• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo female on the camino de levante?

KLR

Time of past OR future Camino
Thinking about doing my first camino
Hello all,

I am considering doing my first camino and the levante appeals to me for two main reasons: 1) It covers some diverse regions and gives the opportunity to experience "Cervantes''" Spain in a unique way 2) I get the impression that it allows for more solitude than the other more well trodden paths. As much as I would like to walk alone through this landscape, the thought of actually doing so makes me feel rather nervous from a safety point of view, especially given the stories that I have read about women being harassed on some of the other routes. I would be interested to hear your opinions on how safe you think this camino is for solo female travellers. How often, on average, is one likely to see another pilgrim or local?
Thanks in advance :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi KLR and firstly you are quite correct on your assumptions. If you walk in the Spring you will meet a few people and the numbers are increasing, but it's still a very "quiet" camino compared to the Frances. You will also be walking across the La Mancha and round San Clemente, Las Pedronaros and notably El Toboso you really get the "Cervantes" atmosphere. Security. Well, I'm male, and walked a large part of it alone in 2012. Since then a good pilgrim friend called Laurie (Peregrina2000 long time member) at least started alone, although she did meet two other pilgrims after a few days, and they walked on together. If you want to take a chance on meeting a few people, you could start in late april/early May, and then you also get the Spring flowers. If not, September this year might be ok. There are very few completely empty stages, but Almansa to Higueruela, and the first part of the road to Avila are fairly empty. There are, of course, villages and towns of varying size along the whole route and between Avila and Zamora the countryside becomes gradually more densely populated. I loved the Levante, and it remains my favorite Camino, so I hope this has been of some assistance. I unfortunately lost my notes on the road, when my PC crashed, but Laurie has perhaps still, the full set which I sent her, plus her own notes.
Buen Camino. Kev

I walked solo in September/October 2009. It was my first Camino. It was hard but I loved it. As Kevin says, numbers are slowly building up. I was the only pilgrim from Valencia to Toledo, so it is possible you may be alone.
I'm male. I didn't have any security worries at all, but it would be good to hear from women who have walked it to get their take on this.
Buen Camino
Andy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi KLR!
I am female and walked the camino de Levante alone this last March. I saw no other pilgrims, there was a man a day ahead of me and I think there was a couple a day or 2 behind me so in some ways it is the luck of the draw whether you are alone or not.
Whether one enjoys a camino or not is a very personal thing. The Levante was interesting because it was through Cervantes country and an area I did not know. Having said that my other feelings were mostly negative. I always walk in Spring and Autumn and have walked alone before but this was the only time I walked 4 weeks without seeing another pilgrim and, for me, other pilgrims are what make a camino special. I prefer countryside that undulates and I found La Mancha altogether too flat and the lack of shade and long days were a real put off.
I never felt unsafe. I speak Spanish so I was able to communicate in the towns I passed through and also with the various people who spoke to me on the way and I have never felt threatened by a man stopping his car to ask where I am going or offering me a lift.
You need to be aware, also, that if there is only one other pilgrim walking the same route as you you can end up sharing a room with a total stranger, even if this stranger is male. I have become accustomed to sleeping with strange men:D and I have never felt unsafe; if I found I was walking with anyone who gave me the creeps I would probably change my walking schedule but it is something to think about if you are walking your first camino.
I confess that I stopped in Toledo and started again in Zamora and it was lovely to have company even though , for a few days there were only 2 of us.
Just a few thoughts:)
All the very best with your plans
buen camino, Sue

Hola!

On Levante at the moment. From albergue log books I see that from at least Algemesi two Slovenian ladies are walking ahead, one 2 weeks and the other one 3-4 days. It seems like everything is normal. Same for me but I'm a male if your main concern is being female.
I would guess that in a week time-grand there are about 5 or 6 of us. I don't think you should have any fears walking Levante alone.
And it's not that hot because cold northern wind is almost constantly blowing.

Ultreia!

Hola!

On Levante at the moment. From albergue log books I see that from at least Algemesi two Slovenian ladies are walking ahead, one 2 weeks and the other one 3-4 days. It seems like everything is normal. Same for me but I'm a male if your main concern is being female.
I would guess that in a week time-grand there are about 5 or 6 of us. I don't think you should have any fears walking Levante alone.
And it's not that hot because cold northern wind is almost constantly blowing.

Ultreia!

Hi Kinks, yep I remember sitting in a ditch about halfway to Chinchilla, munching away on my bread and chorizo, and glad to be out of the wind for a few minutes. This was in April 2012. The wind did seem to moderate a bit north of La Roda. . We are all different. For my part i liked the solitude, but I was glad when my wife joined me north of Toledo. It's an incredibly beautiful Camino, and I still feel tempted to do it again. Buen Camino !!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all,

I am considering doing my first camino and the levante appeals to me for two main reasons: 1) It covers some diverse regions and gives the opportunity to experience "Cervantes''" Spain in a unique way 2) I get the impression that it allows for more solitude than the other more well trodden paths. As much as I would like to walk alone through this landscape, the thought of actually doing so makes me feel rather nervous from a safety point of view, especially given the stories that I have read about women being harassed on some of the other routes. I would be interested to hear your opinions on how safe you think this camino is for solo female travellers. How often, on average, is one likely to see another pilgrim or local?
Thanks in advance :)

Hello. Without wishing to sound patronising, this is definitely not one to do as your first. I am a Taurean so would not give up. The first week is dispiriting, the second confusing as you are faced with local way marking, camino del Sureste, de la Lana and Ruta de Don Quixotte. You need nerves and a compass.

I would recommend via de la Plata from Sevilla.

I met many hardened walkers who gave up on the Levante. I was often alone. Toledo and Avilla were highlights though!

Hello. Without wishing to sound patronising, this is definitely not one to do as your first. I am a Taurean so would not give up. The first week is dispiriting, the second confusing as you are faced with local way marking, camino del Sureste, de la Lana and Ruta de Don Quixotte. You need nerves and a compass.

I would recommend via de la Plata from Sevilla.

I met many hardened walkers who gave up on the Levante. I was often alone. Toledo and Avilla were highlights though!
Although I would second that this is no first time Camino, I would also add that definitely you don't need compass. At least if you have some decent sense of orientation (i.e. sun at your back from Xativa on etc.). There are some points where you have to stop and thoroughl think things over, hahaha.
Greetings from La Puebla de Almoradiel!

It certainly wasn't my first camino, but last year I met two young (30-35 both of them, I'd guess) people, one Spanish man (and his dog) and a Dutch woman, both walking alone on their first caminos and both doing fine. Didn't meet many people on the Levante, but didn't meet anybody who gave up.

Hi Kinky, hope you're having a good time in LaPdA - I was there on a market day and picked up some delicious fruit, but walked on to La Villa de Don Fadrique. There's a lovely little old ruined bridge for you on the outskirts tomorrow morning. Would strongly recommend avoiding the Kuki [sic] bar in Almonacid de Toledo in a few days - unless you like eating in an unfriendly smokey all male bar with barely concealed racists (they were talking about North African migrants ...). If, like me, you decide not to eat in the Kuki, you'll need to buy some food in Villanueva de Bogas if do you stay in AdT, as there's no mini mercado there: the acogida in the swimming pool changing rooms is VERY basic, but has hot showers and loos (and is free).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was my first Camino. Thoroughly enjoyed it

It certainly wasn't my first camino, but last year I met two young (30-35 both of them, I'd guess) people, one Spanish man (and his dog) and a Dutch woman, both walking alone on their first caminos and both doing fine. Didn't meet many people on the Levante, but didn't meet anybody who gave up.

Hi Kinky, hope you're having a good time in LaPdA - I was there on a market day and picked up some delicious fruit, but walked on to La Villa de Don Fadrique. There's a lovely little old ruined bridge for you on the outskirts tomorrow morning. Would strongly recommend avoiding the Kuki [sic] bar in Almonacid de Toledo in a few days - unless you like eating in an unfriendly smokey all male bar with barely concealed racists (they were talking about North African migrants ...). If, like me, you decide not to eat in the Kuki, you'll need to buy some food in Villanueva de Bogas if do you stay in AdT, as there's no mini mercado there: the acogida in the swimming pool changing rooms is VERY basic, but has hot showers and loos (and is free).
Hola, Alan!
I'm three days from Zamora now. Bar Kuki is very ..., how to put it best, ahm, interesting at least. Kind of soft core version of Tarantino's or Rodrigues' bars in their movies :rolleyes:
But there is supermercado in Almonacid and quite close to piscina. Changing room was just fine with me ;)

Hola, Alan!
I'm three days from Zamora now. Bar Kuki is very ..., how to put it best, ahm, interesting at least. Kind of soft core version of Tarantino's or Rodrigues' bars in their movies :rolleyes:
But there is supermercado in Almonacid and quite close to piscina. Changing room was just fine with me ;)
Hah! Glad somebody else has experienced the Kuki's unique "charm" - Tarantino is right. I was quite happy in the piscina changing room, but it's probably not for the more fastidious ...

Enjoy Zamora, very jealous

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @KLR I see that you haven't posted since your started the thread but just in case you come back here is my opinion.

I personally would not walk this Camino as my first unless you like total solitude. Yes numbers are up but that doesn't mean that you will meet anyone

I walked Valencia-Toledo last July with a Camino buddy (male, I'm female) and was glad to have the company -but not beause I felt unsafe. We meet one other pilgrim - a French woman of 70+, no one else. We both have walked many times and speak Spanish.

Last April (started on Easter Sunday) I did Toledo - Zamora alone and meet only 2 pilgrims who coincided with me 2 days. Per the logbook I was number 33 in Avila but in Sieteiglesias only number 11 for the year (January - begin April). This meant that I basically walked 11 days alone. This was easier than my previous experience walking alone (Granada-Mérida 16 days without seeing anyone). Neither times did I feel unsafe.

Maybe in the spring you will have beter luck meeting a few people but don't expect it.
Cheers,
LT

Thanks for the information @LTfit.

I am planning on this camino next. I am glad to hear it is safe. I am not counting on meeting other pilgrims after what I have read, though I may be counting down the days until it joins up the via de la plata!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back