• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Coastal Route June 2022

Lillie

Time of past OR future Camino
Lèon-Muxia in May (2017)
After much wonderful advice from everyone here on what to do for my second Camino, I have just booked my flights for the Portuguese Coastal Way in June ‘22.
Any words of wisdom from solo walkers or those who have done the coastal route would be greatly appreciated!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After much wonderful advice from everyone here on what to do for my second Camino, I have just booked my flights for the Portuguese Coastal Way in June ‘22.
Any words of wisdom from solo walkers or those who have done the coastal route would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Lillie
Just a few observations.
If you choose not to follow the official route rather than the Senda Litoral you initially follow the same route as the Central. After about 5k you need to turn off to follow the coastal route, around Padrao de Legua. This turn is not well signed and easily missed. It happened to me and my first day involved quite a cross country trek to get back on track.
Vigo is a nightmare both on the way in and out. It is very busy and signage is poor. A sizeable group of lost pilgrims teamed up as we met each other to find the alberque. However, the old port makes it almost worth the hassle.
Instead of walking into Padron myself and some pilgrims stopped at Pontecesures. Padron is only 3k further on and there are far better facilities available there as we discovered from other friends later.
Buen Camino
Vince

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi!

Coastal was great and as above Porto is a great city to visit loads to do and the waterfront is lively!
I second the opinion on Vigo.
But keep an eye on the pigeons🤣
You will have a wonderful time.
Buen Camino
Woody

Attachments

• VID-20210918-WA0009.mp4
    7.7 MB
  • VID-20210918-WA0016.mp4
    5.9 MB
  • VID-20210920-WA0005.mp4
    7.8 MB
  • VID-20210925-WA0069.mp4
    769 KB
Hi!

Coastal was great and as above Porto is a great city to visit loads to do and the waterfront is lively!
I second the opinion on Vigo.
But keep an eye on the pigeons🤣
You will have a wonderful time.
Buen Camino
Woody
Oh my goodness the pigeons! I am definitely allotting a couple days in Porto for jet lag and exploring thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Instead of walking into Padron myself and some pilgrims stopped at Pontecesures. Padron is only 3k further on and there are far better facilities available there as we discovered from other friends later.
Vince is right on target here. Lot more facilities in Padrón. Also, Padrón has several sites related to the St. James story (such as the pedron stone in the Santiago church and the Santiaguino do Monte shrine) that are well worth visiting if you have time. May help you to reflect on the meaning of the Camino before arriving in Santiago de Compostela.

The instructions below were given to me by a fellow pilgrim and were more accurate than any of the guides I had. To enter Vigo I followed the coast literally walking on the beach to the port. I found a cheap hotel there and in the morning I headed to Rúa Urzáiz, the main artery of the city. that is the key, get yourself to Rua Urzaiz. (taxi to Plaza de Fernando el Catalico to simplify the start). Once there, you have to follow Rua Urzais upwards, passing the Plaza de Fernando el Catoli Cross Rua Pizarro and continue straight ahead, crossing Avenida Alcalde Gregorio Espino.
Without abandoning Rúa Urzáiz at any time, which will have been transformed into a pedestrian boulevard, you pass through the neighbourhood of O Calvario. After passing through the local market, pass 3 streets and turn on the right-hand side by Rúa de Toledo, that is, the 4th Street that you will find on the path.
At this corner, Urzáiz with Toledo, begin the yellow arrows of the Camino de Santiago. Following them then cross an avenue and arrive next to the Church of the Immaculate Conception, known as the Church of the Peaks. Pass with the church on the right, ascending, by Rúa Toledo. We follow it to Rúa Cantabria, turn left.
Cross the Avenida del Aeropuerto, which corresponds to the N-556 road and continue straight on, in ascent, passing by a civic centre and a blue-coloured building which is the city’s water company (Aqualia). Without abandoning Rúa Cantabria at any time, continue advancing 350 metres more, between small houses and some bars.
When you arrive under a power supply station, you will begin to enjoy a good panoramic view of Vigo and its river. At this point, the street changes its name and is called Rúa da Pouleira, which ascends to a fountain with the same name. then the way marks are clear.
After Ponteverde consider diverting to follow the Variante Espiritual, such a great route

The instructions below were given to me by a fellow pilgrim and were more accurate than any of the guides I had. To enter Vigo I followed the coast literally walking on the beach to the port. I found a cheap hotel there and in the morning I headed to Rúa Urzáiz, the main artery of the city. that is the key, get yourself to Rua Urzaiz. (taxi to Plaza de Fernando el Catalico to simplify the start). Once there, you have to follow Rua Urzais upwards, passing the Plaza de Fernando el Catoli Cross Rua Pizarro and continue straight ahead, crossing Avenida Alcalde Gregorio Espino.
Without abandoning Rúa Urzáiz at any time, which will have been transformed into a pedestrian boulevard, you pass through the neighbourhood of O Calvario. After passing through the local market, pass 3 streets and turn on the right-hand side by Rúa de Toledo, that is, the 4th Street that you will find on the path.
At this corner, Urzáiz with Toledo, begin the yellow arrows of the Camino de Santiago. Following them then cross an avenue and arrive next to the Church of the Immaculate Conception, known as the Church of the Peaks. Pass with the church on the right, ascending, by Rúa Toledo. We follow it to Rúa Cantabria, turn left.
Cross the Avenida del Aeropuerto, which corresponds to the N-556 road and continue straight on, in ascent, passing by a civic centre and a blue-coloured building which is the city’s water company (Aqualia). Without abandoning Rúa Cantabria at any time, continue advancing 350 metres more, between small houses and some bars.
When you arrive under a power supply station, you will begin to enjoy a good panoramic view of Vigo and its river. At this point, the street changes its name and is called Rúa da Pouleira, which ascends to a fountain with the same name. then the way marks are clear.
After Ponteverde consider diverting to follow the Variante Espiritual, such a great route
Great I will save this, thank you for such good details!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great I will save this, thank you for such good details!
I walked alone too and never felt vulnerable in any way. I remained aware of my surroundings and also planned my night time stops the day before. Only once was I caught out and that was on the first part of my walk from Lisbon to Porto. I managed to get to Santiago to celebrate my 70th birthday as I had hoped I could do. Travel well and just enjoy every moment, even that agonising last 500 Metres to end of each day.

I've just finished the coastal 2 weeks ago and can recommend!

From Porto follow the river out to the ocean, and then follow the ocean north. wonderful walk.

I thought it was extremely well signed (also in Vigo), no problems at all.

Used the Camino Ninja app, maps.me and booking for everyday planning.

There's a lovely new albergue in Oia (La Cala).

The crossing into Spain was no fuss at all, when I arrived at the campsite I was almost immediately approached by a guy who set me over for 5 euro.

If you have the time, I can recommend the Espiritual too.

Enjoy, buon camino

Very helpful, thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ola,
My wife and I completed the Costal Route last summer and we decided to start by walking west along the Rio Douro and turning north at the Atlantic Ocean, where you’ll soon see you first Camino direction shell. Porto is a nice city where you might want to stay a night and start the Camino in the morning. Actually, we’ve just completed a Camino and are spending a night in Porto and will visit Fatima tomorrow before heading back to our villa at the Algrave at the south of Portugal. There’s a new shell marker at the Porto Cathedral since last summer with the painted arrow showing the direction towards the river. I would also suggest taking the water taxi (5 euros) at Caminha into Spain rather than walking miles to the closest bridge to double back towards the coast. Happy trails and Buen Camino…

Attachments

• 3220EC1B-2DE5-403C-87CF-019C531E4CFA.jpeg
    3220EC1B-2DE5-403C-87CF-019C531E4CFA.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ola,
My wife and I completed the Costal Route last summer and we decided to start by walking west along the Rio Douro and turning north at the Atlantic Ocean, where you’ll soon see you first Camino direction shell. Porto is a nice city where you might want to stay a night and start the Camino in the morning. Actually, we’ve just completed a Camino and are spending a night in Porto and will visit Fatima tomorrow before heading back to our villa at the Algrave at the south of Portugal. There’s a new shell marker at the Porto Cathedral since last summer with the painted arrow showing the direction towards the river. I would also suggest taking the water taxi (5 euros) at Caminha into Spain rather that walking miles to the closest bridge to double back towards the coast. Happy trails and Buen Camino…
Thank you for the tips, definitely planning on a day in Porto before beginning. It looks gorgeous.
Do you need to book the water taxi ahead of time or is it pretty available? Thank you.

@Lillie I will be on the same trail. I plan to start June 8 at A Guardia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ola,
My wife and I completed the Costal Route last summer and we decided to start by walking west along the Rio Douro and turning north at the Atlantic Ocean, where you’ll soon see you first Camino direction shell. Porto is a nice city where you might want to stay a night and start the Camino in the morning. Actually, we’ve just completed a Camino and are spending a night in Porto and will visit Fatima tomorrow before heading back to our villa at the Algrave at the south of Portugal. There’s a new shell marker at the Porto Cathedral since last summer with the painted arrow showing the direction towards the river. I would also suggest taking the water taxi (5 euros) at Caminha into Spain rather than walking miles to the closest bridge to double back towards the coast. Happy trails and Buen Camino…
Did you bus or took the train to Fatima? I really want to see Fatima and will stay an extra day in Porto for this. Thanks for the info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just finished last week- pack light and long sleeve for the sun. There were a funny super hot days. Check the weather it is raining now.

Oía - La Cala A Pilgrims Inn is the best albergue in my entire tour. Stay there if you can.

And in Padrón area Camiño de Viera another great albergue…. I’d go to both on regular holiday :)

Caldas de Reis-I had a bad experience at a Quiromaaagae place- I filed a sexual harassment. And am staying longer to now testify - There are nice Bernal waters to soak york feet.

When you leave stop at Carrexedo Schol- they have a surprise for pilgrims. You don’t even have to go in. Stand by the window where the kids are. Tell the teacher the Honduran pilgrim sent you- he will remember.

I did the coast by A guarda and it was a bit of coast and lots of mountains- that was nice and cool. Lots of waterfalls and fountains to soak your feet- there was a heat wave so that helped.

Hikers wool was super useful. I didn’t get a blister but had full on boots and really keep feet cooled and rested along the day.

I also went solo which I enjoyed a lot (minus this massage guy)

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back