• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo (female) walker alert

HumbleWalk

Time of past OR future Camino
walked September 2012 and Jul/Aug 2013
I (female) walked solo from SJPdP to Logrono from 5 Aug 2013 and returned home safely. The walk was amazing and had no blisters or other inconveniences (of course I prepared myself as good as I could).

The following occasion is I think important to mention for solo walker like me. Entering Viana I walked by myself in the heat of the day, in a quiet farm land on the right side of the path I saw a shirt left by someone, thought nothing further and kept walking.

Suddenly a shirtless guy appeared from the farm on my left and started to walk behind me, (with that shirt in his hand). I thought he was just some guy from the area working in the farm. Although he did not look like a farm worker, more like a guy doing work-out but why in the farm, who knows (handsome, youngish, six pack body). From the shadow I saw and noticed he walked so close behind me that I begun to be suspicious, I turned my head to face him and to let him pass me.

As it turned out, he was not planning to walk pass me at all, he wanted to start a conversation. He was local, so he said and from Logrono.

At first, I did not mind but short after he started to say how beautiful I was and started to be so friendly by putting his hand under my elbow. I did not like it and thought long and hard as to how to get rid of him quickly.

In the end I had the courage to be firmed and pointed with my walking stick to leave me alone. He was shocked and acted surprised (said sorry), but I did not care, I walked fast ahead and dared not look back. I prayed he would disappear and not harmed me from behind my back. Then I noticed he disappeared and I was then so happy to be in the city of Viana where I could breathe normally and had coffee.

That was my first real scary experience on the Camino. I did not prepare myself for this, as I concentrated my self more on difficult routes along the way which I successfully handled. I understand, I was lucky I was not robed or raped and things like that, but I wish women could feel safe entirely. After this experience, I wonder if I will take another try to walk alone on the Camino.

Has anybody else experienced this? I was not sure if I should have reported this incident to someone/authority, but now I think it is better to alert others just to be aware of the situation and be prepared.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Men from southern Europe has a reputation for being very flirtatious and maybe that was what you experienced? I have had the same experience in Rome as a single (blond, female) traveller. When I sat down for a breather I was approached by the Italian men that just wanted to start a conversation and see if I was interested in having dinner with them.

When you say that he was scocked when you blew him off I believe that he was meaning no harm to you. For Spanish, Italian and maybe also Greek men chatting up women is in their blood. And when you tell them that you are not interested then they usually leave you alone. Off course you can come across men that is very "in your face", but that have never happened to me on my travels...

Better safe than sorry! He probably was just overly friendly, but you were right to blow him off firmly. Ditto fellow pilgrims on the make. There are quite a number hoping for a second youth!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
he may have been just overly friendly, but you can never know if you never saw him before. doing several long walks/hikes, I am not overly surprised if, once or twice in several months, a bloke appears thinking that he can benefit from the situation that I am alone. I had several such experiences (with local blokes, a tourist, even a pilgrim), fortunately all of them ended well, even with a french bloke who outwardly asked me to sleep with him! (this one I had to kick in the balls to get the message across.) staying calm and firm has proved to be the best way, and afterwards I tell this to someone, most likely a hostel owner or local people I meet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
and started to be so friendly by putting his hand under my elbow.

Well, I would not qualify this as a "normal flirty behaviour" of southern men.
I do not want to frighten anyone - and fortunately I never have been annoyed on a camino - but none of the Spanish, Greek, Italian or Portuguese I ever met would behave like that.

Being on the camino is indeed a quite save place, but it is not a utopic world far from reality without any annoyance.

I'm sure he would be shocked to read this.
If "he" is the perpetrator, I doubt his reaction would be shock. I suspect he knew what he was doing, and has done it repeatedly. A fellow pilgrim from Costa Rica/Germany spent a couple of days shedding a stalker who became attached to her in Burgos. He followed by car, and sought her out each evening. There is very little normal about interaction between the local Spanish and pilgrims that goes beyond a bar or restaurant. At the front door, it becomes stalking. A non-pilgrim on the trail does not have chance encounters; he has intent.

Thank you for sharing this. I think it is always good to have a healthy dose of suspiciousness. It can be hard to distinguish sincere kindness from false kindness, but better safe than sorry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anybody else experienced this?

It's sounds like what happened to you was street harassment. You can read about it here, for example: http://howmanywomen.tumblr.com/

Maybe it helps to read the stories other women are telling. It has nothing to do with the camino, it can happen anywhere. And I think you did the right thing.

If "he" is the perpetrator, I doubt his reaction would be shock. I suspect he knew what he was doing, and has done it repeatedly. A fellow pilgrim from Costa Rica/Germany spent a couple of days shedding a stalker who became attached to her in Burgos. He followed by car, and sought her out each evening. There is very little normal about interaction between the local Spanish and pilgrims that goes beyond a bar or restaurant. At the front door, it becomes stalking. A non-pilgrim on the trail does not have chance encounters; he has intent.
Something similar happened to me twicw in Paris where the guys followed me for 2 hours...I finally snapped, cursed at them and threatened to go to the police. They quickly turned around in shock.

It's sounds like what happened to you was street harassment. You can read about it here, for example: http://howmanywomen.tumblr.com/

Maybe it helps to read the stories other women are telling. It has nothing to do with the camino, it can happen anywhere. And I think you did the right thing.

I actually wonder does these men, or any men realise how uncomfertable so many of us feel being accosted so often, looks, snide remarks, passed up on the streets, flashed and so on. I for one, not even considering myself paranoid am acytely aware of my inferior physical female status whenever walking down a dark deserted road, having been in so many uncomfertable situations where intent was unclear that I stopped counting years ago. Not including actual physical harm, being followed by a flasher on a deserted highway in a middle eastern country to groping, graps, comments and so forth and so forth, and I dont think my share is higher than other womens, just the avarage amount of everyday harassment...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No you don't. Just be alert like you should be anywhere. The Camino is probably one of the safest place to travel.

To the females who have posted on this thread - harassment in any form is unacceptable and when I read of, or hear of it against women in this nature I get angry. Angry because not only is it demeaning, insulting and belittling towards women it is also a slur against men who are more aware, intelligent and considerate than those that do this sort of thing. I apologise for the behaviour of my fellow 'man' and wish I didn't need to, life is too short to have that sort of person invade it and make anyone feel it's necessary to be on the alert.

To the males who have posted on this thread - thank you.

Pieces. - I believe that's one the longest posts I've seen from you in reply to a thread. I am n no way naive, mainly because of the things I get involved in at work and to read that you refer to 'just the average amount of everyday harassment' makes me ashamed of some who are the same gender as I am.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
oh great iam planning to walk solo in October maybe need to find walking body

Just fix a whistle on your bag and take a walking stick with you.
It is a good thing not to feel defenceless.

(in any case both items are very useful when walking alone - altough you very likely won't need them to drive off men)

As others have said .. this behaviour has not to do directly with the Camino... unfortunately it is a fact of life no matter where we are..... also not restricted to any particular country or section of the world.

Women need to be aware, empowered, and know the value of their own inner strength.... do not be scared but take any precautions you see fit... get to know your inner strength and intuition. It will help you in lots of situations.

I for one will never allow fear... of such things as this... to stop me from being adventurous and going where I wish. I do, however, think ahead, take precautions, and do not put myself in obvious danger .

The creeps who intimidate women are weaklings and gutless..... regard them as such and dont give them power

Thanks everybody for all replies and responses. Actually the scary feeling already begun when I continued from Roncesvalles (and further) when some paths were dark and deserted, unlike when I started from SJPdP. I am surprised by this feeling as I walked alone also from Sarria to Stg last year when everything went well and I am so not used to feel this way.

I love being a woman for many reasons---the gift of giving birth I mean was just AWESOME---I L-O-V-E-D my babies; then they become teenagers, but I digress. I do wonder at how it must feel to be a man and walk around like you own your body. I watch my husband: He is not even thinking about his safety! I am in awe. I know there are situations where men don't feel that way---like when my husband is pressured to fight for my (alleged) honor (once), but I believe they are far fewer and farther between than what women experience. Three times I was nearly raped. Once at home in California, once in Canada and once in India. By God's grace, the amazing kindness of strangers and by Sunday school instruction (act really crazy and throw up a la Linda Blair---it worked for me!) I was able to escape. Also, a big dose of pure luck. I am sure there are many, many other women like me who have been through this. Sexual harassment is rampant, especially if you refuse to let it curtail your experiences and be in the world. Being nearly raped was devastating; I can only imagine how terribly horrible the experience must be and I am confident the victims did everything possible to avoid it.

That being said, I am also pretty confident that the Camino will be very safe. I say this as a retired criminal attorney who is a wee bit paranoid. (BTW, sexual assault happens to older woman; it is a about power not sexual attraction.) But, I'm not leaving everything to chance. I am carrying walking sticks, a whistle and a mace disguised as a lipstick container. (If only it doubled as lipstick!) I will also dress conservatively and talk freely about my (maybe, maybe not) sexually transmitted diseases :) Or, I noticed if you act very religious and talk like Joan of Arc must have (in very Catholic northern Spain) that also helps. I am religious, but ain't no Joan, not even in the same continent as her.

God bless you on your walk HumbleWalk, and thank you for bringing up this important topic. Be safe and have fun!

Hola! Just back from an amazing 40 day walk, alone, from Roncesvalles to Santiago. I am sorry to revive this thread, but after much thought, I decided it could be helpful. Somewhere between Portela and Valcarce (Brierley's stage 26) I was photographing cows and quite alone on the trail. I turned to keep walking and a local man (who was clearly waiting and watching for a solo female) stepped out of the bushes 25 yards away in my path and was vigorously masturbating. I was terrified and shocked. I had read about this happening on this forum. I had thought before I left for the Camino, the chances of this happening to me is miniscule. But BECAUSE I had read about it, I needed less time to process the scene and react to it! I whipped out my iPhone pretended to press in numbers and screamed "uno, uno dos!!" (112 is emergency in Spain), "Emergencia? Policia? Very bad man!! I am near the cows!!", Upon hearing "112" he ran like the wind. Within 2 1/2 minutes 5 Pilgrims showed up on the trail, and I asked a German woman if I could walk with her, get myself together and told her my story. Although I forgot to blow my emergency whistle and I forgot to take his photo, I am still proud of my quick response due to preparation from this forum! This is why I want to share this story, NOT to frighten anyone or dissuade anyone from walking the Camino. I believe it is safe and I want to return!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm relieved that you are ok and that you were able to think quickly. I will be walking alone so i appreciate you reporting it.

Great reaction on your part! But I think taking his picture (or pretending to) might be ill-advised. His reaction might well have been to go after your phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am SO sorry for the lone females who experience this. It's always the predatory blokes who cause the problems. My heart goes out to Phillypilgrim - and I hope the event didn't stop her from enjoying the camino, overall.... or, indeed, looking forward to the next one!
God bless you all.
Buen camino -

Hola! Just back from an amazing 40 day walk, alone, from Roncesvalles to Santiago. I am sorry to revive this thread, but after much thought, I decided it could be helpful. Somewhere between Portela and Valcarce (Brierley's stage 26) I was photographing cows and quite alone on the trail. I turned to keep walking and a local man (who was clearly waiting and watching for a solo female) stepped out of the bushes 25 yards away in my path and was vigorously masturbating. I was terrified and shocked. I had read about this happening on this forum. I had thought before I left for the Camino, the chances of this happening to me is miniscule. But BECAUSE I had read about it, I needed less time to process the scene and react to it! I whipped out my iPhone pretended to press in numbers and screamed "uno, uno dos!!" (112 is emergency in Spain), "Emergencia? Policia? Very bad man!! I am near the cows!!", Upon hearing "112" he ran like the wind. Within 2 1/2 minutes 5 Pilgrims showed up on the trail, and I asked a German woman if I could walk with her, get myself together and told her my story. Although I forgot to blow my emergency whistle and I forgot to take his photo, I am still proud of my quick response due to preparation from this forum! This is why I want to share this story, NOT to frighten anyone or dissuade anyone from walking the Camino. I believe it is safe and I want to return!

Thanks for posting this. I plan to hike solo Sept. 2014 and one of my questions was about a female hiking alone. By the way, are you from Philadelphia? I am as well - suburbs. Would love to hear all about your trip. Perhaps we could connect?

I will remember the 1-1-2 tip! Thank you. Leaving for the Camino in June (again!-so excited). Don't regret not having taken the picture-then you would have had a PICTURE of him! Worse! Don't let it stop you from going, ladies! This sort of thing happens in crowded parking lots in your home town. At least you were in beautiful Spain instead of just running errands at home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you should be really proud of yourself, Humble Walk, you were bold, you stood up for yourself and you were courageous and you seemed to survive with everything intact. Maybe the Camino has helped you understand how women can be and when tested you came out on top.
My children, now adult, are both girls and you did what would have made me so proud had they done it; stood up like a real woman should and let no one belittle you in any way.

Thanks for all the support. It has not deterred me from planning another Camino. Marcy, I sent you a private message. Pam

It is an unusual behaviour in spite of being a southern man. In the north of Spain, people tend to be cold and not so friendly at first. Your reaction was succesfull. In that case, it is better to say that you prefer walking alone

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh yuck I am sorry anyone had to feel threatened on the Camino!
That was never my experience, fortunately. But I did experience a lot of unwanted attention and I have thought a lot about posting something about it.
I became friendly with an older peregrino during the first week. After a few days he told me he preferred for me to walk ahead of him and I told him I didn't mind slowing my pace for him and he said, "oh no - that isn't it - I just enjoy the view of your ass". So, you know...blechh.
A few days later another peregrino told me I was "really quite good looking" but that I should wear more make up and do something with my hair - put it up or something. Because, you know, that is what I am concerned with when I am on Camino with my son - looking sexy and having perfect make up and a coif. I am not sure that particular guy was bothering with a regular bathing schedule.
Another time I was waiting for the shower at an albuergue, standing outside holding my towel and clean clothes, when the guy waiting behind me expressed his unhappiness with my choice of pants. He said he preferred the green pair with the little heart sewn on the rear pocket. I had never seen that man before.
Another time I was walking with two other peregrinas, both in their 60s, when a man sitting on the side of the path eating a bocadillo and chatting with a few other men loudly shushed us. We had been discussing American politics. One of the women stopped and went back to him and gave him a piece of her mind and he was shocked. He told her the Camino was a place of meditation and reflection and if we wanted a "hen party" we should have stayed at home. She pointed out that HE had been talking and eating - and he laughed and said that they hadn't been discussing celebrity gossip and rolled his eyes.
I will never forget all the glorious moments on the Camino. The wonderful people and the sights and the food and the fun of it all. But I also won't forget those creepy, infuriating encounters. They became a part of it just like the endless french fries and the sunny mornings.
It would be great to just walk it without having the aggravation of being patronized by strangers by virtue of my sex.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is all too common, no matter where you are. I'll be a single woman alone on the camino for two months or more, but I'm not too worried. Of course, women always have to think about safety no matter where we are, but I'll feel better since I'll carry a big stick (planning to get a pilgrim staff). Just don't forget, ladies, not to beat yourself up about anything that may or may not happen. It's nice to congratulate people who are able to kick a guy in the balls, or fake dial the police, but you can't actually choose how to react. Just deal with what comes however you can and be thankful you've made it through.

Also, regarding previous comments about Latin men -- when I did a study abroad as an undergrad, we had an orientation meeting during which the advisors told us about Spanish guys being very forward and catcalling, saying it was very common and all you had to do was learn to glare at them.

One of the best things I ever did for myself as a woman was to purchase my first firearm, a Glock 9mm. Then I loaded it and taught myself to shoot. I'm a perfect shot at 30 yards. I learned owning a gun doesn't make you safe unless you are willing to use it, so whatever your line of defense is you can't fake your intentions. I've personally trained with my walking stick to fight. Women have an inner warrior and once you make friends with that part of your animus you will not fear because you can fight, because you are lethal, because you are human, because you are a predator. I sold my gun years ago because I no longer needed it. I no longer fear. I'm not prey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of the best things I ever did for myself as a woman was to purchase my first firearm, a Glock 9mm. Then I loaded it and taught myself to shoot. I'm a perfect shot at 30 yards. I learned owning a gun doesn't make you safe unless you are willing to use it, so whatever your line of defense is you can't fake your intentions. I've personally trained with my walking stick to fight. Women have an inner warrior and once you make friends with that part of your animus you will not fear because you can fight, because you are lethal, because you are human, because you are a predator. I sold my gun years ago because I no longer needed it. I no longer fear. I'm not prey!

I am really glad that you don't feel the need for a gun on the camino. But I do like the idea of learning to use my walking poles to ward off any potential attacker - do you have any videos? I do not mean to make light of the subject, there was one occasion when I was very glad that I was not walking alone on the Frances when a very odd character was acting peculiarly. I expect, now that you feel strong, you will not need to defend yourself. I expect most predatory men do not choose a woman who walks tall and with confidence to attack. I like your words - 'I am not prey'.

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

Not pleasant, not pleasant at all, and like the other men who have posted on this thread, I feel so sorry that these things still happen - but such crimes are quite rare ... 2012 - 192,000 pilgrims - I wonder what the crime rate is in a town of 192,000.
I mention this only so that the solo female is not afraid - aware, yes, ready to trust their feelings, yes, but not afraid. Self defence classes for women should be part of every school as far as I am concerned and it is a good idea to take a class - whether you are going on Camino or not. My 31 year old daughter does kick-boxing for this reason.

I am not in any way a violent person but self-defence is another thing. Using a pole to protect oneself has to be by attack and one has to be willing to really harm or it is better not to start. It is not heavy enough to use as a quarter staff so hold the pole two handed and jab fast straight at the face or throat - if you do not move fast they have the chance to grab the pole and may be stronger than you - a polite boot or knee in the testicles can help at this point.
But - there is a way of using the pole that comes from medieval textbooks on fighting with the pike. With this action there is no counter to it, it is deadly (practise this in a mirror and then on a friend - without making contact!). Holding the pole two handed at 'your' half of the pole, lower it parallel to the ground about two foot above the ground, crouching, then move forward and upward hard and fast, raising the tip of the pole so that it is moving upwards and forwards. It will strike the abdomen, chest, or throat, and were it a pike would kill the man. What it will do is to give pain and put the man off balance, possibly even knock him over - and there is no counter to it, it cannot be defended against. At the moment you move call out something Loud, hard and sharp that is high-pitched - in karate it is usually "KeeYii", this freezes the opponent for the second that you need.
You then have to be willing to quickly move to a second strike, with not the slightest pause - face or throat or testicles.
He is more likely to run away before you strike again - but, be aware, this is only a last resort, a desperate measure when you are in true fear for your safety .. to initiate violence is to invite violence, which is why your first and second strikes have to be hard, fast, and extremely painful and disabling.

Mace spray can be legally carried in both France and Spain and bought in many places - hunting and camping shops and so on - but, there is something you can carry, that you may already have in your fridge and that you can buy in any supermarket - that you can use on your food, is small and light, sprays a jet quite a few feet, and really stings and closes the eyes of a predator (feral male human or other animals) - lemon juice.
It comes in small lemon-shaped squeezy bottles for just a few pence ... doesn't weigh much either!

lemon-juice-l.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Holding the pole two handed at 'your' half of the pole, lower it parallel to the ground about two foot above the ground, crouching, then move forward and upward hard and fast, raising the tip of the pole so that it is moving upwards and forwards. It will strike the abdomen, chest, or throat......

I don't think many women could bring themselves to make a strike to the face or throat. By the time this sort of defence is perceived as necessary, it will probably be too late to take action. Personally I would go down the whistle and mace spray route. Both of these items can be close to hand at all times and give time to make a run for it.

I did carry a whistle on my last camino, and having returned home without the need to use it, I threw it away. I shall certainly invest in a new one before my next camino.

What a depressing thread!

I have never heard of using lemon juice as a weapon, but only thinking that I might get that acidic liquid ending in my eyes makes me run for cower. it's a great suggestion, light, managable, unsuspectable and obtainable.
I wonder, does it work on bears too?

I have never heard of using lemon juice as a weapon, but only thinking that I might get that acidic liquid ending in my eyes makes me run for cower. it's a great suggestion, light, managable, unsuspectable and obtainable.
I wonder, does it work on bears too?

I think the squeezy lemon juice technique with a bear is to quickly squeeze some onto a whole fresh salmon, put the salmon on the ground in front of you and walk backwards very quietly (for about three miles) ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting about using the walking poles as a weapon. That's what I did to.
I was walking along the same stretch as the OP around about the 10th August this year.
Just after Vanna, I was walking along the country road in the early afternoon all by myself. No one else was around.
I heard a car approach and slow down....it felt wrong. A man in a burgundy four door pulled up and went very slowly past me eyeing me up and then drove off.
This type of stuff happens all the time. My Aussie friend was flashed walking into Burgos a few days later.
Another women I meet had a guy try and get her to go into his car on Logorono at about the same time I arrived there.
Did it put me off walking by myself. No way!!!
I still feel safer walking in Spain than I do in my own neighbourhood in NZ. Sad but true.
Im not writing this to scare anyone off the Camino or from walking alone. But for me it was a reality check. I travel by myself a lot. But sometimes I tend to think because Im old (43) frumpy and overweight I blend in and wouldn't be targeted. Big mistake.
I am glad nothing worse happened! You're right - trusting your instincts is crucial. If it doesn't feel right it isn't right. If possible it is probably a good idea to be in the company of other peregrinos when you're coming into or leaving a larger town if you're a woman walking solo.
And it is true - I receive a lot of unwanted attention walking in my neighborhood here in Austin, Texas too. Women live in a different world than do men - and the targets of invasive attention don't need to be movie stars - just being vulnerable and having the correct equipment is enough.
Sadly, the same rules that apply everywhere else apply on the Camino. Carry a convenient weapon of defense (lemon juice, walking poles, brass knuckles or a knife). Be aware and trust your instincts.
And REPORT suspicious encounters! To your hospitalero if no one else. Get the word out!

Thanks to all the posts here, so sorry for the invasion of trust on your respective Walks, but a huge thank you for the warnings to be mindful out there as a solo pilgrim.....I was able to walk last year from SJPP to Finisterre without concern or trouble...maybe I was a little naive/ complacent ( a 3 month solo trip to Mexico/ Guatemala immediately preceded my Camino & went without any hitches& included a fair amount of travel off the well worn " gringo trail"..)...
luck & timing are always a factor I guess, but it am incorporating a few of the suggestions mentioned, a pair of walking poles, pepper spray, local knowledge, a walking buddy out of the big towns & awareness of my surrounds on the Norte/ Primitivo next year....
I remain positive that for the most part it is safe, trusting the locals & fellow pilgrims, whilst acknowledging the risks and chance meetings with "bad apples"....gut instinct is rarely wrong, I intend to listen to it
Safe & happy walking to all

This entire dialog just makes me sad...very sad. While I believe every experience recounted by the various women pilgrims, I find myself shaking my head in disbelief that men would behave this way towards ANY woman, but especially towards a pilgrim, any pilgrim. But, I suppose that not everyone had the same upbringing or was taught the same respect for women as I and many of my Camino colleagues, writing above, have recounted

We pilgrims are what is keeping that stretch of northern Spain relevant and functioning. Many of you noticed as I did, that too many smaller towns and villages continue to exist only because they are on the Camino. All of the remaining businesses and services are oriented towards the care and feeding of pilgrims. Many of these towns have a total population in the double digits (less than 100). Without us and our patronage, they would be ghost towns. There are no other local industries or employment sources. Most of the vegetable farming I saw was subsistence farming - intended to grow food to eat, not sell. The large commercial farms all appeared to be growing either animal feed or canola for oil processing.

That said, all of the comments written by others above have offered constructive ideas for self-defense and admonitions for keeping one's guard up at all times. THAT is the bit that has me depressed. One would think that, on the Camino at least you could truly relax and simply BE.

The suggestions that I might offer are based on discussions I had with older (> 70) female pilgrims who were experienced distance hikers. Their ideas are simple, and make sense on a number of levels. Some ideas I brought to my Camino. However they were all mentioned by others I met along The Way. Here they are:

1. Always try to walk so, even if you are walking alone, you can see at least one pilgrim in front of you and one pilgrim following you at all times - or "just around the bend." They do not have to be within speaking distance, just sighted.

This serves two purposes. If you take a wrong turn, then this means that there are at least two and possibly three of you all walking the wrong way;) The second reason is that if you need to call for help, they are most likely to hear you and respond.

2. Carry a whistle, a police whistle or a flat, plastic safety whistle. They are very inexpensive and sold in all outdoor stores. Wear it around your neck on a lanyard that will snap apart if pulled. or attached to the upper shoulder strap of your rucksack where it can be immediately used. If you followed suggestion one, the nearby pilgrims should come running. The whistle can also be used if you should somehow get really lost in the woods or caught in very bad weather that reduces visibility.

In a panic situation, you would blow your whistle long and hard enough to get someone's attention or to scare the bad person away...while you are putting distance between you and the bad person. Having been trained in Close Quarters Combat (CQB) I can tell you that, unless you are specifically trained in martial arts or know how to fend someone off using a hiking staff, walking poles, or other suitable defensive weapon, and if you allow anyone hostile within about a meter, the party is over... :(

Also, remember the international code for help is S-O-S for rescue situations - like being lost or an immobilizing injury. On a rescue whistle that is three long tweets, three short tweets, two long tweets and repeat after a pause. Expressed another way, that is tweets of "one second, one second, one second (pause) beep, beep, beep, (pause) one second, one second, one second (pause and repeat." See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS

3. For heaven's sake, do not wear ear buds or headphones while walking! This goes for men and women. In any town or city with roads and cars, it can be suicidal. On the Camino, not only do you deprive your senses of the full Camino experience, but you tell others around you - like a bad person - that you are not paying full attention to your surroundings. This makes you a potential victim. If you must carry ear buds or earphones, please save them for riding on a bus or plane, or trying to sleep in an albuergue - but not turned up to maximum please - as the sound DOES leak out.

4. Finally, to the extent that it suits your personal and Camino "style" do make as many Camino friends as you can early on in your walk. These people become your "Camino Family." They WILL look after you and protect you. Likewise, if you want some "alone time" just tell them. They will slow down or speed up to give you the space you desire. However, if you need friends in a hurry, these are your first responders.

I am a 60 year old male from the U.S. who traveled alone. I carried a whistle for emergency purposes and had learned in advance to follow rules #3 and #4 above. I leaned rule #2 the second day out from St. Jean. But others kept telling me variations of the four rules above. The fifth rule has already been mentioned, but I will repeat it so you have all five Camino safety rules together:

5. Carry a mobile / cell phone that works in Spain / France / Portugal. Get a local SIM card if necessary. In ALL of western Europe, the single number to dial for a police or medical emergency is 1-1-2.

Personally, although I knew this from having lived in Europe, I kept my phone turned off until I reached my lodgings for the evening. However, I would recommend that any person choosing to walk totally alone, or a woman with concerns over personal safety walk with the phone turned on and the ringer turned off. This way you can call out fast, but you will not be disturbed by the outside world.

I consider the Camino to be among the safest places in the world to walk, or for a woman to walk, even alone. However, following at least some of the safety rules here will improve the confidence level and experience of all pilgrims.

Oh, almost forgot. I have my personal anti-panhandler, scam defensive measure that never fails. When in Europe, especially in a (edit) prone city, I wear a Turkish "Evil Eye" disk on a string around my neck or attached to my shoulder strap. On the Camino, I took it out once I left la Rioja and until Santiago. To me it is just an interesting, bright and pretty round piece of blue white and black glass. However, and for some reason, when I was walking on the Camino, the "deaf mute" pan handlers with clipboards and various other folks or similar ilk along the way just turned and quickly walked away as I approached. Who knows...? I was told it was superstition, but, who am I to judge. I am all about avoiding confrontation. If that helped, so be it. ;)

I hope this helps someone...

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This entire dialog just makes me sad...very sad. While I believe every experience recounted by the various women pilgrims, I find myself shaking my head in disbelief that men would behave this way towards ANY woman, but especially towards a pilgrim, any pilgrim. But, I suppose that not everyone had the same upbringing or was taught the same respect for women as I and many of my Camino colleagues, writing above, have recounted

That said, all of the comments written by others above have offered constructive ideas for self-defense and admonitions for keeping one's guard up at all times. THAT is the bit that has me depressed. One would think that, on the Camino at least you could truly relax and simply BE.

Unfortunately, there is no time or place (except maybe at home) that women can just be. Whether it's going on a long journey like the Camino, or a simple trip around the corner to the grocery store back home, a woman ALWAYS has to be aware and there is ALWAYS some level of fear, even if small.

Also, remember the international code for help is S-O-S for rescue situations - like being lost or an immobilizing injury. On a rescue whistle that is three long tweets, three short tweets, two long tweets and repeat after a pause. Expressed another way, that is tweets of "one second, one second, one second (pause) beep, beep, beep, (pause) one second, one second, one second (pause and repeat." See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS

Actually, it's three short, three long, then three short again, and then a pause.

I have visions of a peregina walking the entire 1000 kilometers, sweatily clutching a plastic lemon, afraid.
I'm sorry, that's sad to me.
It might be better just to find a walking companion on ?
That should be no trouble at all, considering the number of pilgrims walking...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want to walk alone you should be able to without fear. But be aware of your surroundings at all times.

I spent years studying various martial arts, shooting, archery, Bo staff fighting, and street fighting.

As another poster said, I am not prey. I walk tall and I carry myself in a manner that says I can handle myself.

I also trained to fight dirty; I'll go for the throat or testicles first thing. As a woman traveling alone you have to overcome that "niceness" that's educated into us from birth.

Hurt them, for they will almost certainly hurt you should the chance arrive.

If you want to walk alone you should be able to without fear. But be aware of your surroundings at all times.

I spent years studying various martial arts, shooting, archery, Bo staff fighting, and street fighting.

As another poster said, I am not prey. I walk tall and I carry myself in a manner that says I can handle myself.

I also trained to fight dirty; I'll go for the throat or testicles first thing. As a woman traveling alone you have to overcome that "niceness" that's educated into us from birth.

Hurt them, for they will almost certainly hurt you should the chance arrive.
So sad , so sad. Sounds like war not a pilgrimage. I have met alot of women walking alone and having a good time from year 2000 to 2013.

I have visions of a peregina walking the entire 1000 kilometers, sweatily clutching a plastic lemon, afraid.
I'm sorry, that's sad to me.
It might be better just to find a walking companion on ?
That should be no trouble at all, considering the number of pilgrims walking...

Knowing me Annie, I would most likely, completely accidentally btw, squeeze that lemon in my own eyes.:D:D:D..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sad , so sad. Sounds like war not a pilgrimage. I have met alot of women walking alone and having a good time from year 2000 to 2013.

Haha! Sabine.
You and me both!

I agree with Roger.
There is no reason to be so terrified and on guard!
This is a pilgrimage, not a war.

Last year, there were a few robberies on the VDLP, so I started on the route above the problem.
This was not the norm, but a couple of bad guys who eventually were caught.
In the beginning, I was a bit fearful.
Mostly from the stories - and not so much for my life or honor, but because I didn't want to lose my cash! Once I began walking, the fear dissolved.

This type of fear is simply unwarranted.
Especially on the Camino Frances.

There are hundreds of women of all ages walking alone with absolutely no problems at all.
The Camino, to me, is safer than anyplace in the USA I might walk.

You misunderstand me. There is no fear and no sadness in knowing I can protect myself! In knowing that, should the worst happen I'm prepared.

It is first and foremost a pilgrimage. I'm not sure why you think I believe it's a war. I'm talking about basic precautions any woman should take. There is no fear here. I am ready for anything that comes my way.

Look, I'm one of the posters who had a lousy experience. Again, it has not deterred me from planning to return fall 2014 and walking alone which I love. This can, and should be, a helpful thread. It is a good idea to be aware of some of the issues that may (probably won't) arise. A whistle, a cell phone even a lemon may come in handy. But even with this one "icky local guy with his junk out", I had an ongoing feeling of safety and peace on the trail for 40 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with phillypilgrim. It's about being aware of your surroundings. No one is saying you can't enjoy your pilgrimage; just use the same precautions you use at home is all.

I am walking in May/June next year and I must admit that this post has made me concerned, as I have had similar experiences at home, where I was in a familiar environment, speaking the local language. I will just make sure that I make a number of friends at the start, and check in with them regularly. I will also keep a pilgrim or three in shouting distance... It is thing like this that can really take the magic out of an experience.

Walking alone on the Camino Frances was so peaceful. I walked from SJPdP to Santiago 97% of the time alone, it was magical. I do however, have a great awareness of my surroundings, good instinct and intuition. But was caught off guard on the early morning of day 2 when leaving Roncesvalles after stopping at the market a few k's up the road. I came across a small elderly local Spaniard male who was out for his morning stroll. He tried to speak with me but I don't know much Spanish. As I started to pass him he hurried up next to me and reached out his hand, so I went to shake it and as our hands gripped, he tried to pull me in and lay a wet one on me....yes folks he tried to kiss me on the mouth. Ewwww...... I yelled No, No as I released his grip. That was that until many days later, gosh I can't recall where but it was a more remote area when a man (not a pilgrim) came towards me from the opposite direction. As he approached, I felt myself puff up, stand taller and bigger. As we came upon each other, he too reached his hand out as to shake, but I wasn't falling for that one again..........I said NO and continued on my way.

To all the ladies who are brave and take on this journey alone, just be aware, say your prayers and enjoy the peace of the Camino.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

The best and most effective response to these lonely souls is to stop short, look them in the eye, and make the sign of the cross at them, as a priest blesses the congregation. "En nomine patri, filii, et espiritus sanctus." Say it loud. Give em a pilgrim blessing. Smile, then walk on.
Never been known to fail. (not been tried-out on carloads of drunks, but so far, so good.)

The best and most effective response to these lonely souls is to stop short, look them in the eye, and make the sign of the cross at them, as a priest blesses the congregation. "En nomine patri, filii, et espiritus sanctus." Say it loud. Give em a pilgrim blessing. Smile, then walk on.
Never been known to fail. (not been tried-out on carloads of drunks, but so far, so good.)
What a wonderful suggestion!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent, Rebekah!
I often give that blessing to beggers, too: and it's said with sincerity - may God bless them as they have so little and I have so much, compared to them.
Good for you, girl!
By the way - loved your book The Moorish Whore .....

Look, I'm one of the posters who had a lousy experience. Again, it has not deterred me from planning to return fall 2014 and walking alone which I love. This can, and should be, a helpful thread. It is a good idea to be aware of some of the issues that may (probably won't) arise. A whistle, a cell phone even a lemon may come in handy. But even with this one "icky local guy with his junk out", I had an ongoing feeling of safety and peace on the trail for 40 days.

well this has given me an ideao_O… if any"icky local guy with his junk out" …. I will make a replica of this at home and if one such guy should jump out with HIS exposed … I shall pull my replica out as well….. see how that goes :p…..

€46,-
As I was reading the posts here, I was thinking to myself that I didn't know what it was like to walk the camino alone, because I'd never done it.... But I did... Kind of.... What I mean to say is that the last 4 weeks of my camino in 2013 were "alone" because I wasn't accompanied by someone from home, but I made friends, kept other pilgrims in sight and generally didn't feel alone very often. In fact the last 5 days I often walked with headphones in because I was so surrounded by other people that I was finding it difficult not to spend my days inadvertently eavesdropping on other pilgrim's conversations (plus I really enjoyed dancing down the trail to a good tune! :). I've never felt as safe travelling as a woman alone as I did while on the camino.

There have been a lot of really good posts about ways to stay safe on the camino on this thread. However, I'd like to add a few points to consider:
  1. I know this won't be a very popular point but... women are more likely to be assaulted, raped and harassed by people they know - not strangers on the trail. Beware (or at least be aware) of other pilgrims as well as random local men. Ultimately, trust your instincts because they will almost certainly tell you when something is not right.
  2. Many modern backpacks have safety whistles built in. All of the models I tried on had them on the straps somewhere - but sometimes they just looked like plastic clips or strange buckles - so if you're buying a new backpack check to see if it's already equipped with a whistle.
  3. Keep in touch. Let other people know where you are going and where you plan to be. Keep in touch with people back home if you haven't met your "Camino family" yet. Carry a phone and keep it charged.
  4. Walk tall and walk strong.

Hmmm... yes. I hadn't thought about keeping in touch as in being part of "madness". Most days I sent a text message to my husband in the UK saying "hey I'm still alive, my knees are still killing me, and I'm now in Hontanas" (or wherever I was). I *did* tell him not to stress if he didn't hear from me for a few days. You are right in that it mostly served to make me feel safer. I found that I liked to stay in touch with people on the trail and I did see it helping people out on the way - either through sending people back to help carry the packs of injured people, or booking beds, transport or meals for people who had been held up through injury, etc etc. Having said all that, I can see the peace that not staying in touch could bring to some people, so to each his or her own. I'd still have a phone with me for emergencies though!

Sounds like you handled this well. I too, was walking with my friend early in the morning through a lovely meadow full of sheep on the Frances, when we passed a man sitting on a wall. He was truly rising and shining, and we quickly passed by him at a safe distance. Fortunately, he seemed harmless, and we laughed about it for a long time. People are people wherever you go. Some are just lonely and hoping for connection, some are dangerous. I try not to overreact and take into account cultural differences. If I were alone, or if he had approached us I would have felt more vulnerable and afraid. It's always better to err on the side of caution, firmly repel unwanted advances and report anyone who approaches a pilgrim in a threatening manner, for the safety of ourselves and others. It is quite fortunate that the Camino is as safe as it is, and we need to stand together to keep it that way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back