town Portugal is about 35-40% of what it is in Vancouver, BC. And that excludes anything alcoholic like wine or beer, which is ridiculously cheaper in Portugal.

Restaurants as well. The equivalent of the menu do dia isn't even available at a fixed price. But 7.50 or 8 euros ($11 or $12) worth would cost me at least $25 in Canada, I think.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone!

Anyway,

Hello Pilgrim, I enjoyed reading your journey. My friend and I are going to start de coastal way in May. I hope the wind won’t be as bad. Enjoy the rest of your camino and courage with your body screaming at you…listen to it and rest! Buen Camino!

Hello Pilgrim, I enjoyed reading your journey. My friend and I are going to start de coastal way in May. I hope the wind won’t be as bad. Enjoy the rest of your camino and courage with your body screaming at you…listen to it and rest! Buen Camino!
I wish you guys the best of luck! Today is a rest day for me as I'm fairly sore but I'm nearly at the end so I'm excited! Thank you for the encouragement

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 6/Day 7: pontevedra-caldas de reis

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I was fairly tired.

The day was a tough one as it walked in the rain for the majority of the time. There's nothing I hate more than wet shoes and boy did I have wet shoes. I did see a pilgrim with plastic bags on his feet and will steal the idea if it rains again in my last upcoming days. I had extra pairs of socks that were easily reached (good placement on my end) and I am grateful I did so as it helped when I saw an opened cafe. I have no idea where I was, but I swear I was walking up a hill for 30 minutes lol. This trip really makes you learn how strong your body is and how far you can push it when your mind thinks it's over.

I met some awesome people along the walk which was nice and encouraging. One that stood out the most were this man from Holland and a woman from France. Provided me with tips on walking up hills (take tiny steps or walk backwards).

Finally made it to Pontevedra. This city is vibrant and I finally was able to get a proper GF meal without having to go to the grocery store. It was really nice! This place has so many beautiful historical architecture. I recommend stopping here.

My hostel mates were kind and I loved the place I was at. Very clean and the spot was right on the camino trail. Some of my bunk mates had walked 37k that day and had blisters covering their feet. They ended up taking the train this morning to Santiago and they couldn't walk any further both were from Portugal and Spain.

Day 7 which is today.
A rest day. I didn't want to overwhelm my body as I was feeling sluggish and tired in the morning with a sore throat. Did a COVID test. Negative. Thank God. I took a bus to caldas de Reis. Everything is closed on a Sunday. I had a couple of things left from my grocery trip so I was good good wise.

Until tomorrow!

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_133228794.jpg
    PXL_20220423_133228794.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220423_113838039.jpg
    PXL_20220423_113838039.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220423_135444786.jpg
    PXL_20220423_135444786.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220423_075459182.jpg
    PXL_20220423_075459182.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220423_135238682.jpg
    PXL_20220423_135238682.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20220423_065508359.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220423_065508359.PORTRAIT.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220423_124419020.jpg
    PXL_20220423_124419020.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220423_142036155.jpg
    PXL_20220423_142036155.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220423_114203010.jpg
    PXL_20220423_114203010.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220423_095149845.jpg
    PXL_20220423_095149845.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Day8/Day 9: Padron-O Milladoiro

Was too tired to post so here I am again

In Padron- nothing was opened except the grocery stores. No gluten free options and surprisingly none of the opener cafes had any lactose free milk which was new! That's okay. It was only a resting place. I went to the Botanical gardens. Some pilgrims were sleeping on the grass. It was a nice warmish day.
In Carracedo, I met the most awesome man. He was so lovely! His name is Quinín Garcia, a school teacher. He explained how he stops some pilgrims to let them know about the school. These children were adorable and kind. A little girl named Anna provided me with a shell and he explained that once I reach my final destination (home in Canada) to take a picture with th shell so they know I arrived safely. That was extremely touching and it made me happy.

Day 9:
The walk today from Padron to O Milladoiro: On the last stretch of the leg. I finally reached my stay. I'm at albergue Milladoiro. This place is awesome, and fancy. One of my favourites that's for sure. The hospitality has been great. It has all the amenities you'll need. Clean! Clean! Clean! If you aren't in a rush to finish, I'd say stop here.

I feel like all I do is repeat myself but it is the truth: nothing but hills lol. My legs are getting stronger which is nice. Taking baby steps may be slow, but you'll waste less energy. I met a cute kitty along the way. I really wanted to bring it home lol. It was raining for quite a while but I had put plastic bags in my shoes this time. Thinking again so I don't have to deal with wet socks. Overall it was a nice walk. Not too much hip pain. I am thankful.

Tomorrow is the big day. Thank God I've made it this far!

Untill then, cya tomorrow

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_144900928.jpg
    PXL_20220425_144900928.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220425_092927071.jpg
    PXL_20220425_092927071.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220425_132301657.jpg
    PXL_20220425_132301657.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220426_120453397.jpg
    PXL_20220426_120453397.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220426_120810043.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220426_120810043.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20220425_104546573.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220425_104546573.PORTRAIT.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220426_104555694.jpg
    PXL_20220426_104555694.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220425_105011165.jpg
    PXL_20220425_105011165.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220425_105003738.jpg
    PXL_20220425_105003738.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220426_131404105.jpg
    PXL_20220426_131404105.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Wonderful to read about your journey. Keep the posts and recommendations coming! Gracias.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All of my accomodations if anyone is interested, I've booked everything on booking.com and had to do some 2-3 days in advance. It was a bit hard as I had to force myself to make it to these distances but all sold out if I had done it the day of.

Hotel Torre Mar- Povoa de Varzim: excellent. Would recommend. Host was amazing. A bit expensive but it was a hotel.

Pousada de Juventude-Hi Ponte de Lima: overpriced! Very cold, would not recommend to anyone.

Hotel Val Flores-valenca: bar was really loud, soundproofing seemed non existent. Other than that it was decent.

Guest house Clarevar-Tui: needs a bit more soundproofing as you can clearly hear conversations. Very comfortable bed. Could control the heat. Host was like. Provided you with a bunch of information. Can check it early.

Santiago de villavela- Redondella: first hostel experience. Comfortable bed, warm, had laundry, toaster, fridge, provided breakfast for a price.

Slow city hostel- Pontevedra***: awesome place. Comfortable bed. Heater, fully equipped kitchen, fridge. Con, right by street so it can be loud.

Hotel o cruceiro- caldas de reis: bar downstairs was very loud. Overall it was okay.

Hotel chef rivera- Padron: everything was closed. Could have been the timing on my part. No GF options. Comfortable bed.

Albergue Milladoiro- O Milladoiro: host was awesome, cooked a meal for us. It was really nice. It felt like family even though I had no idea what folks were saying for most of the time. I know basic spanish.
Comfortable bed. Warm showers. Fully equipped kitchen. Tv, book and fire place. Very comfortable.

Enjoying your posts Gii. My wife and I did the inland Portuguese in 2019. I hope to do the coastal route some time soon. Loved Portugal and that Camino. All the best on the rest of your Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gii,
Thanks so much for your updates they will be so useful for future pilgrims.
Looking forward to reading that you have safely arrived in Santiago.
Carpe diem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much, @Gii for the wonderful photos and great reports! Makes me want to reconsider one of the Portuguese caminhos! Maybe the Coastal...
Enjoy your big day tomorrow!! So happy for you!

Hello everyone!

Anyway,

I hope you enjoy the rest of your Camino! Great pics. 😊 Buen Camino!

Day 6/Day 7: pontevedra-caldas de reis

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I was fairly tired.

The day was a tough one as it walked in the rain for the majority of the time. There's nothing I hate more than wet shoes and boy did I have wet shoes. I did see a pilgrim with plastic bags on his feet and will steal the idea if it rains again in my last upcoming days. I had extra pairs of socks that were easily reached (good placement on my end) and I am grateful I did so as it helped when I saw an opened cafe. I have no idea where I was, but I swear I was walking up a hill for 30 minutes lol. This trip really makes you learn how strong your body is and how far you can push it when your mind thinks it's over.

I met some awesome people along the walk which was nice and encouraging. One that stood out the most were this man from Holland and a woman from France. Provided me with tips on walking up hills (take tiny steps or walk backwards).

Finally made it to Pontevedra. This city is vibrant and I finally was able to get a proper GF meal without having to go to the grocery store. It was really nice! This place has so many beautiful historical architecture. I recommend stopping here.

My hostel mates were kind and I loved the place I was at. Very clean and the spot was right on the camino trail. Some of my bunk mates had walked 37k that day and had blisters covering their feet. They ended up taking the train this morning to Santiago and they couldn't walk any further both were from Portugal and Spain.

Day 7 which is today.
A rest day. I didn't want to overwhelm my body as I was feeling sluggish and tired in the morning with a sore throat. Did a COVID test. Negative. Thank God. I took a bus to caldas de Reis. Everything is closed on a Sunday. I had a couple of things left from my grocery trip so I was good good wise.

Until tomorrow!
I’m glad you made it through the rain! I’m going on the coastal route in June and hoping for not too much rain. 😊 I am enjoying following your journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am finally home and settled, had a a few nights rest in my own bed. I feel recharged but still jetlagged even though I wasn't when I was in vacation?

Alright back to the good!

The say of walking was of course hilly! But before i get to that, the day started off great. I had a fairly peaceful night which I was was ironic since usually I don't sleep well at hostels. I got up, packed my bag and ate some breakfast. I everyone had already gone, keep in mind, this was 745/8! I guess folks were more eager!

As I walked out the door, I wished myself luck. Coming out of the area wasn't difficult. There's a forested path that leads right to the Camino so it it was perfect. Of course I met a couple of animals. This one cat kept following me. It broke my heart with all the meowing. Sooo cute! It also began to rain but I was prepared. I put plastic bags over my socks and into my shoes. No wet feet for me! It rained a lot. I'd say for the from 2-4k it was wet! This was mainly forested as well which I thought was peaceful end. I knew I was close because I was beginning to hear and see the city. Cars were up and about and I saw a few locals.

Finally in Santiago now. It's honestly a continuous hill that never ended but the include was not bad. Very manageable!! The city leading to the Cathedral was busy. Stores and people everywhere. I didn't mind it at all. I got excited. I was beginning to see more people with backpacks that have already gone and see the Cathedral as they were walking the opposite way. Souvenir shops to the left and right of me. People offering food samples, it was quite the experience.

I finally see the Cathedral and I am in awe! It is enormous. Way bigger than I expect. So beautiful. I felt overwhelmingly proud of all the steps and struggles and pain I endured to make it here. I felt so proud of myself. What an accomplishment. I had done this alone. I explored and walked around taking many pictures to remember it all. I did it. I went to the pilgrims office as well. No long wait times. I was please.

I hope you all have a wonderful experience when reaching the Cathedral. Religious our not, God bless you!

Until the next Camino ♥️☺️

Attachments

• PXL_20220427_092301268.jpg
    PXL_20220427_092301268.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220427_072754524.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220427_072754524.PORTRAIT.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220427_094535923.jpg
    PXL_20220427_094535923.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220427_093350990.jpg
    PXL_20220427_093350990.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220427_093909665.jpg
    PXL_20220427_093909665.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220427_085711021.TS.mp4
    66.2 MB
  • PXL_20220427_094010193.jpg
    PXL_20220427_094010193.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220427_091711676.jpg
    PXL_20220427_091711676.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220427_093045176.PANO.jpg
    PXL_20220427_093045176.PANO.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220427_082601095.jpg
    PXL_20220427_082601095.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
Gii,
Good to know that you have arrived safely home. Thank you for sharing your memories and pics here on the forum. May reading/seeing them also give you pleasure as you recall your camino. Carpe diem.

Thank you so much Gii for sharing your experience with us. I leave next week to hike the Portuguese Coastal. I planned to hike the Camino with a friend, but she broke her ankle and had to cancel. I decided to walk alone because so many women have said they did so and enjoyed it. I have been a bit apprehensive about walking alone, but reading your posts I am much more excited about my trip.

All the best to you... hope you get over your jet lag soon!

€60,-
I am finally home and settled, had a a few nights rest in my own bed. I feel recharged but still jetlagged even though I wasn't when I was in vacation?

Alright back to the good!

The say of walking was of course hilly! But before i get to that, the day started off great. I had a fairly peaceful night which I was was ironic since usually I don't sleep well at hostels. I got up, packed my bag and ate some breakfast. I everyone had already gone, keep in mind, this was 745/8! I guess folks were more eager!

As I walked out the door, I wished myself luck. Coming out of the area wasn't difficult. There's a forested path that leads right to the Camino so it it was perfect. Of course I met a couple of animals. This one cat kept following me. It broke my heart with all the meowing. Sooo cute! It also began to rain but I was prepared. I put plastic bags over my socks and into my shoes. No wet feet for me! It rained a lot. I'd say for the from 2-4k it was wet! This was mainly forested as well which I thought was peaceful end. I knew I was close because I was beginning to hear and see the city. Cars were up and about and I saw a few locals.

Finally in Santiago now. It's honestly a continuous hill that never ended but the include was not bad. Very manageable!! The city leading to the Cathedral was busy. Stores and people everywhere. I didn't mind it at all. I got excited. I was beginning to see more people with backpacks that have already gone and see the Cathedral as they were walking the opposite way. Souvenir shops to the left and right of me. People offering food samples, it was quite the experience.

I finally see the Cathedral and I am in awe! It is enormous. Way bigger than I expect. So beautiful. I felt overwhelmingly proud of all the steps and struggles and pain I endured to make it here. I felt so proud of myself. What an accomplishment. I had done this alone. I explored and walked around taking many pictures to remember it all. I did it. I went to the pilgrims office as well. No long wait times. I was please.

I hope you all have a wonderful experience when reaching the Cathedral. Religious our not, God bless you!

Until the next Camino ♥️☺️

Gii,

Thanks for sharing.

Really enjoyed your posts.

Congratulations.

Time to plan next camino.

Buen camino.

I was getting worried because I had been following your posts and hadn’t seen that you had arrived. So happy to know you made it! We begin our walk from Porto on the 9th more informed because of your posts.

@Gii I will do the coastal June 8. What application did you use for keeping track of maps and booking hotels. Also, for sleeping do you need more than a liner? I enjoyed your photos seems like a great Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So happy you made it! Loved reading about your journey!

I was getting worried because I had been following your posts and hadn’t seen that you had arrived. So happy to know you made it! We begin our walk from Porto on the 9th more informed because of your posts.
Thank you for your concern. That's so sweet!

@Gii I will do the coastal June 8. What application did you use for keeping track of maps and booking hotels. Also, for sleeping do you need more than a liner? I enjoyed your photos seems like a great Camino.
For accommodations I used booking.com

I only used a sleeping sac once when there were bedbugs.

I used the mapy.cz app for keeping track of where to go. I also had to book from here but never used it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I, too, was a bit concerned, @Gii, so I'm delighted to see you're safely home! Wonderful photos! Thanks for taking us along!!
Buen Camino - as it continues ...

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back