• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Camino?

ladywalker#1

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
I am a 57 year old female who will probably end up doing the Camino solo. I do not know anyone with that kind of available time or the desire for that matter. Is this something that I should hesitate about. Is there a way I can connect with pilgrims so I at least have someone to begin the Camino with in SJDPP. I am planning to go possibly in mid June of this year, but have not booked my flight. I will be flying from Detroit? Please advise!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking from St Jean solo might turn out to be the best thing you ever did! I would advise you not to make any concrete plans to meet up with or start out with anyone, but also strongly recommend that you stop over at Orisson or Huntto on the first night. You are bound to meet someone at your lodging in St Jean, maybe someone else who is walking alone, that you can go out and eat with, or you might meet someone out and about - St Jean is tiny and pilgrims are easily spotted! Staying at Orisson not only gives you an easy start, but the communal meal and spirit there is fantastic and you will not be alone from the moment you get there. Don't worry, it will all work out for you. Buen Camino!

No problem finding people to walk with. Upon arrival . I was on the Frances April/May 2014 @ 58. But it is my preferred method of travel globally. For me it's "go solo or no go" - I've walked all over the Middle East etcetcetc solo. You will most likely have the opposite problem - staying solo. No worries whatsoever! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am a 57 year old female who will probably end up doing the Camino solo. I do not know anyone with that kind of available time or the desire for that matter. Is this something that I should hesitate about. Is there a way I can connect with pilgrims so I at least have someone to begin the Camino with in SJDPP. I am planning to go possibly in mid June of this year, but have not booked my flight. I will be flying from Detroit? Please advise!!!
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you want to walk Camino Frances since you posted in CF thread. If you plan to start anywhere between late April and early October I'm sure there will be plenty of other pilgrims en route. So there should be no worries about companionship. Most possible you'll find your Camino family already on the first day, especially if you plan to start from St.Jean Pied de Port.

I don't know much about overseas air connections but most (you haven't mentioned where you want to fly from) Northern Americans or Aussies/Kiwis fly to either Madrid/Barcelona in Spain or Paris in France. With possible stop in England (London Stansted has good connections with Biarritz). There are many threads on these topics which you can quite easily find with Search engine here on the forum.

Happy planning and Ultreia!

Walking from St Jean solo might turn out to be the best thing you ever did! I would advise you not to make any concrete plans to meet up with or start out with anyone, but also strongly recommend that you stop over at Orisson or Huntto on the first night. You are bound to meet someone at your lodging in St Jean, maybe someone else who is walking alone, that you can go out and eat with, or you might meet someone out and about - St Jean is tiny and pilgrims are easily spotted! Staying at Orisson not only gives you an easy start, but the communal meal and spirit there is fantastic and you will not be alone from the moment you get there. Don't worry, it will all work out for you. Buen Camino!
Thank you so much - this is so helpful and inspiring!

I am glad - I was just thinking that was a bit harsh advising against making plans to meet people, but it really is true that you find people, lose them, sometimes find them again, walk away from some and walk well with others, and it is such a great experience to let go of planning and fear sometimes and just let what happens, happen. And what if you end up having a meal on your own? It can be a great treat to have some alone-time before you join the hordes of pilgrims! Trust me: all will be well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you want to walk Camino Frances since you posted in CF thread. If you plan to start anywhere between late April and early October I'm sure there will be plenty of other pilgrims en route. So there should be no worries about companionship. Most possible you'll find your Camino family already on the first day, especially if you plan to start from St.Jean Pied de Port.

I don't know much about overseas air connections but most (you haven't mentioned where you want to fly from) Northern Americans or Aussies/Kiwis fly to either Madrid/Barcelona in Spain or Paris in France. With possible stop in England (London Stansted has good connections with Biarritz). There are many threads on these topics which you can quite easily find with Search engine here on the forum.

Happy planning and Ultreia!
Thanks so much. I am feeling more at ease already about going solo! I have been watching flights out of Detroit to Madrid, Barcelona, and Paris all with one stop only. Madrid seems to be the most economical. I think I will take the advice of searching for threads on the topic. I can't believe how quickly people responded to my post. Thanks again!

No problem finding people to walk with. Upon arrival . I was on the Frances April/May 2014 @ 58. But it is my preferred method of travel globally. For me it's "go solo or no go" - I've walked all over the Middle East etcetcetc solo. You will most likely have the opposite problem - staying solo. No worries whatsoever! Buen Camino!
Ha! I have heard this as well - that sometimes you WISH you could have some solo time. You are really an inspiration with all your global adventures. That is so awesome. I hope you had a buen camino last spring!

June? You will certainly not be solo, but sometimes you might actually dream of a bit of solitude o_O
Buen Camino! SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just imagine the freedom you will have to enjoy a 2nd cafe con leche in the morning, or to stop and cool your feet under a bridge, to have dinner with different people every night. All this vs being told all the time to get up earlier, dress faster, slow down when going up hill or down hill, and having to endure that same person day after day ;0)

You will meet many people, often will wish you could really walk in silence even if walking solo, you will probably get more from your Camino doing it solo vs walking with people you know. I have walked out 4 times, always "solo" and never "alone", even when noone was walking with me, because when "alone" I was enjoying being with myself. Enjoy the freedom you probably have not had for many years in your "daily home life".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are not going to find out if someone is a good walking partner until you are actually walking. Some people like to walk at a brisk pace and take frequent breaks. Others like to walk a slower pace and only take a one or two breaks a day. Some like to wake up before dawn and hit the Camino while others like to have a full breakfast before strapping on their backpacks. Some people like to walk in relative silence (especially when grinding out a long uphill climb), others like to chat away constantly. Some think their far right/left political beliefs are absolutely correct and everyone needs to hear them. Others keep things like politics and religion to themselves until they know that their walking partner is receptive to that kind of conversation.

I have seen people make the "you and me all the way to end" commitment to complete strangers on the train to from Bayonne to SJPP only to be tired of one another in a few days because their walking styles (or their political/religious beliefs) are in harsh conflict. Before you know it, one of them is faking an injury and taking a couple of unnecessary days off in order break the "you and me to the end" commitment without causing hurt feelings.

This is why you are hearing from Camino veterans to wait until the Camino to find a walking partner. After a few days you notice who walks at your pace, who gets up at the same time, who takes the same number of breaks, and who keeps their political and/or religious beliefs to themselves unless notified that those topics are welcomed. You naturally gravitate to these people because your walking styles (and political/religious beliefs) are in harmony instead of in conflict.

Met a few solo ladies and they were having no problems. One girl was a bit concerned walking in the early morning dark and asked if we would walk with her. Of course we did but when the sun came up she was off, no way I could keep up with her. Met her some time later and she cooked me a lovely dinner. You will be safe and meet a lot of marvellous people and make friends for life. Do not worry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you!!!
You will be very surprised about what is in store for you. Do not be afraid. You will meet people who care for you and will take care of you. The world is a better place than you think, and with good people that will help and support you. Such is the Camino. You should also keep in mind: Why do you walk the Camino? Those you meet are good people with similar thoughts you have. Help them, and you will be helped, and lifted on the Way.

Have no fear: You will meet some fantastic new friends on your Way. Some /one will even change your life, perhaps (If you are lucky).

I advice you to embark on an unbelieveable journey of your life: You do not know it now, but you can come back later and in all earnesty reveal to this forum what you learned. I bet you will have learned a lot, and all for your own good. Good on you!

Buen Camino!

Edit: I always walk alone, close to 61 years of age that I am. That way I can create new friendships, as well as walk in solitude when I want to. And I must say: I love to talk with young pilgrims about issues in life and faith, and I am impressed by their insights: Age is no issue on the Camino, as long as you can walk a bit. Just do it!

Last edited:
I walked solo, I'm a bit older than you.
You will meet people starting your first night in an albergue. If you had planned to walk with a group, you would soon ditch them, so it's good you plan on walking solo from the get go. You will find your own pace, stop and look at things only you want to stop and look at, take detours and optional trails only you want to walk on, linger at bars and restaurants only you want to linger at, and will be free to discover your own "Camino family."
It's going to be great and the adventure of a lifetime.
Buen Camino.

I am a 57 year old female who will probably end up doing the Camino solo. ............? Please advise!!!

There you have it ladywalker#1, your first sets of advice. Now that you feel happier about things all that remains to be said is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, enjoy your planning and preparations and of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUEN CAMINO!

It is also my first time walking the camino. My flight is booked for 14th june 2015. I will also be walking alone from Leon and is looking forward to making a lot of friends along the way.

Hi I am of a similar age as yourself, walking solo and have just booked my flight and first night stopover at Refuge Orisson. Starting mid April, hopefully to avoid the crowds of summer and have cooler weather whilst walking......just could not imagine myself walking in some of the temperatures quoted. I have read so many positive entries on this site that my only worry is that I wont want to go home.......he he.....Good luck with your planning and enjoy your Camino

I am also female and walking alone. A couple of people offered to go with me but I said no thanks. This is something I want to do solo. I'm looking forward to it!

Hi I am of a similar age as yourself, walking solo and have just booked my flight and first night stopover at Refuge Orisson. Starting mid April, hopefully to avoid the crowds of summer and have cooler weather whilst walking......just could not imagine myself walking in some of the temperatures quoted. I have read so many positive entries on this site that my only worry is that I wont want to go home.......he he.....Good luck with your planning and enjoy your Camino
Good luck to you as well. I know I'm getting more nervous as the date approaches. I'm a teacher so I will leave literally 1-2 days after school gets out. I'm a little nervous about the heat. I hope you have an awesome Camino. Muchas gracias for your reply.
It is also my first time walking the camino. My flight is booked for 14th june 2015. I will also be walking alone from Leon and is looking forward to making a lot of friends along the way.
maybe we will see each other! I'm planning on booking the 13th but will begin the walk from stdpp.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In my first "Camino", I met an Austrian pilgrim young girl, only 15 years old, was alone.
A year later, walking down the "Camino" with my daughter, when we returned to our house, Surprise, I could not believe what I saw, I found again this pilgrim doing the "Camino" in winter.
You will not be sola at any time
I usually walk solo but not alone

I would suggest you consider flying directly to Paris and then take an EasyJet flight to Biarritz the same day. I question any advice to fly to the UK and then to France. I am flying from LAX to CDG to BIQ in April to start the CF from SJPdP. I found that was the best alternative for me. Good luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi FIona. My soon and I plan to depart from SJPdP on 11 April.

I'm very, very excited for you :). With great desire and a bit of fear as well, I did my first camino last May/June. I did it solo - many friends were concerned about that decision, and that is because it is hard to imagine how amazing and how easy it is to be alone (or not) on the camino. I think we compare doing it alone to walking 500 miles alone across part of the U.S., and there simply is not any comparison. Enjoy your planning, and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks so much. I am feeling more at ease already about going solo! I have been watching flights out of Detroit to Madrid, Barcelona, and Paris all with one stop only. Madrid seems to be the most economical. I think I will take the advice of searching for threads on the topic. I can't believe how quickly people responded to my post. Thanks again!

I am so glad that you started to look into tickets. It does not matter where, just jet to Spain or France. Barcelona is closer, and is a much more interesting city to visit. If the cost is not that much different, chose Barcelona or Paris.

I started as a solo woman pilgrim, ended walked with other single women at different stages and also alone for some time, it was great. We have the flexibility go solo or with friends. Do not hesitate. This is one of the best things that I did ever. Will never forget it. Worth every minute, e very step!!

Burn Camino!

This is why you are hearing from Camino veterans to wait until the Camino to find a walking partner. After a few days you notice who walks at your pace, who gets up at the same time, who takes the same number of breaks, and who keeps their political and/or religious beliefs to themselves unless notified that those topics are welcomed. You naturally gravitate to these people because your walking styles (and political/religious beliefs) are in harmony instead of in conflict.

Good advice! :)

Another travel route to consider is London and then to Biarritz...

Regards finding people to walk with - I saw an interesting tip on here - if you are walking with someone and talking with them and want to know if they are happy to walk with you, stop to tie your shoe. If they stop then they are showing a willingness to be with you, if they walk on without noticing, then you would be better finding another companion.

Enjoy :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.